Lesbian marriages - Page 4

Posted: 18 years ago
Ok...I am new here and just stumbled upon this topic. I will paste here what I said in another forum a while back when we were discussing a similar issue a while back. I apologize for it being more generic homosexual oriented than lesbian oriented and more directed at US attitudes, but it may be relevent

[quote]Why would you think that homosexuality is unnatural. It is completely natural and normal and has been existing for ages. There are references to homosexuality not only in ancient Greece but several other ancient civilizations. There have been homosexual people throughout history and homosexual behavior has been noted in mammals other than humans.

No one chooses to be homosexual just because they want to or because its fashionable. Considering the attititude towards homosexuality in many places many probably wish that they could be straight. However, you cannot control feelings and attractions....they are a natural occurence.

In the end I beleive this. Sexuality is the physical aspect of humans, it is part of our animistic and biological nature. Love on the other hand is a more deeper spiritual concept, it is more about pschology feelings and emotions rather than physicality. relationships based on pure sexuality have no meaning. And you cant restrict or limit love, and when there is a romantic relationship physical intimacy is inevitable. Sexuality is just labels and borders created by humans. In the end as humans we should be free to love whomever we choose too.[/Quote]

&

[Quote]Me being a liberal I am completely in favor of gay marriage. Here are my reasons why.

Marriage is a social and legal institution: While marriage has a lot of significance and importance religiously marriage is not restricted to be a religious institution only. In a modern and democratic society each individual has the right to social and legal equality.
Allowing gay marriage will give their union the recognition it deserves. While they will get and deserve to get legal benefits of marriage like tax breaks, inheritance rights and a whole lot of other legal rights most importantly gay couples get social recognition as a married couple. Legalizing gay marriage gives legal authority and sanction to gay marriage that moves society in a positive direction to be more acceting of gay couples and will slowly help in reducing social biases against homosexuals. Most importantly it means a lot to homosexual couples to be able to be socially recognized as a married couple. Increased social acceptance of homosexual couples will also allow more gay people to come safely out of the closet.

World Population and Orphans: IMHO the population of the world has increased at an alarming rate. While we may not actually be feeling the impact of the population increase it has negative consequences for the balance of the world. Secondly there are two many orphans all across the world who need a home. Unfortunately not many couples who can conceive are readily willing to adopt these children. The gay community has been quite eager to adopt children but has been prevented from doing so due to stringent laws that sometimes require couples to be married to be able to legally adopt. Gay marriage will slightly curb population increase and also help find homes for many orphans.

It will actually bring meaning back to the institution of marriage: Yes I really think that homosexual marriage, Many will strongly disagree, but this is what I personally beleive in. While so many people marry for the sake of money, jobs, obtaining citizenship and visas to countries like USA...and as drunken mistakes...why not actually let two people who love each other get married. Despite all the opposition and hardships when gay couples do want to get married it definitely means something.
Also many homosexuals live in fear and do not come out of the closet and get married under social and peer pressure. Many cheat on their spouses and while others maybe faithful they are largely disinterested in the marriage and this is unfair to everyone involved in that relationship. Legalising gay marriage will at least reduce these meaningless marriages to some extent.

It will increase fidelity and reduce the risk of AIDS in the gay community: I am sad to admit it but it is true that many homosexuals practice unsafe sex and go through multiple partners. However, largely this behavior is because many homosexuals feel hopeless that a long term relationship will never be socially accepted and that marriage is impossible. This makes them take a casual approach to all sex relationships because they feel that committment is pointless. Allowing gay marriage will give many the assurance that they can build lasting relationships and be more responsible in their relationships.

NowI know many people are strongly opposed to homosexual marraige some common reasons cited are religious and that gay people will raise gay children. To answer them.

I guess if religion prohibits homosexuality there is nothing that can be done. I think it is an archaic and ridiculously stupid notion, but that is what people sincerely beleive and I respect that and dont expect people to change it although I do hope they do. The fact is in a democratic nation the law is above religion. Also I am hoping for legal and social recogniction for gay marriage, religious acceptance is for the religious community and the homosexuals within them to debate over. The church does not have to accept gay marriage or marry homosexuals...the city clerk and registrar can do that. You dont have to change your religious beleifs and say homosexual marriage is OK...you can still say its religiously and morally wrong within your social religious circles. If your religious ethic is so stringent that you cannt accept a law that allows homosexual marriage...then too bad.

Now gay people raising gay children is a ridiculous argument. How come gay people are born in straight families. The fact is people cannot be made gay or straight. It is a natural biological occurence that is caused by the structure of chromosomes. When people hit puberty and hormones start acting they naturally react per their orientation. No matter how many gay people a heterosexual is surrounded by the natural orientation cannot be changed.

Now some people claim that homosexual marriage will destroy the sanctity of marriage..I beleive I have addressed that in my argument for gay marriage above. Please state if you have more arguments against gay marriage I will try to address it.

On a final note, homosexual marriage will not invade on the lives and rights of heterosexual people....even if you cant seem to accept it at least learn to live and let live[/quote]

And I leave you all with a favorite quote made by a fellow forumer "No labels in love, no limits in love, love is just as it is LOVE"

This is my opinion and I am open to questions counterpoints leading to a constructive debate and healthy exchange of ideas. In many parts of the world and espescially here in the US, homosexual marriage is a hot button issue making this subject quite relevant.
its strange...we people can blindly believe in idols, ancient books and scriptures, respect the planets and offer all kinds of offerings to pacify them, slaughter animals in the name of religion, but cannot accept fellow human beings for who they are...
umm i dont think they should be shunned.. i think that is a gay/lesbian couple wants to get married who is sociaty to decide is it is wrong or right. i think we shouldn't feel we have the right to declare something immoral.. it's really not up 2 us... im not againest it 😳 but there is a woman and a man for a reason so make use of them 😛 😳

Originally posted by ~haBiBi2hot~

lesbian mariages r a NO NO

Any argument in support of that statement?

Originally posted by Miss.Netherland

Illl yuck

Aint it legal in Netherlands already...part of the famous 5

Spain, Canada, Belgium, Denmark & Netherlands.

Now joined by 6th mate UK and soon SA.