Mythological Masti

Your favorite Rishi/Sage - Page 2

Poll

Which rishi from mythology do you most respect/admire?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago
Oooo nice topic 👍🏼
I wanna expand on this post when I get back home later, but for now I'll divulge that I voted for Naradji because of all the reasons Janu stated (in words much better than I could've come up with, I must add)... I also agree with Vrish about Vashisht and his serenity and sage-ness having been a part of him all his life, so that's a big draw... it was between those two, Valmiki, and Shukdev. More later.

--edited--
ok I'm back and I'm going to try to make sense of who I like and why before actually deciding, though I voted already. Bear with this potentially messy brainstorm session:

Vishwamitra and Ajaamil for being great examples of how it's never to late to get your act together.

Vashisht for all around purity and compassion and sage-ness (I love my new word)

Valmiki and Garg for both knowing events beforehand as authors and getting involved in them so deeply because of their devotion - good mix of gyaan and bhakti

Narad for inspiring Valmiki to first of all, if we believe the origin story that he was a daaku, become a new person and second to write the Ramayan and then doing the same with Vyas for the Bhaagwat... and apart from his being responsible for sage-ifying others, his devotion... and apart from that, like Janu said, the use of humor to give lessons in stories involving him

Shukdev for being so totally lost in devotion that he knew no difference between man, woman, human, animal, etc. - just Krishna 24/7 (do we call that lost, or should we call it being 'found' :P)

Kashyap for having been the father of so many divine incarnations

Atri for the pep talk he gave Drona (wish he did that earlier)

Janak - a raj rishi, how cool is that!

Kandu for his compassion

Hmmmm.... I guess I still have the longest list of reasons for Narad, though I find equal inspiration in several others as well - Valmiki, Garg, Shuk, Janak... yep, in terms of liking and knowing enough about to like, it's these 5.

Edited by lola610 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
This content was originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Though the facts you have listed is true, I cannot agree with you about Vishvamitra because those were all before he became a rishi. Kshatriyas were known to be prone to quick anger and pride, so I do not hold Vishvamitra as a sage responsible for whatever he did as Raja Kaushika. After he became a Brahmarshi, a friendship existed between Vasishta and Vishvamitra since both acknowledged the other's power and asceticism.

Also, I respect Sage Durvasa too, because though he was prone to anger, he was the reason that Kunti and Pandu were able to have children and also, he served as a catalyst for many events, much like Narada.

About Vyasa I do not know much, but as a sage I respect him and also, I am willing to read his Ramayana even if it deviates from VR's, because as you know by now, I do not limit myself to just one source where it concerns Puranas because I believe that from every source we can receive a different meaning of the epic, and as long as that meaning increases our devotion to God I find nothing wrong in believing it to be true. Also, I do not feel one human can write down the story of God in full and do justice to it just by himself. Only when many saints and many sages all speak of it from their own mouths can we understand it in full, and even then it is not enough. God's story is not limited to one mouth, so I honestly feel none of us have the right to say one version is right and one wrong, because what do we know what happened? We live in the Kali Yug and it happened in the Treta Yug, that is way too long ago to confirm anything, so again it all stems down to belief and it is meaningless to think our belief is right over another's.

Anyhow, I think you should have added Vishvamitra and Vyasa in place of Bhrigu and Kashyapa, because they are less known than the first two and plus, Vyasa is the composer of Mahabharat and a lot of people like him for giving us the story of Krishna and the Pandavas before anyone else.😊

How well known they are is less important than their actual role in events.  Kashyap was the preceptor of the Devas, Asuras and myriad other beings - both celestial and earthy.  That's why I put him there.  Bhrigu was one of the saptarshis, and the rishi who's blessings caused the birth of Parashuram, and according to some South Indian accounts, he, not Varuna, was the father of Lakshmi Devi.

Did Harishchandra come b4 Trishanku or after?  I seem to remember that he came after.  At any rate, Vishwamitra went thru several promotions on his way to becoming Brahmarshi - Rajarshi, Maharshi and then Brahmarshi.  And his torture of Harishchandra happened during one of those promotions.  Your attempt to blame it on his kshatriya attributes somewhat falls flat given those hard facts about him.

On Vyasa, I know we'll probably never agree about whether people are better capable of understanding things from one source of one event vs multiple but conflicting accounts of the same events, particularly from contemporaneous vs non-contemporaneous sources.  But yeah, I would have included Vyasa space permitting.

On Durvasha, other than granting Kunti that boon, is there anything else good that he ever did?  The only thing I remember about him is he always losing his temper & cursing someone or the other - in fact, the most eggregious was his incident w/ Raja Ambarisha, who  broke the ritualistic fast w/ water on advise of his Gurus instead of waiting for him, and Durvasha hurling a weapon @ him.  Or his threat to Lakshman, or his curse on the Devas b4 the samudra manthan, or his threat to Draupadi,...  I just lost count.  In fact, there are rakshashas and asuras I adore more than him, and I'm not talking simply Ravan or Indrajit.

Some others I was thinking of putting there - Kanva, Sudama(?)  I wondered whether Vamana & Parashurama would belong in this list: although they were Brahmins, Parashuram was a mass killer, while Vamana took that form simply to cheat Bali from his legitimately gotten conquests.  It's tough for me to dislike to characters who were avatars of Vishnu, but at the same time, I find it impossible to support what they did.
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Mind blowing analysis Lola. The sage-ness 😊 itself is so much divinely attractive to me that I loved your analysis taking out the respectable points from all. Just enjoyed like anything.

@Vrish

Well you say that you don't like sages to create confusion but each and every mythological source has some contradiction or the other with the other sources. Instead of the petty little differences of small incidents within the storylines, don't you see the similarity of stories? The very fact that Vyas wrote about Ram and Ramayan is not joyful enough to feel that he recognized the Lordship of Rama in Treta when he wrote Krishna's glory in Dwapar? The fact that Ramayan is part of Mahabharat also actually establishes clear link between two incarnations of lord (I mean it is further evidence or substantiation of harmony for believers although I always believe that Ram and Krishna both are far beyond the activities of even historical methods to prove their existence to non-believers or believers of just one epic) and that's Vyas's great contribution through Van parva otherwise no two sources of Ramayan are 100% same in all story events. How could you see Vyas from such angle when he was helped by Lord Ganesh himself and is also believed as per one theory to be part of Vishnu only out of his 24 part or full incarnations? He has written about glory of Krishna. He has written Mahabharat which includes the great message of Bhagwad Geeta which is worshiped by us to be our religious book and there are so many other Geetas within Mahabharat which is treasure of knowledge. And he was father of Shukdevji. In light of this, the reasoning of contradiction with Valmiki (also my beloved sage) and shelter to Ashwatthama didn't seem that big or convincing to me sorry friend. And the theory that Janaki has which you disagree with is not her baseless belief. It has got strong logical reasoning support too and hence I am fully with her. The trinity who are the different forms of one formless God are said to have their own forms or parts or incarnations of respective characteristics. Ram and Krishna are the Gods (who are said to be Vishnu's incarnations) have their own independent abodes named as Saaket and Golok as per sources. So these originless and endless forms of Supreme (Anaadi and Anant) didn't just take birth on the earth in Treta and Dwapar of current manvantar of current kalp but they are ever present in their abode and incarnate or manifest themselves in human form with their own nature (sagun roop) in many kalpas again & again. Our current Kalp is known to be Shwet Varah Kalp. I came to know that Padma Puran has the story of Ramayan which occurred in Padma Kalp which had most same characters and same major story events with some random differences of subpart events. So all different sources of Ramayan can be true to have occurred in different parts of long infinite time. Beside their forms, their names are also eternal as beej mantras or mantra moorties having their mention in Vedas such that each of the letters of their names have got Vedik and spiritual significance. Both Ram and Krishna were given their actual names (as per their divine origin) which were already known to Vashisth and Gargaachaarya (both my beloved sages again). So there is no reason why could/can Ramayan not take place repeatedly and each time there need not be stereotype cent per cent carbon copy incidents despite the basic dharmasansthaapan and teaching plot of the destiny remaining the same. This is my honest open thinking and opinion. I can't force you to change your way of looking but I expressed it with the genuine and noble intention to remove your confusion due to contradictions.

Moreover, if you already have knowledge about differences between Valmiki Ramayan and Mahabharat Van Parva story, why don't you post and share with us your inputs in this thread? It will be very much enlightening for all.

Regarding your other points, Vaaman is believed to have given the greatest of ends to the king Bali (and I agree that Shukrachaarya was doing his functional duties for Asuras race but always had some problems with Vishnu being friend of devas, am I not right? And did you speculate him to be voted by any member here if none of them were likely to vote for Vyas?) so I see to him to be as blissful short term incarnation as long time incarnations of Vishnu though I am mainly the devotee of Ram and Krishna by my greatest of feelings. Lord Parashuram is indeed a very interesting and questionable incarnation moralitywise. But he had the power, divine body, excellence and dharm-sansthaapan aim and to reduce the burden on the mother earth which is common in all incarnations (same aim different approaches). 'Mass destruction' was also done by Ram and Krishna though of asuras and not unprovoked without reason. Kshatriyas in Parashuram's times are believed to have forgotten their respect and duties towards Bramins who were required to be taught a strong lesson. Questionable issue is that his terror was generalized for the entire Kshatriya community and he brought about end of the entire races without being provoked by all those whom he killed. But he spared or happened to spare Janak and Dashrath. I have just written this paragraph in very short but I have read in quite a bit of detail about him at different places in the past and I can understand why you have confusion in treating him as sage (his mythological origin was of Kshatriya although born as Brahmin by exchange of fruits - exchange against Vishwamitra - having the opposite story of transformation of nature of birth - his bringing up - to nature of origin - his most deeds).

And also tell us about major stories and good & great appreciable/respectable achievements of sage Bhrigu so that you put him in options above Vyas provided the limited space permitted.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
ShivangBuch thumbnail
And this is Sauptika Parva text from KMG from our commonly known sacred-texts site (let us know exactly which part bothers you):

Drona's son, beholding that terrible bowman coming towards him bow in hand, and the two brothers on Janardana's car, became exceedingly agitated and thought his hour had come. Of soul incapable of being depressed, he called to his mind that high weapon (which he had obtained from his sire). He then took up a blade of grass with his left hand. Fallen into great distress, he inspired that blade of grass with proper mantras and converted it into that powerful celestial weapon. Unable to brook the arrows (of the Pandavas) and the presence of those wielders of celestial weapons, he uttered in wrath these terrible words: For the destruction of the Pandavas.' Having said these words, O tiger among kings, the valiant son of Drona let off that weapon for stupefying all the worlds. A fire then was born in that blade of grass, which seemed capable of consuming the three worlds like the all-destroying Yama at the end of the yuga."

Vaishampayana said, "At the very outset the mighty-armed hero of Dasharha's race understood from signs the intention of Drona's son. Addressing Arjuna, he said, O Arjuna, O son of Pandu, the time is come for the use of that celestial weapon which is in thy memory, knowledge of which was imparted to thee by Drona. For protecting thyself as also thy brothers, O Bharata, shoot in this battle that weapon which is capable of neutralising all weapons.'

Thus addressed by Keshava, Arjuna, that slayer of hostile heroes, quicklyalighted from the car, taking with him his bow with shaft fixed on the string. Softly wishing good unto the preceptor's son and then unto himself, and unto all his brothers, that scorcher of foes then bowed unto all the gods and all his superiors and let off his weapon, thinking of the welfare of all the worlds and uttering the words, Let Ashvatthama's weapon be neutralised by this weapon!'

That weapon, quickly let off by the wielder of gandiva, blazed up with fierce flames like the all-destroying fire that appears at the end of the yuga. Similarly, the weapon that had been shot by Drona's son of fierce energy blazed up with terrible flames within a huge sphere of fire.Numerous peals of thunder were heard; thousands of meteors fell; and all living creatures became inspired with great dread. The entire welkin seemed to be filled with noise and assumed a terrible aspect with those flames of fire. The whole earth with her mountains and waters and trees, trembled. Then the two great rishis, Narada, who is the soul of every
creature, and the grandsire of all the Bharata princes (Vyasa), beholding those two weapons scorching the three worlds, showed themselves there. The two rishis sought to pacify the two heroes Ashvatthama and Dhananjaya. Conversant with all duties and desirous of the welfare of all creatures, the two sages, possessed of great energy, stood in the midst of those two blazing weapons. Incapable of being overwhelmed by any force, those two illustrious rishis, placing themselves between the two weapons, stood like two blazing fires. Incapable of being checked by any creature endued with life, and adorned by the gods and danavas, they two acted in this way, neutralising the energy of the two weapons and doing good to all the world.

The two rishis said, "Those great car-warriors who have fallen in this battle were acquainted with diverse kinds of weapons. They, however, never shot such a weapon upon human beings. What act of rashness is this, ye heroes, that ye have done?"

Vaishampayana said, "At the very sight, O tiger among men, of those two rishis possessed of splendour like that of fire, Dhananjaya quickly resolved to withdraw his celestial shaft. Joining his hands, he addressed those rishis, saying, I used this weapon, saying, "Let it neutralise the (enemy's) weapon!" If I withdraw this high weapon, Drona's son of sinful deeds will then, without doubt, consume us all with the energy of his weapon. Ye two are like gods! It behoveth you to devise some means by which our welfare as also that of the three worlds may be secured!'

Having said these words Dhananjaya withdrew his weapon. The withdrawal of that weapon by the gods themselves in battle is exceedingly difficult. Not excepting the great Indra himself, there was nobody save the son of Pandu, who was capable of withdrawing that high weapon after it had once been let off. That weapon was born of Brahma energy. No person of uncleansed soul can bring it back after it is once let off. Only one that leads the life of a brahmacari can do it. If one who has not practised the vow of brahmacarya seeks to bring it back after having shot it, it strikes off his own head and destroys him with all his equipments. Arjuna was a brahmacari and an observer of vows. Having obtained that almost unobtainable weapon, he had never used it even when plunged into situations of the greatest danger. Observant of the vow of truth, possessed of great heroism, leading the life of a brahmacari, the son of Pandu was submissive and obedient to all his superiors. It was for this that he succeeded in withdrawing his weapon.

Drona's son, beholding those two rishis standing before him, could not by his energy withdraw his own terrible weapon. Unable to withdraw the high weapon in battle, Drona's son, O king, with a cheerless heart, said unto the island-born rishi these words, Threatened by a great danger, and desirous of protecting my life, I let off this weapon, through fear of Bhimasena, O sage! This Bhimasena of false behaviour, acted sinfully, O holy one, while slaying the son of Dhritarashtra in battle! It is for this, O regenerate one, that of uncleansed soul as I am I let off this
weapon. I dare not, however, withdraw it now. Having inspired this irresistible and celestial weapon with the energy of fire, I let it off for the destruction of the Pandavas. Contrived for the destruction of the Pandavas, that weapon, therefore, will take away the lives of all the sons of Pandu. O regenerate one, I have, in wrath, done this sinful deed. I invoked this weapon in battle for the destruction of the Pandavas.'

Vyasa said, "Pritha's son Dhananjaya, O child, was acquainted with the weapon called brahmashira. Neither from wrath, nor for thy destruction in battle, did he shoot this weapon. Arjuna, on the other hand, used it for baffling thy weapon. He has again withdrawn it. Having obtained even the brahmastra through thy sire's instructions, the mighty-armed Dhananjaya did not fall off from a kshatriya's duties. Arjuna is possessed of such patience, and such honesty. He is, besides, conversant with every weapon, Why dost thou seek to compass the destruction of such a person with all his brothers? That region where the weapon called brahmashira is baffled by another high weapon suffers a drought for twelve years, for the clouds do not pour a drop of water there for this period. For this reason, the mighty-armed son of Pandu, although he had the power, would not, from desire of doing good to living creatures, baffle thy weapon with his. The Pandavas should be protected; thy own self should be protected; the kingdom also should be protected. Therefore, O thou of mighty arms, withdraw this celestial weapon of thine. Dispel this wrath from thy heart and let the Pandavas be safe. The royal sage Yudhishthira never desires to win victory by perpetrating any sinful act. Give unto these that gemwhich is on thy head. Taking that, the Pandavas will in return grant thee thy life!"

Drona's son said, "This my gem is more valuable than all the wealth that has ever been earned by the Pandavas and the Kauravas. If this gem is worn, the wearer ceases to have any fear from weapons or disease or hunger! He ceases to have any fear of gods and danavas and nagas! His apprehensions from rakshasas as also from robbers will cease. Even these are the virtues of this gem of mine. I cannot, by any means, part with it. That, however, O holy one, which thou sayest, should be done by me. Here is this gem. Here is myself. This blade of grass (inspired into a fatal weapon) will, however, fall into the wombs of the Pandava women, for this weapon is high and mighty, and incapable of being frustrated. O regenerate one, I am unable to withdraw it, having once let it off. I will now throw this weapon into the wombs of the Pandava women. As regards thy commands in other respects, O holy one, I shall certainly obey them."

Vyasa said, "Do then this. Do not, however, entertain any other purpose, O sinless one! Throwing this weapon into the wombs of the Pandava women, stop thyself."

Vaishampayana continued, "The son of Drona, having heard these words of the island-born, threw that uplifted weapon into the wombs of the Pandava women."

Vaishampayana said, "Understanding that that weapon was thrown (into the wombs of the Pandava women) by Drona's son of sinful deeds, Hrishikesha, with a cheerful heart, said these words unto him: A certain brahmana of pious vows, beholding Virata's daughter who is now daughter-in-law to Arjuna, while she was at Upaplavya, said, "While the Kuru line will become extinct, a son will be born to thee. This thy son for that reason, will be called by the name of Parikshit." The words of that pious man shall become true: the Pandavas shall have a son called Parikshit. Unto Govinda, that foremost one of the Satvata race, while he was saying these words, Drona's son, filled with wrath, replied, saying, This, O Keshava, that thou sayest from thy partiality for the Pandavas, shall not happen. O thou of eyes like lotus-petals, my words cannot but be fulfilled. Uplifted by me, this weapon of mine shall fall on the foetus that is in the womb of Virata's daughter, upon that foetus which thou, O Krishna, art desirous of protecting.'

The holy one said, "The fall of this mighty weapon will not be fruitless. The foetus will die. But being dead, it will live again and have a long life! As regards thyself, all wise men know thee for a coward and a sinful wretch! Always engaged in sinful acts, thou art the slayer of children. For this reason, thou must have to bear the fruit of these thy sins. For 3,000 years thou shalt wander over this earth, without a companion and without being able to talk with anyone. Alone and without anybody by thy side, thou shalt wander through diverse countries, O wretch, thou shalt have no place in the midst of men. The stench of pus and blood shall emanate from thee, and inaccessible forests and dreary moors shall be thy abode! Thou shalt wander over the Earth, O thou of sinful soul, with the weight of all diseases on thee.

The heroic Parikshit, attaining to age and a knowledge of the Vedas and the practice of pious vows, shall obtain all weapons from the son of Sharadvata. Having obtained a knowledge of all high weapons, and observant of all kshatriya duties, that righteous-souled king shall rule the earth for sixty years. More than this, that boy shall become the mighty-armed king of the Kurus, known by the name of Parikshit, before thy very eyes, O thou of wicked soul! Though burnt by the energy of thy weapon's fire, I shall revive him. O lowest of men, behold the energy of my austerities and my truth."

Vyasa said, "Since, disregarding us, thou hast perpetrated this exceedingly cruel act, and since thy behaviour is such although thou art a good brahmana (by birth), therefore, those excellent words that Devaki's son has said, will, without doubt, be realised in thy case, an adopter as thou hast been of kshatriya usages!"

Ashvatthama said, "With thyself among all men, O holy one, I shall live! Let the words of this illustrious and foremost of men become true!"

Vaishampayana continued, "Drona's son, then, having made over his gem to the high-souled Pandavas, cheerlessly proceeded, before their eyes, to the forest. The Pandavas who had killed and chastised all their foes, placed Govinda and the island-born Krishna and the great ascetic Narada at their head, and taking the gem that was born with Ashvatthama, quickly came back to the intelligent Draupadi who was sitting in observance of the praya vow.

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Now few quotes from Adhyay 10 of Geeta - Vibhooti yog relevant to this thread.

Purodhasaam cha mukhyam maam, viddhi Parth Bruhaspatim

Of priests, O Arjuna, know Me to be the chief, Brihaspati.......24

Maharshinaam Bhruguraham

Of the great sages I am Bhrigu.......25

Devarshinaam cha Naarad
Siddhaanaam Kapilo muni

And of the sages among the demigods I am Naarada
Among perfected beings I am the sage Kapila............26

Raamah shastrabhrutaamaham

Of the wielders of weapons I am Raama (Parshuraam since Parshu is Shastra not astra)........31

Muninaam apyaham Vyaasah
Kavinaam Ushanaa kavihi

Of the sages I am Vyaasa (beauty is that this is written by Vyaas through speech of God in Mahabharat only with neutrality and God also tells about himself - Vrushninaam Vaasudevosmi)
And among great thinkers I am Ushanaa (Shukraachaarya)..........37

But the above list is only illustrative to explain the following essence:

Esh tuddeshatah prokto vibhootervistaro mayaa

What I have spoken to you is but a mere indication of My infinite opulences......40

Yad yad vibhootimat satvam, shrimadoorjitamev va
Tad tadevaavagachchhatvam mam tejonsha sambhavam

Know that all opulent, beautiful and glorious creations spring from but a
spark of My splendor............41
Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I too would love to read some positive accounts of Bhrigu, nothing I know of him so far makes him seem endearing but I like liking people 😳😆

If the possibility of him being Lakshmi Maa's dad is a factor, then that sort of causality brownie point can be given to Durvasa for making Arjun happen, and by extension, the Gita. Even to Vishwamitra, for causing the union of SiyaRam.

If we're looking beyond the causality brownie points and admiring the sages for what we can learn from them, then... for Durvasa, I also can't come up with anything 🤔 His conduct made it so we could learn from the people he bullied, but nothing I can think of that we can actually take home from him.

However, about Vishwamitra there's plenty to like I think, even apart from his function in uniting SiyaRam. First though, I gotta mention that as far as I remember, the tortures inflicted on Raja Harishchandra (one of my favorite mytho characters who isn't from an avtaar cycle) were part of a test designed by the celestials to figure out whether he's competition or way ahead of them. When Rohit is resurrected, doesn't it get revealed that the chandal cemetery keeper who Harishchandra was working for was none other than Yamraaj himself, and the rest of the team appears and congratulates him on passing all their tests? If that's the deal then Vishwamitra is not to blame for all that he went through, they had merely used him as an instrument.

For me, Vishwamitra is appreciable as a great redemption story, how far he came gives us something to be inspired by and learn from. What he was: a selfish guy who kept trading in his spiritual merit for childish contests in one-upmanship, losing, and doing the same thing again. And what he became: the one person who remembered Ahilya's plight when everyone else had forgotten, and either he was the only person convinced of her innocence or so compassionate that it didn't matter to him whether or not she was innocent and took Shri Ram to uddhaar-ofy her. No matter how far you fall, you can turn your life around and eventually become someone even God is happy to accompany wherever you go - that's what I take away from his story(s).
DamRyeong thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
GuruDev Brihaspati :)
sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I just love the way they dress. And how peaceful most of them are. And how they have answers for everything, like as in good advice. And full of stories and knowledge. Can't decide on one though.
...Mina... thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
i like narad ji the best!😃 narad puraan is very interesting and i always luv his mischief in the stories !!😆
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Definitely Narad Muni.