Mythological Masti

Ideas for Banner Contest - Please Help! - Page 4

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
Hey Guys,

Since it's been over a month (two months?) since our forum began, we feel it's time for a banner contest....even though the DT has not been chosen yet, the mods said it may take awhile, so why not have a banner contest to represent our forum?

What Lola, Aish, and I have been thinking was....we could have TWO actors from each of our favorite mythos on the banner....

The favorite mythos of our forum (in the order in which they were aired):

1. RS Ramayan
2. BRC Mahabharat
3. RS Shri Krishna
4. Dheeraj Kumar's Om Namah Shivaye
5. AS Ramayan
6. MS Jai Shri Krishna
7. Amrit Sagar's Meera

That already makes 14 pics for the banner, which is a tad bit hard but manageable. So...the next question we had was....

Which two actors from each show are included?

Each person has different fav actors from each show. For example, one member might like Ashok or Swapnil over SDB or vice versa from RS's SK, or Dhriti over Meghan or vice versa from JSK, etc...so how should we choose who is represented and who is not? Or even....some people might not even like the main leads but the other actors in the show.

So...should we make a rule that only the main characters from each show (like SitaRam, RadheKrishna, ShivaParvathi, etc) should be represented? If so, which actors of those characters, the older or younger? Should the banner represent only the older actors for each show?

Or....should we give people complete liberty and let them choose whichever two actors they want for the banner? If so, some people might end up disappointed with the winning banner if it does not have the actors they like.

Please give us your feedback so that one of us can open the banner contest, we are very confused.🤓

-Janu
Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I think it's a great idea to have a banner, but here's what I suggest:

In the banner, have any mytho character appear only once, since the forum is about the epics themselves, rather than just the serials based on them.  In other words, if a banner has  Gurmeet depicted as Rama, do not have Govil there (and vice versa)  Yeah, you could  have Gurmeet as Rama & Deepika as Sita, but not both Deepika & Debina.

So instead of listing characters by serial, here's what I'd suggest - a lineup of leading  deities in Hindu  mythology, taken from anywhere.  Here is one list that would be good:

Brahma, Saraswati, Vishnu, Lakshmi, Shiva, Sati, Parvati, Rama, Sita, Hanuman, Lakshman, Krishna, Balarama, Arjun, Bhima, and maybe some others.  If one wants to not include Lakshmi-Narayan since Rama, Sita, Krishna are there, then fine.

Oops, I've left out the asuras & rakshashas - how can we have the forum w/o them?  Suggestions - Rahu, Ketu, Ravan, Indrajit, Ghototkacha, Prahlad, Bali.  Oh, and how about the other devas - Indra, Surya-dev, Kama, Kubera, et al?

One more thing - Meera does not fall in Hindu mythology - it's a historical serial about saints, and she falls in the same category as Tulsidas, Ramadas, Ramakrishna, et al.  But please, the banner should have characters only out of Hindu mythology, but not include historical  devotional saints.  Yeah, we can have threads discussing them, but please, not in the banner.  For those who ain't believers, it will convey the impression that like the  others, she too was an imaginary, rather than a historical character.
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Quoting from Lola's thread of rules:

"About the Forum

The intention of this forum is to provide members a place to discuss Indian mythology (or that of other civilizations), philosophy, and spirituality in general, with the mythological serials that have been an important part of the Indian Television landscape for almost three decades as our point of departure."

I think or at least what I personally interpreted when I joined is that the forum is mainly of the Mythological TV shows to begin with the intention of keeping the scope of discussion broad with all discussions of epics, mythos, historical saints/devotees and also mythological movies & movie or other album bhajans and devotion in general to exchange knowledge gained through these serials and exchanging the message grabbed and to discuss how these serials portray the actual sources and which sources and in this way to take each other to the height of spirituality/devotion. Any contents of Hinduism or spirituality in general are within the scope of the forum which is the forum of mythological serials. Am I wrong? And that was I guess the knowledge of all members while joining that the members would be those who watch one or some of these TV shows. There were also talks about creating threads with the titles specifying the serial name if the intention of the thread starter was to discuss only that particular serial events and characterization. The epic references can be given in any thread to authenticate what is shown in the serial. One can go from bottom to top by starting any topic serial based and carrying it to the spiritual heights of Vedas, Purans and Epics. One can't go from top to bottom by starting a thread epic based and leading it down towards serial dialogs. Serial dialogs can be freely quoted to express our point - to explain what we mean to say. For authenticating, sources are always there to be posted within any thread. One should have maximum liberty to express what is there in one's mind here in this forum instead of any restrictions of source. One can't do MASTI with epics and characters but can do with serials and actors.

Now what is my take here is that we can have 1 or 2 famous characters (acceptable to majority here) of each serial with no character repeated on the banner. Just to illustrate for example, Hanumanji and/or Lakshman or Ravan or Bharat from RS Ramayan, Ram-Sita from AS Ramayan, Krishna or Arjun or Bhishma or Duryodhan from BRC MB, Radha-Krishna (Golok - despite relatively less general acceptability of actors but because of importance of place or sitting posture and spiritual importance of messages delivered) or Vasudev-Devaki from RS SK, Nand-Yashoda from MS JSK (If not from SK), Shiv-Parvati from ONS such that all serials are covered to satisfy all members and most of the major characters are covered. And it's fine if we have taken Lakshman and VasuDevaki and can't include Balram-Dashrath-Kaushalya I think. Personally I won't have any problem with any kind of banner. I will be indifferent because I know and understand that it can't have all faces of RS shows only 😆 and also personally I also am indifferent about actors and essence should be of characters of epics and mythos and hence also with the suggestion of the above post of Vrish. So above list of mine was just illustrative about the idea and to solve this OR problem systematically to satisfy maximum member as possible, assignment method can be used. Rows of characters, columns of serials and cell numbers will be the members voting.😆 Then elimination of rows and columns for best assignment.😃 J/k because it will require 6 polls to be created 😆 so it has to be subjective rather than objective. Janaki's decision should be accepted by all members I think eventually and nobody should mind IMO after giving suggestions because she is the one who has been sincerely leading these forums and organizing them with selflessness and also taking utmost care of members' feelings. If one is showing such care for others' emotions and feelings and normal choices, others also have the duty to return the same care by not getting hurt by anything.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
...PARiNA... thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I quite agree with Shivang. Meera was a saint but we cant keep it away from Mytho's .... myth was there.

yyes y  dont we make a banner based on GOD pics instead .. i agree we are here discussing  about  Mythoshows .. but actually we are discussing about GOD and inculcating those values its just that our Mythos Shows are part of it.  + our forum name is Mythological Masti not Shows 😉

i mean if we hv to add Krishna pic there are so many actors who played Krishna role Meghan, Swapnil, SDB, Dhriti, Nitish ..... whom to add / ignore ? better to use Krishna pic instead of the person/actor who did that role. 

i agree as there are so many Hindu God too so as our actors of Mytho shows .... there we can add all common Ganesha, Gauri Shanakar , Siya Ram , Radhe Krihna , Lakshmi Vishnu pics as we are discussion about them only here

i think it would be more comfortable ... and there will be nothing like fav actor
/actress

Edited by ...PARiNA... - 13 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

@Vrish,

This forum was created mainly for discussion of mythological shows, because there was never a forum for the old mytho shows while the new ones had their own separate forums, so the mod created on evergreen forum for all mytho shows old and new, but I get what you and Parina mean. God pics would be better instead of nitpicking actors from certain shows.

Also, even though Meera was a saint, not many accept her as a historical figure because too many miracles happened in her life that atheists could not explain away. So she is kind of placed in the middle of historical and mythological, because while she was a saint of the relatively modern age, there were many mythological aspects of her life to categorize her as completely historical.

@Shivang,

I also like your idea of picking certain characters from each show, since you are 100% right that characters are more important than the actors that all the important ones should be represented.....let's see what others think.😊
Vr15h thumbnail
PARiNA

I agree w/ your suggestion as well - I'm somewhat ambivalent re: whether one uses the standard images out there of Ram-ji, Shiv-ji, Durga-mata, et al, or picks their depictions from different serials.  My only point - and Shivang seems to be w/ it - is not to duplicate any one mythological character.  As long as that happens, I'm happy.

Janu

I know that this board is there to cover shows, and I'm fine w/ that - whether it's older ones from RS, or more recent ones.  For a banner, like I said above, I'm fine w/ either 'original' god pics or snippets from the various shows.  I just don't want 4 Hanumans, 5 Krishnas, et al, when it's about a whole range  of deities.

I know what you mean re: Meera, but regardless of  whether the miracles that are believed about her happened or not, she is not a mythological character.  I mean, people who are athiest may doubt whether any of the characters mentioned above exist, but there was never that question about Meera.  She belongs in the same genre as figures like Buddha, Mahavira, Ramakrishna, et al.  If somebody wanted to discuss Sai Baba or other godmen, they could, but those wouldn't qualify as mythological figures either, since their existance is not in question.  Note that  mythological doesn't mean saintly: it implies characters in the Hindu pantheon whose existance depends on one's faith - sort of like Greek or Norse gods, such as Zeus or Thor.

Of course, in the topics, one could discuss Meera & all that.  But please, don't put her there alongside Rama, Shiva, Sita, Krishna and all of them.

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: _Vrish_

Janu

I know that this board is there to cover shows, and I'm fine w/ that - whether it's older ones from RS, or more recent ones.  For a banner, like I said above, I'm fine w/ either 'original' god pics or snippets from the various shows.  I just don't want 4 Hanumans, 5 Krishnas, et al, when it's about a whole range  of deities.

I know what you mean re: Meera, but regardless of  whether the miracles that are believed about her happened or not, she is not a mythological character.  I mean, people who are athiest may doubt whether any of the characters mentioned above exist, but there was never that question about Meera.  She belongs in the same genre as figures like Buddha, Mahavira, Ramakrishna, et al.  If somebody wanted to discuss Sai Baba or other godmen, they could, but those wouldn't qualify as mythological figures either, since their existance is not in question.  Note that  mythological doesn't mean saintly: it implies characters in the Hindu pantheon whose existance depends on one's faith - sort of like Greek or Norse gods, such as Zeus or Thor.

Of course, in the topics, one could discuss Meera & all that.  But please, don't put her there alongside Rama, Shiva, Sita, Krishna and all of them.

Yeah, I agree about not dublicating 4 rams or 4 shyams, we should give importance to other characters as well.....maybe we can create a poll asking people if they want God pics or serial pics, and then we'll go from there.

Yeah, I understand about Meera too, guess she too is like Sai Baba, but there are a lot of Meera fans in this forum who may be offended if she's not represented in the banner, so that's why I'm dubious about leaving her out.....🤔
Vishakha_Sakhi thumbnail
Wow what a decision to make!  I also think firstly we should have a poll to decide whether we want pics of the Gods or pics from the shows, and then take it from there.
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
@Janu

Well I think if we call this forum to be a forum of discussion about God, I don't think any member should be that passionate about actors to get offended that you have to worry (with reference to your apology about SDB in the diary thread/BRC MB PP/RS PP). If one gets offended by innocent devotee family members over here due to an actor excluded, then it is not at all your matter of worry IMO. That's his/her problem. One should take utmost care that one's feelings about any form of God and God's devotees or a particular source of devotion is not offended and not petty things like actors I think. But anyway that's the rule in this forum to maintain proper atmosphere and decency of the forum. And what you here mean is not the offense felt by someone because of an actor excluded but because of a devotee historical character and a mytho/historical serial excluded. Your concern is very very appropriate but then again here also two things are there to save you from that worry: 

(1) Meera comes in the category of Tulasidas & all and not Lakshman-Bharat-Hanuman. We are even going to exclude Vibhishan I guess and unfortunately there is no serial (or not many) made on Tulasidas and other Kaliyug saints and devotees. Now only Meera in between mytho characters - how odd it would look that anyone can understand despite knowing fully well that Meera is perfectly within the discussion scope of this forum. I myself is a big big fan of Meerabai. 

(2) If the fans of Meera are not the fans exclusively of that serial but other serials also, then there is no reason for being offended because you are anyway including the faces of their other favourite serials. If there is even a single member in the forum who is exclusive fan of that serial only, then I am with you. Your concern/worry about her/him is fully justified.

And yes. Just for Krishna - only for Krishna as an exception not for any other God or character - I think it is fine & appropriate and generally acceptable & understandable that there are 2 or 3 pictures of him of different stages of life. One Makhanchor (Dhriti for example), one with Radha (Swapnil or SDB) and one delivering Geeta or with Sudarshan (Nitishji) is fine if the banner can accommodate all 3 of them with many other pictures. For Krishna I think, the general rule is not required to be maintained. For rest 3 Hanuman, 2 Ram etc - I agree with your and Vrish's points.

@Vrish

Yes. I was there with your suggestion almost completely as you must have read and noticed. Just clarified or expressed in general to all what is my thinking about the scope of discussion in this forum just to avoid any possible misunderstanding not necessarily of you but also of myself or any future member.

@Parina

Yes the idea of only God's pictures like Bhakti Lounge - not of actors - also came to my mind but I didn't mention thinking that it might create misunderstanding to new members to believe that discussing about serials is the secondary and inferior activity in this forum and one can become unnecessarily restricted and controlled while quoting anything from the serials in the threads which are not having serial based title. In fact, I suggested to include the word SHOWS in the name of the forum but then I liked without it also because of the wide scope of our discussions.

@all

And poll idea is very good BTW.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail

(1) Meera comes in the category of Tulasidas & all and not Lakshman-Bharat-Hanuman. We are even going to exclude Vibhishan I guess

Shivang

Not to quibble, but Vibhishan is very much a character in the epics, and belongs right there w/ Prahlad, Bali, Ghatotkacha, Hanuman, et al.  He certainly doesn't belong w/ Meera, Tulsidas, Ramdas, et al

The only human beings who'd belong there would be people mentioned in the scriptures, such as mythological rulers (Ikshvaku, Raghu, Yayati, Harishchandra, Dushyant, Dhruva, Trishanku et al) and rishis (Vishwamitra, Vashistha, Kanva, Durvasha, Kashyap, et al)  Certainly not anybody who is described in medeaval history, or even in the post Indus-Valley  era.

Other than that, you're right