|| Mythological Masti :: Doubts & Discussions || - Page 56

Posted: 6 years ago
Here's something interesting...
The concept of "Nathabati Anathbat" (Five Lords, No Protector) is NOT a dramatized distorted depiction of Draupadi's plight in the dice hall. The epic itself mentions it in passing when Draupadi narrates her plight to Krishna - 

"'Saying this the mild-speeched Krishna hid her face with her soft hands like the buds of lotus, and began to weep. And the tears of Panchali begot of grief washed her deep, plump and graceful breasts crowned with auspicious marks. And wiping her eyes and sighing frequently she said these words angrily and in a choked voice, 'Husbands, or sons, or friends, or brothers, or father, have I none! Nor have I thee, O thou slayer of Madhu, for ye all, beholding me treated so cruelly by inferior foes, sit still unmoved! My grief at Karna's ridicule is incapable of being assuaged! On these grounds I deserve to be ever protected by thee, O Kesava, viz., our relationship, thy respect (for me), our friendship, and thy lordship (over me)"

(Translated in Hindi, it would mean - "Mere na pati hain, na putra, na mitra, na bhai, na pita")

Of course, it does not sound as dramatic as the visualization of the concept itself (one of the televised adaptations actually showed her temporarily disowning her husbands post-vastraharan). 

I agree it could also be explained as her words coming out in anger and pain considering she even tells Krishna "Nor have I thee, O slayer of Madhu". 

But, it is clear that the aftermath of the dice game and the start of the exile wasn't so pleasant with regards to the Pandava-Panchali equation - considering she actually says that she has no husbands (even if uttered in rage and pain). 

And significantly, it is the very first thing she mentions before all other relations.
Posted: 3 years ago

This topic is unlocked now.

Edited by mnx12 - 2 years ago