Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

How much will classical training help?

Dancnballa23 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Mods please don't delete this post.  I know it's not exactly related to SRGMP.  There seems to be some very nice people here that are quite educated in music 😛.  You see, I have been trying to sing for the past 2 years or so.  I have improved a lotttttt from where I was 2 years ago. I just sing for the fun of it.   However, I consider myself a bathroom singer.   I have many faults in my singing that I am not afraid to tell people about:  Lack of breath, range, etc.  I still can't hold a straight note for a long time (like on a medium-high note), and it cracks very occasionally, which just throws away a lot of confidence.  I even tried a Vocal Class at my community college to see if I can improve.  But my voice teacher was a Soprano who sang like the "Opera" singers.  I had learned many things from her, but  I didn't exactly "Improve" in anything, I just gained some more knowledge.   We did have to sing 3 english classical songs infront of the class though!  That was nervwrecking at first, but it then seemed ok!  Sorry I am starting to digress.   Well after so much research I have found this lady that teaches classical music.  She says she charges $30 an hour.  I don't know if that is a lot compared to the cost for a guru in India.  There will only be ONE class a week for one hour.  Will I learn ANYTHING IN ONE HOUR? I am still thinking about it, but I wanted your opinion first on how affective this training can be.   I really want to improve, because music has become a huge part of my life, and I will like to keep it that way.  Thanks for reading and can't wait for your comments!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Bhaskar.T thumbnail
Don't worry any topic related to music is also allowed.

And topics like these are very much appreciated. They make constructive posts. And with you maybe many of us can get to learn a lot from such posts.

Dancnballa23 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: adwarakanath

Dancabellaji, one hour a week is a bit less for classical training. And who's this lady who's charging 30 fricken dollars an hour? Whoa!! Is she Chandrakantha Courtney?

Classical training makes a hell lotta difference to your gala's flexibility, knowledge and subsequent improvement.

Best of luck 👍🏼

Thanks adwarakanathji.  Yeah that's how much it costs over here.  She is actually a little cheaper.  Over here (in the US), teachers for just singing (non-indian) charge even up to $100 an hour.  It's crazy 😕.  Do you think I should just try to find a cd filled with raagas and practice on those to improve my range and singing?  I wish i knew how to do Riyaaz, but I don't know the procedure.  I know it should be 2 hours a day in the morning hours, but I am up for it!  The sad part is that I can't seem to find a hint of guidance over here, not even for riyaaz.

Dancnballa23 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Bhaskar.T

Don't worry any topic related to music is also allowed.

And topics like these are very much appreciated. They make constructive posts. And with you maybe many of us can get to learn a lot from such posts.

Thanks! You are too kind. 😉

coolsaints11 thumbnail
I think 30 dollars per hour is not expensive since you are looking for classical training of Indian singing in USA..You should consider yourself lucky if you find such a Guru...and an hour of lesson per week is just perfect...that just cost you 30 dollars in a week

Remember whatever you learn from that Guru in one hour, you should practice that for at least 2 hours a day the following week..in the early morning..So you have 15 hours of training in a week for 30 dollars..Just 2 dollars per hour.. 😃

The Guru can give you guidance for 1 hour.., but the main riyaz is yours..riyaz..riyaz and riyaz for the next week..

Again know your limits...Are you waking up the household at 3 am...Are doing riyaaz too much that you have a bad throat...and cannot go to work/school next day..

Your thread is making me think about learning music.. 😃
RIPSI thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Dancnballa23

Thanks adwarakanathji. Yeah that's how much it costs over here. She is actually a little cheaper. Over here (in the US), teachers for just singing (non-indian) charge even up to $100 an hour. It's crazy 😕. Do you think I should just try to find a cd filled with raagas and practice on those to improve my range and singing? I wish i knew how to do Riyaaz, but I don't know the procedure. I know it should be 2 hours a day in the morning hours, but I am up for it! The sad part is that I can't seem to find a hint of guidance over here, not even for riyaaz.

classical training is important to improve ur singing. they teach u the right way of singing, when to breath but but rihaz is very important to fine tune ur singing. at least an hr of singing in the morning will improve the flexibility of ur throat and long alapanas will improve ur quality of singing.
Dancnballa23 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Tansensez

Teachers charge upto $40 an hour in New York. Which part of USA are you from? I can point you to some teachers. I myself used to teach but have stopped after taking over a business. An hour a week is good enough if you take back the tapes from your teacher and then follow them religiously. Progress will be slow but you will improve.
Good Luck

Los Angeles, California 😉

punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Here in Singapore, I have found a teacher who teaches Hindustani for $40 an hour, once a week. I think riyaaz is the key but one must not stretch the vocal cords more than what is comfortably possible in the beginning, otherwise one can damage the tissues.
Dancnballa23 thumbnail
Thank you so much for your advise everyone. Everyone is 100% correct! My hope has risen after reading your responses. 😊
Dancnballa23 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: adwarakanath

my dear ms. dancabella, if everyone could learn music by just listening to a few raagas and repeating them, then all of us would be professional gavaiyyas by now. Music doesn't work that way.😉😉😉

I agree with coolsaintsji. It's riyaaz, riyaaz and riyaaz.

Woah! Woah! Woah! I am not a ms.  I am a Mr. 😆