shinningstar thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
if i want to read everything about lord krishna all his life story his wives his war everything a to z which book should i read

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
There are a few:

On top of that, there is the Mahabharata as well (Kesari Mohan Ganguly's translation) that one can use, which has some peripheral references to some events in Krishna's life, like his war w/ Shalva, the origins of his kinsmen (in Adi Parva), Devaki's Swayamvara (the origins of the enemity b/w Somadatta & Sini), and the destruction of the Yadavas in the Mausala Parva.

Next time, please use the Help Desk!
Edited by _Vrish_ - 12 years ago
radash thumbnail
vishnu puran the book you want to read not the info. they have online book has more detail.
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@ shinningstar , 

Along with The Geeta, Shrimad Bhagwat, Mahabharat and Vishnu Puran, you can also read Harivansh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harivamsha), Garg Samhita (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garga_Samhita), and Agni Puran (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agni_Purana), which also portary the life of Shri Krishna.

Roark thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Plenty of book suggestions and each of them are good.

For a starter, dont mistake me for telling you this, grab Amar Chitra Katha's on Krishna. There are plenty and they are good. Once you read it, serach on the net, you get a lot of info.

Iskcon has some amazing books on Krishna too.

Oh, there are so many. Once you read, I assure you you will not stop. Its so fascinating.
LeadNitrate thumbnail
Originally posted by: vinuchand

Plenty of book suggestions and each of them are good.

For a starter, dont mistake me for telling you this, grab Amar Chitra Katha's on Krishna. There are plenty and they are good. Once you read it, serach on the net, you get a lot of info.

Iskcon has some amazing books on Krishna too.

Oh, there are so many. Once you read, I assure you you will not stop. Its so fascinating.

thats the nicest suggestion. Infact i remember stuff from amar chitrakatha much better than the books, and those with pictures and simple english( or the regional language) were amazing.
Vr15h thumbnail
I third this opinion of both Vinu & Tan - ACKs are really good starters.  My wife tells my that the dialog styles make it more suitable for kids, but when I compared the dialogs w/ the original texts, seems like the ACK versions of it sounded more logical.  I learned everything I knew as a kid from ACKs, and last 5 years have been either reinforcing or correcting what I knew by reading online versions of the original texts.

On Krishna, there were several ACKs - Krishna, Krishna & Jarasandha, Krishna & Rukmini, Syamantaka Gem, Krishna & Sishupala, Krishna & the false Vasudeva, Krishna & Narakasura, the Gita, and most recently, a hardbound collection of an ACK that narrates Krishna's story up to all of his marriages.  On the Mahabharat, they do an even more fantastic job, and cover the war in pretty good detail: the only place one could learn more is by reading the translation of Kesari Mohan Ganguly.

Only pitfall - sometimes, different ACKs may be based on different (and conflicting) sources.  Like the ACK Sons of Rama is based on Krittivas (although the cover claims to be based on Bhavabhuti, which it's not), while the ACK Valmiki is based on actual Valmiki.  Hence, in the former, there is the account of KL fighting Rama's brothers, while in the latter, there's no such battle.
Vr15h thumbnail
One more Source for Shrimad Bhagavatam: http://srimadbhagavatam.com/