Woh Rehne Waali Mehlo Ki

GupShup - "Cooking" - Page 4

TiNa58 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

This content was originally posted by-Aparna_BD

O,K i enjoy cooking most of the times !! BUT since i have to cook dinner for US everyday i am often bored !!

I cook every thing Indian mostly and love trying new recipies !! I have a shelf full of recipie books and i often browse through them !! I love the Food Network on T.V !! Basically i am a through and through foodie !! 😳

I have a interesting anecdote on how i started to cook !!
O.K i was 19 and dating my husband (then Boy friend) !! One afternoon my dear boyfriend asked me to make him tea !! Very sadly my cook had cleaned up the kitchen and left for the day !! I realised the milk hadn't been boiled yet !!( For those Americans , In India we get these packet milk ........first you cut the packet .....pour it in a large vessel and must boil the milk before using it ). Now i didn't know the art of cutting those packets and neatly pouring it in the vessel so i first spilt half a packet on myself !! Next after i put the milk for boiling .............my basic physics failed me !! I didn't know what was "boiling" !! 😳 So i stared at the milk and wondered .....how the heck will i know once the milk has "boiled" !!I was in tears and then i finally pulled my boy friend in the Kitchen to ask him to help !!!

He was shocked and not too amused !! He gave me a long lecture as he must have realised ...............what the hell i was planning to marry this dame !!

Finally i decided to ask my cook and my mom to teach me cooking !! 😳

And now i cook every thing !! 😊

Gosh, Aparna! Must've been really embarassing..I've learned something out of this. Gotta learn how to cook soon..😆 Oh, I didn't know what boiling was a year back. My mum was teaching me how to prepare tea and told me to have the milk boiled. I asked her how does milk look like when it's boiling. She gave me this look and started laughing! And said "You seriously don't know?"...😕😆

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TiNa58 thumbnail

Yup it was embarrasing !!😳😳 But now my ex- boyfriend and current hubby is all praises for my cooking !! And he better be ..............when ever he grumbles i just stop cooking and tell him i don't have the inspiration to cook so lets do a take out !! So that fixes him.😆

Tip for you kunwari girls !!😉

Hehe...That's a good tip..will use it someday..😉

Aparna_BD thumbnail
This content was originally posted by-mtina58

My mum was teaching me how to prepare tea and told me to have the milk boiled. I asked her how does milk look like when it's boiling. She gave me this look and started laughing! And said "You seriously don't know?"...😕😆

Tina you too didn't know what a boiling milk should look like ???????😲😲😲

I thought i was the only fool !!😆😆 Come join the gang !!!!
TiNa58 thumbnail

Tina you too didn't know what a boiling milk should look like ???????😲😲😲

I thought i was the only fool !!😆😆 Come join the gang !!!!

😆 Yup, I never knew..But I do now..😳

Huma2 thumbnail
after reading all this and the fact i mite be married soon i dared to enter the kitchen today...and for now just observed mum make chicken achar or something...errr looked a bit complex 😕 ...but hopeflly with time...lolz well theres a start! thanks guys for putting up this topic and discussing it has motivated me whereas i have totally lacked motivation over the past 22 yrs...i think now might be the time to learn...
TiNa58 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by-Huma2

after reading all this and the fact i mite be married soon i dared to enter the kitchen today...and for now just observed mum make chicken achar or something...errr looked a bit complex 😕 ...but hopeflly with time...lolz well theres a start! thanks guys for putting up this topic and discussing it has motivated me whereas i have totally lacked motivation over the past 22 yrs...i think now might be the time to learn...

Wow, Nargis! 👏 That's a start, at least..Yay!! 👏 I was just in the kitchen rite now, helping my mum stir the spinach she was cooking..hehe..😳

Aparna_BD thumbnail
This content was originally posted by-TiNa58

Wow, Nargis! That's a start, at least..Yay!! I was just in the kitchen rite now, helping my mum stir the spinach she was cooking..hehe..

Good job Tina !

I remember when i first started to learn cooking ( was 19-20 then), i started to write down recipies . I had phrases in my cooking notebook like " Dalchini- amount should be the size of your little finger " , and i drew the Tejapatta size in my notebook for approximity , I wrote down the exact amount of salt , red chilly powder , haldi needed . and dal is cooked only when you can squash the grain with your finger. etc etc .

Now when i cook and write recipe i write salt to taste , i don't need to know how much jeera , dhaniya etc to put . It comes to you when you cook on a daily basis.

Also girls its good and important to learn how to cook the basic - like learn dal , learn 2 -3 veg dishes you like . But once you guys are thrown in a situation when you have to cook ...........you guys will learn on your own . Neccesity drives every one to become a chef !
Huma2 thumbnail
lols...thanks aparna for the advice 😃
TiNa58 thumbnail
Thanx for the tip, Aparna..I definitely need it. My mum tells me that once you get used to cooking, you'd learn how much of 'this' and 'that' to add..
Shruthilaya thumbnail
i relax through cooking.
my biggestt disaster - i tried making a choco cake. it didn't bake at all! so i got soooooo frustrated, i left it in da oven for an hour over 30 min given in da recipe book! it burnt to da core!😆

i otherwise cook daily, it comes out great!!! i make chinese food best and mughlai to an extent. other dan dat, i also cook ghar ka khana ofcourse!