Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Anjali* thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Hi debators !! since this subject is in the news these days .I thought why not make it the debate of the week !!😛
*Aparna*

Hi all,

Well recently it has been revealed that President Bush has authorized the use of "spying" on American citizens....basically the NSA (national security agency) can listen in to any phone calls and intercept any e-mail of anyone in the U.S. whom they suspect could be terrorists.  This can be done even w/o any real concrete proof against the person...and evidently it's been going on since 9/11...

many ppl are upset b/c they feel Bush is taking too much power and this is totally against our civil liberties...

what do u think?  Do u agree with Bush that this will make America safer from terrorism or do u think this is wrong and against the civil liberties of the U.S. citizens..?
Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
hazelgirl thumbnail
no idea... 😉 😉 but i think its bad
dare_dis_devil thumbnail
well, i dont think tat dis "spying" thing is gonna mke US a safer plc....

n yeah, dis obviously is a breach of privacy....
sowmyaa thumbnail
Well I think if it is to protect citizens from terrorism it is ok to spy.
However, we know that people are corrupted at all level and it could be sometime unsafe to give power to spy citizens without any proof. It could be sometime done to harrase someone out of their personal interest. I really don't like this idea of spying citizens as you feel. This certainly is breach of privacy and I think citizens should be able to live in their country and have their personal life. They should find some other option or spy on people after some proof. I don't think I would trust any officer..who knows they may be doing for their personal interest. I really don't trust people easily...Trust in God, But Lock Your Car kind of thing... 😉

nightangel thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sania_Hitler

50% rite and 50% rong

i agree with  Sania..

TiN24 thumbnail
Bush was, is and will always be a complete stupid idiot. If spying in on people's calls is his new tactful way of catching so called terrorists........then whatever happened to "the right of freedom, the right to freedom of speech, and all other rights"?????? How can you (as an american) citizen honestly say that you feel totally comfortable knowing that people are listening in on your phone calls? Don't you feel you are loosing your freedom of right to talk to whom ever you want?

And Bush....FYI.....how is spying in on phone calls gonna make is more safer for people and easier for you to catch terrorists? If the terrorists were smart enough to run 2 planes into the 2 towers without a hitch...don't you think they would be smart enough not to talk on the phone knowing your people are listening in????

I swear to God....who made him president? I don't live in America nor am I American....but from what I know and have seen....Bush is a total idiot and a mooron. Some people may agree with me, some may not...but this is totally my own opinion. 😃
mikagurl23 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: bgdesai

Well I think if it is to protect citizens from terrorism it is ok to spy.
However, we know that people are corrupted at all level and it could be sometime unsafe to give power to spy citizens without any proof. It could be sometime done to harrase someone out of their personal interest. I really don't like this idea of spying citizens as you feel. This certainly is breach of privacy and I think citizens should be able to live in their country and have their personal life. They should find some other option or spy on people after some proof. I don't think I would trust any officer..who knows they may be doing for their personal interest. I really don't trust people easily...Trust in God, But Lock Your Car kind of thing... 😉

i have the same view! 😊

Aparna_BD thumbnail
U.S throws a big fuss when 9/11 happens that the President did nothing to protect the security. And when Bush is working towards making the country a safe place , well then they fuss again too . Bush is not spying on you and me . The intelligence is spying on people who are making suspicious International calls and possibly have links to Al Quaida or other terrorist groups. If that would save my life and life of millions , i say absolutely !!

People in the U.S made a huge fuss when the security in the airport was tightened . I have come across people arguing with airport security authority when they have to remove jackets and shoes etc . What the heck , i rather they do this with every one .......INCLUDING ME !! And i would feel secure flying the skies !!!

For gods sakes , what will happen to your freedom when you will be blown to million pieces by a terrorist group .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad_cap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I don't think it is right to spy on anyone's privacy. US is in an economic doldrum, and Bush is trying to deviate the common people by creating an aura of terrorism in his country.
Laughable is his claim that it must be constitutional because he raised his hand and swore to uphold the Constitution. It is downright frightening that he thinks that his duties as president, as spelled out in the Constitution, allow him to Willy- Nilly disregard other provisions of the Constitution protecting civil liberties and personal freedoms that he believes might hinder him from conducting business as he sees fit.
Bob Barr, one of the most conservative Republican members of congress when he was on the hill, had this to say; "What's wrong with it is several-fold. One, it's bad policy for our government to be spying on American citizens through the National Security Agency. Secondly, it's bad to be spying on Americans without court oversight. And thirdly, it's bad to be spying on Americans apparently in violation of federal laws against doing it without a court order."
sowmyaa thumbnail
Yes, indygirl, Bush has earned lots of critics after 9/11, however, there are lots of people who have started liking him the way he took initiative handling terrorism. America before 9/11 was whole different country. I have seen people's attitude being changed after that. I personally think americans are very open minding and accept all culture easily. This country is based on diversity and due to their acceptance some evil people have taken advantage of their liberal policy, which is not accepted according to Bush.

Now I do give credit to Bush that since 9/11 there have not been terrorist atack on US. They may have not planned one, or Bush has increased security level to an extend that its hard for them to plan one. However, giving rights to officers to tape people's phone, look into their personal life is not somethign I would support. Trust me it is hard to go through those security check and see some old people going through it without any reason.

I was travelling with my then 9 month old kid. My daughter was sleeping in stroller they asked me to wake her up take off her shoes, her jacket, my shoes, my belt, my jacket and then walk through the security. Ok my daughter obviously was fussy with all this disturbance, then after 1 security level we came accross second security level where they asked me to open my diaper bag.. and then literally took off everything and i was so annoyed with crying baby, and tons of things to put back in bag ...shoes, jacket to put on.... etc etc. I also support the security but this was obnoxious. You see people with infants or 2 kids being checked and harrassed not only once checked thrice for same flight was something really hard. And as I said that not all officers are good enough or cooperative, some are just rac*** or may try to harrasse someone out of personal enmity. I know before 9/11 you were able to say good-bye to ur friend right till flight door. Very minimal security and you can go to receive someone till gate of the flight. It was awesome. Now, with 9/11 security are tighter and its not same anymore. Terrorist have really broken trust of these americans and which is really not good. I understand that security is good, but once they scan you they should be able to figure out who should be checked and who not. targeting certain group of people, is not fair.

If administration thinks that their system is good enough why not get an official warrant and then start spying on someone. Rather than wasting their money and troop building someone else's government they should probably spy and try to find out those networks. It's just my views that you can't spy on any citizen as you please without any official warrant. American law usually requires a secret court, known as Foreign Intelliegence Surveillance Court to give permission before intelligence officers can conduct surveillance on US soil and according to this new act by Bush adminsitration is both illigal and unconstitutional. I don't think any president should claim powers at the expense of civil liberties and looks like president wants to be above law which to me is not acceptable. Edited by bgdesai - 18 years ago