sally_1babygirl thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

RITU CHAUDHURY

An economics graduate with an MBA degree, Ritu just stumbled into show business. "After my final years exams I was at a loose end and accompanied a friend for an audition," she recalls. And landing up doing a series of ads for products as diverse as Clean & Clear Moisturiser, Green Dale tea and Dabur Vatika. "I discovered that I enjoyed being in front of the camera and found myself for the first time considering acting as a career option," she informs. "I knew that even if I didn't make it as an actress I had to be a part of this oh-so-fascinating media world."

Soon after she got a job in Zee TV's sales department. Pretty and pert, it wasn't long before she caught the eye during one of Balaji's regular auditions for a family drama, Kucch Jhuki Palkain. And to Ritu's delight she was cast in the role of Neeyati, a small town girl who is married to an NRI returned boy, Vansh. "Kucch Jhuki Palkain(KJP) is the story of Neeyati and Vansh and how he, despite his initial reservations, ends up falling in love with his simple wife," Ritu says. The social will soon be aired on Sony at 2 p.m. and late in the night.

Soon after when Ritu got a call from Balaji she thought it was in connection with KJP and was surprised to hear that they wanted her to audition for another role. "I didn't have a clue about what the role was all about," Ritu swears. She was given a simple enough scene and asked to perform it as best as she could. "And then, before I knew it, I was playing Shobha in Kyonkii... Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi," she laughs delightedly.

There are many who believe that she grabbed this much-coveted role for her striking similarity to Smriti Malhotra-Irani who plays Tulsi in the popular soap. "That's just a coincidence," Ritu insists, but is not unhappy about it because it put her on the road to stardom. "I feel so lucky to be a part of a serial that has been on the top of the charts for almost two years," she exults.

Ritu admits that she was a little apprehensive initially, even sceptical, about whether the audience would accept newcomers like Sumeet (who plays her brother Gautam in KSBKBT) and her along with the older characters. "My mother Tulsi, her mother-in-law Savita, my grandmother Ba are all familiar faces today, they've almost become a part of our everyday lives. Could we become as dear?" she wondered. And was reassured when even after the changeover the TRPs continued to shoot up. "The response to the 20 year jump has been very positive," she glows.

Today, Ritu has got used to being called out to by complete strangers when walking down the road. "They call me Shobha. It feels nice to be recognised as Tulsi's daughter. Smriti is one of the top actresses on TV today. Her character in KSBKBT is really strong. Now in fact, I think it's stronger than before," she asserts.

About her own role Ritu frankly admits that it's still developing. "Shobha's just growing up and has fallen in love for the first time in her life," she smiles. The only similarity she has with this shy, simple girl who's been brought up very traditionally is that Ritu too is very close to her family. "But my mother is very different from Tulsi!" she exclaims. And she has no brother. "But I do have a husband called Gautam. Gautam Seth, my college sweetheart who's very supportive of my career!" she says flashing that smile that has made the girl every man would like to take home to his mama. Only this girl has already been taken.

I hope you liked it. I hope it hasn't been posted before.Please reply!!!Thanks!!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BabyStone thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
thanks for sharinh, but any chance do u have Riva Bubber? thanks again
Teesha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2