Mythological Masti

Marriage in Vedic Age

Ankita_88 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago
I am going to post various reference from Manusamhita and Vedas.....i will show how various Puranas showed wrong things towards our society with their hormone satisfying stories....but mainly i will focus here on the way marraiges used to occur in Vedic ages......and i would love to know what you guys think about it ....since this is my beloved and da most respected Dayanand Saraswati verses....Before going to give the detail on this vedic marraige process i will love to throw some light on my most respected person Dayanand Saraswati...that will be in next part......and in this part i am going to create an index and will update it after ur reply...since i am not sure what you guys will think....😊

INDEX
PART1-
Life of Dayanand Saraswati , advantages and disadvantages of Distant and Near Marriages
Edited by Ankita_88 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ankita_88 thumbnail
I want you guys to read it once before going to the next post...This is my request...

SWAMI DAYANAND SARASWATI

Born: 12, February, 1824
Died: 31, October, 1883

Achievements
Dayanand Saraswati was a reformer and believed in pragmatism. He preached against many Rituals of the Hindu religion such as idol-worship, caste by birth, animal sacrifices and restrictions of women from reading Vedas.He was not only a great scholar and philosopher but also a social reformer and a political thinker. Dayanand Saraswati was responsible for the revival of the Indian educational system by bringing together pupil from different strata of the society under one umbrella, that is, classroom.

Early Life
Dayanand Saraswati was born on 12, February, 1824 in Tankara,Gujarat.His original name was Mool Shankar. His father Karsanji was a tax collector and was a rich, prosperous and influential person. He was the head of an eminent Brahmin family of the village. When Mool Shankar was eight years old, Yajnopavita Sanskara, or the investiture with thread of the "twice-born" were performed. His father was a follower of Shiva and taught Dayanand Saraswati the ways to impress the Lord. Dayanand was also told the importance of keeping fasts. On the occasion of Shivaratri, Dayanand had to sit awake the whole night in obedience to Lord Shiva. One such night, he saw a mouse eating the offerings to the God and running over the idol's body. After seeing this, he questioned himself, if the God could not defend himself against a little mouse then how could he be the savior of the massive world.

When Dayanand was fourteen years old, his sister died. He was so shocked by the sudden demise of his sister that he began to look upon death as a challenge. He also ran away from home to know the secret of death. In search of the answer, Dayanand wandered all over the country for around twenty years. During his course, Dayanand visited temples and sacred places of religious devotion. He met Yogis living in the mountains and forests but nobody had the perfect answer Dayanand was seeking for.

Lastly, Dayanand Saraswati went to Mathura where he found Swami Vrijananda and became his disciple. Vrijananda asked Dayanand to throw away all his books and learn directly from the Vedas. After completing his Vedic-education, Dayanand realized that his purpose of learning the "secret of death" has been satisfied. On the day Dayanand was to leave from the ashram, Swami Vrijananda called him and asked to spread the knowledge of Vedas in the society. The name Rishi Dayanand was also given by his guru Swami Vrijananda.

Arya Samaj
On 7 April, 1875 Dayanand Saraswati formed the Arya Samaj at Bombay. It was a Hindu reforms movement, meaning "society of the nobles". The purpose of the samaj was to move the Hindu religion away from the fictitious beliefs. 'Krinvanto Vishvam Aryam" was the motto of the samaj, which means, "Make this world noble". Today, the Arya Samaj organization is very active not only in India but also in various parts of the world. The United States, Canada, Trinidad, Mexico, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, South Africa, Malawi, Mauritius, Pakistan, Burma, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Australia are some of the countries where the Samaj has its branches.

The 10 principles of Arya Samaj
  • God is the efficient cause of all true knowledge and all that is known through knowledge.
  • God is existent, intelligent and blissful. He is formless, omniscient, just, merciful, unborn, endless, unchangeable, beginning-less, unequalled, the support of all, the master of all, omnipresent, immanent, un-aging, immortal, fearless, eternal and holy, and the maker of all. He alone is worthy of being worshiped.
  • The Vedas are the scriptures of all true knowledge. It is the paramount duty of all Aryas to read them, teach them , recite them and to hear them being read.
  • One should always be ready to accept truth and to renounce untruth.
  • All acts should be performed in accordance with Dharma that is, after deliberating what is right and wrong.
  • The prime object of the Arya Samaj is to do good to the world, that is, to promote physical, spiritual and social good of everyone.
  • Our conduct towards all should be guided by love, righteousness and justice.
  • We should dispel Avidya (ignorance) and promote Vidya (knowledge).
  • No one should be content with promoting his/her good only; on the contrary, one should look for his/her good in promoting the good of all.
  • One should regard oneself under restriction to follow the rules of society calculated to promote the well being of all, while in following the rules of individual welfare all should be free.    
  • Death of a saint
    Due to his radical thinking and approach to the social issues and beliefs Dayanand Saraswati had created many enemies around him. One such enemy of the saint was the Maharaja of Jodhpur. On the occasion of Diwali, the King invited Dayanand Saraswati to Jodhpur and killed him by offering food mixed with poison, in 1883. The king was believed to be against the principles of Dayanand Saraswati.😭

Ankita_88 thumbnail
PART#1

"Let a student* who has not violated his vows of Brahmachaarya(student-life), and has conducted
himself, righteously according to the advice of his preceptor, enter married life after he has
studied with their subsidiary sciences, the four Vedaas, three Vedas, two Vedas, or one Veda
only." MANU 3: 2. 

"Let him, who has faithfully discharged his duties towards his preceptor and received from his
father, - natural or spiritual (i.e., the teacher), the gift of the knowledge of the Veda, sit on an
elegant bed, decked with a garland of flowers; and let his father ( natural or spiritual) honor him
with the present of a cow." MANU 3: 3. A female student possessed of the aforesaid qualification
should also be honored in the same way by her father. 

"Let a twice-born man (Braahman, Kshatriya, and Vaish) after having obtained the consent of his
teacher and taken the bath ( prescribed for the ceremony of Return Home from the seminary),
return home and espouse a maid, of his own Class, endowed with excellent qualities." MANU 3:

*Make or Female

"A girl, who is not descended on his mother's side within the sixth degree and does not bear the
same family name (Gotra) as his father's. is eligible for marriage." MANU 3: 5. 
It is a fact that "we do not love or value a thing, that we are familiar with, so much as one that is
hidden from our view." SHATHAPATHA BRAAHMANA. For instance, if a person has heard a
great deal about the sweetness of sugar, but never tasted it, his mind is taken up with the desire
of tasting it. Or when we hear a person, who is not known to us, highly extolled for his excellent
qualities, it makes us very eager to make his acquaintance. For the same reason, a man should
marry a girl, who comes from a distant country and is not a near relative either on his mother's
side or father's side.* 

The Advantages and Disadvantages of Distant and Near Marriages

The advantages and disadvantages of distant and near marriages respectively are:-
1.  Any two persons who have, in their childhood, lived near each other, played and
quarreled together, loved one another, noticed each other's faults, imperfections,
ebullitions of temper and misbehaviors, and perhaps sometimes, even each other undressed, if married to
each other, can never love each other to the extent desired.

*At Washington city before the National Medical Association long since in the session there, Dr. S.M. Bewis made the
following shocking statement: "My researches give me authority to say that over ten per cent of the deaf and dumb, and
over five percent of the blind , and nearly fifteen percent of the idiotic in our State institutions for subject of these
effects, are the offspring of kindred parents."

2.  The marriage of near relatives does not improve the race from want of interchange of
fluids and essences (such as blood) of the body, it rather deteriorates it,. This is
analogous to the addition of water to water, no new quality being produced. 

3.  As the addition of sugar and such medicines as ginger, improves the taste and quality of
milk, so does the marriage of people, who are not related to each other (either on father's
or on mother's side), improve the race. 

4.  As in the case of an invalid, change of climate and diet very often effects a cure, so does
marriage with foreigners or distant people improve the health of the parties and prove
beneficial in every other respect. 

5.  When the parties are nearly related to each other and live amongst their people, the
sorrows and joys of one family will  affect the other and there will be many occasions for family disputes to arise; while
marriages among distant people and consequent separation from relatives lengthen t
thread of mutual love. This is not the case when they live near their people.

6.  When marriages are contracted with people of foreign or distant countries, things and
news from those countries can be easily obtained (and consequently relations between
different countries become closely established). This not possible when people marry
near relatives or persons living near their homes, or, in their own country. 
In Sanskrit a daughter is called duhitri (from Du - distant, Hit - good), because the
marriage of a girl to a man who comes from a distant country or distant part of the same
country is productive of good.

7.  If the bride's people do not live very far from her husband's home, there is a possibility of
her parents becoming poor, as whenever she visits her parents, they will have to give her
something or other by the way of a present. 

8.  If their people live near at hand, on any slight friction taking place between the husband
and the wife, she, feeling assured that her people will support her, will at once leave her
husband and go to her parents. That may become the cause of mutual reviling and
wrangling, for, women, as a rule, are so easily offended and pleased.

JUST LET ME KNOW WHETHER I SHOULD CONTINUE??? BECAUSE IF I AM HURTING ANYONE OR IF ANYONE FEELS BORED THEN I AM NOT GOING TO WRITE MORE...THIS IS THE FIRST PART....THERE ARE MORE..STILL NOW THE CHAPTERS LIKE "HOW TO CHOOSE A SPOUSE" , "WHAT IS THE BEST TIME FOR MARRIAGE AND WHICH IS THE BEST TIME" AND MANY OTHER CHAPTERS ARE YET TO COME........I SIMPLY DON'T KNOW WHETHER YOU GUYS WILL LIKE IT OR NOT....I AM KINDA TENSED REGARDING THE RESPONSE.....SO PLZZZZ LET ME KNOW.....I AM BITING MY NAILS.😕

...PARiNA... thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
thanks for sharing dear
i quite agree with but disagree on some points of adv and disadv of distant and near marriages

i never knew that marriage with foreigners or distant people improve the health of the parties

but can say that these days marrying far specially, becomes risky 😉 good example is the show Geet !! 😆 i hv noticed these days ppl prefer marring in the same state.

If the bride's people do not live very far from her husband's home, there is a possibility of
her parents becoming poor, as whenever she visits her parents, they will have to give her

yes attimes when the fam is near (its good for girl as she feels more protected ) but later it last in fights ... but dont agree the fam becomes poor .. it just the way both the fam accepts things ...
NOT all BOYS families are wrong... they can be lovable too .. attimes more then girls fam.

sorry i dint meant to hurt any1's feeling .. its just my PoV!

Edited by ...PARiNA... - 13 years ago
Ankita_88 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ...PARiNA...

thanks for sharing dear
i quite agree with but disagree on some points of adv and disadv of distant and near marriages

i never knew that marriage with foreigners or distant people improve the health of the parties

but can say that these days marrying far specially, becomes risky 😉 good example is the show Geet !! 😆 i hv noticed these days ppl prefer marring in the same state.

If the bride's people do not live very far from her husband's home, there is a possibility of

yes attimes when the fam is near (its good for girl as she feels more protected ) but later it last in fights ... but dont agree the fam becomes poor .. it just the way both the fam accepts things ...
NOT all BOYS families are wrong... they can be lovable too .. attimes more then girls fam.

sorry i dint meant to hurt any1's feeling .. its just my PoV!

PARINA i simply understand ur POV....even at quite some points i too feel that how can this be possible and all !!! but they say Vedas say ultimate thing....our mantradrishta (mind it our rishis did not invent or created those slokas they saw those mantras in samsadhisth state) Rishis were such phocha hua that i feel that whatever they say is the ultimate truth....i know kinda biased i am but still can't help..!!!😆