Can a girl ever be I I or Sarega winner

Posted: 18 years ago

With the introduction of the voting system in music competitions like Indian Idol or Saregamapa challenge, , do you think there will ever be a chance for a girl to win.

The voting trend shows that a girl can never reach the top three, instead of being equally or more talented. I thought Nihira was the most deserving one, but people voted her out.

I feel our people can't accept a girl to top. Don't you think this shows how progressive we Indians are in general in our thoughts. Where as in USA,  the ratio of girls vs boys as American Idol winners is 3:1.

Thats what I was thinking as well. Dont know about II, but for SRGMP, I can say without hesitation that Nihira outclassed all the others vocally.

Its true that the males seem to be winning when it comes to public voting. However, I can't comment for certain about any biases until I see a trend over three or four years.
no. a girl cant win. i dont think its because of sexism but more because girls are the ones voting so they will vote for the guys based on how cute they r, how nice they look. girls rarely will vote for a good singing girl over a cute guy. sad but true.
Didn't that Bengali girl win the fame gurukul jodi along with Qazi ????

So that means a girl can win . Its just that last couple of rounds guys have won !! I don't think there was any partiality !
i liked her!!

the gal on Sa re ga ma pa!!

too bad she was knocked off!!!!

A girl should win!.....

Its not on looks!!! geez but some poeple do go by that!
its not easy ..for a girl to win... i dont say they are that same calibre as guys are..but some of them are good. for example... if a guy likes a voice of girl...he will appreicate forever...but if a girl likes voice of a guy then instantly she will vote. and ask others to vote..

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Didn't that Bengali girl win the fame gurukul jodi along with Qazi ????

So that means a girl can win . Its just that last couple of rounds guys have won !! I don't think there was any partiality !

agree with you aparna ji that she has won along with qazi.. but if suppose. in that competion only one winner was to be decided.. so in last 2 there is  that girl and qazi... you only think who would have won...obviously qazi coz he has won peoples heart 10 times..

I think from the voting patterns that have emerged, the female voter outnumber the male voter by quiet a distance. And a female voter would rather vote a male contestant than another female and the same probably holds true of the male voter. Antara's chances of winning were pretty low if you go by factors such as persoanlity, confidence, poise and looks which unfortunately in a society as ours often takes precedence over talent. Another fact that seemed to have gone against her were her eastern roots as voting percentages are never high in this part of our country. Antara is a bundle of talent and it was a pity to see her go and that too on Women's Day.

Below is a link to a feature on her exit.

http://www.tvguide.indiatimes.com/quickiearticleshow/msid-14 42652.cms
Originally posted by Kay Kay

I think from the voting patterns that have emerged, the female voter outnumber the male voter by quiet a distance. And a female voter would rather vote a male contestant than another female and the same probably holds true of the male voter. Antara's chances of winning were pretty low if you go by factors such as persoanlity, confidence, poise and looks which unfortunately in a society as ours often takes precedence over talent. Another fact that seemed to have gone against her were her eastern roots as voting percentages are never high in this part of our country. Antara is a bundle of talent and it was a pity to see her go and that too on Women's Day.

Below is a link to a feature on her exit.

http://www.tvguide.indiatimes.com/quickiearticleshow/msid-14 42652.cms

Well said.
Yeah I think it is hard for girls to win, even when it gets to like the top 10 or five the girls are always voted out early, and then there are only like 2-3 girls against all guys.