Kandy Floss Articles : No Comments - Page 2

Posted: 18 years ago
Sky no limit for these stars

Television is going places and so it seems are its many stars, producers and directors who look forward to the year full of more challenges. Some popular TV personalities talk about their goals.

Ekta KapoorEkta Kapoor (Creative Director of Balaji Telefilms): There is continuing fragmentation of viewership. It seems STAR Plus will continue to be on top in 2006. But Zee and STAR One will inch forward. For me, innovation is the keyword. As far as soaps go, my biggest challenge this year is Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka on STAR One with which I will enter a new territory. With my other new soap Kasam Se, a sweet story, I hope to lure urban audiences into watching Zee. Kandy Floss on Sony will be my first non-fictional show. I'll also launch one of my biggest soaps ever towards the yearend. As far as television is concerned, the sky is no longer the limit.

Kavita Barjatya (Producer, Woh Rehne Wali Mehlon Ki): "TV is getting really big. Besides the normal dailies, different kinds of shows are coming up this year. Reality TV is here to stay. A survey has found that television contributes 55 per cent to India's entertainment industry while films contribute just 26 per cent.

Manish Goswami (Producer, Sarrkkar): The year looks very encouraging. Apart from two shows on air Sarrkkar and Kittu Sab Janti Hai, which are doing very well, I will have a few more shows on air by February-March. My first feature film will take off by July 2006. I see a lot of reality TV and progressive serials on primetime. I also see a lot of shows targeted at children. Comedy shows will also rule the roost this year.

Iqbal Khan (Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai):Things have been going splendidly for me. I will continue to work hard and do my bit on television. Everyone can see the popularity of the medium.

Smriti Irani is keen on theatreSmriti Irani (Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi): This is a year filled with great possibilities for me. It's the year of my debut in Gujarati theatre and the beginning of my association with cinema. I hope it works. As for television, content will continue to rule whether it's a soap or reality TV.

Ravi Rai (Producer, director of Sailaab, Thoda Hai Thode Ki Zaroorat Hai and Kashish): This year television will certainly scale new heights. A TV director has to stand up and deliver. Fiction TV is a segment of deep concern. With news, sports and reality-based shows coming up, one needs to look at this genre and revive it. As for me, I need one good show on television for my company to keep going.

Deepak Segal (Executive vice-president, content, STAR): I foresee further fragmentation in the TV industry with new channels and technology like DTH and mobile coming up. For STAR, we hope to put some shows that get into the marathon and others that can lead the race and sustain.

Rohit Roy (Sarrkkar): The year 2005 was great and 2006 looks even better. Sarrkkar is giving me a creative high. Viraasat promises to be the mother of all soaps. My appearance in Ek Khiladi Ek Hasina got me a great response. Now a couple of really good films are happening. So, this year will rock for me. TV will continue to be the most powerful medium, and it's growing.

Rajiv hopes for an exciting yearRajiv Khandelwal (Kahin To Hoga): The year looks very exciting. I'm clueless about what awaits me which makes my struggle unpredictable and exciting.

Rajeshwari wants dance to be her lifeRajeshwari Sachdev Badola (Rihaee): I hope my tradition of interesting and challenging work continues. May dance and music be the elixir of my life. — IANS

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060122/spectrum/tv.htm

Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago

2006 for hottest TV stars

by Subhash K Jha

Smriti Irani (Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi)—"This is a year filled with great possibilities for me. It's the year of my debut in Gujarati theatre and the beginning of my association with cinema. I hope it works out. As for television, content will continue to rule whether it's a soap or reality tv."

Rajiv Khandelwal (tv star)—"For me this year looks very exciting. I'm clueless about what awaits me. And the very fact that I'm clueless makes my struggle unpredictable and exciting."

Rajeshwari Sachdev Badola (tv actress)—"I hope for me, my tradition of interesting and exciting work continues. That's the way I like my work to be. May dance and music be the elixir of my life!"

Ekta Kapoor: "I see a continuing fragmentation of viewership. Star Plus will continue to be on top in 2006. But Zee and Star One will inch forward. For me innovation is the key word. As far as soaps go, my biggest challenge this year is Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka on Star One. It takes me into an entirely new territory. My other new soap Kasam Se is a sweet warm story that I hope to use it to lure urban audiences into watching Zee. And Kandy Floss on Sony will be my first non-fictional show. I'll also be launching one of my biggest soaps ever at year-end. Plus, there're other things on the anvil. But these are the main challenges. As far as Indian television is concerned, the sky is no longer the limit."

Manish Goswami (producer of Sarrkar)—"This year looks very encouraging and bright. Apart from my two shows on air Sarrkar and Kittu Sab Janti Hai which are doing very well, I've a few more shows going on air by Feb/March. Finally my first feature film will take off by July 2006. I see a lot of reality tv and progressive serials on primetime. I also see a lot of shows targeted at children between 5 and 14. Of course comedy shows will also rule the roost this year. Who doesn't want a good laugh?"

Iqbal Khan (lead, Kaisa Yeh Pyar Hai)—"By God's grace things have been going splendidly for me. My future is in Allah's hands. I'm going to continue to work hard and do my bit on television. Everyone can see, the popularity of the medium is growing like a wild forest. It just doesn't seem to end, Inshan Allah!"

Kavita Barjatya (producer, Woh Rehne Wali Mehlon Ki)—"TV is getting really big. Besides the normal dailies different kind of shows are coming up this year. Reality tv is definitely here to stay. I remember reading a survey which said television contributes 55 percent to India's entertainment industry while films contribute just 26 percent.

Ravi Rai (producer, director of Sailaab, Thoda Hai Thode Ki Zaroorat Hai and Kashish)—"This year television would certainly scale higher heights. A tv director has to stand up and deliver as the stakes are getting increasingly high. Fiction tv is a segment of deep concern with news, sports and reality-based shows coming up like gremlins, one needs to look at this mother-genre and revive it by artificial respiration. As for me, I need one good show on television for my own satisfaction and for my company to keep going. Depends on the show I'm given to make. Either I'll fake an orgasm or really have one."

Deepak Segal (Executive Vice President, Content Star) : "I foresee further fragmentation in the tv industry, what with new channels, and technology like DTH and mobile coming up. For us at Star we hope to put on some shows that get into the marathon and some shows that could sustain in the race and keep leading in the marathon."

Rohit Roy (tv star)—"Honestly for the first time I am looking forward to doing some kick-ass work on tv. 2005 was great for me. 2006 looks even better. Sarrkar is giving me a creative high. And Viraasat promises to be the mother of all soaps. My movie appearance in Ek Khiladi Ek Hasina has got me great responses. Now a couple of really good films are happening. So all in all this year will rock for me. I feel tv will continue to be the most powerful medium, and it's growing by the week."

Archana in film on 9/11
   By: Tushar Joshi
   March 16, 2006
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Archana Puran Singh
Archana Puran Singh is excited about her international film, The Gold Bracelet.

"I want the industry to watch me in The Gold Bracelet. It's a film about a Sikh family surviving in a post 9/11 scenario. We shot in LA non-stop for 45 days, and I was dressed in these really long and painful hair extensions."

Singh says this is one film she's really proud of.

"I don't want to be slotted as a comedian; there's so much more I can deliver. The response that I got for The Gold Bracelet has been positive." The film, directed by Kavi Raz, will do the rounds of the international festival circuits before seeing a theatre release.

TV tattle

On TV, she's back doing what she loves the most. Dishing out gossip and entertaining us with her HS-LS (and now MS) list Archana Puran Singh made a comeback with Sony's Kandy Floss. "I have never gone anywhere to make a comeback. In fact, I didn't think I was away from the medium for too long. So it's funny when people ask me about it," said Archana.

"I am having loads of fun on the sets, and when that happens, it means I am enjoying my work."

The actress admits that she has made it clear that she will not take personal digs at anyone on the gossip show. "I have a sense of humour and expect the same from my friends in the industry. The potshots we take, are targeted towards a collective audience and not anyone in particular."

Recently, Archana had to do a feature with item girl Rakhi Sawant that gave her newfound respect for the pin-up doll. "I love that girl's attitude. She's the only one who made me look at the camera with surprise and say, 'what the hell!'. I admire her honesty and confidence."

By A L Chougule

Archana Puran Singh talks about everything that is hot, spicy, gossipy, mysterious and taboo

Having been part of the scandal-ridden showbiz world for more than two decades, film and television actress Archana Puran Singh surely knows the off-camera glitzy and gossipy happenings pretty well. Not just that. She is also in a better position to understand what makes the world of television and showbiz so hot 'n' spicy.

Add to that her vivacity, energy, love for shooting from the lip and saucy and tongue-in-cheek sense of humour and you will not disagree that Archana is probably the right candidate to host Kandy Floss, the show that will give viewers a peek into the hot and happening events in showbiz, be it an affair, behind-the-scene happenings, make-up van gossip, casting couch, cruise parties or filmy celebrations. Without mincing words or sparing anyone Archana will talk about everything that is hot, spicy, gossipy, mysterious and taboo.

"I think it reflects the changing times. What was taboo a decade or two ago is no more shocking. People didn't talk about their private lives, affairs and close friendship earlier but today they are willing to discuss these things. Kandy Floss provides an appropriate platform to people willing to talk honestly and openly. Honesty is refreshing and endearing." feels Archana. She says she is not a gossipy kind of person but what the show deals with and will reveal is not unknown to her.

"I have been there, heard and seen it all," she says matter-of-factly. "And why not talk about it when people are willing to come on camera and discuss things candidly," she asks. By Indian television standards, the show is quite bold. "It is bold because the content is scandalous," agrees the vivacious host who loves anchoring.

"We have actors, actresses and models talking openly about affairs and casting couch. There are actresses who have admitted that they will compromise with certain producers for the right roles. They have even named the producers and the extent to which they will go to get roles," reveals Archana adding that even Sony was taken aback by the show's content.

In fact, the channel had asked Ektaa Kapoor to tone down the content. "But Ektaa refused. She believes in the show and she put the might of Balaji behind Kandy Floss to bring it on air without diluting the content. Sony felt it was bit risky to air the show at prime time and slotted it at 11 pm," elaborates Archana who prefers films for acting and television for anchoring. "Television has changed tremendously. It doesn't function in shifts anymore.

You are required to shoot for 14-15 hours everyday. I don't want to go through torture for some extra bucks at the cost of my health and family." In fact, though she started her career on television 22 years ago with Mr Ya Mrs she has gone easy on serials and given importance to films. "Film shootings are like holidays," she reasons. "Besides I get paid highly in films. There is no point in working every day. I have the luxury of choosing my work and number of working days. So why not enjoy work and life instead of slogging."

After her debut on television she has done serials but most of them have been comedies like Shriman Shrimati, Samnewali Khidki, Jane Bhi Do Paro and Aasman Se Tapki. Besides in films too she has been cast in comic roles. "Comedy is my USP," she laughs. "I have this ability to give a comic twist to my roles. I have immense talent for comedy and I really enjoy it."

Though she has acted less on television she however, has done quite a bit of anchoring for shows that include Wah Kya Scene Hai, Uncensored and Archana Talkies besides award functions and beauty pageants. "I really get to freak out hosting shows," she says. "It is less work and good money." Besides acting and anchoring Archana also has done direction on television. She directed two shows, Jane Bhi Do Paro, a comedy, and Nehle Pe Dehla, a countdown that she also co-hosted with hubby Parmeet Sethi.

"Both were tough jobs for me because at that time I was carrying my second child. I had to do them because I was committed and couldn't back out. After that I decided not to burden myself with too much of work," she recalls. Wouldn't she want to work with Parmeet more? "I want to do at least one serial with him. I did Nach Baliye with Parmeet and we were together for three months.

It was a great experience. But then being too much together may strain the relationship," she laughs loudly. "I guess everyone needs a break from one's partner. One needs space to be oneself. Otherwise it may lead to a divorce." The actress-anchor loves to enjoy her life as much she wants to enjoy her work. She spends a lot of time with her sons and looking after her house.

She has recently bought a house at Madh Island, which is famous for shooting bungalows, private farmhouses, beach, old Christian village and local fishermen. "It's almost like Goa. As you take the ferry and cross over the creek the temperature drops. You are in the midst of open space, lots of trees, small lanes, churches and village atmosphere. It relieves you of all the pressures of life," she goes on. In fact, she is happy when she is at home.

"Why did I buy the house for? To live well and enjoy life with my kids and husband," she informs. "In fact, I am one of the few people in the industry who is happy and satisfied with whatever I have achieved."

Kya hoga Ekta ka?

Balaji's head honcho talks about her two new shows

Subhash K Jha

Ekta Kapoor

Television tycoon Ekta Kapoor is on a high. While her foray into non-fiction programming, Kandy Floss has created quite a stir, with her new serial Kya Hoga Nimmo ka starts today. The serial is momentous for Ekta because it is her first on Star One

"Kandy Floss is catty, but not bitchy. But the response has been overwhelming and now I'm charged about Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka. Pataa nahin kya hoga Ekta ka," she says. "Also, it's my first soap for the new channel on Star; therefore it has to work not just for Balaji but for the channel too. The show is funny, yet it isn't a comedy; it's got drama but no melodrama. I promise no one's going to die and come back later," Ekta says.

So, this show is going to be a far cry from her past productions. "Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka is my version of the fairy tale Cinderella. Nimmo is in many ways like me — she has simple dreams and is waiting for the pumpkin to turn into a stage coach. And yet Nimmo is rooted to her middle-class upbringing. Those who've accused me of getting stereo typed in my soaps will see that I've changed to another format. Nimmo sticks to my style and yet ventures into a new territory. I'd say it's my tribute to the working-class comedies made by Basu Chatterjee and Sai Paranjpe. But at the same time, Nimmo's family is nothing like the Viranis in Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi."

A couple of months ago, finding the actress to essay the role of Nimmo had involved a talent hunt. The search ended when they finalised on Sanjita after going through several applicants. "Sanjita has done a couple of films down South. She's new to Mumbai. As for Ejiaz Khan, he plays our Prince Charming in the serial and Navjot Singh Sidhu is the sutradhar, like the fairy godmother in Cinderella." 

As for being responsible for giving another fledgling channel a boost in the TRPs, Ekta says, "There're several other new soaps on the channel. Let's see if Nimmo helps them."

Talk veers to Ekta's other experiment, Kandy Floss. "In just a week's time Kandy Floss has ruffled quite a few feathers and it is going to get more irreverent. The interview with Sandhya Mridul and Rakhi Sawant was shocking. Kandy Floss isn't for the weak at heart. I guess Balaji is finally getting bold

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&am p;sectname=Television&sess=31800816

Urvashi Dholakia walks out of Kandy Floss set!

The cat fights continue on Sony's catty chat show Kandy Floss. If the last two weeks have seen spats between Sandhya Mridul and Rakhee Sawant, this Friday

promises more.

At a shoot of the show in Bandra in suburban Mumbai on Wednesday, Urvashi Dholakia, better known as the catty Komolika, walked midway out of a conversation with Amrita Saluja over the issue of marriage.

The conversation, mediated as usual by affable host Archana Puran Singh, turned sour, when Amrita stuck to her credo that marriage was sacrosanct and that her husband was 'pati parmeshwar', and Urvashi insisted that such a view just doesn't hold true in this day and age.

"Yes, I just walked out of the conversation," admits Urvashi candidly. "Amrita was just stuck on the view that marriage is the ideal state of being, though she also contradicted herself by saying that perhaps, in the future, she may not say this!" exclaims Urvashi.

"No one's a sati savitri today. I wanted to know if Amrita washes her husband's

feet, to which she said she doesn't believe in such things," says Urvashi. "I couldn't take the conversation anymore, and just walked out."

"I am all for marriage and it's undoubtedly the most beautiful thing on this earth. I think marriage is for the keeps and no matter what the world has to say about the nuptial knot I truly believe in it and am happy to have taken the decision of getting married. I am superstitious about talking too much about my marriage but recommend it to everybody," says the lovely lady Amrita Saluja.

Amrita laughs the issue off, agreeing that Urvashi did walk off, but says the two made up later. "Urvashi was needling me when I stuck to my guns about my views on marriage. I guess they wanted a war, and we gave them one!", she laughs.

TV makes strange bedfellows, and chat shows make stranger enemies. But Amrita and Urvashi, we hear, have already kissed and made up!

source - tellychakkar
TELLY SCOPE ARTICLE........KF IS CHEEKY

Since we are on gossip, Ekta Kapoor's new show Kandy Floss on Sony) is not just classy but even cheeky... From the first show, one gets a feeling that the content is not only going to be gossipy and chatty but also will get more wicked with time. Clearly suited for a late night time slot...

Apart from the content, I clearly think that anchor Archana Puran Singh is the USP of the show along with the animated bitchy character Kandy.

I can't help but remember Archana's Kya Scene Hain, which was quite a hit years back on Zee. Till date, Archana continues to rock the small screen with her unique sense of comic timing.

As for Ekta, you have to give it to the plucky producer who surely knows how to boost the TRPs. Though, this time around it's a different genre, I am sure Ekta will ride the wave.

SOURCE:TELLYCHAKKAR.COM

Archie, pass the goss please

In the first of the series, Archana Puran Singh sharpens her talons to give you all the gossip and gloss in Kandy Floss

Apara Mehta and Smriti Irani

Rajeshwari and Varun Badola

Saif Ali Khan in Being Cyrus

Salaam, Namaste

Archana: Hi. It's me Archie again, and I am here to make you arch your eyebrows ( Action: arching her eyebrow) in surprise and in shock!

Before Saif could get the rosy-cheeked Rosa to marry him, Rosa went and got her portfolio shot by a famous lensman. Yes, sweeties, the acting bug has bitten the Italian tiramisu too. It's salaam namaste to shaadi for now.

Indian Idol, Abhijeet Sawant has gone in for a complete makeover. But his hair straightening effort has backfired so badly that the poor singer now just wants to curl up and hide in a corner. But dude, the problem doesn't only lie with my hairstyle.

There was a time when Amitabh Bachchanji used to work three shifts a day. But that was 30 years ago and he was raring to go. But now he is daring to go back to work and do 27 scenes in one day for a Bhojpuri film. Just the thought of that gives me a stomach ache. Now I swear you shouldn't risk your life like this.

On the sets of Salaam-e-Ishq, Govinda faced a strange problem. The chirpy Chi Chi's chee-chee-choon-choon seems to have stopped. For, whenever South African actress Shanon speaks, she speaks in her mother tongue and Govinda is dumbstruck. At present both of them are communicating through two expressions, 'salaam' and 'good bye'.  But if this, silent communication continues, the 'salaam' and 'good bye' may turn into salaame-ishq (love).

Nowadays Apara Mehta and her on-screen bahu Smriti Irani can't bear the sight of each other. I believe Apara is miffed with Smriti because she introduced Smriti to the stage and made her a theatre actress. Now Smriti has made Apara go backstage. Yes, she has befriended all of Apara's contacts and is grabbing all of Apara's roles. Apara, chill. What's the worst that can happen? People will say, 'Kyunki Apara bhi kabhi stage actress thi'.

After dicing celebrities, let me give you a slice of young life.

Boys will be boys that's a universal fact. Let's go to Olive and check out what our three studs of television are doing there. Chetan Hansraj, Akashdeep Sehgal and Shabbir Ahluwalia are on a Boys' Night Out.

Warning: This section is not heavily recommended for prudes. They will never be the same again, that I guarantee.

Following in pati's footsteps

Kandy: Hello, I am Kandy. I don't let celebs sleep in peace at night and I show them stars in the daytime. I like to keep them on their toes, babes.

If dating in the TV industry continues like this, Amit Jain of Yeh Meri Life Hai may well end up introducing Shama Sikandar as Yeh Meri Wife Hai.

The relationship actress Raveena and her bhabhi, Hum Paanch ki Sweety aka Rakhi, is no longer mast mast. I've heard that when Raveena had yelled, 'My dog is lost, my dog is lost', Rakhi had remarked, "People will say anything for publicity." How catty, na! Raakhi, beware. I've heard that Tandon is ready to do a Tandav and is dying to get her fingers – all five of them – on your face.

Producer Harry Baweja's actor son Harman is very worried about his debut, Love Story 2050. First Kareena said "No", then ex-girlfriend Priyanka Chopra said "Go" and now we've heard Aishwarya Rai has said "Ho ho ho" on being offered the role. Don't worry Harman, before 2050 I'm sure you'll get a heroine.

In UTV's show Arranged Marriage, Sweta Keswani co-stars with the husband-wife duo Rajeshwari and Varun Badola. But this arrangement has every chance of backfiring. Sweta is mad as a wet hen because Rajeshwari follows her husband about like a shadow on the sets.

Rajeshwari, don't worry. Very few people want your chubby hubby. He is all yours, for all seven lives. Hai na, Sweta?

I have to concede, however reluctantly, that stone-hearted Kandy's party coverage always rocks. She makes the most boring parties seem like fun. But, this funda of fun changes from celebrity to celebrity. Now, consider love-making. What works better for a perfect romantic ambience – lights on or lights off? Let's throw some light on the matter. (All the lights go off, and a spotlight falls on Archana) Arrey, not on me, throw light on the matter.

Society Meter

Archana: According to me, thinking of your husband as God is very MS. MS means 'Main Bhi Hoon society, bhai'. Yes, the time has come for Archie, that's me, to declare my HS/LS/MS list. Like petrol prices, this list also changes every week.

On-screen obsession with infidelity: Very HS. A mainstream director like Karan Johar is also tackling the theme of infidelity in his latest film Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna.

Off-screen infidelity: Very LS. Why get into silly-silas?

Throwing Jaya Bachchan out of the Rajya Sabha: LS. Why pick on the smallest player? And we're not talking about height here. Husband Amitabh Bachchan's 'no comments' stance on this issue: Very HS.

Before entering the cesspool of politics, Jaya should have been prepared to face the bouquets and brickbats. Right Mr B?

Saif Being Cyrus: Very HS. Cyrus of Parsi colony Being Saif: MS. Why be a wannabe Saif when you can be an original Cyrus, su kaye deekra?

TV husbands working with their wives in serials: Very HS. Bollywood stars making their wives sit at home after marriage: Very LS.  They're wives, not pickle after all.

Non-star comedy Malamaal Weekly's producer becoming malamaal overnight: Very HS. Stars demanding four and five crore rupees from their producers: LS. You'll be malamaal, but your producer will be kangal, not done yaar.

Kandy Floss will be aired on March 31, at 11 pm on Sony Entertainment

Posted: 17 years ago

Aamna aur Akash ka saamna
   By: Tushar Joshi
   April 4, 2006

Taking them on:
Aamna Shariff

It's rare to see Aamna Shariff going public with her emotions. The reclusive actress is upset by remarks made by co-stars Shabbir Ahluwalia, Akashdeep Saigal and Chetan Hansraj on Balaji's gossip show, Kandy Floss.
Male bonding

In the episode telecast last Friday, the show had a segment where the three male actors were shown having a boys' night out in a suburban restaurant.

The conversation veered towards Aamna Shariff, named as one of the pretty faces on television by Chetan.

Later, Akashdeep said, "Is Aamna… shareef?" and looked at Shabbir. The three then burst out laughing.

'I was hurt'

Aamna who saw the episode and was in Varanasi doing a stage show, said, "I cannot change anyone's mentality." Was she hurt by the comment? "Yes, I was hurt by certain remarks. But I guess that's what most of them think is  'cool'. It's quite sad," said the actress.

Akashdeep said he never intended to cause Aamna any grief. "She's a very good friend. I don't think she should take these comments seriously. We were meant to have fun on the show, and whatever I said was not in bad taste. It wasn't anything serious at all."

Sources say Aamna took the matter up with the creative head of Kandy Floss, and asked her for a written apology. Ipshita, creative head for Kandy Floss, refused to comment.

Posted: 17 years ago
Archana Puran Singh is Happy and Content
Having been part of the scandal-ridden showbiz world for more than two decades, film and television actress Archana Puran Singh surely knows the off-camera glitzy and gossipy happenings pretty well. Not just that. She is also in a better position to understand what makes the world of television and showbiz so hot 'n' spicy.

Add to that her vivacity, energy, love for shooting from the lip and saucy and tongue-in-cheek sense of humour and you will not disagree that Archana is probably the right candidate to host Kandy Floss, the show that will give viewers a peek into the hot and happening events in showbiz, be it an affair, behind-the-scene happenings, make-up van gossip, casting couch, cruise parties or filmy celebrations. Without mincing words or sparing anyone Archana will talk about everything that is hot, spicy, gossipy, mysterious and taboo.

"I think it reflects the changing times. What was taboo a decade or two ago is no more shocking. People didn't talk about their private lives, affairs and close friendship earlier but today they are willing to discuss these things. Kandy Floss provides an appropriate platform to people willing to talk honestly and openly. Honesty is refreshing and endearing." feels Archana. She says she is not a gossipy kind of person but what the show deals with and will reveal is not unknown to her.

"I have been there, heard and seen it all," she says matter-of-factly. "And why not talk about it when people are willing to come on camera and discuss things candidly," she asks. By Indian television standards, the show is quite bold. "It is bold because the content is scandalous," agrees the vivacious host who loves anchoring.

"We have actors, actresses and models talking openly about affairs and casting couch. There are actresses who have admitted that they will compromise with certain producers for the right roles. They have even named the producers and the extent to which they will go to get roles," reveals Archana adding that even Sony was taken aback by the show's content.

In fact, the channel had asked Ektaa Kapoor to tone down the content. "But Ektaa refused. She believes in the show and she put the might of Balaji behind Kandy Floss to bring it on air without diluting the content. Sony felt it was bit risky to air the show at prime time and slotted it at 11 pm," elaborates Archana who prefers films for acting and television for anchoring. "Television has changed tremendously. It doesn't function in shifts anymore.

You are required to shoot for 14-15 hours everyday. I don't want to go through torture for some extra bucks at the cost of my health and family." In fact, though she started her career on television 22 years ago with Mr Ya Mrs she has gone easy on serials and given importance to films. "Film shootings are like holidays," she reasons. "Besides I get paid highly in films. There is no point in working every day. I have the luxury of choosing my work and number of working days. So why not enjoy work and life instead of slogging."

After her debut on television she has done serials but most of them have been comedies like Shriman Shrimati, Samnewali Khidki, Jane Bhi Do Paro and Aasman Se Tapki. Besides in films too she has been cast in comic roles. "Comedy is my USP," she laughs. "I have this ability to give a comic twist to my roles. I have immense talent for comedy and I really enjoy it."

Though she has acted less on television she however, has done quite a bit of anchoring for shows that include Wah Kya Scene Hai, Uncensored and Archana Talkies besides award functions and beauty pageants. "I really get to freak out hosting shows," she says. "It is less work and good money." Besides acting and anchoring Archana also has done direction on television. She directed two shows, Jane Bhi Do Paro, a comedy, and Nehle Pe Dehla, a countdown that she also co-hosted with hubby Parmeet Sethi.

"Both were tough jobs for me because at that time I was carrying my second child. I had to do them because I was committed and couldn't back out. After that I decided not to burden myself with too much of work," she recalls. Wouldn't she want to work with Parmeet more? "I want to do at least one serial with him. I did Nach Baliye with Parmeet and we were together for three months.

It was a great experience. But then being too much together may strain the relationship," she laughs loudly. "I guess everyone needs a break from one's partner. One needs space to be oneself. Otherwise it may lead to a divorce." The actress-anchor loves to enjoy her life as much she wants to enjoy her work. She spends a lot of time with her sons and looking after her house.

She has recently bought a house at Madh Island, which is famous for shooting bungalows, private farmhouses, beach, old Christian village and local fishermen. "It's almost like Goa. As you take the ferry and cross over the creek the temperature drops. You are in the midst of open space, lots of trees, small lanes, churches and village atmosphere. It relieves you of all the pressures of life," she goes on. In fact, she is happy when she is at home.

"Why did I buy the house for? To live well and enjoy life with my kids and husband," she informs. "In fact, I am one of the few people in the industry who is happy and satisfied with whatever I have achieved."
By Televisionpoint.com Team
Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago