•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago

Arif Zakaria and Namrata
Arif Zakaria, who played a hermaphrodite in Kalpana Lajmi's Darmiyaan, is set to become a father in real life. Wife Namrata Sharma is due to deliver the couple's first child by May 20.

Arif married Namrata on January 15, 2002, after a four-year courtship. They met at a party at Starters and More, on January 15, 1998. "We exchanged numbers and one thing led to another," he chuckles.

Namrata writes on fashion and lifestyle in the Indian Express. "She used to travel to work by train, but these days, she takes the car," says Arif. The Bandra-based couple has started shopping for the baby.

"We wouldn't mind if it's a boy or a girl. We just want a sparkle in the eye of the child," says the father-to-be. Any names in mind? "We are in the process of short-listing," says Arif.

"Last month, Namrata had a baby shower. Today's girls have modern concepts, where a pregnant girl and her friends get together to sing songs, play games and give gifts," he adds.

Australia sojourn

Zakaria was in Australia from September to December last year, doing a musical, Merchants of Bollywood, choreographed by Vaibhavi Merchant. The show was loosely based on Vaibhavi's relationship with her parents. In the future, he will be seen as a cop in Pankaj Parasher's Banaras.

Happiness in togetherness:
Arif Zakaria and Namrata

New role

"It's a very interesting role, where I am torn between my duty and family." He has also done a children's film, Sab Golmal Hai, with the same director. "I will also be seen in Highway 203 and Kahani Gudiya Ki."

What about TV serials? After all, Zakaria started with Campus, and the English serial, Awakening. "I am scared of daily soaps. These shows just consume your life and completely take you over. That way, I have done an episode of Balaji's forthcoming Karmic Konnection."