Luv Kush after sita ji's mahaprasthaan

Posted: 12 years ago
hiii friends, i opened this topic because i want some information on the stories of luv kush after sita ji's maha prasthaan.๐Ÿ˜ณ actually i don't think not much is known on them after they sing ram katha right? but i read somewhere that kush participated in a swayamvar before ram ji gave his throne to him and luv, is that true?

i would really appreciate if u all can post here all information that we have from different sources on luv kush after sita ji leaves Earth! what areas of present day India did they rule, and what about their cousins, the kids of bharat ji, laxman ji, and shatrughan ji?

Very simply, in Valmiki, nothing is written about Kush or Luv after Sita's bhumiprasthan, aside from their coronations.  Rama took them and continued the yagna, and for 1000 years after that, he did an annual yagna, presumably to atone for the treatment of Sita.

After several years, the 3 queen mothers KSK died in succession, and Bharat's uncle Yudhajit invited Rama to conquer Gandhara on his behalf.  Rama sent Bharat & his 2 sons Taksha & Pushkal to conquer the territory, while after that, he, Lakshman & Lakshman's 2 sons Angad & Chandraketu invaded Karupadhadesh (on the foothills of the Himalayas) and conquered that.  Bharat's & Lakshman's sons were given their own city kingdoms.

After that was the Durvasa incident which resulted in Lakshman's abandoning the world, and following that, Rama decided to abdicate the throne & follow him.  He offered the throne to Bharat again, but this time, Bharat would have none of it, and instead suggested that Kush & Luv be given North & South Kosala.  The two of them were crowned in Ayodhya, while in Mathura, Shatrughan too passed his kingdoms of Mathura & Vidisha to his 2 sons Subahu and Shatrughati.

That was the last mention of Kush & Luv in Valmiki's Ramayan.

The accounts of Kush - his marriage to Kumudhati, his battle w/ a rakshasha that ended in both their deaths - is all a part of Kalidasa's Raghuvamsa.  In other words, it's very possibly poetic imagination, or in other words fiction.  None of them were married while Rama was still alive.

Bharat's sons ruled Gandhara - their capitals were Takshashila (Taxila) and Pushkaravati (near Jalalabad)

Lakshma's sons ruled Karupadhadesha - their capitals were Andavad & Chandrakant - likely in Nepal.

Shatughan's sons had capitals in Mathura & Vidisha.

Kush got Ayodhya.  Some accounts have Kush's capital as Kushavati & Luv's as Shravasti.  But given that no account is actually given of Luv himself, it's possible that Kush got Rama's kingdom, while Luv got Dakshin Kosala, which is today's Chattisgarh.
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
wow all that is written in valmiki ramayan itself ??๐Ÿ˜ฒ  thanx so much for the information bhaiya, i never knew any of this !!

kalidasa's ramayan has that kush died at the hands of a rakshas?๐Ÿ˜ฒ but how can the son of ram ji be killed by a rakshas? ๐Ÿ˜ญ

kalidasa is such a famous and respected poet, so i don't think he would just make up the stories of kush without there being so kind of source behind them ! i would really like to read this book, is it available online for free?

i found this online about kalidasa's raghuvamsa

Raghuvamsa

Raghuvamsa play is a literary magnum opus written by the famous poet Kalidasa. The play is synonymous with the creator and is often called Raghuvamsa Kalidasa. The play basically traces the roots of the great lineage of Lord Rama and his descendants and the great conqueror Raghu. Raghuvamsam basically talks about the valor and strength of the great warrior Raghu. Read on further to know about this great warrior and the literary masterpiece Raghuvamsa.

The Raghuvamsa is the story of the great lineage starting from Lord Surya that produced some great warrior kings. The most famous of them all is undoubtedly Lord Rama, whose story has been glorified in the great epic of Ramayana. Raghuvamsa talks of the great emperor Raghu and his exploits and the battles he won. He led a military expedition to Transoxiana. Conquering anything and anyone who came in his path, he marches through central Asia and reached Vankshu, where a horrible battle was fought. The faces of the defeated were mutilated beyond disgust and it is said that this form of facial mutilation was widespread in Central Asia at that time.Raghuvamsa

After the Vankshu, Raghu and his army came across the Kambojas, who readily submitted to the valor of the great warrior and pleased him with gifts and rich treasures. The Kambojas are presumably the ancient people of Iran who are often referred to in ancient Indian texts. The growth of walnut trees is mentioned in the text and even today this region is known for its walnut cultivation.

It is believed that the literary figure of Raghu could have been inspired from Chandragupta Vikramaditya, as there are striking resemblances between the two conquerors. Chandragupta Vikramaditya himself gained much fame and respect by conquering many lands to spread the Gupta Empire. Kalidasa's Raghuvamsa gives immense adoration and fame to the Gupta rulers. The contribution of Raghuvamsa in Indian literature is indeed priceless and something that should be given prime importance.

Raghuvamsa deals w/ both Rama's ancestors & descendents.  Kush's reign, and I think his son Atithi's reign are both described there.

The story of Kush & Luv stopping Rama's horse and battling him is not there in Valmiki - it's only in Adhyatma Ramayan & its derivatives, which contradict Valmiki in a lot of places.  If one goes by Valmiki, there was nothing superlative about Kush or Luv's prowess that would enable them to defeat Lakshman, much less (by some accounts) Rama.

Kalidas does use poetic license sometimes - like in Shakuntala, the story of Durvasa's curse is his insertion, not there in the original accounts of Shakuntala & Dushyant.  So he could have inserted things in Raghuvamsa as well.  But Kush being killed by a demon is less unbelievable than Kush or Luv defeating Shatrughan or Lakshman in battle.
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Raghuvamsa deals w/ both Rama's ancestors & descendents.  Kush's reign, and I think his son Atithi's reign are both described there.

The story of Kush & Luv stopping Rama's horse and battling him is not there in Valmiki - it's only in Adhyatma Ramayan & its derivatives, which contradict Valmiki in a lot of places.  If one goes by Valmiki, there was nothing superlative about Kush or Luv's prowess that would enable them to defeat Lakshman, much less (by some accounts) Rama.

Kalidas does use poetic license sometimes - like in Shakuntala, the story of Durvasa's curse is his insertion, not there in the original accounts of Shakuntala & Dushyant.  So he could have inserted things in Raghuvamsa as well.  But Kush being killed by a demon is less unbelievable than Kush or Luv defeating Shatrughan or Lakshman in battle.

yes i know that the battling stories are not from valmiki ramayan, my grandma is a great devotee of the adhyatma ramayana, so she told me these stories of how luv kush battled ayodhya's warriors since i was very young !!๐Ÿ˜ณ  actually i find the luv kush stories in adhyatma ramayan more interesting than valmiki.๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜ณ

i guess we never know how much poetic license different sources took, because they all were written in different times and we were never in the treta yug to determine which is right. even the valmiki ramayan we have today is probably not the same valmiki ramayan that valmiki ji wrote, because a whole yuga passed between and so much changes could have been made to the script by different people as it was passed down the generations !! so we can't really say what is right and what is wrong, as long as basic story is the same i think everyone has to sometimes make up something because facts are so different from each other in all the sources!

why was shakuntala story also in raghuvamsa? it's not related to ramayan is it?

Shakuntala story was not in Raghuvamsa.  It was in Shakuntalam.  That is another creation by Kalidas, where he takes the poetic licenses I describe.
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Shakuntala story was not in Raghuvamsa.  It was in Shakuntalam.  That is another creation by Kalidas, where he takes the poetic licenses I describe.

what other works did kalidasa have other than raghuvamsa and shakuntalam? do u know if they can be found online ??

gr8 thread Mina!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

ALL THE BEST for d thread my lil angel!!๐Ÿค—Well, I too dunno much abt the story after Seetaji's mahaprasthan, I know till Ramji's Mahaprasthan only  
But nice info by Vrish!๐Ÿ‘  
While Valmikiramayan.net doesn't have it, the full account of what took place after Sita's passing can be found here

RSD

I don't remember Kalidas' other works - maybe Meghdoot is one, but you might want to google & look that up
KumaraSambhavam- yet another Kalidasa's work- describing the Shiva-Parvati romance. Despite the title, the story just stops before Skanda's birth.