Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago
@Vedantka,

Believe me, I know a great deal about many of the atrocities that western missionaries committed in India, dear, and it makes my blood boil to no end, but at the same time I leave their karma to them. They will receive the fruits of their ignorance and sins soon, so why should we interfere?

But at the same time, I also agree that we should preserve our religion for future generations like Shivang said, but I do that more by spreading the stories of the puranas than changing the title 'mythological', but even you have made a correct point that the term 'mythological' is still offensive a term to describe the stories of Hindu scriptures.

But more than Mystical Masti, I think we should choose a title that makes it easy to find for people who use google and other search engines, to let them know that they are entering a forum for Hindu scriptures, something that also has a ring like 'Mythological Masti'.

I think we should ask Lola, our viewbie, if it is possible to change the title of our forum, and if so, to what?
vedantka thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Dear Shivang,

Quote;

They have just accepted that word because different Purans describe different forms of God to be Supreme and are contradicting. But they always use the word EPIC for stories of human incarnations of God (Even if stories of Ram/Krishna are also there in Vishnu Puran, Bhagwat Puran, Brahm Vaivart Puran, Padma Puran etc.)
end of Quote

That's the magic of accepting a genuine guru that is the one who is God realized (a saint)  and who has absolute/complete knowledge of Vedic scriptures. He will reconcile all apparent contradictions in a manner that will leave no doubt to you. He will grace you will clarity and understanding that Vedas are Divine, written in a divine (coded , with multiple meanings depending on the context) language so it can be correctly interpreted ONLY by a Divine personality (that is by someone who has divine mind, our minds are mayic).

Our minds are limited (mayic/material) so they are bound to make mistakes, even the greatest Vedic scholars will make mistakes in their interpretations because how can limited understand unlimited? You cannot fill the little basket (our mind) with the ocean.

Unfortunately there are only few genuine gurus in India.

You guys may start even with correcting your own profiles where as interest you write "mythological stories? NO! mystical stories of puranas" or something like that.

Jai Shree Krishn!

pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
The word "mythological" is not used literally here. We are using the word only because it relates to the hindu tv shows that we discuss here.

If you google "puraanic shows" or any variation of that, you get things like bhakti websites and links to online versions of the puraanas.
If you google "mystical shows" you get magic acts. And apparently, there is a band name "Mystical," so you would find videos of that band performing instead of what you want.
If you google "hindu shows," then you will find the bhakti shows which preach hinduism, but not things like Ramayan, Mahabharat, etc.

We only use the word because then it is easy for fans of the hindu shows to find us. The word mythological has been used for shows like this for so long, that we can't refer to them as anything else. Even the indian press, all the viewers, and bhakts use that word. I don't think it offends anyone.

And as for the westerners, the name of this forum is not going to change their view regarding Hinduism.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
What is even remotely "mystic" about our scriptures ?The word mystic is even more misleading .

Gosia, I do not know for how long you have been a follower of our beliefs, but we as Hindus have known for a long time how others view our religion. Why should it matter to us? Do we need an European stamp of approval? Our religion has survived for over 2000 years and will continue to do so...What difference does it make whether westerners classify our scriptures as mythological or historical? 

Hinduism is a way of life and it is not going to change just because a white skinned blonde haired cannot fathom its depths.

P. S - IMHO, the name of the forum is just fine... certainly not Mythical which has a different connotation altogether.
Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: AishuJSKfan

The word "mythological" is not used literally here. We are using the word only because it relates to the hindu tv shows that we discuss here.

If you google "puraanic shows" or any variation of that, you get things like bhakti websites and links to online versions of the puraanas.
If you google "mystical shows" you get magic acts. And apparently, there is a band name "Mystical," so you would find videos of that band performing instead of what you want.
If you google "hindu shows," then you will find the bhakti shows which preach hinduism, but not things like Ramayan, Mahabharat, etc.

We only use the word because then it is easy for fans of the hindu shows to find us. The word mythological has been used for shows like this for so long, that we can't refer to them as anything else. Even the indian press, all the viewers, and bhakts use that word. I don't think it offends anyone.

And as for the westerners, the name of this forum is not going to change their view regarding Hinduism.

I agree the term mythologicals refer to the tv shows based on epics and purans. I don't think it is necessary to change the name as many of us discuss the tv serials and its actors also.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
^^ Thanks to one and all for weighing in on the discussion thus far. I've caught up on most of it, but the following reply addresses only the very first post and the thread that corresponds with it... and it is VERY long, so Gosia dear, you might want to have a cup of tea beforehand so you can get through all of it πŸ˜†

Pranaam Gosia,

Welcome to the forum :) We always feel blessed when this family of devotees expands and we gain new sources of insight and inspiration.  Thank you very much for sharing the information and sentiments that you have put forth in both this thread and the preceding one.  I am touched by the depth of your concern for the sanctity of the scriptures and the misinterpretation and disrespect they have had to endure throughout the years.  I would now like to present my own views on our use of the term "mythology" if it's ok with all of you; I hope you guys can forgive me if anything I say is expressed wrongly and please do correct me if that is the case.

First of all, I might be in the minority here, but I don't interpret the word "mythology" as synonymous with fiction, and therefore I don't find it offensive.  Words are indeed powerful, but their power stems from our intent while we invoke them.  Just recently, Shivang shared a news story with us about a (now resolved) controversy regarding the Bhagvad Gita in Russia.  The controversy was the result of people mistakenly taking one particular connotation of the words "Dharma", "Ishwar", "Devta", etc., and misinterpreting the scripture as a whole to be exclusivist and extremist.  We had a brief but very satisfying discussion in that thread in which we agreed that there are certain such words which have multiple definitions, some of which lead to unfortunate misunderstandings of divine texts and others which make the meaning come to life in the most valuable ways.  In my opinion, "mythology" is one such word.

Its Greek root, "mythos", has a very neutral definition.  It merely means "story", without any further qualification as truth, fiction, or anything in between.  The encyclopedia entry on it states the following: "a myth is defined as a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form… In a very broad sense, the word can refer to any story originating within traditions".  Again, it suggests nothing normative or offensive; narrative just means story, we do hold the stories contained in our scriptures as sacred, and they did originate within our tradition rather than being adapted from multiple origins.  That being said, we are not robots, so when asked to define a term in conversation rather than a research paper, we do work our own chosen connotation into our explanation.  Some may indeed add their own masala and say that myths are fictional, "make believe" stories that were just meant to teach lessons or answer questions but never actually occurred.  However, when I hear mythology, what I think of are narratives set in a time and place that seems so far removed from our own (in language, lifestyle, culture, opulence, etc.) that dwelling on them can be more enthralling than going to an amusement park, and that contain messages of such real insight and practical relevance that studying them even briefly teaches me more that I could ever have learned in +/-16 years of formal schooling.

You are correct in saying others may not be able to read my mind and know that this is how I personally interpret the term and are still susceptible to get the wrong idea about our scriptures and our acceptance of them as reality, but then, I think that a huge purpose for our discussions here is to forget about what those "others" think of us and strive only for the approval of our Lord – Shri Ram, Shri Krishna, Shiv Shankar, Durga Maiya, or however else we choose to address the Absolute.  For a look into what Shri Krishna might think of such a dilemma, I would like to cite a couple of examples from our favorite devotional serials.  Having read and enjoyed certain post at a neighboring forum, I figured these would suffice and I would not have to dig up textual examples for the time being :)  In the song Shyam Tere Kaam Bade Achraj Bhare from Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna, we have the line "dheet, anaari, chhaliya, jhootha, prem ki gaali khaaye… sakhiyon ne naam tere kya kya dhare!", telling us that the gopis of Vrindavan responded to Kanha's childhood pranks by affectionately referring to him as a trickster and a liar among other things.  These words mean something totally different when the gopis say them with love than when someone like Shishupal said them with spite, and Shri Krishna can tell the difference.  Similarly, the word "mythological" means something different when I use it than when a cynic does, and as long as Shri Krishna knows the difference, I don't care how "others" interpret my use of the word.

Also, there is one particular line in BR Chopra's Mahabharat that comes to mind – which happens to be one of Shivang's favorite dialogues from the show – which is perfectly applicable here.  It occurs when the Vrishnis are deciding what to do in response to Jarasandh's relentless (albeit failed) attacks on Mathura, and Shri Krishna suggests that they move to Dwarika.  Vasudev worries that this may cause people to derisively refer to his dear son as "Ranchhod", or one who fled from battle.  And Shri Krishna tells his father that he doesn't really care what people call him – what's in a name?  He has so many already; this would just be another one to add to the list.  And when people call upon him, even if they address him with this otherwise derogatory name, he would heed their call all the same.  And thus the term "ranchhod" was redefined – people no longer use it as an insult, but as a name of Krishna, and in fact some even give their sons this name in his honor (remember 3 Idiots, guys – Ranchhoddas Shyamaldas Chaanchad lol).

If you guys still think that the forum needs a new name, it can and will definitely be done.  We'll need a week or two to agree on a new one (may I suggest Devotional Dreamland), and then approximately 3 weeks for the website administrators to vet and make the change since they don't come online that often.  So we can either spend a month on these administrative formalities to address the possibility that our forum's members and activities are being misinterpreted by others because of one of the words that make up its name, or we can spend that time engaged in such devout discussions that – taking a cue from the original Ranchhodji – we end up redefining the connotation of that word altogether. At least among those silent readers of our forum who are willing to look deeper beyond the title and are thus actually worth convincing.  It's up to you guys, and I will gladly abide by your decision.

Sorry for the rant :)
vedantka thumbnail
Pranaam guys,

I see  from all the post that you truly think in a different way so if it does not matter to you and you understand it in your own way, I do not want to prolong this discussion.
Just leave it as it is.😊

Gosia

vedantka thumbnail
[QUOTE=varaali]What is even remotely "mystic" about our scriptures ?The word mystic is even more misleading .UNQUOTE

Dear Varaali:

Here there is a definition of the word "mystical"

Definition of MYSTICAL

1) a : having a spiritual meaning or reality that is neither apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence
    b : involving or having the nature of an individual's direct subjective communion with God or ultimate reality <the mystical experience of the Inner Light>
2) mysterious, unintelligible
3) having a divine or sacred significance that surpasses natural human apprehension

Quote: Gosia, I do not know for how long you have been a follower of our beliefs, but we as Hindus have known for a long time how others view our religion. Why should it matter to us? Do we need an European stamp of approval? Our religion has survived for over 2000 years and will continue to do so...What difference does it make whether westerners classify our scriptures as mythological or historical? Unquote

Sanatan Dharm is much much older than 2000 years, it is actually eternal. So are Vedas, they were never produced, they were only revealed by  Lord Brahma, Rishes and Saints...

As to the historical events:
Bhagwaan Krishn  descension date is 3228 BCand He stayed on this earth planet for 125 years and about 7 months.
3139 BC - date of Mahabharat war (lasted 18 days)
3102 BC - date of Ascension of Bhagwan Krishn and the beginning of Kali Yug

All data were taken from the book "The true history and the religion of India" by H.D.Swami Prakashanand Saraswati. I wish one day this book will be the reference book for writing about Hinduism on Wikipedia and not some books written merely by some scholars, especially Western ones.
So even from these basic data your history is sooo much longer than 2000 years.

Qoute:P. S - IMHO, the name of the forum is just fine... certainly not Mythical which has a different connotation altogether. UNQUOTE

If you are fine with using term mythology for things related to your scriptures, what can I do????. So let it be.
Edited by vedantka - 12 years ago
vedantka thumbnail

Radhey Radhey!

I'm posting the same quote as on the other link (mythological versus historical events and stories) as it is very relevant here as well.

I've read the book by H.D.Swami Prakashanand Saraswati:

"The true history and the religion of India", it is a truly fascinating book so I want to quote from it in regard to you using the terms like mythology or mythological for serials based on Ramayan, Mahabharat , Shreemad Bhagavatam or puranas. I took the quote from

www.encyclopediaofauthentichinduism.org

There is a divine ocean of difference between your scriptures and Greek, Roman or Egyptian or other mythology. You cannot compare them as they belong to 2 different dimensions: divine and a mundane human one.

Please, read the quote below and visit the website where there are very informative articles from that book, also the one regarding British politics in colonial India.

QUOTE:

😊

Characteristics and the origination of the myths of the world?

We should now understand what a myth is. Myth is the imaginative fiction of the minds of the ancient natives of a country who believed that there were some kind of nature gods who were involved in the creation, maintenance and destruction of the world, and in some way they also influenced the social life of the people. Thus, they formulated imaginative stories about them and started worshiping them in their own style by offering sacrifices of such animals which they themselves used to eat.

There are thousands of mythologies. Every country in the world has a number of mythologies. Their imaginations about the shape of god also differ from country to country. For example, Greek gods are portrayed in human form, whereas the Egyptian gods are portrayed as having a human body with a human or an animal head and with a peculiar dress. There are all kinds of mythologies: cosmogony or creation myth, myth about the last judgement and death, myth of the destruction of the world, myth of human generation like of Adam and Eve, myth about the period of creation, just like the Zoroastrians of ancient Persia believed in four periods of 3,000 years (12,000 years) only, myth about the soul leaving the body after death, just like the Egyptians believed that the soul flies out from the body like a bird after death, and many more.

Characteristics: There are eight main characteristics of the myths. (1) They have no philosophy of any kind. (2) They have no exact time of the births of gods. It means they have no real history of their imagined gods. (3) They have no scientific description of any kind regarding the creation and destruction of the world, or birth of souls and their karmas etc. (4) The number of their gods and goddesses is flexible. It means that during various periods of time new gods and goddesses have been created and added to the mythology. (5) There is no definite place or dimension for their gods to live in. Just some vague imaginations like the Greek gods are supposed to live on Mount Olympus in Greece. (6) There is absolutely no description of the Divineness of gods. (7) Their gods and goddesses are filled with human weaknesses like lust, greed, jealously and anger etc., and (8) their gods and goddesses have never been visualized in actual life because they are just the fiction stories of primitive minds. These are the common characteristics that are found in all the mythologies of the world. These mythologies assume the shape of the religion of that country and people keep on worshiping these imaginative figures for their whole life, just like Alexander worshiped Heracles and his mother worshiped Dionysus.

The source of mythological imaginations.

If someone studies these mythologies carefully he will find that in spite of great descriptional differences there is some kind of basic similarity among them which makes one think that they might have come through some common source, and it is a fact that they did come from one common source.

All these mythologies describe about the creation of the world from the void or the sky. They also describe about the destruction of the world. They describe about the beginning of human civilization from some original couple like Adam and Eve. They also tell about gods and demons or evil spirits. Some mythologies (like that of Germanic people) tell about a huge 'world serpent' holding the earth, and about a certain distant land of happiness where good people go after death. Some mythologies tell about a certain region where all the dead people go, and so on. These are the general descriptions of the mythologies of the world. These descriptions are vague, bear no philosophical details and have no preciseness of the number of gods or goddesses or their living abodes etc., yet they have a general similarity. They also tell about the god of rain and thunder, god of fire, god of water, god of wisdom and god of arts etc.

The prime source from where these ideas originated was, of course, the stories of the Puranas of Bharatvarsh which traveled through the trade routes from word of mouth and reached the other countries in a broken form because they traveled from mouth to mouth. Then, from there, they traveled to other far-off countries of the world. As a general instinct, the primitive people also thought that certain invisible super forces might exist somewhere in the space which cause or control the natural happenings like disastrous rain, hail, strong thundering clouds, stormy wind or brush fire etc., which affected their daily life. When the stories of god of fire or god of rain and thunder etc. reached these people it supported their basic imaginations, and thus, all such stories of gods and goddesses that reached these places were incorporated in their folk tales with their added imaginations. In this way the mythologies started. They prevailed in the society for a long time. Later on, when the writing system started, they were written down in a book form. Thus, among the variations of the descriptions of the mythologies of different countries, there remains a similarity because the basic stories of creation, destruction and gods and goddesses came from one single source, India (Bharatvarsh).

END OF QUOTE.😊

Radhey! Radhey!

Edited by vedantka - 12 years ago