Who Gave Music of Aradhana? - Page 5

Posted: 12 years ago

@musicmuse

As regards liking or disliking a song, each one to himself. I don't think we should critisize anyone's choice! 

I am reproducing a relevant part of my question and poet Neeraj's answer:  

Baap bete ka sambandh kaisa tha aapas mein?

"Bahut achcha tha."

The fans have a problem. 
Researched
Originally posted by Researched

@musicmuse
Your comments:
"I wonder If Ameen Sayani actually used those words."
My reply:
If you doubt what is posted here, you are welcome to accompany me to meet him and personally confirm for yourself.

Your comments:
"SOME SUGAM SANGEET??how derogatory@ coloured."
My reply:
"This was the term used by many in those days. Read more about Sugam Sangeet below:
Light music is popularly known as 'SUGAM SANGEET' ' name given by senior officer of All India Radio ' Thakur Jaydevsinhji. Sugam Sangeet is a blend of two words ' Sugam ' Simply, easy to understand and, Sangeet ' means a music which is easy to understand. Here, 'Understand' stands for easy to enjoy. You need to understand to enjoy, but here, this "Understanding" should be very simple. Sangeet means Music. That means, this music is "easy to understand and enjoy". This definition is for 'Music'. Here, music is in the centre and as words (of Lyric) accompany music ' their togetherness should also be "SUGAM' ' easy."
Your Comments:
"What is wrong with classical music or folk music?"
My reply:
Everything is right with our classical music. Why break records of film music? Is that justified? 

Our problem has been that the person in authority tries to impose his personal likes/dislikes on the rest of us. In a matured democracy, this is not done.

Researched

I know what sugam sangeet is.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I just asked you to define it, because my next statement asked you if film music was not sugam sangeet or light music๐Ÿ˜† as per definition of sugam sangeet๐Ÿ˜ŠYou never replied to that.

I agree that if such a thing happened it was in bad taste.breaking records is just not done๐Ÿ˜Š

Our problem has been that the person in authority tries to impose his personal likes/dislikes on the rest of us. In a matured democracy, this is not done.

I like this statement of yours.

WE are a matured democracy, or should i say let us assume. but, what happens all around us in our daily lives, the politicians, goondas, the babus , lower ranking, higher ranking people around us, does it in any way reflect a democracy or a matured democracy?
since 1947, it has been a dynastic, autocratic, despotic [in different forms] of a so called government. The ministers in such a situation do what the powers to be want them to. I am not  justifying what that person did.

I have met enough media personalities and journalists to know how the whole thing works.
I will take everything with a major pinch of salt.

It was nice interacting with you.
Life is full of greys and every story has a few sides to it.

Thank you for the interviews you posted.

Ame[e]n๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Edited by musicmuse - 12 years ago

@musicmuse

As regards liking or disliking a song, each one to himself. I don't think we should critisize anyone's choice! 

I am reproducing a relevant part of my question and poet Neeraj's answer:  

Baap bete ka sambandh kaisa tha aapas mein?

"Bahut achcha tha."

The fans have a problem. 
Researched

Nowhere did i criticise anyones choice. I said what i felt or thought๐Ÿ˜Š about the songs i mentioned.

The relevant question was regarding their personal or professional relationship?๐Ÿ˜†

I seriously think you should post whole interviews and not bits and parts, should i say the juicy bits?๐Ÿ˜†

Like the above question has no integrity when we don't know the preceding question.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

There are more stuff off-record than posted anywhere and those are the bits which people need to know, the truth, integrity, honesty and the character of a person stands out.

nice interacting with you.๐Ÿ˜Š

@musicmuse

You wrote:
"I seriously think you should post whole interviews and not bits and parts, should i say the juicy bits?"
My reply:
I am morally bound not to post the interviews in full, as some of them, in part or full, are going to be part of a forthcoming biography on S. D. Burman. The copyright remains with me, but it is not right to publish the complete interviews as people are bound to lose interest in the biography. What I have been posting is the relevant bit, not juicy bit!
Ameen Sayani's interview is not part of that book, but being a recent one, I have yet not typed it completely from the voice recording. The total interview is of over an hour, and it takes me a long long time to listen to attentively and pound away, at my speed, on the laptop keys.

You wrote:
"Like the above question has no integrity when we don't know the preceding question."
My reply:
At an appropriate time, when you read the complete interview, you will realise the integrity or lack of it, while posting these bits and parts as you like to call them.

It was really nice interacting with you. Take care.

Wow!That's nice, a biography on SDB.

You should not have published even a bit of it before the biography was out, unless it was a teaser or preview of things to come๐Ÿ˜Š

Best wishes for your book๐Ÿ˜Š
@musicmuse
H Q Chowdhury of Bangladesh, whom Tripura Government has given an award for his research on Sachinda, is the author of the biography. He is one of the three leading lights behind a wonderful website on SDB, called SDB.net.
These titbits are neither a preview nor any publicity. I take liberty to share these to put the record straight.
Thank you for your good wishes.
Researched.

P.S. Does anyone in this forum know that Sachinda wrote quite a few articles, including his autobiography. I am quoting a passage from his autobiography, which will give us insight on the great soul.
"I have created all types of music, but my soul manifests through folk music. I have grown up in close contact with down-to-earth people, so the easy and simple folk tunes blossom in my voice naturally. Those tunes are my kingdom of imagination, they come automatically and my voice sings them spontaneously. For this, I need no practice as they have blended in my life. Regulations, formalities and protocol of the Royal Family were absent in me. One, who has felt the green of the open fields, whom mother nature has hidden in her lap in the shades of the large old trees, who has spent nights for reasons unknown in villages where humble kerosene lamps emit little light, watched the sky and loved it, who lost himself talking with village folks sitting on the earthen floor, how can the palace and its atmosphere restrict him?"

"I have created all types of music, but my soul manifests through folk music. I have grown up in close contact with down-to-earth people, so the easy and simple folk tunes blossom in my voice naturally. Those tunes are my kingdom of imagination, they come automatically and my voice sings them spontaneously. For this, I need no practice as they have blended in my life. Regulations, formalities and protocol of the Royal Family were absent in me. One, who has felt the green of the open fields, whom mother nature has hidden in her lap in the shades of the large old trees, who has spent nights for reasons unknown in villages where humble kerosene lamps emit little light, watched the sky and loved it, who lost himself talking with village folks sitting on the earthen floor, how can the palace and its atmosphere restrict him?"

Thank you for the above quotation. It is so eloquent and offers us glimpses of his nature. SD Burman is my favourite Music Director. The best which I like about his compositions is the way ion which  they fitted into so well into the movie situation. Of course the fact that he worked with such great directors as Bimal Roy, Guru Dutt,,Vijay Anand, etc also helped.
@diamond444
The more you come to know him, the more you love him. This is what Shakti Samanta has said about his involvement while creating music:

Shakti Samanta on S. D. Burman,
            "The first time I went to Dada for music for my film was for 'Insaan Jaag Utha'. He heard the story, the situation of the song, 'Janu jaanu ri...' and then asked me how I was going to picturise the song. I told him it was going to be shot between the wheels of two cranes. He wanted to know the approximate distance between the wheels of the two cranes. I thought it would be about 10-12 feet. A couple of days later I got a phone call      from him to go over to his place. When I reached there I saw that he had drawn a line on the floor of about 10 feet and was dancing around it trying to keep beat within the 10 feet! That was his involvement with his songs."
(Source: Article titled 'Composer With The Royal Touch' by Nalini Uchil in 'Star & Style'   Oct. 11 - 24, 1985.)

Nice video clip on RD Burman , the genius

Shows injustice done to him in not selecting him for any Filmfare Best Music Director Awards for Teesri Manzil

Release of book. lovely songs in the clip

Edited by Summer3 - 12 years ago