Mythological Masti

Lakshman- The icon of dedication

Chiinnu thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

Since there i no separate thread to discuss about Lakshman , thought of opening one.

Lakshman is my all time favorite character of Ramayana and he is the best example of love and affection to his brother and fellow beings. He teaches the lessons of universal brother hood and loyalty and gives us light in the darkness.

is there any other character in any purana's that is so innocent and loyal as lakshman was ?

what makes him the best example of love and purity ?

Was the battle started because of him ?

What makes the shloka
'Ramam Dasharatham vidhi
mam vidhi Janakatmajam
Ayodhyam atavim vidhi
Gacha tata yatha sukham'

The most important shloka of Ramayana ?

( Told by Sumitra to Laxma during the start of vanvas and it means - Imagine Ram as dasharath and Sita as me, let the forest be Ayodhya itself for you, and vatsa, be fine .)

Was this a mistake from his side to leave Urmila ?

Was this a fault from him to leave Sita alone , disobeying Rama's words ?

How important was his decision to save Vibhishana from Ravan by accepting the great weapon made by Maya ?

His words to Sugriva for inspiring him to leave the royal comforts behind, influenced you ?

Was Bharata a better example of love to his brother more than Lakshmana ?

Did he made a mistake by leaving Sita in the jungle ?

Was his death suitable for a great warrior ?

Edited by chinnu_manikyam - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
😍 Hayeee...one of my favourite Mytho characters.

is there any other character in any purana's that is so innocent and loyal as lakshman was ?

For me, he is the most loyal brother. To him his brother meant everything and he sacrificed everything for his brother. It was love in its purest form.

same as above

No. There is a scene in RS Ramayan where he admits to Ram that he feels that he is responsible for the battle. And Ram explains to him that no one is responsible for what happens in this world. It's all fate. The battle was necessary - to destroy Ravan. If Lakshman had not left Seeta alone, the battle would still have happened because the very purpose of the birth of Lord Vishnu as Ram is to destroy Ravan. Ravan's destiny would have created another path to the battle. Lakshman was not responsible for the battle.

Here are the scenes. See these...

What makes the shloka
'Ramam Dasharatham vidhi
mam vidhi Janakatmajam
Ayodhyam atavim vidhi
Gacha tata yatha sukham'

( Told by Sumitra to Laxma during the start of vanvas and it means - Imagine Ram as dasharath and Sita as me, let the forest be Ayodhya itself for you, and vatsa, be fine .)

Well, it cannot be THE MOST important shloka...😆 There are many others which deserve that position.

But it signifies Lakshman's devotion to Ram and Sita.

No. It was not. He couldn't have been able to serve Ram and Sita if he had his wife with him. He would have had an additional responsibility which would have caused hinderance to his duties to Ram. He wasn't going on a pleasure trip.

No, it was not a fault. He was torn between his duty to obey Ram's orders and stay there and the harsh words spoken by Sita. At that moment Seeta was not in a state where she could see reason. Lakshman knew that Ram would forgive him for disobeying his orders. But he wasn't sure as to what extent Seeta would go, if he disobeyed her.

How important was his decision to save Vibhishana from Ravan by accepting the great weapon made by Maya ?

Sorry...didn't get this one...please explain.

His words to Sugriva for inspiring him to leave the royal comforts behind, influenced you ?

Hmmm...influenced me???? Sugreeva??? sorry...

Bharat would have gone to the forest if he were in the same situation as Lakshman, BUT Bharat also had Dasharath's boon to fulfil. Dasharath had promised Kaikeyi that Bharat would rule Ayodhya. So, he had to fulfil that wish. He wasn't free to act as he wished like Lakshman. Lakshman was not bound by anyone's boons and promises.

Bharat was an equally good example of love, but had the additional duty of keeping up his father's promise. He ruled the kingdom for 14 years as Ram's representative.

Lakshman was overall happy. His brother meant the universe to him and he was with his brother. But Bharat was torn between love for his brother and duty to fulfil his father's wish. If he wished he would have gone to the forest too, but he couldn't. This is where Bharat scores above Lakshman.

You mean in Uttar Ramayan? He was ordered to do so, and he had to obey orders. No mistake on his part.

Death - you mean as shown in RS Ramayan? it would have been hurting(to me) to see Lakshman getting hit by an arrow and dying in a battlefield. You know I don't like anyone wounded and on deathbed (and hospital and all 😉) So, it's ok... 😆

Edited by visrom - 12 years ago
Bhavanab thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
What should I answer Vis ???? You said it all so perfectly !!!!
jaisiyaram thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: visrom

😍 Hayeee...one of my favourite Mytho characters.

You mean in Uttar Ramayan? He was ordered to do so, and he had to obey orders. No mistake on his part.

visrom answered everything so well that no need to add anything further to it.. just want to add something to the above question:

Laxman was very upset with the decision taken by Shri Ram and moreover, he was sad that Shri Ram instructed him to leave sita to forest. When Shri Ram called all his brothers including laxman, he narrated everything regarding his subject's talking about sita's character and without asking for any opinion he mentioned that if there is a bad reputation of any one in any part of world, the person end up living in hell. He further added that he is afraid of bad reputation as king as and this is his dharma to keep his subjects happy.. he said that on the name of dharma he may leave his body and can even disown his brothers too.

Finally he instructed laxman to go with sita to forest and added that if anyone of his brothers had any argument over it, he would consider them as his enemy. And then Ram sadly with tears in eyes, left the meeting with his brothers.

So Laxman was left with no option.. and most importantly after leaving sita to forest and returning to Ayodhya, his cart's rider Sumantra narrated Saint Durvasa's statements and told that everything was preplanned so not to worry :)

Jai Siya Ram
lakshmi42 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
No. I haven't ever found a character as innocent and loyal as Lakshman in the purana's. In fact he is another term for loyalty towards elder brother. He sacrificed all his royal pleasures, his mother, his wife and everyone and went to the forest with Ram and Sita to serve them.

He followed his elder brother as a shadow and he was always there to obey all the orders of Lord Ram. When Sugriv showed the ornaments of Sita; he told Ram that he had seen  only her anklets and he have never looked at any other part of Sita. This makes him best example of purity

The battle started because of Shurpanaka's lust and not because of Lakshman. He only did what a brother or brother-in-law must do

What makes the shloka
'Ramam Dasharatham vidhi
mam vidhi Janakatmajam
Ayodhyam atavim vidhi
Gacha tata yatha sukham'

In this shloka Sumitra is asking Lakshman to consider Ram as Dasharath and Sita as Sumitra. This shows the selflessness of Sumitra in contrast with the selfishness of Kaykei. Sumitra could also be selfish like Kaykei and ask Lakshman to stay back and enjoy the pleasures. But no. She asked him to follow Ram-Sita to the forest and that too not as a brother but as a servant. This shows how a mother should be.

Ram's vanvas was for a divine purpose. And some versions of Ramayan says that only a person who was a "brahmachari" for 12 years and who had sacrificed food and sleep for 12 years can kill Indrajith. This is a boon he got from Bhrahmaji that only a person who had more power of thapasya than Indrajith could kill him .  So if this has to fulfill his duty; that is to kill Indrajith then he had to leave back Urmila.

He had no other choice. He had always respected her as a mother and he haven't even looked at her. But Sita accused that he wanted to marry her and that is why he is not going to help Ram. This is a great insult to his self-respect and if he had to prove otherwise he had to go and look for Ram. He even drew the Lakshman-Rekha for her protection

He is a raghuvnashi and he had to protect a person who was given asylum even at the cost of his life. This instant shows that how much he respect his brother's decision.

Yes. This was something that showed how meaningless is worldly pleaures

No comparison between Bharat and Lakshmna. Bharat was unique in his own way and Lakshman in his own way of love. Both are really great examples of love towards elder brother.
He had no other choice. He had to obey the order of the king. When he  told Sita that Ram has abandoned her; she too asked him to obey Ram's order. He was really helpless in this situation.
This is a very sad part. He showed that he had no life after Ram has disowned him. I really feel sad for the tragic end of the great warrior.

Chiinnu thumbnail

What makes the shloka
'Ramam Dasharatham vidhi
mam vidhi Janakatmajam
Ayodhyam atavim vidhi
Gacha tata yatha sukham'

Well, it cannot be THE MOST important shloka...😆 There are many others which deserve that position.

But it signifies Lakshman's devotion to Ram and Sita.

yes it is, Vararuchi is once challenged to find this out and after being tired of not knowing he decides to leave the palace and when he reached a satra some devatas says ' poor Vararuchi , not even knows MAM VIDHI'

Chiinnu thumbnail

Sorry...didn't get this one...please explain.

Hmmm...influenced me???? Sugreeva??? sorry...

There was a situation during the final stage of war after the death of Indrajith.

Ravan himself came in to the fight and when he saw Vibhishana , he decides to kill him. So he took the weapon 'shakti' giftet by Mayasura during his marriage and it  was a heavy and huge one. So when it was about to be launched against him, Laxman started aiming arrows on Ravana to distract him. He became angry and left Vibhishana and Lakshman was hurt.

There is a long lecture from Lakshman to Sugriva during the topic 'Kritaghnata' (means not being dedicated to the helper) . Do read valmiki Ramayana kishkindha kanda for more information.

Chiinnu thumbnail

Death - you mean as shown in RS Ramayan? it would have been hurting(to me) to see Lakshman getting hit by an arrow and dying in a battlefield. You know I don't like anyone wounded and on deathbed (and hospital and all 😉) So, it's ok... 😆

I know we hates death beds 😆, we have seen enough 😛

sure he cannot be dead by hitting an arrow in battle field, so they decides to kill him in this unique way. But this was also painful to me. i am in love with his character and it is painful to see tears in his eyes. 😭 
My self surely miss that scene when it is on aired.

jaisiyaram thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: chinnu_manikyam

I know we hates death beds 😆, we have seen enough 😛

sure he cannot be dead by hitting an arrow in battle field, so they decides to kill him in this unique way. But this was also painful to me. i am in love with his character and it is painful to see tears in his eyes. 😭 
My self surely miss that scene when it is on aired.

I think death is not the right word to use !