India and Pakistan - Page 16

Posted: 17 years ago
welcome back old thread 😆

well i dunno wat i wrote b4 and iim not abt 2 go baq lukin 4 it either 😆

but india is india and pakistan is pakistan they r 2 countries and both have 2 accept the other and live 2gether happily...this hostility is harmful 4 both countries...2 countries as similar in culture as india and pakistan (the only major diffz ive observed in the 2 is tht pakistan is muslim domin8ed and india is hindu domin8ed but there r hinduz and other religionz in pakistan and muslimz and other religionz in india so even tht shudnt b as big an issue as itz ben made in2)shud use this 2 their advantage by combining their similarities and helping one and another succeed and also they r constsantly threatened by 1 and another so they r preocupied with tht abnd cant focus on da development of their country tht well

in short...b happy...i mean how hostile can u stay with ur neighbor?...bring over brownies or volunteer 2 shovel the drive way..and hug and make up 😆
WELL I THINK KASHMIR SHUDNT BE A PART OF ANY OF THOSE COUNTYZ CUZ ITS CAUSING PROBLEMS AND THATS KINDA DA MAIN REASON OF THE COUNTRYZ FIGHTING,
IM A MUSLIM BUT I RESPECT BOTH COUNTRYZ N I THINK THEY BOTH ARE PURE
PLZ BE NYC AND GUYZ DNT TAKE THIS TOPIC PERSONAL CUZ I KNO HEARTGIRL N IM SURE SHEZ JUS TRYING TO SOLVE THE MATTER 😛
Originally posted by dhanu86

pakistan means pure state, so long as we're the un-pure, there can't be peace

Well, if pakistan means pure doesnt mean that hindustan means impure, Would u plz like to prove ur statement wid some facts!

Herez some information that i found interesting specially the bangladesh formation story

Originally posted by CBC

For one, the announcement of the new borders caused the greatest migration in human history as millions of Muslims left India for Pakistan while millions of Hindus left Pakistan for India. ----->> Well, i highlighted it for someone who said, " why should kkasmiri muslims leave thier homes to go into pakistan?" Well, tab circumstances aise the ki sabko apna sab kuch chod ke jaana para..apni jaan ke liye, apni family ke liye and all. isliye aapka yeh kehna ki "Wo kyun choden" mere mann ko acha nahi laga!

Secondly, the new nation Pakistan consisted of two separate chunks of land, which sat at opposite sides of India – a problem that would later lead to the creation of yet another new country.

Lastly, there was Kashmir. With the deadline for the vote passed, Kashmir had failed to choose whether it wanted to be part of India or Pakistan, therefore leaving the issue unresolved. It didn't take long for Pakistan and India to begin fighting over it.

Only two months after independence was won, tribesmen from Pakistan's North West Frontier province invaded Kashmir. At the time, the population of Kashmir was about 80 per cent Muslim.

The invasion caused Hari Singh, the Maharajah of Kashmir, to sign an accord joining Kashmir to India. Indian troops were sent in to defend what was now Indian territory.

The war ended on Jan. 1, 1949 with the United Nations creating a ceasefire line, known as the "line of control." Azad Kashmir, a region in northwest Kashmir, was given to Pakistan.

In 1965, war broke out again in Kashmir and continued until both governments signed a ceasefire agreement negotiated by the British.

I dont get this. Were we free from britishers or not ???

But Kashmir remains a contentious issue. In the last 10 years, fighting in Kashmir has claimed the lives of between 30,000 and 60,000 people.

This figure is just given cbc. I guess there are more than that. What are the two countries getting out of it? 

The other major conflict between India and Pakistan occurred in 1971.

From the beginning, Pakistan's unique geography was a problem. When the country was originally created in 1947, it consisted of two sections, known as West Pakistan and East Pakistan. The two parts were approximately 1,600 kilometres apart and had nothing between them but foreign territory (India).

The distance wasn't the only thing that divided them.

There were also major linguistic, cultural and economic differences. West Pakistan was made up of many ethnic groups, such as Punjabis, Sindhis, Pathans, Balochis and Mohajirs (Muslim refugees from India). East Pakistan, on the other hand, had a more homogenous population, who mostly spoke Bengali.

And since the smaller East Pakistan (which was about one-seventh of Pakistan's total area) Was this the reason that aggravated pakistanis?!?was home to more than half the country's population, these differences weren't something that could simply be ignored. However, East Pakistan's Bengali people grew to feel that that was exactly what was happening.

They believed a West Pakistani elite held the country's political power. Eventually, a nationalist movement grew, demanding more autonomy for East Pakistan within the country.

Formation of bangladsesh:

Then, in early 1971, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his Awami League Party won 167 out of the 313 seats in the Pakistani government. The party ran on a platform of greater autonomy for East Pakistan. The election victory didn't sit well with West Pakistan, which had Mujibur Rahman arrested and his party banned.

Rioting broke out in East Pakistan. West Pakistan sent in the military to quash the uprising. Nobody knows how many civilians died but estimates range from 300,000 to more than a million.

Tens of thousands of refugees (including Muslims, Hindus and others) escaped the violence by crossing the border into India's West Bengal province.

Having failed to elicit a response from the international community, India decided to support the Bengali people in their struggle to liberate East Pakistan. By November 1971, India and Pakistan were at war again.

The war didn't last long though. By mid-December, the Indian and Bengali forces had taken numerous Pakistani prisoners as well as taking control of East Pakistan. The area seceded from Pakistan, becoming what is now Bangladesh.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/india_pakistan/

Edited by heart girl - 17 years ago