Posted: 18 years ago
Abhi - it will be great if you could get something done...

A few years back, I remember seeing a program in TV on a hockey player (he represented India in the olympic gold medal winning performance of 1952).. I am very sorry that I do not remember his name now.. but they showed that his condition was really bad and he might have to sell his olympic gold medal to get money for his medicines 😕

Wonder why can't anything be done for all such greats!
AD ...that'll be wonderful...Pls post a draft..or if you want I can do it ..I have met the President too...but I am sure he doesnt remember me 😉 ...this is the least we can do...and my humble request to all music lovers to join us or please give us any other ideas that you might have!
Media is absolutely worthless!!!! 😡 😡 😡

Can anyone here imagine Anju Bobby Goerge or Kunjarani Devi getting the same hype and coverage as Sania Mirza ??? Why, just because unlike Sania, they are not been blessed with good looks along with Talent!!!!
Heres...the first cut of the draft....add ur 2 bits and we can post the final one ...
the president has his own website and the letter can be directly emailed to him. there
the technicalities of how we can do it here I'll have to leave to someone else...maybe the mods can help....
My request to everyone...pls join in!

Dear Sh. Abdul Kalam ji,

We are music lovers and members of an Internet discussion forum called India Forums. Through this letter we wish to draw your attention to and express our deep anguish on a recent newspaper report about the financial difficulties of some Indian classical musicians.

It really pains us to know that artistes of such high stature, who have contributed their lives for promoting Indian art and culture, have to wait for financial assistance to meet their expenditure on medical treatment.

Sir, you hold the highest office in the country, and also happen to be a great lover of art. Hence, it is our humble request that in both these capacities please work out a way to ensure that these great artistes of our country can lead dignified lives and not remain dependent on aids and grants which may or may not come their way.

Sincerely,
👍🏼
Good work AD...whats the next step?
Abhi, giggles_2005, and every1 who has expressed comments on this poll, just wanted to add something.

I dont mean to sound pessimistic, but how far is this going to help? You might become successful in saving the lives of a few musicians, but what about the countless musicians all over India, who sing in temples, who sings on the footpath and singers like Rajeev who own a small fast food stall for a living (Rajeev def. sings better than some of the jokers on II).. what about them?

Because Pt. Joshi is also famous rather more famous among the singers, we recognize when he is sick because we appreciate that music, but what about not so famous classical musicians falling sick... Who is there to take care of them?

And assuming that we take care of all the musicians in India or atleast the more popular ones, can we change the mindset of the listeners today to start listening to classical? For years, we wont be able to change that mindset and inthose years, the singers who are in a bad state now will get back there..

Whether media potrays the right or the wrong, in today's India media probably plays the biggest role. If the media claims it to be good, it HAS to be good.. until the media promotes classical music and aggresively, it is going to die out soon.. its a pity an i feel so sad in writing that, but it is going to die out. We need to take serious action before it does...
Originally posted by adwarakanath

That's a point Madhavi, but 'boond boond se sagar banta' 😊

magar jab tak saarein boondh mil jaayenge, kaafi saara pehle se evapourate ho jaayega !

Originally posted by madhavir108

magar jab tak saarein boondh mil jaayenge, kaafi saara pehle se evapourate ho jaayega !

Agree that it wud take time for people's mindset to change...but is wajah se hum koshish karne se tho chook nahi sakte na...u never know one thing might lead to another....lets see...we'll do whatever we can do n lets hope for the best....

Yes, I am not against the petition.. I signed for it myself..

But my worry is, we aren't attacking the root cause of the problem.. thats it..