•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 12 years ago

I am a private person: Mouli Ganguly

AMRITA MULCHADANI , TNN | Feb 29, 2012, 12.00AM IST
Read more:Mouli Ganguly|Kya Hua Tera Vada
Mouli Ganguly
Actor Mouli Ganguly's pretty looks combined with her sultry sensuality have become an eyecatching combo on prime time television of late. Mouli, who recently got married to her long time beau Mazher Syedd, made a comeback on television after a self-imposed hiatus of two years. "It's nice to be back. It's important to do what one likes," says Mouli, who's playing the role of Anushka in Kya Huaa Tera Vaada.

It's variety that interests the actor in Mouli. She's however quick to point that the popular perception about her screen character is wrong. "My character in Kya Huaa... isn't negative. I haven't done anything so far in the show (laughs). I don't play the typical vamp," she says.

Many actors, who have played leading ladies in their earlier shows are now taking up roles with shades of grey. Quiz Mouli whether she too is following suit, and she says, "If I do the same kind of roles, I get bored. As an actor, one likes to do various types of roles. But it isn't easy to get challenging roles all the time. For me, it's important to be playing different kinds of roles."

As someone whose small screen success is associated with her turn as the proverbial heroine Shaina in Kaahin Kissii Roz, how does Mouli feel about doing a role that's got shades of grey? Mouli says, "I've just done four episodes and people have already started commenting on the role. Some fans are even advising me to stay away from the lead couple and are asking me to get myself another guy (in the show). These strong reactions mean that the audience is appreciating my work."

Mouli, who has been part of the entertainment biz for sometime now, feels the telly industry has become fiercely competitive over the last few years. "It was much easier when I started off. I remember, I had a casual chat with Ekta (Kapoor) and I signed a show. Today, there is tremendous competition and even seasoned stars have to give auditions before they are signed up for a role. Grabbing a role in a prime time show is no longer easy."

While most of her counterparts go gaga about their marriage celebrations in print/television, Mouli preferred to keep it low. "I always wanted a quiet marriage. I am a private person. I know who matters to me and to whom I matter. I like dancing at other people's weddings, but even when it comes to my birthday bash, I keep it low key. I have decked up as a bride in numerous shows, may be that's why I didn't want my marriage to be extravagant," says Mouli with a laugh.

As someone who married the man she'd dated for seven years, Mouli confesses that nothing has changed post marriage. "I feel as if I am staying with my best friend. Our equations haven't changed. Being a woman, I am just taking up more responsibilities," she says.

And how comfortable is she with the idea of sharing space on screen with her hubby? "We've worked together in a couple of shows earlier. I get nervous when we work together. I keep worrying about his health, his looks and end up fussing over him on the sets. That distracts both of us and impacts our work. I think we shouldn't work together," she says.

Does she feel lucky to have a spouse from the same industry? "Every woman wants an understanding, caring and attentive husband and Mazher is all of that. He listens to me when I need to share my thoughts about something and even calms me down. I'm so glad we are good friends too. It's a huge help."