Debo's humility and compassion Exemplifie

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago
Reshammiya threw a fit before 'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa' finale
By IANS
Mar 06, 2006, 09:38

By Subhash K. Jha, Mumbai: Hours before the popular "Hero Honda Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005" grand finale, music composer Himesh Reshammiya had threatened to boycott the music contest.

The behind the scenes bickering for the Feb 24 keenly-contested show, hosted by Zee TV, had been kept under wraps.

The bone of contention was the song that the two mentors - Reshammiya and Ismail Durbar - had composed for their respective protgs.

While Durbar thought it wise for Debojit Saha to record his composition in a studio and lip-sync it on stage, Reshammiya had other plans. He wanted Vinit Singh to sing his composition live on stage for the finale.

When the show director Gajendra Singh supported Durbar, Reshammiya threatened to stay away from the finale, thereby throwing the entire event into jeopardy.

The grand finale was on a Friday, and Singh had to spend the entire Thursday evening and night persuading Reshammiya to change his mind before the composer agreed to be on stage.

Would it be possible for the bickering judges to co-exist on the same platform?

"Why not?" reasons Ashish Kaul, senior vice-president of Zee Telefilms.

"Differences are an integral part of any competitive event. We never intended to model 'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa' on 'Indian Idol'.

"In fact, when two of our judges staged a walkout we thought of keeping it off camera. But then we thought why not let viewers know the truth? 'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa' has thrown forward the most amazing talent. And the mentors are as important as the contestants. We certainly want the same judges gain."

After months of stiff competition, the two finalists Debojit and Vinit finally faced the roaring crowds at the Andheri Sports Complex.

The audiences' votes poured in by the thousands. Both the finalists danced and sang nervously but were unmindful of the fate that awaited both at the end of the evening. And the title went to Debojit.

When the results were announced, Debojit was relieved, joyous and grateful.

He said: "I have been through the worst ordeal possible to get here. I have slogged to reach here. Now suddenly all the trouble and toil seems worth the while. I really needed this victory to boost my confidence. Do you know what I like best about winning?

"The fact that my wife can stop working. She is a patient of arthritis and it used to kill me every day to watch her leave home for her job. She can now take it easy.

"Perhaps now I can afford to give her those comforts of life that I have so far not been able to give her. There's a hunger within me to sing and build on the platform that 'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa' has given me. Let's see what destiny has in store."

My apologies if this has been posted by someone else before. And with a resolve that will match that of Vishwamitra, I resist the temptation to comment on HR. 😆
Sorry but already posted. Topic closed.