Classical singers in Hindi movies?

Posted: 18 years ago
Bade Ghulam Ali khan in Mughle Azam, PArveen Sultana in Kudrat..can anyone pls tell if any other classical singer has actually sung in Hindi movies???
A lot of classical singers have sung in old Hindi films, but if you are asking for classical singers in the 90s or 2000 onwards, then one film I can recollect is Sardari Begum, which had great music, heavily classical based by Vanraj Bhatia, and had Aarti Ankalikar giving the playback for most of the songs. Aarti is a renowned vocalist in the Agra-Gwalior gharana. She has trained under Kishori Amonkar.

Originally posted by preeti_l

A lot of classical singers have sung in old Hindi films, but if you are asking for classical singers in the 90s or 2000 onwards, then one film I can recollect is Sardari Begum, which had great music, heavily classical based by Vanraj Bhatia, and had Aarti Ankalikar giving the playback for most of the songs. Aarti is a renowned vocalist in the Agra-Gwalior gharana. She has trained under Kishori Amonkar.

thanks preeti

Nice thread, Giggles! Thanks!

Ud. Aamir Khan (not the one in QSQT et. al. 😆 ) He sang in Baiju Bawra.

Pt. Bhimsen Joshi sang a bhajan in Braja Bhasa in the film Ankahi (Thumaka Thumaka Paga)

Ud. Sultan Khan got fame through ID in the song "Albela Sajan Ayo Ri." Besides singing, he is a great sarangi artist and I enjoy listening to him, esp. his "Sultan Bhai" composition of 1976.
Recently, in Veer Zaara, Mohd. Vakil, Ahmed and Mohd. Hussain sang "Aaya Tere Dar Par Diwana." based on Ragas Maru Bihag and Miyan Ki Malhara toward the middle of the song.
Originally posted by giggles_2005

thanks preeti

Forgot to mention, thanks for starting this thread. Good topic and I hope to see lots of replies when I check back tomorrow morning 😊

Originally posted by kishore_bhakta

Nice thread, Giggles! Thanks!

Ud. Aamir Khan (not the one in QSQT et. al. 😆 ) He sang in Baiju Bawra.

Pt. Bhimsen Joshi sang a bhajan in Braja Bhasa in the film Ankahi (Thumaka Thumaka Paga)

Ud. Sultan Khan got fame through ID in the song "Albela Sajan Ayo Ri." Besides singing, he is a great sarangi artist and I enjoy listening to him, esp. his "Sultan Bhai" composition of 1976.

I have also learnt the original 'cheez' in Raag Ahir Bhairav on which this song (Albela Sajan Ayo Ri) is based. So, I enjoyed listening to the HDDCS version immensely when it was released.

Originally posted by preeti_l

I have also learnt the original 'cheez' in Raag Ahir Bhairav on which this song (Albela Sajan Ayo Ri) is based. So, I enjoyed listening to the HDDCS version immensely when it was released.

Totally agree with you on Ahir Bhairava. Sometimes, people put wayyy too much emphasis on the ma of the raga, that it almost begins to sound like Nat-Bhairava. There is emphasis on ma, but not way too much that you can sit on that note forever.

Kishori Aamonkar in Geet gaaya patharon ne...
Pt. DV Paluskar in Baiju Bawara...
Shobha Gurtu in Pakeezah (and a few others)...
Saraswati Rane in "forgot the name now"...
Ust. Amir Khan in Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baaje...
Pt. Bhimsen Joshi in Basant Bahar...
Laxmi Shankar in Bawarchi...
Forgot to mention...

Pt Rajan and Sajan Mishra in Sur Sangam...