Debate Mansion

Offensive drawing of prohphet muhhammad

usachick821 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

i think we all heard about the drawing of the prophet muhhammad with a turban carrying a bomb that was published in many danish newspapers and in other european countries that has caused an outrage in the islamic world. Muslims have also demanded that the european paper give an apology to the Islamic world.  They paper apologised for offending people but said that it does not apologise for printing it. In muslim religion it is very offending if you draw any picture of muhhammad, especially if u show him as a terrorist (which i thought was very wrong)

So what do u think? was the paper right on not apologising for printing that cartoon, or were they wrong? and should the islamic world react with outrage or shouldnt it?

I personally think that the paper should apologise.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
I just read this in the BBC. Pasting an excerpt from the article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4672642.stm "The paper had apologised a day earlier for causing offence to Muslims, although it maintained it was legal under Danish law to print them. Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen welcomed the paper's apology, but has rejected calls to punish the paper, saying the government cannot censor the press."

However, I do agree that such a cartoon is nothing short of offensive. Freedom of expression is all well and good, but there should be some limitations.

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Its 100% offensive and disrespectfull . Freedom of expression / speach is great , but this goes beyond that !!

I was reminded of that novel i once mentioned in this section it had a Hindu God Shiv ji wearing sunglasses and looking foolish . Although that was disresptfull , but this picture with the Prohpet Muhammad holding a bomb is sick .
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
😡

sorrie......i knoe i shudnt post emotionz wen deb8in a serious matter but i can control my emotions.

sum ppl...uff...der 2222 muchhhhh
i mean c'mon jus cuz u have freedum 2 do as u pleez dun mean u du sumthng like tht......freedom mean tht u do wateva u want as long as itz not harming othrz in newaii.........and this was super harmful......4get religious figure they have no right 2 do nething like tht abt ne1........ok v can all agree tht political figures rnt as honorable or respectable az religious figures and no1 wud do sumthng lyke tht 2 a political figure w.o cre8in a controvery so how do they thnk they can do sumthng like tht 2 a religious figure and think they can get away with it????? apology jus isnt enuff.....im not sayinf this jus cuz im Muslim and it was prophet Muhammad (pbuh) but i wud say the same if i saw ne other religios person of tht status being mocked
anjali.nair thumbnail
that cartoon of prophet muhammed (pbuh) was highly offensive. the fact that the paper is not apologising for printing that cartoon makes it even more insulting. they should learn that freedom of speech doesn't give them the right to hurt the sentiments of a community.
mkzara thumbnail
i agree it is true that they have the freedom of press and that is all well and good but taht doesnt mean people should go around insulting others' faiths and beliefs and their religious figures. i am so against of what they depict on tv like cartoons of jesus and god and its horrendous. I really believe people need to respect each others religions even if they dont agree with them. this wasn't about freedom of press but about hurting people. I just feel that it was more about showing that "look we can do this and you cant stop us" than about freedom of press.
tanushree thumbnail
Its downrite disrespectful. there has to some limit to freedom of expression. must say its in very poor taste!
sowmyaa thumbnail
Originally posted by: Anjali.Nair

that cartoon of prophet muhammed (pbuh) was highly offensive. the fact
that the paper is not apologising for printing that cartoon makes it
even more insulting. they should learn that freedom of speech doesn't
give them the right to hurt the sentiments of a community.

I totally agree...!
Dementrus thumbnail
You guys crack me up, ever heard about free speech? The cartoon was not meant to be disrespectfull or even if it was whats the big deal? there is no point making such a mess about it, I mean media makes fun of Jesus all the time. Infact Jesus is the guy who gets most picked on. Muslims just take their religeon way to seriously. And the newspaper has already apologized.

By the way the gates are now open have a look at this website ***********what are muslims gonna do about it? Block the internet?

Moderator's Note:
PLs do not post sites that are likely 2 offend members

Edited by samie - 18 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail
Dementrus we are not having competition whether who offends what God more or less. It is about hurting people's feelings. And people do take it seriously when someone else who does not belive their God try to mock about it. Like if Jesus Christ was cartooned and potrayed funny in Pakistan News Paper do you think Christians would like it? But same thing was done by chirstian in US or UK then it would 've been considered funny maybe. What I am saying is when people from other believe point fingre at something they don't believe it becomes hurtfull for opposite party. And just because you show disrespect to "your" God does not mean you get right to disrespect some elses belif.