politics vs judiciary

Posted: 12 years ago
Rajiv Gandhi killers were at last sentenced to be hanged but they appealed to high court. After the supreme court had upheld their death sentence is it proper for high court to stay the death sentence ? Is politics interfering with legal matters?
Should the killers be spared?

You do realize that this debate has nothing to do with Harry Potter and/or Twilight and hence might suffer the ignominy of eliciting negligible number of responses, if any, and fewer than 100 eyeballs on DM, don't you?!

If I were you, I would rephrase the question to something like this in order to make it more appealing to the "highly literate", "factually correct", "cogent", "stay-together-or-die-trying" gender bending crowd that DM is accustomed to now-a-days:

"Dumbledore killers were at last sentenced to be hanged but they appealed to Hufflepuff. After the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry had upheld their death sentence is it proper for Hufflepuff to stay the death sentence ? Is <insert your favorite Harry Potter/Twilight crapola here> interfering with <insert another of your favorite Harry Potter/Twilight crapola here>? Should the killers be spared?"

Personally I am against capital punishment.
But many implement it because it is cheaper than maintaing the convicted parties.

Question arises whom should the country save ? Good but poor peaople or persons who are a nuisance to society ?
Originally posted by K.Consciousness

You do realize that this debate has nothing to do with Harry Potter and/or Twilight and hence might suffer the ignominy of eliciting negligible number of responses, if any, and fewer than 100 eyeballs on DM, don't you?!

If I were you, I would rephrase the question to something like this in order to make it more appealing to the "highly literate", "factually correct", "cogent", "stay-together-or-die-trying" gender bending crowd that DM is accustomed to now-a-days:

"Dumbledore killers were at last sentenced to be hanged but they appealed to Hufflepuff. After the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry had upheld their death sentence is it proper for Hufflepuff to stay the death sentence ? Is <insert your favorite Harry Potter/Twilight crapola here> interfering with <insert another of your favorite Harry Potter/Twilight crapola here>? Should the killers be spared?"

Yes it does look like harry potter and twilight characters assume more importance than real life characters. If only people spent as much time analysing their own world instead of the fantasy world  Sort of escapism, perhaps.   
Originally posted by Summer3

Personally I am against capital punishment.
But many implement it because it is cheaper than maintaing the convicted parties.

Question arises whom should the country save ? Good but poor peaople or persons who are a nuisance to society ?
Do people who plot murders deserve any mercy ? The convicts mother and daughters are now undergoing great grief . What about family of the person who was murdered?😲
Imagine if these 3 get mercy. Next karunanidhi will demand mercy for his daughter whose crime is certainly not as serious. And what happens to kasab now? Will he too be entitled to mercy because of the delay which has become a norm in our country? Who is to be held accountable for the delay?
Even if we dont have clear answers we can atleast try to analyse the reason for this impasse. How does it really matter whether HP was good or bad , whether bella was more interesting or Hermoine. Surely we all know that witches and vampires dont really exist? Or dont we ðŸ˜•
Like Summer ji, I, too, am against Capital Punishment as I believe it doesn't fit into the arena of Justice. Its rather an 'Eye-for-Eye' theory which fits into the category of vengeance when used as cure and legal fear of death instilled in the minds of people to stop crime when used as prevention.

In this case however, the political parties need to stop butting in the matters of Judiciary. Jayalalitha is absolutely right. In 2000 it was Karunanidhi's government which advised the Governor of Tamil Nadu to commute the death sentence of Murugan's wife Nalini while uphelding the sentence of other three. And Vaiko is a known anti-Indian who would support all sort of Tamil separatists given his way.

Incidentally, does the Governor have the right to hear a mercy petition after it has been dismissed by the President? The Article 161 says :

"The Governor of a State shall have the power to grant pardons, reprieves, respites or remissions of punishment or to suspend, remit or commute the sentence of any person convicted of any offence against any law relating to a matter to which the executive power of the State extends."

So does the State have authority to overrule the President? If not then why are they involving Governor in this matter!!
Edited by Darklord_Rehan - 12 years ago
The politicians probably need a refresher course.
Is the debate on Justice (to be) vs Politics (not to be)?

<Edit>

The politics controls the Indian justice system! To change the system, first we need to get IN the system, the corruption era must be stopped. Having regards to the conditions in India, to the variety of social upbringing of it's people, and the disparity in the morality level of the people: paramount need to maintain law, India can not risk experiment of abolition of capital punishment.  I am in rule for the CP.

Edited by night13 - 12 years ago
Originally posted by night13

Is the debate on Justice and Politics? 

R!
Arya you know very well that the debates here dont stay restricted to any topic . Anything that comes up during the discussion is open to debate 😆
Originally posted by zorrro

Arya you know very well that the debates here dont stay restricted to any topic . Anything that comes up during the discussion is open to debate 😆

<edited> ... and am being merciful! 😆
Edited by night13 - 12 years ago