•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago

Balaji wields the cane

The production house deducts 15 per cent of a latecoming actor's wages

Sapana Patil

A still from Balaji's Kyunki...

In an ambitious step to discipline latecomers who throw shooting schedules into disarray, Balaji Telefilms recently introduced a rule of deducting 15 per cent of the actor's wages if he/she reports half-an-hour after the scheduled time.

The stance adopted by Balaji is stricter than most corporate houses which allows an employee a minimum of three days of latecoming (the rule varies with every company) before any disciplinary action is taken. Balaji, however, deducts wages on the first day of late coming itself.

An actor who has worked with the production house for four years, confirms the news, on the grounds of anonymity. "Balaji has introduced this rule. It is a good move, considering that it is aimed at instilling discipline among actors. But the production house must understand that actors don't arrive late on purpose. Most actors shoot for more than one serial and actors have to balance their time between two or more shows. Also, Mumbai traffic is unpredictable."

The actor was in for a shock when she saw 15 per cent of her wages deducted on two days in spite of her not being late. "This happened because of some miscommunication created by the scheduler," the actor says. "If he does not get our signatures on the muster on time, or if he reports late to work, then he should ensure that he does not goof up with our reporting time."

This new rule has caused a lot of heartburn among actors. "Ever since Balaji introduced this rule, my life has become difficult. I run from one set to another. I leave my shoot and rush to the Balaji sets to report on time. I can't afford to be late there," reports another disgruntled actor. When contacted, Ketan Gupta, General Manager, Operations, Balaji Telefilms refused to comment on the situation

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&am p;sectname=Television&sess=31667212

Posted: 18 years ago
THATS NOT GUD ANYWAYS THANX FOR SHARING