Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago

2022/2/9 - IMPORTANT - SS moved to 

jazzerette | Archive of Our Own

The Yellow Dot of Eternal Joy

Part One

A sudden breeze brought me back to home

My dark stands challenged by your Chrome

"Have you seen my yellow umbrella Dadi? Please tell me you have seen my yellow umbrella. Please, please, please!!"

I jerked open my eyes as the beautiful voice chimed in my ears. I took in my surroundings through the haze of uncertainty, arching my back to release the tension I held within. As the wispy white curtains of the windows caressed at my face, my eyes got accustomed to violet of the Caf I remembered being in since four in the morning.

Savitri Rekhi, or Dadi as everybody fondly called her, truly filled up the void of the missing grandmother in my life and her cozy little caf nestled in the corner of the ground floor of our office building was often my oasis when stress hit me in full force and the office walls threatened to creep up on me. Caf Chrome was second home for me since my interning days in our family firm. Technically speaking my third home. The only third place I could be found at apart from my two homes and office. My apartment in London did not count as it never was a home for me. Only a place I shacked up in for past three years. I was only too glad to let go of it now that I was back in Delhi for good.

I could discern Dadi, rustling about behind the counter as she came out from the kitchen to look into the matter so frantically pleaded. "Is this the one you are looking for beta?"

"Dadi, not this one. This is such a dull yellow. Do you know what this shade means? Do you think I am a selfish person?"

I heard the voice again, which I could say for sure, was now tinged with a pouty blue countenance. I straightened my slumped form to aide my eyes as they tried to single out its source. I cursed the fatigue that had slowed down my senses. I could not make my body rise fast enough. I could not make my eyes focus quick enough. The way my bones creaked as I tried to stretch out my legs had me curse at the workload I was tackling since coming back. I glanced the ebony clock on the wall whose silver hands showed that five hours had passed since I had passed out on this sage hued loveseat. One hour more and I have to be back in office at ten sharp.

This was not what I was back for. Being back was to have me enveloped in the loving essence I so missed in London, a home-made fresh coffee to start my day with, a soothing hands massaging my hair, a lap to rest my head on. But ever since I was back the only things I rested my head on were thick files and even thicker law journals. Both my families loved calling me the resident grouch but they never tried to understand what makes me so. Ha! Easy to laugh at but would anyone care to lend a hand? Nope. Neither my on-the-path-to-topple-Don-Juan-from-his-throne vagabond younger brother, Vikrant. Nor my I-wish-to-find-my-own-place-in-the-world best friend, Aditya. Excuse me if I can't keep the cheer up with my neck buried deep in the family firm.

"No Dadi, it's a beautiful, bright, happy yellow. The one that dispels the gloom. Nothing dispels gloom like yellow you see. Not even pink."

The voice caught my attention again yet eluding my sight, even though my face was turned in the direction of the counter where I knew she would be standing. Ugh! My eyes refused to open long enough for me to catch a visual. It was singularly the worst state to be in. Exhausted to the core and brain-dead to top it off. The eight hours of restless flight and the past 24 hours spent cooped up in my office had finally got to my sleep deprived self. So much so that my own eyes would not open at my command.

"Ah yes! This one!"

And my mind concurred as I finally was able to tune into her presence.

There she was. A small petite frame with wild curls dancing across her back. Hands animated and a dress whose hem sashayed with her movements. The look of adoration that Dadi held on her face while listening to her summed up the warmth of her personality. I could feel it tug on my heart too and I had to get myself next to her.

"I can't even tell you how important it is to me," she leaned forward to kiss Dadi's cheek, "give my thanks to Pinky for keeping it safe. I have to run."

But damn this burn-out that had gripped my body. A squeal, a twirl and she was out of the caf before I could even blink.

"Maan," Dadi came over smiling towards me, "glad to see you finally up. How are you feeling now?"

"I am still so sleepy Dadi."

"Tsk tsk. I was telling Nanhi that one day you will tire yourself out to death. Who asks you to work this much? You have just come back. You could have relaxed for a while."

"Dadi it is for your darling Nanhi's sake that I am burning myself out here. I have only slogged through yesterday and will doso today, so that day after remains completely free."

I have never waited for Sunday so eagerly before.

I watched out of the window to seek her again. But she was walking away from me, from my reach. What wouldn't I give to hear that golden voice again!

"By the way Dadi," I pointed towards her retreating form, "she..."

"Poor thing forgot her beloved yellow umbrella here. She saw you sleeping and tired to stay keep the volume low, but the desparation to redeem her prized possession couldn't keep her voice down. The girl is so fixated with the color. It has driven all of us mad. But will she listen? No! I wonder what..."

I zoned out Dadi's chatter as I watched her walking in to the park opposite our building. The autumn sun was out in its full glory, swallowing the chill of the night that had soothed the city in the dark. She swung her umbrella out and unfurled it to protect her self from its orange glare.

Every other color faded into oblivion as her yellow umbrella over-powered the surroundings she occupied. Every other shade dulled to a grey as the yellow dot shone brighter with every step she took away from me. A single image became the only vibrant phenomenon as the multitude of the city paled in comparison.

A single yellow dot became the focal point of my convergent thoughts.

I had these two three pending ideas with me which I have been ordered to complete and post them. I have no clue why I am writing this one though. Lolz. Please do bear with this. It shall be wrapped up in three odd parts max.

Index

Part One : Page One

Part Two : Page Ten

Part Three : Page Nineteen

Part Four : Page Twenty Four

Part Five: Page Thirty One

Part Six : Page Thirty Seven

Part Seven : Page Sixty Four

Epilogue : Page Seventy

Edited by jazzerette - 2 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

To start with, I love the title. For many reasons of course😉
The beginning of the story.. with the sweet chiming of her voice, was so simple and beautiful. Her desperation to get back her prized possession back and her cute little pout saying that it was a happy yellow, not a dull yellow.. ahh adorable it was.

And our Munda Maan, i was dissecting it and i found his grumping session interesting. And i do have few questions.
But before that i want to go random about the cafe name. Cafe chrome.. Google chrome's inspiration is it?😆
Umm I'm happy with my PJ. You see i can't complete a comment without being my usual crack-a-joke-at-which-no-one-laughs-except-you jokes. Haha.😆
Anyway moving on..
He got up by her sweet chiming voice. Personally i hate it when someone wakes up..well not really. You should wake me up with a sweet voice.. If you wake me up with loud music or if you yell at me you are so dead.
(Make a note. You need it in future🤣) Oh yeah you can on my music player and can go so that mein aaram se uthungi par haan no bhayankar songs like who let the dogs out. (Oh yes i do have it in my playlist🤣)
Me n my randomness.. I'm wondering will i ever i mean EVER talk anything straight?
Anyway..
so Maan got up from the exhausting sleep. After traveling and working, and passing out, when you get up, you'll obviously be i the worst mood possible. And even then.. he was able to notice the sweetest conversation about the umbrella.
Me liking it😳

The look of adoration that Dadi held on her face while listening to her summed up the warmth of her personality. I could feel it tug on my heart too and I had to get myself next to her.

as usual i found this line interesting. You got some magic..that some lines of yours grabs my attention and i'll be reading them over and over again (not that i don't understand the first time😆 Ok to be frank in some cases even that happens😆)

"Dadi it is for your darling Nanhi's sake that I am burning myself out here. I have only slogged through yesterday and will do so today, so that day after remains completely free."
First question who is nanhi?😆
Better be Maan's sister. I don't want competition you see... i mean i don't want to see competition. Haha

I have never waited for Sunday so eagerly before.
You are awakening the curious cat inside me 😡

I watched out of the window to seek her again. But she was walking away from me, from my reach. What wouldn't I give to hear that golden voice again!

aaye haayee! The last line was to die for. What wouldn't i give to hear that golden voice again.!
And then comes these lines..

Every other color faded into oblivion as her yellow umbrella over-powered the surroundings she occupied. Every other shade dulled to a grey as the yellow dot shone brighter with every step she took away from me. A single image became the only vibrant phenomenon as the multitude of the city paled in comparison.

A single yellow dot became the focal point of my convergent thoughts.
Beautiful Jazz! I could actually imagine her walking in the streets with the big yellow umbrella, Maan looking at her through the window, other colors fading and showing the BIG yellow umbrella. The concept was sweet and simple. It was like a beautiful painting. Of course now i get where do you get the ideas and how do you get them exactly Miss. Painter.
To be truthful i have not even one yellow or orange dress but i've a feeling that at the end of this beautiful story the first thing i would do is to go and get a big bright yellow umbrella. Beautiful Jazz!
And haan should i say about the sketch? It was Marvellous. Waise you would've imagined me carrying it haina isilie toh itna acha aaya hain🤣
me and my silly jokes!😆
Nanand Ji Now you gave me another task. I've to crib for two updates *rubs hands in glee* I love cribbing you see.

Edited by --Shika-- - 12 years ago
abinash079 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
awesome dear
loved the concept
continue soon
-bansi- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Wonderful start Jaz..!!
Moi is loving it..!! 😳
ohh the encounter of maan n the unknown girl...as he does not know her...
she was looking for her precious yellow umbrella...
while maan was out there asleep..but as he heard the melodious voice..he was eager to see who the voice belonged to...shweet it was..!!
loved it loadz..!!
cont soon...

Angelic_mishty thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
heyy truly awesum strt dear...
loved d intro...special d pic.its damn beautifull...
great work..
thnx for d pm..

😛

Devil-By-Birth thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
RES.😈II

EDIT:

My my my... first thing first... Im so loving the painting/your drawing/sketch...👏 my talented Saaali Ji... ❤️
Now!
I really loved the first part... its awesome... Colorful I must say...👏

Update Soon...⭐️

Edited by Devil-By-Birth - 12 years ago
Remya_Pillai thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
wonderful part yaar!
mujhe nahi pata tha ki yellow s so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by: kesha2412

Res 😃

Pardadi🤗
Happy B'day.
PS: You should notice that I am First AGAIN🤣
Devil-By-Birth thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Comment updated on page1.😊

Originally posted by: --Shika--

Pardadi🤗