sawariyah thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Sonam discussed her dreams with Sanjay Bhansali first

Anil Kapoor speaks about his daughter Sonam and her debut in Hindi films for the first time ever… Of course, he also talks about his own work - Kunal M Shah

Anil Kapoor

Sonam Kapoor

Your daughter Sonam is making her debut in Saawaria. How does it feel?

I am very happy as a parent. She could not have asked for a better break than a film with Sanjay Leela Bhansali. I have known Sanjay since the time I shot for Parinda. The kind of work that he has been doing is unparalleled. Today he is no less than great filmmakers like Bimal Roy, Guru Dutt and Raj Kapoor and as a parent it makes me very happy that she will make her debut in his film. I am sure she will learn much more by working with him and being trained by him, than she would learn in any acting institute. But yes, I am also nervous and anxious, and keeping my fingers crossed for her.

What was your reaction when you learnt that Sonam wished to take up acting?

Well, she has had a very protective childhood.  In fact, she was apprehensive to tell me about her ambitions directly. She told me about it indirectly, talking more about writing and direction, than acting. Actually, Sonam discussed her aspirations with Sanjay, before she shared them with me.

Did you ever think that she would choose acting as her profession?

No. But I prefer to encourage my kids and see to it that they get to do whatever makes them happy. My father was forced by my grandfather to get into a certain profession even though he was passionate about another. I was the first actor in my family, but I too wasted so much time doing what I was unhappy doing simply because I didn't make my aspirations known to my family.

It has been almost 23 years since you made your debut. What keeps you going at this age, when your counterparts are already playing the roles of fathers and elder brothers?

I have been playing character-oriented roles all through my career. I don't have too many films as a romantic lead. I have always been the main protagonist of the story and never had a romantic image. And this image is helping me today to keep me going. The strong characters that I have played have had a major impact on the audiences' mind. Today too, my roles are varied. For instance, I am playing a romantic character in Salaam-E-Ishq and a comic underworld don in Welcome.

You have just been selected brand ambassador of South Africa. What do you think of the country?

First of all, it's a great honour for me. I really don't know what I have done to be selected for this honour. But talking about the city, yes I have travelled extensively in South Africa and even shot some films there. And I can truly say that it's like heaven on earth. It's a beautiful country. My job, as brand ambassador, includes everything that I can do for South Africa in my capacity.

You have been selected for the 'Wall of fame' by IFFA and Shringar films.  What is that about?

This is a trend started by Shringar Films. Last year they had a wall of fame for Amitabh Bachchan, this year they have selected me. Basically it's like an exhibition that travels from one multiplex to another and all my work from 1979 to 2006 will be displayed at all Shringar Films multiplexes,  like Fame. Right from my costumes to my pictures to my films and my trophies will be displayed on the walls of the theatres. It's a great honour for me and I must say that they have a lot of research on me.

You keep on experimenting with your look and play unconventional characters. Doesn't this make you insecure, since finally you are a star within Bollywood's system?

No. My films like Lamhe, Eshwaar or Taal, or even My Wife's Murder, have seen me in unconventional characters. I constantly do the balancing act. If I do My Wife's Murder on the one hand, I also do a No Entry on the other.  There is no reason to be insecure. Audiences are enjoying unconventional roles and films today.

You are supposed to get the Lifetime Achievement award this year at the Mami Film Festival…

I don't know that for sure yet. A lot of my journalist friends have been saying so. I can only say that everything seems to be coming together for me at the same time. The festival will be held in the end of March, but the official announcement is yet to come.

You recently hosted a party for Will Smith, but not many people are aware of it.  Any reason for keeping it so low-profile?

The party was held at my residence and whenever there is an event at my house, I try to keep it as private and personal as I can. This was a personal occasion too. I wanted everyone to relax without the stress of having photographers clicking them. That's the main reason why I kept the party low-profile.

Finally what are you looking forward to, on the film front?

Right now, only Salaam-E-Ishq and Welcome. There is also another very interesting project coming up which I must keep under wraps now.  I can talk about it after about a week.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MS.ATTITUDE thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
SHE SEEMS TO B N OK GAL NT STUNNING OR EVEN PRETTY