Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar

Who Gave Music of Aradhana? - Page 4

Researched thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Friends,
Some of us have talked about Raju Bharatan and the articles which have appeared in News Papers of repute. I am posting here an article by Raju Bharatan, which appeared in Hindustan Times, a News Paper of repute. In fact in some Cities, it sells more than the Times of India.

Though the present article is not connected with the subject under discussion, it throws more light on the father and son's harmony in creating music, music which we all admire and love. I understand that these interviews had also appeared earlier in 'Illustrated Weekly of India', which definitely was a paper of repute.

If readers are interested, they may see the remaining parts of the series, 'Pancham on SD Burman'.

Enjoy,
Researched 

RD Burman's success from his father's influence:

A three-part series of 'Pancham on S D Burman', an interview conducted by Raju Bharatan at the recording for the film 'Arjun' in October 1984, says a lot on the subject. The three parts are titled, 'DADA OH DADA', 'WHEN PAPA PREACHED' and 'To father with love'. These articles were timed around SDB's 32nd Death Anniversary.

These three articles were followed by the fourth article titled 'A MATTER OF FINE TUNING' by the same author. I am giving below excerpts from Part 4.

Excerpts from 4th Part:

Raju Bharatan: What's there left for Pancham to say about Dada Burman after that three-part life-and-times story? Plenty, but let's – by way of fine-tuning – concentrate upon just one RD-SD happening that space precluded me from detailing last week. Pancham was still at The Jet as director Shakti Samantha arrived to brief him on the first recording for 'Amar Prem'. "Dada too was there as Shakti outlined the song-situation to me" noted Pancham. "To an ordinary composer like me, it appeared a stock situation for which I produced a stock song. But Dada saw it totally differently. In fact, as Dada proceeded to observe:

'Your tune's absolutely straight, Pancham, where's the feeling in it? What if Shakti said a mere bhajan-style tune would do? You're a composer, Pancham, no mere tunesmith. How possibly could you place a bhajan-style tune on a prostitute, which is what Rinku (Sharmila Tagore) plays in Amar Prem.'

'This, remember, is no ordinary prostitute,' went on Dada. 'This is a situation in which the woman is a mother first, a prostitute after. So the tune you compose, Pancham, must cinematically reflect – in each note – the prostitute's mother instinct, which has suddenly been aroused by that child's straying into what's forbidden territory for such a kid.'

Feeling the music

'The tune must have a rare sentiment' added Dada. 'But your tune, if catchy, Pancham, sounds routine to the composer in me – it's taken no note of the prostitute's instant urge to mother that child. You have, here, to be sensed as feeling, evocatively, for the mother in the prostitute.'

"Saying which," continued Pancham, "Dada took over the harmonium from me and proceeded to modify the tune. Dada stayed within the same Khamaj thhaat, stuck to the same Raag Khamaj, while imparting a new feeling to my tune. The tune ultimately emerging was, if I'm to be honest, more Dada's than mine."

"I'd provided the base tune. It was left to Dada to give it a super-sensitive turn by which it unfolded the heart-tugging way it ultimately did on Sharmila Tagore – as Bada natkhat hai yeh Krishna Kanhaiya, ka kare Yashoda maiya ho.

"In that moment, I learnt from Dada that a composer's job doesn't end with preparing a mundane tune for a situation mundanely outlined to him," confessed R D Burman.

End of story

"The music-maker – as underlined by Dada – must get involved in the film's script, study the character for whom he's composing and acquire the perception to project his composing personality into the character by venturing to experience her experiences. It was this one Bada natkhat tune as reshaped by Dada," concluded Pancham, "that determined the tone I brought to the rest of the Amar Prem music – though numbers like Raina beetee jaaye, Chingaree koyee bhadke, Yeh kya huaa and Kuchch to log kahenge. The vocals of Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar did the rest."

The author (Raju Bharatan) concludes, "Can there be another Amar Prem, another Pancham? Only if there can be another Guide, another Sachin Dev Burman".

(Source: 'A MATTER OF FINE TUNING' by Raju Bharatan in HT-Caf, Nov. 5, 2007)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Researched thumbnail
Welcome friend diamond444,

Outlook Magazine took out their Special Issue called 'Bollywood Music Special', on 26 June 2006. They had appointed senior honchos of the Bollywood Music Industry as the members of the jury. Some of the jury members were Anu Malik, Gulzar, Jatin, Javed Akhtar, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Khayyam, Mahendra Kapoor, Manna Dey, Rajesh Roshan and Shantanu Moitra, amongst others.

This jury chose S. D. Burman as 'The Most Popular Composer' ever, that is from the beginning of our music, till the date of the selection. 

When did RDB assist SDB?
In readers' comments at the end of the article, I came across these comments by Mr V. A. K. Ranga Rao:  "And RD did not assist his un-well father in Jewel Thief or Aradhana. He did that for Chupke Chupke and Mili". I have it on the impeccable authority of my friend Hrishikesh Mukherji." V.A.K. Ranga Rao, Chennai
Excerpts from Profile of Mr V. A. K. Ranga Rao
An inherent hunger for cinema of the vintage era made him a staunch devotee, a fanatic of facts, a connoisseur of film history and its documentation (The British Film Institute™s Encyclopedia of Indian Cinema records its special thanks to him). His passion for gramaphone records of the 78rpm kind, made his collection of 42,000 in forty national and international languages, a unique source of knowledge and culture. In turn, it acquainted him with languages, dances, and music of many lands.

If one googles Outlook Magazine and goes to their issue of June 26, 2006, one can read the entire article, including readers' comments.

Researched
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

By the way Researh ji, any reason why the Indian Govt has refused to give Rafi Sahab the Bharat Ratna.
It is because they see Bollywood singing as not classical or cultural enough to earn it ?
Or is the panel too biased against him.

Researched thumbnail
@Summer3
Dear friend,
You have talked about the government! You may not know how we treated our past artists. You will be shocked, in case you don't already know.
I am posting below an extract from my recent interview with Ameen Sayani. In bold type are my words. Nos are for timing, so that I can go back to it. Normal type is what Ameen Sayani has said.
I have yet to complete text typing from the voice recording that I did. The total interview was for over an hour.
Enjoy,
Researched   

Ameen Sayani: What had happened was that (3.08)…. ……, that Hindi film music was at its zenith from the fifties. Actually, late forties, I'd say, it started coming into its own, with the playback system coming in, and all that. It was fabulous! And, Hindi film music was the greatest medium for the spread of national integration, and for the spread of the national language. Plus, it was the best home entertainment, and All India Radio used to play a lot of film music! A very good farmaishee programme was there. This was in the late forties, early fifties.  The came Information and Broadcasting minister, in India, called Dr B. V. Keskar.

I remember his name.

Who was a very, sort of, serious minded person, who did not like any tarak bharak. He did not like any kind of popular entertainment.

Ya, ya. (4.25)

He was into classical music or folk music. He created some sugam sangeet that is light music. And, the entire lot of film songs – and All India Radio had the best library of film songs ever in the world –  he banned film music in the fifties. Records were broken, thrown away.

Broken?

Broken also and thrown away. Or they were sold off, or given away. The whole, their entire library was cleared off Hindi film music.

And, Keskar had made such a lot of restrictions in All India Radio, not only banning Hindi film music, he had created a kind of boring seriousness. Announcers were not allowed to smile, they were not allowed to crack jokes, they were supposed to seriously very ……. announce, "ki yeh Akaaswani hai,ab aap sunenge, Mohd Rafi aur Lata Mangeshkar se ek pyar bhara jugal gaan."

Serious voice, as if to indicate ki yaar, may be some great national leader has popped off. (Every one has a hearty laugh.) We were told that All India Radio is doing it, so, you go ahead and do any damn thing you want.

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks I hope people like Keskarji n Hitler are a dying breed😆
Researched thumbnail
Welcome friend.
If hopes were horses, we could ride them!
Our leaders become dictators once they are elected.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
music-a-muse thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Butting in too late.😊

Love the songs of Aradhana except...... Does not matter to me, who gave the music for it😛

If the controversy is about this particular song Roop tera mastana, i personally would disassociate myself from it.

I guess it was meant to be romantic , seductive etc etc....i  for one found  the picturisation and the song funny....like Hum tum ek kamre mein from Bobby.😆 

There are more beautiful, romantic, seductive songs from the 50s and 60s😊

I think both RDB and SDB did not want to  be saddled with this particularly silly song and hence, never owned up for the disaster.😆 smart guys👏

Both are great musicians and May their soul rest in peace, despite Roop tera mastana.😃
music-a-muse thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Researched

@Summer3

Dear friend,
You have talked about the government! You may not know how we treated our past artists. You will be shocked, in case you don't already know.
I am posting below an extract from my recent interview with Ameen Sayani. In bold type are my words. Nos are for timing, so that I can go back to it. Normal type is what Ameen Sayani has said.
I have yet to complete text typing from the voice recording that I did. The total interview was for over an hour.
Enjoy,
Researched   

Ameen Sayani: What had happened was that (3.08)'. '', that Hindi film music was at its zenith from the fifties. Actually, late forties, I'd say, it started coming into its own, with the playback system coming in, and all that. It was fabulous! And, Hindi film music was the greatest medium for the spread of national integration, and for the spread of the national language. Plus, it was the best home entertainment, and All India Radio used to play a lot of film music! A very good farmaishee programme was there. This was in the late forties, early fifties.  The came Information and Broadcasting minister, in India, called Dr B. V. Keskar.

I remember his name.

Who was a very, sort of, serious minded person, who did not like any tarak bharak. He did not like any kind of popular entertainment.

Ya, ya. (4.25)

He was into classical music or folk music. He created some sugam sangeet that is light music. And, the entire lot of film songs ' and All India Radio had the best library of film songs ever in the world '  he banned film music in the fifties. Records were broken, thrown away.

Broken?

Broken also and thrown away. Or they were sold off, or given away. The whole, their entire library was cleared off Hindi film music.

And, Keskar had made such a lot of restrictions in All India Radio, not only banning Hindi film music, he had created a kind of boring seriousness. Announcers were not allowed to smile, they were not allowed to crack jokes, they were supposed to seriously very ''. announce, "ki yeh Akaaswani hai,ab aap sunenge, Mohd Rafi aur Lata Mangeshkar se ek pyar bhara jugal gaan."

Serious voice, as if to indicate ki yaar, may be some great national leader has popped off. (Every one has a hearty laugh.) We were told that All India Radio is doing it, so, you go ahead and do any damn thing you want.

I found the bolded and coloured portion absolutely arrogant. I wonder If Ameen sayani actually used those words.

He was into classical music or folk music. He created some sugam sangeet that is light music.

SOME SUGAM SANGEET??how derogatory@ coloured.

What is wrong with classical music or folk music?

Most music aficianados knowthat most hindi film music songs have/had their base from indian classical and folk music.Unless notes were borrowed from western music. I do not see anything wrong in borrowing music and tuning it beautifully to suit the indian musical temperament.

What is wrong in light music?

how does one define light music.

are'nt film songs actually light music?😆

Till the 90s, most musicians , classical or otherwise survived  on concerts they gave when AIR invited them or recordings they made for AIR. Public concerts never paid much, very rarely musicians went abroad, not like today. They would beg and plead for recordings and being an A grade artist was a major achievement. 

AIR supported a lot of artistes. let us not deride the work of a major institution because film music was not allowed to be played for a number of years by a particular person.

We indians are ruled by movies and film songs.

There is more to life and music than film songs.😊

The supposed interview of Ameen sayani  does not ring true. I am not casting aspersions on the interviewer or the interviewee, there is a lot more to it than what has been posted i feel. smacks of yellow journalism to me😆or should i say green?😆

BTW Ameen sayani rejected Amitabh bachan twice when he applied for announces post in AIR😆

Ame[e]n!😆

Researched thumbnail
@musicmuse
Your comments:
"I wonder If Ameen Sayani actually used those words."
My reply:
If you doubt what is posted here, you are welcome to accompany me to meet him and personally confirm for yourself.

Your comments:
"SOME SUGAM SANGEET??how derogatory@ coloured."
My reply:
"This was the term used by many in those days. Read more about Sugam Sangeet below:
Light music is popularly known as 'SUGAM SANGEET' – name given by senior officer of All India Radio – Thakur Jaydevsinhji. Sugam Sangeet is a blend of two words – Sugam – Simply, easy to understand and, Sangeet – means a music which is easy to understand. Here, 'Understand' stands for easy to enjoy. You need to understand to enjoy, but here, this "Understanding" should be very simple. Sangeet means Music. That means, this music is "easy to understand and enjoy". This definition is for 'Music'. Here, music is in the centre and as words (of Lyric) accompany music – their togetherness should also be "SUGAM' – easy."
Your Comments:
"What is wrong with classical music or folk music?"
My reply:
Everything is right with our classical music. Why break records of film music? Is that justified? 

Our problem has been that the person in authority tries to impose his personal likes/dislikes on the rest of us. In a matured democracy, this is not done.

Researched

Researched thumbnail
@musicmuse
Your comments:
"I wonder If Ameen Sayani actually used those words."
My reply:
If you doubt what is posted here, you are welcome to accompany me to meet him and personally confirm for yourself.

Your comments:
"SOME SUGAM SANGEET??how derogatory@ coloured."
My reply:
"This was the term used by many in those days. Read more about Sugam Sangeet below:
Light music is popularly known as 'SUGAM SANGEET' – name given by senior officer of All India Radio – Thakur Jaydevsinhji. Sugam Sangeet is a blend of two words – Sugam – Simply, easy to understand and, Sangeet – means a music which is easy to understand. Here, 'Understand' stands for easy to enjoy. You need to understand to enjoy, but here, this "Understanding" should be very simple. Sangeet means Music. That means, this music is "easy to understand and enjoy". This definition is for 'Music'. Here, music is in the centre and as words (of Lyric) accompany music – their togetherness should also be "SUGAM' – easy."
Your Comments:
"What is wrong with classical music or folk music?"
My reply:
Everything is right with our classical music. Why break records of film music? Is that justified? 

Our problem has been that the person in authority tries to impose his personal likes/dislikes on the rest of us. In a matured democracy, this is not done.

Researched