Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Dharmendra reveals secret about Vyjayanti

sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Dharmendra hspace2When two cinema legends meet and reminisce, it makes for great reel and real moments. And so it was here when Dharmendra and Vyjayantimala shared the stage and the "Sholay" actor went back 30 years ago when she was a star and he just a beginner.

The veteran actor disclosed how he was desperate to talk to Vyjayantimala and approached her on his own 30 years ago when he did not find anyone to introduce him to the ravishing actress.

The two veterans of Indian cinema were the recipients of the FICCI Living Legends Award Wednesday at the annual Frames 2006 meet, which reviews the state of the entertainment and media industries in India.

"It's very difficult to get away from the camera. I love it. I want to continue and with your good wishes I hope soon there will be something again," Dharmendra said addressing the gathering.

The actor said there could be no greater pride for him than to share the stage with Vyjayantimala, as he revealed that he had been trying very hard to get the opportunity to work with her in a film when he was still new to the industry.

"At many functions I saw her, but no one would introduce me to her. I used to admire her beauty from afar and leave. I told several producers that I have not had a picture with Vyjayanti and before she goes, go and get me one."

However, the opportunity came when both worked together in the film "Pyar Hi Pyar".

"At the first shooting, which was a dance and song sequence, I asked my director Bappi Sohni to introduce me to her because I had not met her until that day, to which the director replied: 'Man, I have not met her yet myself, so how am I going to introduce you to her?'"

Vyjayantimala hspace4To loud laughter from the audience, Dharmendra said being a true Jat, he went over and introduced himself and they happily went through the song "Tu Mera, Mein Teri".

"I greatly admire her and I have great respect for her. I wish we could have such heroines again."

"Words fail me, but I accept this in all humility," said a dignified Vyjayantimala, who starred in a wide variety of roles in her era.

"Even though I am not there any more in the film industry, I feel that it is one great family and I have been a participant - a very, very happy participant."

"I think Yashji has put together some of my best numbers from my films," added the actress as she referred to a special tribute of clips which was put together by another veteran who was honoured at the function, Yash Chopra.

Chopra received a special award from a Pakistani delegation at Frames 2006 for his efforts in bringing the two countries closer through cinema.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters