Mythological Masti

Natya Yoga - Page 2

Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Enjoyng this thread!!πŸ‘ πŸ‘  I'm really suprised that so far why we didn't have any thread on Classical Music/ Dance in our Forum!!.... This Thread made me so Happy, Aishu ⭐️ β­οΈ

Just watched this video 'Baje sargam har taraf se'  based on raag-'Desh', yesterday on Doordarshan and rememberd all about it.⭐️ Loved to watch it again and thought to share with all of you here😊. 

This is a short version of the song (i.e.-upto 6 min only). Along with the Musical (Vocal/ Instrumental) parts, this one also has So Many Dance Forms in it! (from 2 min of this video upto 5 mins)....

BTW-  Can anyone give me the names of the various dance forms shown here sequentially?  I can only identify- Odissi, Manipuri, Kathakali and Mohiniattam. 

I'm always a bit confused between 'Bharatnatyam' and 'Kathak', as I have never learnt any of these Classical Dance forms. πŸ˜³

Another link:-

This one has the Complete Song (i.e.- total 9 minutes), but the pic quality is a bit poor πŸ˜”. And it will take some time to load πŸ˜”, but I am really Happy to find this Complete Version of the Song in YouTube πŸ˜Š.

Loved to read about the experiences of both Aishu and Janu...

(BTW- Aishu, I'm yet to read that article you quoted in the 1st post πŸ˜³)

@ Asha, Do continue Dear, when you have time πŸ˜Š

@ Vedo, Really nice to know about the expanded form of the word 'Bharatnatyam'!  Haven't heard about it before.

Edited by Debipriya - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Wow, thanks for your input Debi di! The music you posted is beautiful! I loved listening to it! I love how it shows the diversity of Indian culture. Here is what I think the dances are as they are shown(going by the first link):
Rajasthani folk, Kathak, Odissi, Manipuri, Kathakali, Mohiniattam, Bharatanatyam, and Bharatanatyam again (or is that Kuchipudi?). Sorry I couldn't distinguish between the two, they are both very very similar. Asha or Janaki di might be able to tell you.

And di Kathak comes from North India and has very light movements of hands, light fast steps, and lots of sharp turns. You'll notice that they also dress in north indian fashion. And Bharatanatyam is from Tamil Nadu and it has very strong movements. You'll see that Bharatanatyam dancers mostly dance in Armandi, a position where our knees are bent and our legs form a diamond shape. Also, we have different types of dresses that kind of resemble some of the clothes of the narthakis in the mytho shows. It's a little bit like that. Sorry I couldn't come up with a better explanation.

Here's an example of Kathak

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCL-ge_N0k[/YOUTUBE]

And here's an example of Bharatanatyam by my most favorite dancer Harini Jeevitha.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prQOdTmF8u0[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by AishuJSKfan - 13 years ago
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Thank you so much for creating such an awesome thread Aishu, it is really a great and fitting addition to the forum πŸ‘ I loveeeee dance in general especially when it is used as an expression of bhakti, just as it was intended to be. Have thoroughly enjoyed all the info, interpretations, and vids everyone has shared thus far and look forward to many more... in fact how about we turn this into a super active thread where we regularly post any vids we find and like of devotional-themed dance performances, preferably classical... what say, guys?

There is tons of stuff on Kathak that I'd like to share here with regard to how intertwined it is supposed to be with bhakti, that's the form I've spent the longest time learning and watching so far so I'm most familiar with it. All that after midterms next week, for now I wanted to share this really nice vid on the mythological origin of dance which Aishu described on the first page, the way Sage Bharata conceived of the Natya Shastra upon inspiration from Nataraj himself... it's from a show that came on in the very early 90s at the same time as SK, it wasn't really a mytho show but instead a dance-centered fictional story that serves as a platform for Hema Malini to show the world what an awesome dancer she is... over and over and over again :P Anyways in spite of the show not being of a relevant genre overall, it did start with an extended mytho sequence in which, like I said, the origin of dance is depicted quite beautifully through a mix of Bharatnatyam and Kuchipudi performed by Hema as Parvati (and the uploader, a YT bud of mine, is positive that the actor playing Shivji was the same man who played Vishnu in the first episode of RS Ramayan). And oh yeah, the music - the very AWESOME music - is composed by none other than our Sagar productions staple Ravindra Jain! Enjoy:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnpqrq-GtgY[/YOUTUBE]
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@ Lola,  

Always Love to read your posts β­οΈ. You know, I never realised that originally, Music and Dance were  the expressions of Bhakti...So truly said Dear- 'as it was intended to be'.⭐️ Guess we all will enjoy the links/videos of all the Devotional dance performances.

And yes, I do remember about the show of Hema Malini, it was called 'Noopur', am I right? Just found this video of the title track of that show. But I'm not sure about it 😳, as I could not remember much details about the show. Just guessing 😳 that it must be that show which you referred to😊.

Enjoyed the video about the origin of Dance. And yes, this person, who played Shiva,  has a lot of resemblance with the Shri Hari in the 1st sc of Ramayan.

This content was originally posted by: AishuJSKfan

Wow, thanks for your input Debi di! The music you posted is beautiful! I loved listening to it! I love how it shows the diversity of Indian culture. Here is what I think the dances are as they are shown(going by the first link): 
Rajasthani folk, Kathak, Odissi, Manipuri, Kathakali, Mohiniattam, Bharatanatyam, and Bharatanatyam again (or is that Kuchipudi?). Sorry I couldn't distinguish between the two, they are both very very similar. Asha or Janaki di might be able to tell you. 

And di Kathak comes from North India and has very light movements of hands, light fast steps, and lots of sharp turns. You'll notice that they also dress in north indian fashion. And Bharatanatyam is from Tamil Nadu and it has very strong movements. You'll see that Bharatanatyam dancers mostly dance in Armandi, a position where our knees are bent and our legs form a diamond shape. Also, we have different types of dresses that kind of resemble some of the clothes of the narthakis in the mytho shows. It's a little bit like that. Sorry I couldn't come up with a better explanation. 

Aishu, Yes Dear, Diversity is shown in such an excellent way β­οΈ thr' all those videos by 'Lok  Seva Sanchar Parishad',  (guess, a Govt. Organisation) , which used to make all these kinds of Videos on India's 'Unity in Diversity' Concept... We had many of such videos...  And after that, 'Bharat Bala Productions' also made many such videos, mainly with A R Rahman. They are also very good.⭐️

Another point which I always realise is that Music, Dance, Literature-  all these have 'Universal Language'... Anyone can enjoy it, moreover, each person's Response to a particular Creation will be a Unique one. In this way,  all Creations are special! 
(Sorry πŸ˜³, If I have gone a bit too 'out of the way' from the main topic of this thread, but just thought to mention it here, as we are are discussing about 'Fine Arts'.)

Anyway, coming to the video- Oh, Thanks Dear πŸ˜Š, for the names of the various Dance Forms, perhaps, other members will be able to clarify about Bharatnatyam and Kuchipudi.

Hey, do watch the Complete version, when you have time later, the last part (6 to 9 min) is also very nice. 

And Thank You So Much Aishu, for the videos. Watched and Enjoyed both of them. β­οΈ Yes, I noticed the differences in the costume as well as the Dance steps. Now I got the idea about the basic differences between Kathak and Bharatnatyam. Your explanation was perfect Dear!! β­οΈ  I Loved to read the details. β­οΈ 

pakhara thumbnail

@Lola di, oh wow, I'm so glad you posted this video! I've watched this about a year ago when I was going through YT for some of Hema Malini's classical dance vids. I loved this one so much! I just hadn't seen the beginning part. Do you by any chance know who the singer is? I think it was the same voice as in SK's little songs, na? And yeah, we should totally make this thread active! I would so love to keep posting stuff about dance! I'm all about the classical dance here, lol.

@Debi di, Oh thanks for the info! I always love to watch such patriotic vids about india and love to see all those different dance forms and dresses. Love that about our nation! Will surely go to yt for those that you mentioned. And yes, all kinds of art are universal. God is universal and he is the one who created it all, na, so of course. And I'm so glad that my explanation helped! Gosh, I was worried I would sound foolish since I have no training at all in Kathak, but thanks for that. :D

pakhara thumbnail
Here's a video I found of a Bharatanatyam contest. Most of the dancers are from shridevi nrithyalay. My dream school. Too old to get into it now, well, maybe in another lifetime. But look at how good they are guys. I just love watching this.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDfQ-jd1Bq4&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]
Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you for sharing these great videos of Bharatnatyam.
I myself am learning Odissi and Kathak.
Kathak is on low profile now as my teacher teaches in another city and my days at college are longπŸ˜•
Odissi am learning for 5 years..its hard in beginning  but a very gracious form.
I think all indian classical dances are great.
In Netherlands : Bharatnatyam,Odissi,Kathak and Kuchipudi are taught.
I was looking for Sattriya also I think its a bit like kathak but then am not a professional so I cannot comment about it⭐️