One Shot ---An Evening Of Eternity---

Posted: 12 years ago

Piya finally heaved a sigh of relief. She had been on the phone, fighting with the local electrician about the insane bill that he had left for her in her mailbox for repairing the internet connection. Dehradhoon had recently been inundated with new broadband services, and every time she switched on the television, the latest commercial was on. However, the electrician that had installed the wiring seemed to be on his own trip and had charged her a fortune. Living for almost 25 years in Dehradhoon had taught her many things, especially, to never back down from a fight with the local repair men, whose only job was out to cheat you!

She went into the kitchen to pour herself a cup of coffee so that she could relax. It had been a busy week at work. She hastily tried to get work off her mind. It was one of her rare weekends off. Her boss had told her to take the rest of Saturday off so that she could have some down-time. 

The coffee was ready, the remote was in her hand, and the couch was waiting. She plopped down in her favorite chair and set the mug on the coffee table. It was then, that her eyes fell on a picture frame that was on the table. The photograph reminded Piya of the fateful day, three years ago, that changed her life forever. So much had changed since then, yet it seemed like time had stood still. The face that was smiling back at her looked a lot like an old memory that was starting to blur, but at the same time, one that she could never forget. 

It was the same dimpled smile, the mischievous lovable eyes and the careless or rather carefree hair. Some memories still linger in your mind and are as fresh as ever. It was a strange dichotomy, but she had realized a long time ago there were a few things in life that could never be explained and that they were best left alone. She could remember the day like it was yesterday, yet at the same time it felt like an eternity had passed by. The events of the day played out like a movie in her mind. It had been a cool autumn afternoon'

-------

The doorbell rang incessantly, and it was a shrill noise that rang throughout the entire apartment. Piya, who was in the shower, was hoping that whoever was at the door would get tired of ringing the bell and leave. It was probably one of those annoying door to door salesmen who had become quite a menace in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, the ringing did not stop, and before the noise turned into a headache, she decided to go check who was at the door. She hastily wrapped a towel around her wet hair and a bath robe around herself. Swear words were in abundance as she turned the knob to open the door. The face that she met hers had a dimpled smile and bright eyes. One hand casually rested on the door frame while the other was in a pocket. 

Before Piya knew what was happening, she was lifted off the ground, the towel fell to the floor and the person at the door laughed out loud. 

"Abhay! Put me down.. put me down this instant!"

Abhay however, was in no mood to put Piya back on the floor. He kept laughing as he spun around with his wife in his arms. 

"Seriously Abhay, I'm getting dizzy and I will throw up if you don't stop this right now!"

This threat hit home and Abhay finally stopped dead in his tracks. He knew that Piya got dizzy very easily and the outcome was usually not favorable. 

"What are you doing here? Why aren't you at work?" Piya said, as she stooped to pick up her towel and wrap her wet hair back in it.

Just then Abhay grabbed the towel out of Piya's hands. "Come on darling.. you know how much I love your hair all wet' you look so incredibly sexy" 

"Oh really?" Piya replied as she made a bid for the towel, but Abhay kept it out of her reach. Piya rolled her eyes at Abhay's immature behavior but it was hard to be angry with him when he was intentionally teasing her. 

"Oh Piya, now that the towel is off, let me help you out of your bath-robe as well! Everything needs to be equal na?!" Abhay said, as he winked at her!

"Don't change the topic!! What are you doing back here in the middle of the afternoon?"

"I just decided to take the evening off, and spend it with my beautiful wife. You always tell me to act spontaneously! So, I'm being spontaneous!" Abhay replied with his trademark grin. The dimples that shone through the happy expression could only melt hearts. Piya replied with a smirk. 

"Ok Mr. Spontaneous, what would you like to do today?" 

"Well, whatever your heart desires sweetheart!" 

Piya raised her eyebrow. "Sweetheart?" She was now absolutely positive that Abhay was up to something. He never called her 'sweetheart' unless he had done something wrong or was about to do something wrong. However, she decided to go with the flow and see where the conversation went.

------

Abhay coming home during the day had put a damper on Piya's surprise for him. She had been planning this dinner for days and she had wanted to find the right time to do it. But, now her plans would have to change. She kept this secret under wraps for a week now and it was high time that she told him. 

As Abhay strode across the room, he planted a kiss on Piya's forehead. "Ouch! Abhay!! How many times have I told you to shave?? You don't understand how it feels to have a hundred needles poking into your skin!!" Piya complained, as Abhay's scruffy stubble poked her in the eye.

"Arre Piya' don't you think this beard makes me look hot and sexy?
Abhay said as he scratched his stubble in a very intellectual manner.

"Hot and sexy huh? Who are you trying to look hot for anyway? I already told you, I like you clean shaven! And your hair.. look at how long it's grown! I've told you to go get a haircut a million times!" 

"Piya darling.. this is the style now! You should see all the women at work. They all swoon over your handsome husband, and you don't even see how hot I am!" 

"Oh really? And who are these women?? Imaginary people that you work with?

"Imaginary?? Hmmm.. I don't think Isha is imaginary is she?? And' she was telling me today that I've been looking really good for the past few weeks. The beard really suits me and so does the long hair. You're lucky I didn't show her my abs.. she would have fainted!" 

"Oh really?? I think she needs to get her eyes checked!" Piya made a mental note to talk to Isha. She didn't like women flirting with her husband, let alone encouraging his fashion sense.

"What are you thinking about Piya? Are we going out or what? I'm back in the middle of the day to take you out! Let's go, let's go, let's go!!!" Abhay clapped his hands impatiently, as if this would make Piya dress up magically!

"Go?? Where?? I'm not even done with my shower! I came out half-way to answer the stupid door!"

"Ohhh' you're not done? Then let me come and help you finish up! I could use a shower as well!" Abhay winked as followed his wife into the bathroom.

"What's gotten into you today? Now will you please leave so that I can finish my bath in peace!" However, Abhay looked like he was going nowhere. He had his half-smile spread across his face, and his dimples shone. His eyebrows were raised and his eyes had a mischievous glint in them.This was the one look that Piya found irresistible, and Abhay knew it. Piya gave up trying to fight him and proceeded to take off her towel as Abhay peeled his shirt off. 

They both stepped into the bathtub and as Abhay turned on the shower, Piya could feel Abhay's hard abs against her back. She turned to face him and ran her fingers through his hair and kissed him on his neck. Abhay wrapped his arms around her, and slowly planted kisses all along her collarbone. Piya shivered slightly as he did this, as she nuzzled closer into his neck. 

Their hands moved in perfect unison as their bodies sought each other with a ravenous hunger. It was as if their bodies were made for each other. As the water cascaded over their forms, the two of them came together as one. The peaked at the same time, and reached new heights of pure love and satisfaction.

With a moan of pleasure, Piya embraced her husband with complete contentedness. As they both came down from the dizzying peak, no words were spoken as they both kissed passionately. They were lost to the world, lost to reality and to everything around them. At that moment, they had achieved a new level of bliss, that neither wanted to leave. Piya opened her eyes slowly, and smiled. Abhay pushed a stray hair out of her face and kissed her forehead with love and affection. 

"I love you Piya. I love you so much! Even after I'm gone, remember how much I love you. Nothing will change that, nothing can change that." Abhay murmured.

"Eeesh, what are you talking about.. even after you're gone? You've got another girlfriend somewhere or what?"

"Hmmm' you never know!" Abhay winked 

"Oh, I'll know, and for that, this is what you get!" and she punched him in the arm.

"Ow!!! I guess I deserved that! Haha" 

"Let's go to eden garden now. I'm in the mood for a walk" Abhay turned around and called out to Piya.

"eden garden?? Why there.. and today out of all days?" Piya thought to herself. They usually didn't go there except on their anniversary, because it was where Abhay had proposed to her. She found this to be extremely unusual. What was Abhay upto?

As Piya caught her breath after the hot and steamy shower, she walked to the kitchen to pour herself a glass of water. Abhay followed her through the living room but instead of going into the kitchen, he went to the CD player to put on some music. Piya could hear strains of a song playing.. "dil ibadat kar raha hai" It was amazingly romantic and had been one of their songs during their dating phase. 

She walked into the living room to find Abhay with his arms spread out and huge smile across his face. Piya couldn't help but return the smile. He then walked towards her, put her glass on the table and said "May I have this dance?" Piya put her hand in his as Abhay twirled her across the room. The towel from her still wet hair fell off and cascaded on her shoulders. Abhay pulled her closer to him as they moved together in perfect unison. 

Just then, the phone rang. Piya tried to pull away to answer it, but Abhay didn't let go off her. "It might be important Abhay!"

"Mmm.. leave it.." Abhay said, as he buried himself in her long hair. "Right now, it's just you and me. Nothing else.. this is our dance.. our first dance and it will be our last dance as well." 

The phone kept up with its impatient ringing, and eventually stopped when no one paid heed to it. Piya couldn't figure out what was going on. Abhay coming home in the middle of the day, making love in the shower, dancing in the living room' was this her workaholic husband? Instinctively she knew that he was upto something, but she was at a loss. She gazed into Abhay's eyes hoping for a clue, but all she saw was a strange emptiness, like there was no energy in them at all. 

"Come on, weren't we supposed to go to eden garden? Let's go and get ready"

Piya grabbed his hand and led him into the bedroom and proceeded to comb her hair. They both got dressed and started to head out the door. Just as Piya turned the key in the lock, she heard the phone ring again. "Oh.. not again" she said, as she proceeded to open the door to answer the phone.

"Oh Piya, forget it.. we're already outside now. It must be some stupid credit-card company" Piya figured he was right and started walking towards the elevator, hoping that the call wasn't important. Abhay handed her the car keys in the parking lot, and she started to drive through the city towards eden garden.

eden gardens was one of the most favored locations for couples. They were always seen strolling around the ground hand in hand. It was the best place to be, away from prying eyes of parents, families, and friends. It was here that Abhay had proposed to Piya. They had been dating for three years, when one weekend, he invited her to the "Sights and Sounds" show which took place at the garden. Piya had no idea about the treat she was in for that night. There was no one there except for the two of them. Within ten minutes, the words "Will you marry me" formed on the screen. Piya turned around to see Abhay on his knees holding a ring. She was floored. She was speechless, but still managed to say "YES!!!" Abhay slipped the ring on her finger and got up to hug her. They kissed under the moonlit night and as she lay in his arms, she knew that they were meant to be. Nothing and no one could stop them from coming together as one.

It was almost three years since they had gotten married. As Abhay and Piya walked hand in hand through the ground, she couldn't help but remember all those wonderful times in the past. It had started to drizzle lightly, and they didn't have an umbrella. Abhay then suggested that they take buggy ride. There were horse carriages outside the garden, that people could take rides on. They were again usually hired by couples so that they could have some private time. As Piya went up to a buggy and asked for a ride, the carriage driver gave her a quizzical look but told her to get in. She saw the questioning glance in the driver's eyes but put it out of her mind, as Abhay grabbed her hand to get into the buggy.

The buggy ride was just perfection. The soft rain was adding to the romance which was definitely palpable. As the carriage took its usual ride around the gardens, the weather started to get cooler. That was the quirk of dehradhun weather, one minute it was bright sunshine, the next it was raining. However, like a typical romantic couple, instead of getting annoyed by the rain, Piya and Abhay enjoyed it. After the ride was over, Abhay handed Piya the money to give to the buggy driver. The latter shot her another quizzical look as she thanked him. Before she could catch the glance, Abhay grabbed her hand and they walked to the car. 

After getting into the driver's seat, Piya asked Abhay where they should head to next. Abhay suggested going over Bridge, which used to be one of their favorite drives to take. There was this deserted nook before they got on the bridge that used to be one of their staple haunts on date nights. It was definitely secluded and away from prying eyes. One could see the skyline of the city from there, and the lights twinkled in the distance, as she parked the car. They just sat in the car and enjoyed the soft music that was playing on the radio.

Piya put her head on Abhay's shoulder as he put his hand over hers. He raised her face up to his, and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. Piya put her lips closer to his. 

Abhay collapsed in Piya's arms. A tear rolled down his face, and she kissed it away. 

"What's the matter?" Piya asked

"Nothing.. that was just amazing!!!" Abhay murmured back, as blew a stray hair out of her face.

"I know' " said piya

"I told you today would be special" Abhay said.

"Mmm.. today is special. And what I have to tell you is going to make it even more wonderful'."

-----

"YOU'RE WHAT???" Abhay got up suddenly, and apparently forgot where he was, because he smacked his head on the roof of the car. "Owww"

Piya laughed as she patted his head "I'm pregnant"

"WHAT?? WHEN? HOW? WHO?"

"Who? You stupid.. what do you mean who?" She punched him the arm.

"Owww!" I guess I deserved that one. "But HOW? And WHEN?"

"How? You're seriously asking me that after what we did today...?" 

"Ok.. stupid question again! Ok.. I think this one is safe. When? Right, this one isn't going to get me punch or a smack on the head. How long have you known? Why didn't you tell me? When did you come to know? Is it a boy or a girl? Ohhh my GOD!!!!!" Abhay blurted it all out and he tried to catch his breath. He still couldn't believe it! Finally, he was going to be a father! Then just as the happiness hit him, the reality set in, and his face fell.

Piya was laughing as Abhay tried to come to terms with her pregnancy. It was a dream come true. They had been planning a baby for a year now, and it had happened! "I came to know last week." she practically screamed!

Abhay leaned over and kissed Piya hard on the lips. There was a searing passion in his eyes. He took his hand and rubbed over her stomach. That was his child in there. He started to get overwhelmed and tears started streaming down his face. Piya held him tightly. This was a big moment for the both of them. She wiped his tears away and smiled. This was their baby, a beautiful boy or a girl. In eight months, their entire lives were going to change. Their whole world would be different. Abhay bent forward and kissed her belly.

"Oh my god.. stop! Haha.. you're tickling me.. !" Piya squirmed away from him. 

"Oh, so now it's ticklish! How come you didn't say anything before?"

"Oh shut up! Can we go home now? It's raining really heavily. I don't want to be stuck in the floods or something." said Piya 

"Abhay! Stop.. dont irritate me now lets go!" She declared emphatically.

"Oh darling.. you won't be complaining anymore after tonight." Abhay said softly as he kissed her once more.

"Mmm'. Can we go now please?" Piya got into the front seat and revved up the engine. They drove through the pouring rain back to their apartment. Piya parked the car and got out. Abhay came and put his arms around her waist. He kissed her forehead.

"Thank you Piya. Thank you so much for everything. for being with me and for being yourself. You made my life into a paradise. Thank you so much." Piya returned this heartfelt thank you with quick peck on the lips. They walked hand in hand to their apartment. As Piya opened the door, she heard the phone ring. She sped through the living room without turning on the light and reached for the phone. 

"Hello?" she practically gasped into the phone, as she tried to catch her breath.
"Piya, its me Jeh. I've been trying to call you for the past three hours. Did Misha come there to fetch you? You need to get to Apollo Hospital right away. It's Abhay. He met with an accident and ..you just need to get here immediately. It's bad news."

Piya wasn't listening anymore. She whipped her head around and searched for the face that had been with her all evening. However, the lights were still off and face or the dimpled smile was no longer there. 

"Piya where have you been all day, please come with me we need to go" entered Misha crying " We lost Abhay, I am sorry sweetheart" said Misha while hugging Piya.

Piya's world had shattered that very moment.

Edited by tamannamalik - 12 years ago
Wonderful tamanna!i really loved it.so abhay was the ghost who was wandering with pia.
OMG... OMG... OMG... Its jus HILARIOUS yaar:-):-)...
oh tammy its wonderful os dear .
i loved it .
poor pia abhay 'died .
i m  crying now .
u write wonderful dear .
poor pia she spent whole day with  abhay soul .
Tamanna, you made me cry.I rarely ever do when i read, but when i do, i can't stop...so beautiful,Tamanna, so heartbreakingly beautiful. I love this OS...it will be one of my favourites forever...
Tamanna, How will I sleep now.  Its simply a shocker.  You write very well.  But yaar, this is injurious to my health,  Now I will have to look for an OS with happy ending to come out of this. 
But this one was really nice.  But we had more of Abhay disappearing leaving Piya alone, even in the show.  Could you please write something about how Abhay would feel if he lost Piya by her giving a dose of his own medicine of sacrificing to keep him alive.
It ws awsum tammy...my heart ws pacing fast while readng it. Literally, my eyes welled up wid tears.poor pia...it ws so heart-touchng. Thnx 4 pm.
Tamanna u r too much.such a heart wrenching os.it broke my heart.m so sad.bt girl,salute to u.even words fail to admire ur writing skill.
Awesome OS
I had tears in my eyes
Oh it touched my heart
so nice lovely yar the way u write so nice...poor abhiya abhay died and it is his soul who spent day with piyaaa...great os