Mythological Masti

'Guru Purnima' Mahotsav: Salutations to the 'Guru'

Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Vasudeva sutam devam, Kansa chanur mardanam,
Devaki parmanandam, Krishnam vande jagat Guru.

Salutations to the teacher of the world, Krishna,
Who is the God who is the son of Vasudeva,
Who killed Kamsa and Chanoora,
And who gave immense joy to Devaki.

( -'Shri Krishnashtakam' by Adi Shankaracharya)

Hindus attach paramount importance to spiritual gurus. Gurus are often equated with God and always regarded as a link between the individual and the Immortal. Just as the moon shines by reflecting the light of the sun, and glorifies it, all disciples can dazzle like the moon by gaining from their Gurus.

Guru Purnima  is a festival traditionally celebrated by Hindus and Buddhists.On this day, disciples offer puja(worship) or pay respect to their Guru (Spiritual Guide). It falls on the day of full moon, Purnima, in the month of Ashadh (June'July) of the Shaka Samvat, Indian national calendar and Hindu calendar. Traditionally the festival is celebrated by Buddhists in the honor the Lord Buddha who gave His first sermon on this day at Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh, India. While Hindus celebrate it in the honour of the great sage Vyasa, who is seen one of the greatest gurus in ancient Hindu traditions, and a symbol of Guru-shishya parampara, the Guru disciple tradition. Vyasa was not only believed to have been born on this day, but also to have started writing the Brahma Sutras on ashadha sudha padyami and ends on this day, hence their recitations as a dedication to him, are organised on this day, which is also known as Vyasa Purnima.

The festival is common to all spiritual traditions in Hinduism, where it is dedicated to the expression of gratitude towards the teacher by his/her disciple. Hindu ascetics and wandering monks (sanyasis), observe this day by offering puja to the Guru, during the Chaturmas , a four month period during the rainy season, when they choose seclusion, and halt at one selected place; some also give discourses to the local public. This day is significant for disciples who seek to get initiated by their Guru, students who desire to get the blessings of their teachers, and for everyone who wants to honor persons of great wisdom and learning. Students of the Indian classical music, which also follows the Guru shishya parampara, celebrate this festival, around the world.

Significance

Seekers try to get as much opportunity to do Satseva of the Guru as possible during this period. As the Guru principle is 1000 times more active during this period, when compared to any other day during this year, the satseva done on Guru Poornima fetches substantial grace of the Guru for their spiritual progress. (Ref : Sanatan Prabhat)

The relationship between the Guru and the Disciple is considered very sacred. This relationship is purely spiritual in nature and is independent of age of the two. It is based on maturity of Gyan (Spiritual Knowledge) and Shraddha (Respect). The only awareness that a Disciple should foster is, 'I should be uplifted spiritually'. The Guru too harbours only one thought, 'May this Disciple be uplifted'. (Ref : Sanatan Prabhat)

Pranamam to all Gurus on the occasion of Guru Purnima. May the Guru's rays fall on all of us on this Auspicious day. May the Guru enlighten us in the path of our Spirutal thirst in Guru Sisya Parampara.

Wish you a very Happy Guru Purnima. 🤗  ðŸ¤—

(Sources:-

http://hinduism.about.com/od/festivalsholidays/a/gurupurnima.htm

http://www.experiencefestival.com/wp/videos/krishnam-vande-jagath-gurum-sri-krishnashtakam-a-sanskrit-sloka-on-sri-krishna-must-listen/58IJao435xw )

Some related Links:

http://www.eaisai.com/baba/docs/gurup.html

http://blog.traveladda.com/guru-purnima-respect-for-respectful-souls.html

http://vedantavision.org/guru-purnima/guru-purnima.html

http://oshospeak.blogspot.com/2005/07/guru-purnima.html

(http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vedic-astrology-jyotisha/315125-auspicious-occasion-guru-purnima.html)

http://www.priyadarshan.org/guru-purnima-a-story-the-mahabharata-308.html

Edited by Debipriya - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Some Quotations from today's newspaper on the occasion of Guru Purnima:

The grace of  the Guru is like an ocean. If one comes with a cup he will only get a cupful. It is no use complaining of the niggardliness of the ocean. The bigger the vessel the more one will be able to carry. It is entirely upto him.- Ramana Maharshi.

Rainwater falling upon the roof of a house flows down to the ground through spouts shaped grotesquely like a tigers head. One gets the impression that the water flows from the tiger's mouth, but in reality it descends from the sky. In the same way, the holy teaching the comes from the mouth of godly men seem to be uttered by those men themselves, while in reality they proceed from God.- Ramakrishna Paramahansa

The more you become surrendered to the guru, the more you feel that you have freedom you never had before.- Osho

Also found a nice article on 'Guru Purnima':

Live the Guru Principle 

- Shri Shri Ravi Shankar

(Link- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/opinion/edit-page/Live-the-Guru-Principle/articleshow/9226063.cms)

Guru is a tattva, an element, a quality inside you. It is not limited to a body or form. There is a story that Krishna sent Uddhava, his close friend and a very wise man, to the gopis and gopas, who were full of devotion. Uddhava went to give them some wisdom, to talk about liberation, but none of them was interested in listening to that. They all said, "No, tell us some story about Krishna, tell us what is happening in Dwarka, where he is. We don't want to hear all this wisdom; you can keep that to yourself. But tell us what news you have of Krishna? We don't care about wisdom; we are happy with longing and we are happy with love. So, let's sing and dance". That's all they wanted to do. This is how love makes you crazy. That's when all the boundaries drop; you feel one with everyone around, and one with the whole universe - and that's called Guru tattva.

Devotion is your nature. When you rest in your own nature, there is no conflict. But usually we feel a conflict. We feel bad about a negative quality we have or something that we did. A Master is one who lifts these burdens from you that you yourself cannot carry - and kindles in you devotional love. Offer everything to the Master - your anger, your frustration, all your bad feelings and good feelings. Your negativity pulls you down. Your positive qualities bring pride and arrogance in you. Your whole life becomes a big weight. When you offer it all, you become free. You become light like a flower. You can again smile and rejoice in the moment. What remains in you is pure love.

Since ages, all this knowledge and wisdom have been passed on. On Guru Purnima, we express our gratitude to the guru-shishya tradition. It's the day to celebrate knowledge and love. Mind is connected with moon, and the full moon is a symbol of completion, celebration, a pinnacle. The highest desire is to ask for knowledge and freedom. Ultimately, happiness cannot be bought by money. Comfort is a small thing. But there are only two things that will be asked, and that make life more fruitful – how much love did you give? And how much knowledge did you acquire?

What gets imprinted in the consciousness is knowledge. Knowledge is not what you read in a book; it is awareness. Knowledge is like the ocean. Some people take a walk along the beach and they get good oxygen, fresh air and they are happy with that. Others would put their feet in the water and feel that scintillating impact of the ocean. Some others go surfing or scuba-diving and they find precious things. So, it's up to you - if you want to take a walk on the beach, swim or go deeper.

Every single person on this planet is a spiritual seeker - everyone is looking for peace, love and happiness, and this is what spirit is. Guru Purnima is the day when the disciple wakes up. More gratitude means more grace, happiness and knowledge. On this significant day repose on the vastness of your own self, review your progress on the spiritual path, renew your focus on the goal, and resolve what you want to do in the coming year.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for creating the thread di 🤗 Reserved for comments and additions, though they have been made after the day itself... it's never too late to pay obeisance to the guru 😆
...PARiNA... thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks di ... beautifully organized the thread ...

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Reproduced below is (what I think ) the best salutation ever written. This is an ashtakam  (eight verse sloka ) composed by Adi Shankara .

The refrain goes something like this

MANASCHE  NA LAGNAM  GURO  RANGHRI  PADME,
TATAH  KIM, TATAH  KIM, TATAH  KIM,  TATAH  KIM…

If the mind does not dwell not he feet of the Guru, what is the use?  what is the use? (tatah kim can be loosely translated as So what So what )

SHAREERAM  SUROOPAM  THATHA  VAA  KALATRAM,
YASASCHARU  CHITRAM  DHANAM  MERU  TULYAM,
MANASCHE NA LAGNAM GURO  RANGHRI  PADME,
TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM………

Body is handsome, wife is attractive, fame spread far and wide, wealth enormous and stable like Mount Meru; but of what consequence are all these, if the mind is not riveted in devotion to the lotus feet of Guru? Really of what use is all this, what use, what use?

KALATRAM DHANAM PUTRA POUTRAADI SARVAM,
GRUHAM BHAANDAVAA SARVA METTADHI JAATAM,
MANASCHE NA LAGNAM GURO RANGHRI PADME,
TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM……….2

Wife, wealth, son, grandson, and the like, house, relations, even if all these are there fate is certain, of what consequence is one's life if his mind is not devoted to the feet of Guru? Ascertain, what use is any possession, person or object? Of what use, of what use, of what use indeed?

SHADANGAADHI VEDO MUKHE SHASTRA VIDHYAA,
KAVITVA AADHI GADHYAM, SUPADHYAM KAROTI,
TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM……….3

All the Vedas are mastered and ever present on the lips; likewise, knowledge of all the sciences is well gained. The ability to write prose or verse is also present. Even then, of what ultimate benefit is all this, if one's mind does not devoutly rest on the feet of Guru? By whose grace along can one's soul be liberated? Of what use, of what use, of what use indeed?

VIDHESESHU MAANYAHA, SWADHESESHU DHANYAHA,
SADHAACHAARA VRUTTESHU MATTO NA CHA ANYAHA,
TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM……….4

I am honoured well even in far off places, held in high esteem in my own locality; in good conduct and noble deeds there is no one to excel me. If one has occasion to think like this, of what avail is it if the mind is not steeped in devotion and humility towards the feet of the Guru from whom alone can flow wisdom and immortality?

KSHAMAA MANDALE BHUPA BHUPAALA BRINDIHI,
SADA SEVITAM YASYA PAADAARAVINDAM,
TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM……….5

Your feet may be worshipped constantly even by the great kings and emperors of the world for reason of your greatness and scholarship; but of what real consequence is that if the mind is not graced by the blessing of unflinching devotion to the Guru, by whose loving 'touch' alone can redemption and peace be realized?

YASHO ME GATTAM DHIKSHU DHAANA PRATAAPAATH
JAGADVASTU SARVAM KARE YATPRASAADAATH
TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM……….6

Of what avail if one has enough merits to think my fame has already spread in several places due to my unique generosity and a result, all things of the world stand within my easy reach? For, the virtue and quality that count ultimately is only one's unflinching loyalty and devotion towards the Guru whose blessings are the ultimate factor for realization of Truth by a devoted seeker.

NA BHOGE, NA YOGHE, NA VAA VAAJIRAAJAA,
NA KAANTAA MUKHE NAIVA VITTESHU CHITTAM,
TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM……….7

The mind may have turned away from external delights through dispassion and from attainments like Yogic concentration, possessions like horses and the like, the enchanting face of the beloved, in short, the entire wealth of the earth; yet it will be of no real merit if the mind is not absorbed in piety and devotion to the feet of Guru. Bereft of this devotion, of what benefit is anything, of what benefit, of what benefit?

ANARGYAANI RATNAANI BHUKTAANI SAMYAK
SAMA LINGITA KAMINI YAAMINEESHU
TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM, TATAH KIM……….8

Even if I find in my possession precious stones or pearls and well decorated and dressed lovable bride, yet if my mind is not absorbed in devotion to the lotus feet of the Guru, of what use is any other possession?

English Meaning sourced from here :http://kathavarta.com
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
reopening the thread as this sacred day is approaching again :)
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: lola610

reopening the thread as this sacred day is approaching again :)

When is it?
MagadhSundari thumbnail
It's today, the 22nd!
Edited by lola610 - 10 years ago
MagadhSundari thumbnail

Guru Paduka Stotram – Adi Shankaracharya

Anantha samsara samudhra thara naukayithabhyam guru bhakthithabhyam,
Vairagya samrajyadha poojanabhyam, namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 1

The crossing of the endless ocean of
samsara is possible by the boat that is sincere devotion to the Guru.
Showing me the way to the valuable
dominion of renunciation, O dear Guru, I bow to thy holy sandals.

Kavithva varasini sagarabhyam, dourbhagya davambudha malikabhyam,
Dhoorikrutha namra vipathithabhyam, namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 2

Like a full moon for the ocean of the Knowledge, Like down pour of water to put out the fire of misfortunes,
Removing the various distresses of
those who surrender to them, O dear Guru, I bow to thy holy sandals.

Natha yayo sripatitam samiyu kadachidapyasu daridra varya,
Mookascha vachaspathitham hi thabhyam, namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 3

Those who prostrate to the blessed
padukas of their Guru, becomes possessors of great wealth, and overcome the
curse of their poverty very quickly.

Such is the inexplicable power of
these padukas that the dumb ones become eloquent speakers, O dear Guru, I bow
to thy holy sandals.

Naleeka neekasa pada hrithabhyam, nana vimohadhi nivarikabyam,
Nama janabheeshtathathi pradhabhyam namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 4

Attracting us to the lotus like feet of our Guru, removing all kinds of desires borne out of ignorance, Fulfilling all the desires of the
disciple who bows humbly, O dear Guru, I bow to thy holy sandals.

Nrupali mouleebraja rathna kanthi sariddha raja jjashakanyakabhyam,
Nrupadvadhabhyam nathaloka pankhthe hey, namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 5

Shining like a precious stone adorning the crown of a king, they stand out like
a beautiful damsel in a river invested with crocodiles.
They raise the devotees to the state
of sovereign emperors, O dear Guru, I bow to thy holy sandals.

Papandhakara arka paramparabhyam, thapathryaheendra khageswarabhyam,
Jadyadhi samsoshana vadaveebhyam namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 6

Shining radiantly like the Sun, effacing the endless darkness of the
disciples sins, Like an eagle for the snake like tree-fold pains of samsara,
Like a conflagration of fire whose heat dries away the ocean of ignorance, To such supreme padukas of my Guru, I humbly surrender

Shamadhi shatka pradha vaibhavabhyam, Samadhi dhana vratha deeksithabhyam,
Ramadhavadeegra sthirha bhakthidabhyam, namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 7

They endow us with the glorious six qualities like Shama, Full of charity to bless the initiated ones with the ability to go into Samadhi,
Blessing the devotees with permanent devotion for the feet of Lord Vishnu (Ramadhava), to such divine padukas, I offer my prayers.

Swarchaparana makhileshtathabhyam, swaha sahayaksha durndarabhyam,
Swanthachad bhava pradha poojanabhyam, namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 8

Fulfilling all the wishes of the disciples, Who are ever available and dedicated for Sewa, Awakening the sincere aspirants to the divine state of self-realization, To such divine padukas I bow again and again.

Kaamadhi sarpa vraja garudabhyam, viveka vairagya nidhi pradhabhyam,
Bhodha pradhabhyam drutha mokshathabhyam, namo nama sri guru padukhabyam. 9

They are like an eagle for all the serpents of desires, Blessing us with the valuable treasure of discrimination and renunciation,
Granting us the knowledge to get instant liberation from the shackles of the life, To such divine padukas I bow again and again.

MagadhSundari thumbnail

Guru Stotram

A selection from 'Guru Gita' as given in Uttarakhand section of 'Skanda Purana' in the form of a dialogue between Shiva and Uma (Shakti).

Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu
Guru Devo Maheshwara
Guru Sakshat Param Brahma
Tasmai Shri Gurave Namah

Guru is Brahma, Guru is Vishnu, Guru is Lord Maheshwara. Guru is verily the supreme reality. Sublime prostrations to Him.

Dhyanamoolam Guru Murti
Pujamoolam Guru Padam
Mantra Moolam Guru Vakyam
Moksha Moolam Guru Kripa

The bestowal of liberation is only the Guru's grace. Real worship is of the Guru's feet. The basis of all mantras is the words of the Guru. The bestowal of liberation is only the Guru's grace.

Akhanda Mandalakaram
Vyaptam Yena Characharam
Tat Padam Darshitam Yena
Tasmai Shri Gurave Namaha

I prostrate to the Sadguru by whom the whole world, comprising of unbroken consciousness, is pervaded and filled through and through in every moving and unmoving object. Sublime salutations to the Guru who is established in That and who has awakened me to its realisation.

Manathaha Shri Jagannatha
Madguru Shri Jagadguru
Madatma Sarvabhutatma

My Lord is the Lord of the Universe. My Guru is the Guru of the whole world. My Self is the Self of all beings, therefore I prostrate to my Guru who has shown me this.

Gyana Shakti Samarudham
Tatwa Mala Vibhushitam
Bhukti Mukti Pradata Cha

He who is established in spiritual knowledge and power, who is adorned with the garland of truth, the Reality, He who bestows both liberation and enjoyment here in this world... to that Guru sublime, Salutations.

Sthavaram Jangamam Vyaptam
Yatkinchit Sacharacharam
Tatpadam Darshitam Yena

Whatever is moving and unmoving and that which pervades whatever is animate and inanimate, to that Guru who reveals all these things, sublime Salutations.

Chinmayam Vyapitam Sarvam
Trai Lokyam Sacharacharam
Tatpadam Darshitam Yena

I prostrate to the Guru who has made me realise that essence which pervades past, present and future and all things moving and unmoving.

Chaitanyam Shashvatam Shantam
Vyomateetaha Niranjanaha
Bindu Nada Kala Teetaha

Prostrations to the Guru who is eternal, peaceful, unattached, full of light and knowledge, beyond the stages of Nada, Bindu and Kala, and who transcends even the ether.