TVS NEW MALE ORDER article

shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

TVS NEW MALE ORDER

Prime time shows on Hindi entertainment channels are now dominated by male protagonists in their late 30s and 40s

Shruti Jambhekar

Forget the pimply,moonstruck college student and the doting young husband whove been doing the supporting act on prime time entertainment television for years now.The soapboxs new male starring roles are being played by men in their late 30s and 40s and even 50s.Sample this: Ronit Roy (ass the nonchalant,harditting lawyer in Adaalat),Ram Kapoor (as the cherubic biz tycoon in Bade Achche Lagte Hain),Sameer Soni (as the scruffy and arrogant former lawyer in Parichay Nayee Zindagi Kay Sapno Ka),Mohnish Behl (as a dedicated senior doctor in Kuchh Toh Log Kahenge),Shiv Subramanium (a hard as nails businessman inMukti Bandhan ),Deven Bhojani (a middle-aged professional in Mrs Tendulkar) and Rajesh Kumar (as a not so young lover in Chintu Chinky Aur Ek Badi Si Love Story) are not just playing characters older characters,but they even have romantic interests in the shows.
So while the female protagonists get younger by the day,what makes these older men actors the new favourites with showmakers Shiv Subramaniam who plays Ishwar Virani in Mukti Bandhan says,Im enjoying playing this character a lot since it is well-defined.This is my first daily soap and Im happy to be part of it. Even Sameer Soni,whos doing Parichay has a similar take,I simply fell in love with the character of Kunal Chopra and had to do the show.
Ronit Roy who was among the first TV stars to have sported grey in his hair and is currently playing the lead in Adaalat says,Even my characters in Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi,Kasautii Zindagii Kay and Bandini were men in their late 40s.I think the audience is more discerning and accepts matured characters on television which works in our favour.
For desi soap makers,the mature male lead is just a demand made by the script(s).As producer-actor JD Majethia puts it,Since small screen shows have a huge chunk of women viewers,directors can experiment with slightly older male protagonists.And if these shows rake in the TRPs then,you can be sure that the formula will be aped. Director Ravindra Gautam says,Peole are ready for matured stories.On TV,if something spells success,then it becomes a trend.
In a number-crunching world where TRPs define the bottomline of production houses and channels,a successful show can rewrite new stereotypes.With a 65-plus Amitabh Bachchan ruling the TRPs once again and changing the fortune of the channel on which his game show is being broadcast,may be even the prime time mature alpha male could be the most wanted on television in the near future.Did someone say age is just a number
[email protected]

Wished such article would have come when apurva was playing the role of anmol
But I am sure he looked extremely groomed for the role of anmol and rocked his mature acting to woo the audience and floor Ragini (parul) with his excellent chemistry and above all he was Alekhs(angad) younger brother
😳 Edited by shanti05 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

anizor thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
thanks for sharing shanti, hopefully apu comes back soon , with this new trend would be nice to see him in a good role.
shanti05 thumbnail
Yes Rozy, I hope he comes back soon. He was amazing as Anmol and just right for the male protagonist who showed  excellent character demographics.

His words always rings in my mind that he wished to have played teh role for 1 1/2 years and  they stop the show which was doing well on the TRP charts which is the trend now a days with viewers liking change in the storyline and appreciated good acting and chemistry between the leads and also gave focus to the male lead with certain criteria,

My hope is to see him back as Anmol and paied with Parul as Ragini in a sequel of this show or whatever is feasible to appiciate the talent of such actors who break trends and give successful viewership for the shows
anizor thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
shanti, i hope angini come back in sequel too,but so many new shows are coming,no time slot left.but may be there is still hope.
shanaya28 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

@shanti..thanks for sharing the article..

the trend is back and i think some novelty in daily soaps are most welcomed..focus more on the male leads..

a change we got to watch with bidaai leap apoorva portraying anmol ..a character with so much depth ..the leap was a success so lets see how it fairs for the other shows..

DKP seems to be banking lots on KTLK ..male oriented and mohnish is a fine actor ...

hoping after the launch of his two shows RS gives a good thought about bringing back apoorva..parul in the sequel for a continuation story..

Edited by saveeta24 - 12 years ago
shanti05 thumbnail
Yeah Saveeta, The leap gave us a beautiful character Anmol played by Apurva , He fitted so well to teh charcter and his chemistry with everyone around him was perfect, he ws a complete package , It proved so well tht male prtaganist if well made can rule and give the depth in character, The chemistry and maturity they showed in the relationship with him and ragini is way above a certian level. I guess the show has reached a certain milestone and to be back it needs that level and anything not balanced there would/nt be feasible

With shows oriented to male protgainists it would be great to see continuation of the character of Anmol back in bidaaii as a continuation with the focus  on the way his character would be in lime light as the father husband and relastionship beyond whenever the show returns ...Apurva and Parul have given us a new jodi which is well accpeted , and with the maturty they showed in the relastionship of teh characters of Angini teh recalll value is quite high

Hope to see them bac with the continuation of the sequel
bhondu2010 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Nice article, many actors are just amazing for some roles, Apurva fit in the role of Anmol extremely well and he was characterized younger to alekh and matched Parul well.
Rajan ji's new show will have a mature love story which will have some new stages of fiction and male oriented role given prominence.

During Bidaaii when I used to read the way people used to say Apurva did'nt match parulI was like whaat, I mean they were just perfect now shows will come with such demographics and people are going to see this new trend.

In a number-crunching world where TRPs define the bottomline of production houses and channels,

Did someone say age is just a number

These two lines show how well Apurva was groomed to add a new flavour to bidaaii post leap and did well and we hope he comes back for a new season , would love to see him with Parul as they have a beautifulchemistry and more of his role  and hers to match