Debate Mansion

Horific Violence in The Internet - Page 2

Majority thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
An excellent point pagaal.

To this would like to add that since the internet is far more easily accessible to the general mass, the negatives here get noticed much quicker than what's happening in the back streets of, say, Vancouver.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*dolly* thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Jatayu

The topic of the debate is violence on internet. I have made a point rationalising the violence.

What action we take will determine whether we can call ourselves an intelligent species. My view is that we will do nothing because however much we may consider ourselves superior to other species, we remain just animals, slaves to our instincts.

this can be a actually a seprate debate topic.based on what u saying, we are violent animals, who take pleasure in doing so. And we are slave to our instincts.and we should do nothing.

Well i donot want to sound like a preacher or anything but want to write here something.When I was a child we used to have pigeons and I used to feed them . One day a house cat just came and killed all 3 of the pigions.I felt both anger and guilt for the cat, a charming friend to man but a treacherous and deadly foe to small creatures. When I protested to my mother, who felt as bad as I did about the destruction, she put it in perspective for me. "cat is a natural predator," she said. "He hunts out of instinct. You can't blame him. He's just a cat, doing what cats do."

It was true, of course. The cat was incapable of either sympathy for its prey or remorse for its deed. It was a captive of its own feline nature, a slave to its instincts.

Thank God, I thought, humans are different. Our creator gave us an ability to choose how we behave. We don't have to be slaves to our desires and appetites.  

So I refuse to beleive that we are like other animals. If that was the case we all would have been dead by now. As we all know how intelligent man is.

The question here is where are we going? why so much violence and then glorifying it by several means , internet being the latest one.What can we do to stop or minimize it.

*dolly* thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: paagalhoonmain

well i believe tht if there is anything,anything in this world,,specially to technology,there wud b 3 kinds of ppl,1 wud b +ve,1 wud b -ve,and the others uninterrupted,nd since the internet is not as old as sum of the other technological advancements,there wud b definitely -ves easily gettin highlighted sumtimes even more than +ves,for children,i think it depends on the family,on the society tht how they take up anything

agreed raghav,

But what can be done?

Do u think this phase will pass.

internet is comparitively newer concept so what do u think we should just sit and watch all this and hope it will go away by itself or we need to take some actions?

*dolly* thumbnail

An excellent point pagaal.

To this would like to add that since the internet is far more easily accessible to the general mass, the negatives here get noticed much quicker than what's happening in the back streets of, say, Vancouver.

yes thats what I mentioned in my posts that internet is easily accessible.Now we all know why it is happening( sort of)๐Ÿ˜•.Now what can be done?

Majority thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: dolly

yes thats what I mentioned in my posts that internet is easily accessible.Now we all know why it is happening( sort of)๐Ÿ˜•.Now what can be done?

No. My point is completely different: we know more about these things because news about them are far more readily accessible.

You spoke of the damage these things cause as they are available on the net.

Weigh the two carefully. You'll see the points differ.
*dolly* thumbnail

No. My point is completely different: we know more about these things because news about them are far more readily accessible.

You spoke of the damage these things cause as they are available on the net.

Weigh the two carefully. You'll see the points differ.

Well,

I agree that know we know about these things as news about them is more easily available.20 -30 years ago we had T.V. only. When I was growing up for the longerst time I didn't had T. V. even.But that does not mean these types of things used to happen that time.with advancement in sceince and technology we are gaining good knowledge and bad knowledge.

I have targeted internet as I think it is easily accessible and more graphic in nature.We see more and more teenagers drawn to it. You can practicly find anything. 30 years ago when we didn't had the net we didn't had these problems.Atleast we didn't had to worry what our kids are doing.

It is true negative things are noticed quicker and thats why they sell๐Ÿ˜•

But it is also true that these things are increased now. reason?????

Iam asking what can we do?

Is there nothing we can do??

Edited by dolly - 18 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Like child po*nography sites are illegal in the U.S and you have FBI often policing these sites and therefore catching predators and pedophiles .

Same could be done with promoting violence sites . Although U.S propogates too much about freedom of expression and civil liberties and may not be happy with this option .
Majority thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: dolly

Well,I agree that know we know about these things as news about themis more easily available.20 -30years ago we had T.V. only. When I was growing up for the longerst time I didn't had T. V. even.But that does not mean these types of things used to happen that time.with advancement in sceince and technology we are gaining good knowledge and bad knowledge.
I have targeted internet as I think it is easily accessible and more graphic in nature.We see more and more teenagers drawn to it. You can practicly find anything. 30 years ago when we didn't had the net we didn't had these problems.Atleast we didn't had to worry what our kids are doing. It is true negative things are noticed quicker and thats why they sell๐Ÿ˜• But it is also true that these things are increased now. reason?????

I am asking what can we do?

Is there nothing we can do??

Of course we can.

After having first accepted that violence, and demonstration of violence, is a part of our lives, we can try to set examples for the youngsters. We can try and ensure that our children are not exposed to the negatives of internet and TV. We can make an attempt to see that they make proper decent friends with compatible sense of values.

We have to do this with a very fine sense of balance as over-supervsion can result in either an insecure person or a rebel.

Much easier said than done though.

PS: speaking of TV, I seriously wonder whether the current soaps cannot be construed to be a modified form of the horrific violence: so flippantly do they treat our social values.
*dolly* thumbnail

Of course we can.

After having first accepted that violence, and demonstration of violence, is a part of our lives, we can try to set examples for the youngsters. We can try and ensure that our children are not exposed to the negatives of internet and TV. We can make an attempt to see that they make proper decent friends with compatible sense of values.

We have to do this with a very fine sense of balance as over-supervsion can result in either an insecure person or a rebel.

Much easier said than done though.

PS: speaking of TV, I seriously wonder whether the current soaps cannot be construed to be a modified form of the horrific violence: so flippantly do they treat our social values.

speaking of what can be done. Iam deviating a little from the original topic but since u mentioned about tv and all.we also have to see what kind of movies our kids see. Kids-In-Mind rates each category one to ten with ten being the worst. They are an excellent source to find out what to expect from a movie and I highly recommend a visit there before you take the kids to the movie or buy a movie.They are among many movie reveiw sites availaible online. Now ofcourse this is for  english movies and not for indian movies.May be something like this can also be done for indian movies. I think the real question here is whether children can distinguish reality from fiction. let's take a look at what some of the experts say about that subject. "Because young children cannot distinguish between fantasy and reality, they are especially influenced by what they see on TV. Children under seven are particularly vulnerable to powerful images of violent behavior portrayed in the media." Source: National Association for the Education of Young Children

Iam not a expert just a mom who is concerned by todays voilence. iam not saying u throw away your tv, or toss your computer. just see what your kids are seeing.