Ajith Kumar - Thala Pola Varuma...

Posted: 12 years ago

Fan Club of

Ajith Kumar a.k.a Thala

"Work is Worship" is what Ajith always believes In.  

Source : Starajith

The Making of THALA

In 2001, Ajith played a movie called Dheena, directed by debutant director A R Murugadoss. Dheena was the first ever Action flick he tried and acted alonside with Veteran Actor Suresh Gopi & Actress Laila. This movie had song called " Vatikuchi pathi kadthu da" during a costar shall say " THALA Erukkum pothu Vaal ada Kudathu, Nee Adu Thala" .(menaing a co- artist shall not pretend in the presence of a prominent star). This song was extremely popular and since the word Thala( Meaning leader/ the group lead) was catchy and from then on the fans started calling him , THE THALA. This word become so popular that even print and television medias started referring him as THALA and this name has been a house hold referring only AJIT KUMAR.

Vathikuchi Pathikadhuda video song from Dheena
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO3uOVAqsl4[/YOUTUBE]

[NOTE]: From 0:46 to 0:51 second a dialogue will come like this "THALA Erukkum pothu Vaal ada Kudathu, Nee Adu Thala". After this song only everyone is referring Ajith as Thala

Edited by Ravi. - 12 years ago
Source : Wikipedia

Childhood & Education

Ajith Kumar , aka Ultimate Star was born in Hyderabad, India born May 1, 1971. Ajith is the middle son of three children others being Anil Kumar and Anup Kumar, both being software engineers. Ajith Kumar, the second child born in Hyderabad, India, to a Palakkad Iyer father and a Sindhi mother from Kolkata and grew up in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. In his childhood he was brought up in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Schooling days were numbered for Ajith as he dropped out of Asan Memorial Sr. Secondary School in 1986 to become a part-time two-four wheeler mechanic and a full-time garment exporter based in Erode till 1990. Business agencies pushed him into modelling for adverts in print media. He also took it on realising an income in the job, it eventually paved his way into Tollywood otherwise nown as the Telugu film industry and later into Kollywood.

Early Days in Career

Ajith started his film career at the age of 21 as an actor Telugu movie Prema Pustagam in 1992.. His next film was in Tamil entitled Amaravathi for which he was paid a token salary of Rs.390. His second Tamil film Pavithra was delayed for 17 months because of a racing injury that left him bed-ridden and the film pavithra was a moderate success and his voice was rendered by fellow actor, Vikram. After the release, Ajith whilst training for an amateur motor race, suffered a fall, injuring his back and underwent three major surgeries resulting in a bed rest for one and a half years. Following the injury in 1993, Ajith played a supporting role in the Arvind Swamy starrer, Paasamalargal, before appearing in a supporting lead role in the family drama, Pavithra, which featured him as an ailing patient shown maternal affection from Raadhika.

Romantic hero (1995-2000)

In 1995, after a supporting role in the Vijay starrer Rajavin Parvaiyile, Ajith appeared in his first major success, Aasai. The film directed by Vasanth and produced by Mani Ratnam, featured him in the lead role opposite Suvalakshmi, whose brother-in-law infatuates about her. The film became became a big success and established Ajith as an upcoming actor in the Tamil film industry. Ajith's next Vaanmathi was also a hit and he later played the lead in Kalloori Vaasal co-starring Prashanth and Pooja Bhatt.Ajith's second blockbuster came in the form of National Award winning Kadhal Kottai, in which Ajith reunited with Agathiyan, the director of the earlier project Vaanmathi.The film which told the tale of two people falling in unconditional love without seeing each other until the climax. The film paired him opposite Devayani, with Heera Rajgopal, who Ajith fell in love during the making of the project, playing a supporting role.

After the success of his films in 1996, the following year saw a series of five failures, the most notable being Amitabh Bachchan's Tamil production Ullasam with Maheswari, in which he was paid a salary of Rs. 2 million for the first time. Ajith returned with another successful project in Saran's Kadhal Mannan, with the "masala film" setting the foundations for an expanding fan base.Following films Aval Varuvala and Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen also became successes, with the latter featuring Ajith in a praised guest role. After a couple of average grossers in Uyirodu Uyiraga and Ramesh Khanna's Thodarum, Sundar C's romantic drama Unnaithedi opposite Malavika became another comeback film and set the tone for a series of big successes. S. J. Suryaah's thriller, Vaali, which portrayed him in dual roles opposite Simran, became his biggest hit til date following it's release. The film told the story of a deaf and mute brother setting his eyes on his younger brother's wife, with Ajith's portrayal of the two brothers winning him his first of many awards for Filmfare's Best Actor.Furthermore Ajith's portrayal of the brothers was also praised, with critics claiming that the film was an"instant classic" with Ajith showing that he is a "talented actor". The two following supporting roles in the drama films Anandha Poongatre and Nee Varuvai Ena also brought Ajith plaudits for his portrayals. His final film before the new millennium was another blockbuster, Amarkalam directed by Saran and featuring Shalini, whom he married shortly after the film. Amarkalam told the story of a negelected child who grew up and fails to show feelings of love or affection, becoming a gangster in the process, with Ajith's depiction of his rogue character appreciated by critics.

His next, Mugavari, won him commercial and critical praise. The film revolved around the life of a struggling music composer who faces sacrifices to proceed in his career. The film featured dual endings, one with Ajith succeeding in his career, the other with Ajith dejected. Ajith's performance was yet again praised with critics from Rediff, claiming that "Ajith is the real winner", drawing an allusion with the film's script, whilst adding that "it is amazing to see how Ajith has grown as an actor. He brilliantly portrays the vulnerable and sad Sridhar". He also appeared in A. R. Rahman's 2000 musical Kandukondain Kandukondain directed by Rajiv Menon. The blockbuster featured Ajith alongside prominent actors Mammooty and Raghuvaran and actresses Aishwarya Rai, Tabu and Srividya. In a similar role to his previous film, Ajith played a struggling film director facing an oscillating relationship with Tabu, with the pair being unanimously praised for their roles. His first failure in eight films, came in the form of the army based Unnai Kodu Ennai Tharuven co-starring Simran.

Ups and downs (2001-2005)

In 2001, Ajith appeared in Dheena, A. R. Murugadoss's debut film co-starring Laila Mehdin and Suresh Gopi. The film, indirectly marked the beginning of a new image of Ajith, that of an action hero that would appeal to the masses. Furthermore from the successful film, Ajith's nickname in the film, Thala, Tamil for Leader, became a new identity for the actor amongst his fans. His next was the much-hyped thriller, Citizen, portraying Ajith in ten different get-ups and it became an above average success at the box office, despite being labelled a disappointment from critics. A role in the family drama, Poovellam Un Vasam followed opposite Jyothika and was a success commercially and critically earning a Special Best Actor Award from the Tamil Nadu State. The year ended off with an appearance in Santosh Sivan's Hindi project, Asoka, in which Ajith appeared in a brief negative role alongside Shah Rukh Khan. 2002 saw Ajith appear in three films, the first two; Red and Raja being average grossers, the former further building up his image as an action hero. The third film, Villain, in which Ajith appeared in dual roles, one as a mentally ill handicap, became a blockbuster and in return earning Ajith his second Filmfare Best Tamil Actor Award.

The following years, from 2003 til 2005, saw Ajith appear in a fewer amount of films due to his career in motor racing becoming more prominent. 2003 saw the release of his long-delayed Ennai Thalatta Varuvala and the police-drama Anjaneya, both failing commercially. His next Jana with Sneha also became a big failure, with the Saran film, Attagasam being his only hit in the period. The film, saw Ajith portray dual roles, with a song, Thala Deepavali penned to promote his action image.In 2005, the failure of the Linguswamy film Ji, despite garnering positive reviews and taking a strong opening, saw Ajith take a sabbatical from acting to re-work his image.

Billa and the future (2006-present)

During 2006, Ajith returned from his hiatus by appearing in P. Vasu's Paramasivan for which he had lost twenty kilograms to portray the lead role. The film enjoyed a moderate success, scoring over Vijay's Aadhi, which also released in the same week, at the box-office.Critics from The Hindu stated Ajith looked "trim and taut" in the film with "only his eyes seeming to have lost some of its sparkle", following the major weight loss. Furthermore, for Paramasivan and his two other projects in 2006, Ajith sported long hair, which was being grown for Bala's project, Naan Kadavul, which Ajith eventually opted out of. Similarly his next, AVM Productions's, Thirupathi directed by Perarasu performed above average business at the box-office, despite garnering poor reviews, with Rediff critics citing that the film is "anything but sensible" but that Ajith "salvages the situation with a spirited performance". Ajith summed up a successful comeback by the release of his long-delayed film, Varalaru which went on to become his biggest success til date. The K. S. Ravikumar film co-starring Asin, portrayed Ajith in three roles, including that of a classical dancer, with his portrayals being critically praised. Moreover, the film fetched Ajith his third Filmfare Best Actor Award, on its way to becoming a blockbuster. Ajith's first release in 2007, Aalwar became a debacle at the box-office, with his previous film still continuing to run in theatres even after Aalwar had stopped it's brief theatrical run. Kireedam, a remake of the 1989 National Award winning Malayalam film of the same name was released to positive reviews, with the film also becoming a moderate success. During the shoot of the film, Ajith developed a further spinal injury, a recurrence of his problem earlier in his career.

Ajith then starred in a remake of a 1980s Rajinikanth starrer, Billa, which became a blockbuster. The film fetched critical praise for Ajith, becoming a trendsetter for stylish art direction and cinematography in India. Billa, yet again, featured Ajith in dual roles one of a notorious don whilst the other played an innocent person who had to act as the don, following the former's death. After Billa, Ajith appeared in the film Ayngaran International production Aegan, directed by the choreographer turned director Raju Sundaram. The film, a remake of the 2004 Hindi comedy Main Hoon Na, only managed to do average business at the box office. Following a year's worth of production, Ajith's latest release, Aasal released in February 2010, taking a grand opening at the box office. The film, which also featured Ajith in dual roles, saw Ajith creditted as a screenwriter along with his role of being a don neglected by his brothers in the quest for their father's will.

Edited by Ravi37 - 12 years ago

Family and Relationships

Source: Celebrity Psyphil 

Ajith Kumar was born on 1 May 1971 to a Tamil Brahmin from Palakkad named P. Subramaniam and his wife Mohini, of Sindhi origin from Kolkata, West Bengal. Ajith later created the non-profit organisation "Mohini-Mani Foundation", named after his parents, in order to promote self-hygiene and civic consciousness and to help ease the problems of urban sprawl. Ajith Kumar was the middle son out of three brothers, the others being Anil Kumar, a stock broker in New York and Anoop Kumar, an IIT Madras graduate working in Seattle. The latter brother was recently involved in the court case of fellow actor, Prashanth's, divorce. Moreover, Ajith had younger twin sisters, both of whom died young.Through his marriage to actress Shalini, Ajith became brother-in-law to actor, Richard Rishi, and actress Shamili, who appeared as his sister-in-law in Rajiv Menon's Kandukondain Kandukondain.

Ajith and Shalini Wedding facts

It was during the shooting of tamil movie "Amarkkalam" in 1999 that Shalini and Ajith Kumar fell in love. Even during the film shooting there was a great rumour in the industry that they may get marry soon. They filled tabloid gossip columns for months. After few days of stirr both Shalini and Ajith Kumar acknowledged their love for each other. Later their love went beyond "Amarkkalam" and become their real life story'!! Which is rearly a rare thing in filmy life..!!

Its very interesting to know about that, its love cum arrange marriage..!! No fight no tears..!! It was said by the actress that one fine day actor Ajith Kumar proposed her,
She didint say anything in hurry, she just told the same to her parents. After that her parents and Ajith's parents talked about it and FIXED the marriage..!!!  It was such a simple wedding.

They were married on 24th of April in 2000 in Chennai. It was a great ceremony in Chennai where they invited many Kollywood actors and actresses. The special invitees are Rajnikanth, Vijay , Kamal Hasan, Surya  and R. Madhavan . It was a private ceremony limited to family members and close friends only.

Since they were from different religions, Shalini being a Protestant Christian and Ajith being a Hindu Brahmin, rituals of both the religions were performed. The marriage was registered at the sub-registrar's office. Shalini After the marriage retired as an actress and found herself happy in maintaining the house.

Shalini helps Ajith in his films also. She hears the stories of the directors , accompanies him during his shooting, takes care of his callsheets , looks after his 'A.K.International' office, she even drives his car taking him to shooting places etc.

On Jan 3rd 2008, at 1.30am Shalini delivered a baby girl weighing 3.3 kilos. The baby girl of these stars named Anoushka. Fans of Shalini expecting the baby girl to be a "Baby Anoushka" following the footsteps of her mother.

Shalini quotes about Ajith kumar and career

' I'm a non-vegetarian. He's also a non-vegetarian. So there won't be any problem at all. Both of us like chicken. We don't like chocolate. Generally I cook tastefully. Do you know one thing? Ajithkumar himself is a good cook! '

' I can refer to three qualities: First, as far as film shooting work is concerned, he's a hard-worker. He forgets even food and sleep while doing work. Secondly, he first thinks of others. Then only he thinks about himself. Suppose if anyone suffers, he would be the first person to lend his help. Thirdly, the self-confidence and his acting talent that enabled him to come up in life without seeking others' support! After facing so many challenges and undergoing so many sufferings, he has become a hero of great feats.'

' Definitely I won't act after wedding. I ,who have given up acting now, won't even dream of returning back to acting. Marriage is an important stage in a woman's life. When I will get married to Ajithkumar as per my heart's liking, I would turn to be the female family head. There's no change in this decision. '

Ajith Quotes about Shalini

' May be after the marriage you could ask her this question and she may have an answer. Ours is more a meeting of the mind. Today I may be a successful star. But to be honest, when I met Shalini I was nobody. And then I was recuperating from my back pain. So, it was not that she was impressed with me and it was love at first sight. We started as good friends, and love grew from that friendship. She was a good friend first and a good listener. I am able to talk about all my problems to her. I am lucky to have her. Since she too is from this industry, it helps her to understand my problems better.'

' Shalini is a Protestant Christian and my father is a Brahmin from Palghat. But no one is changing the religion. She can practice hers, and I mine. We won't force our views on each other. Tomorrow when we have children, we will be teaching them all the religions, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity. And when they grow to adulthood, they're free to choose whatever they want. Religion is not the issue. What is important is that Shalini and I are comfortable with each other. We love each other and that's all that counts.

Source : Ananda Vikatan

Interview With Thala Ajith Kumar

'I don't want to promote my films speaking it to the public. If they're worth watching, audiences will make it successful. I don't want to cheat them by coming up with my own words of promotions' started off Thala Ajith Kumar, who continued to answer some interesting questions.

How did you join Venkat Prabhu's team?

Right from the days, we worked together in 'Ji', both me and Venkat Prabhu have been sharing a good friendship. I had asked him to come up with a script that has a negative character like 'Vaali' and I would do it without fail. Later, I got busy with 'Billa' and 'Aasal'. I heard that Venkat Prabhu was doing a project for Cloud Nine Movies Banner and immediately called him up regarding the script. He said, the film is about 5 baddie and one amongst them is a terrible baddie. Immediately I accepted to sign the project.

Can you tell us about your character in this film?

My character's name is Vinayak Mahadevan. I play the most villainous character and it is all this I can say for the moment.

You have been constantly involved in fights with directors Gautham Menon, Vishnuvardhan and Vishnuvardhan. Why is that?

I always believe in time. If our time is right, everything will happen in a good way. We weren't able to work together at that time. That doesn't mean we are enemies. If everything comes well with the situation, we will work together again.

Why did you disband your fans club?

I cannot specify the reason and I don't want to perform post-mortem. I didn't gain education properly, but I want my fans to be very well educated. I request my fans to study well, go to their jobs and carry on with their usual works. If my film is good, please come and watch it in theatres. This is more than enough.

'Aadukalam' has won 6 National awards. What is your view on the Tamil filmmakers and actors marking a great work in their careers?

I am not worthy to comment on the entire Tamil film industry. I am happy that my friends in Tamil film industry have succeeded well. I felt happy when Agathiyan won National awards for 'Kadhal Kottai' and I have the same feelings now as well.

How is Billa-2 going on?

The first schedule of 50days is being held in Hyderabad now following which the other schedules will be held in European countries. We are planning to complete the shooting by November. Soon after the completion, I will speak more about the film.

We all know that you and Rajnikanth are close friends. Did you call him up and wish him 'Get Well Soon' while he was sick?

After my parents, the only person in whom I saw God was Rajnikanth sir. I cannot reveal what I spoke to him. I want him to be happy always.

What is your take on present political rule in Tamil Nadu?

As a citizen, I have casted my vote and I am not here to comment anything on the political system. It's people who elect their leaders according to their likes and dislikes. If I start commenting on this, I will be addressed as a supporter of one or the other political parties, which I don't like at all.

How are Shalini and Anoushka?

Anoushka is now in LKG and she is desperately in need of more relatives and affection. She has made our nuclear family into joint family. I have brought my parents together and Shalini's parents keep visiting our house regularly once in a week. Shalini kept banking all her hopes on me and trusted me. For past 11 years our family life is so happy and the reason is Shalini. I will be grateful to her for many births.

Edited by Ravi37 - 12 years ago
Hobbies and Interests

Source: Starajith

While in school, Ajith was more into extra-curricular activities and sports like NCC, rifle shooting, aero-modeling, bike racing etc.

He played cricket for his school. But since he since he dropped out from school, he could not pursue cricket or NCC or anything connected with schools and colleges, further. Hence, he had to put an end to all such interests.

Besides films, he has dabbled with photography, has a Student Pilot's License (SPL) to fly a single engine Cessna A152 aeroplane and is only the third Indian to take part in International Formula 3 race competitions. He always considered acting as his profession and racing, his passion. Back in 2004, he was India's third best driver after Narain Karthikeyan and Karun Chandok. But unfortunately, he had to retire from motor sport racing following a major accident in 2005.

Here are some of the certificates that Ajith Kumar won

Awards and Acclodes

Award as an Actor

Received the Kalaimamani honour from the State Govt. of Tamil Nadu in the year 2000
    Won the Filmfare awards for best actor for Vaali (1999), Villain (2003) and Varalaru (2006). 
    Won Dinakaran Award for best actor for 3 times. 
    Vijay Award for Favourite Hero (2006)

Award as an Motor Sport Racer

He participated in National Championship Motorcycles upto 110 cc.
Result: Best Finish 4th Place

He participated in the JK Tyre National Championship F.I.S.S.M.E class. 
Result : Best finish 4th place. 

He participated in the Formula BMW Asia Championship. 
Result : Best qualification 4th in Korea. Best finish 6th place.

He participated in the British F3 Championship Scholarship Class.  
Result : Finished 3rd in two races. Best finish 3rd place at Donnington Park and 3rd place at Knockhill.

He participated in the final leg of MRF Challange F1600 at Sriperumputhur. 
Result : Best finish 7th place. Personal best lap time 1.44.6 sec inspite of very limited testing time in the car.

Favourite Hero and Favourite Villain for Mankatha - Vijay Awards

Edited by Ravi. - 11 years ago
Ajith the Ultimate Star in Both Cinema and Racing
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NYDISkutoU&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE] 

Ajith and Vijay are Best Friends from the movie Rajavin Parvayile
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjF1Q0EpA20&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Kandukondein Kandukondein Awesome Climax Scene
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrdBugbC07o[/YOUTUBE]

Amarkalam Best Scenes
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bkOGeaL95o[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dFfc4JbKtY[/YOUTUBE]

Ajith Dance in a Program
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTG3IWXf1o&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Vaiyaburi Speak about Ajith
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCPEN4yVsc0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Ajith won the Vijay Award for Favourite Hero (2006)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiC6uwUYxoU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Vivek Speak About Ajith
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxI-hv_9PCY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

S.A. Chandrasekhar Speak About Ajith
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXUWnOUBi3k&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

K.S.Ravikumar Speak About Ajith
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwE5D50-BzQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

SPB Speak About Ajith
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-ZyO4TCvk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Ajith Best Performance From Varalaru
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBYaVe4Zhi4[/YOUTUBE]

Ajith Escaped from a Car Race Accident
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xybJPHNdoMk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Ajith and Vijay at a Party
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcBvGmN0_SQ[/YOUTUBE]

Kalavani Director Sargunam Speak About Ajith
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZE8-BH_a_g[/YOUTUBE]

Nayanthara Speak About Ajith
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOp549LBlxk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Surya About Ajith and Vijay
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qzwfYnhI0c&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Ajith in Nescafe Sunrise Ad
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKu6lKtDLw8[/YOUTUBE]

Ajith at MRF Car Race
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjwlz6ZQCo&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

I Like Ajith Said Arjun
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afzzm9rAL4Q&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Mankatha Trailer
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHESM8iR1JE&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Mankatha trailer which has been released on August 9 at 11:00 pm it has been created a positive response among all the audience. After manktha trailer release it got 200,000 Hits, 1534 likes and 80 dislikes.

Celeberities Tweet about Mankatha Trailer

Ilaythalabathy Vijay: Our illaya thalabathi vijay Anna just called me and told me 2 words " HA HA HA HA MANKATHA DA !! " but it's 6 words

Krish Singer: saw the trailer... Mamaaa... Kalakketta... Yennala mudiyala da...! Super Super...

Udayanidhi Salin: Mankatha trailer is awesome! Looking fwd! All the best 2 Durai ,Thala, Venkat Prabhu, mahat, yuvan, Trisha , premji nd the team! MankathaDA

Allu Sirish :  Hey.. The trailer of Mangatha is simply superb! So stylish. Have to say Arjun looks like a scene-stealer

Dhanush: Just saw mankatha trailer .. Thala therikka vida poraaru !! All d best ajith sir ,trisha, venkatprabhu , yuvan and dhaya sir .. God bless

Jiva : kewl trailer brother! Waitin fo the film very badly... Nanum ethna naldan nalavana nadikardu! Hahah super kwel!

Jayam Ravi: Solid Tailer Chellams:) Good Luck..Looks like it's the season for RT's..

Prakash Raj : Saw the first look of MANGATHA. Ajith looks great n genuine. Brilliant Presence . Well done Venkat.proud of you Wish the team the best ...

you made it sooo well!!!! all the posts are SPLENDID!!!! i love shalini-ajith and surya-jyothika jodis very much!! awaiting for more!!! little anoushka is cute!!!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ to you!!!
wow...ur a really great fan huh?
Great Job!!! Just love Thala !!!
The baby is so cute :)
Originally posted by malluangel

wow...ur a really great fan huh?

Yes I am a huge fan of Thala.