Maa Exchange

~Article Archives~No Comments

.Tanya. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago

'There is no winner in Maa Exchange' - Ajit Thakur

'There is no winner in Maa Exchange' - Ajit Thakur

Ajit Thakur, EVP and Business Head of Sony TV speaks about the new show Maa Exchange

Sony TV is all set to take off with yet another novel reality show Maa Exchange which is an adaption of the American reality show Wife Swap.

Tellybuzz had a chat with Ajit Thakur, EVP and Business Head, Sony Entertainment Television about the concept which can raise an eyebrow or two amongst the Indian audience..

Excerpts!!!

What was the main reason that prompted the channel to take up a concept like Maa Exchange?
It is always a known fact that women are the real home makers of the family but at times, it is not realized. To bring that into limelight, we thought this show would be a good medium and also this will be one show which will be all in all 'Real'.

What are the changes you have brought in to make it suitable for Indian audience?
We know what the Indian audience wants to see, and the show is produced keeping in mind the Indian values and customs. The show is produced in a way that the entire family can watch it together. 

What is the USP of the show?
The promos have shown only a part of what will happen in the show and once the show will go on air, it will drag the audience towards watching the show.

Since the promos are already on air, how is the response from public?
I have not received the updates yet, but there have not been any negative response as of now.

Don't you think it is a bold concept for Indian audience?
I do not think it is a bold concept but it is a unique one that we are putting up; a whole family can view it without any hesitation. Above all, Sony till date has given shows that are family oriented like Kaun Banega Crorepati, Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa etc.  

What about the contestants' list?
As people have seen the promos, the initial episodes will see Pooja Bedi being swapped with Anuradha Nigam and also there are two common mothers Zehra, who is a business woman and Antima who is a housewife whose shoot is over. In the coming episodes there is a family from Nainital which will be swapped with a family in Mumbai and also people will see Apara Mehta and Sudesh Berry's wife being swapped.  

On what basis have you selected the contestants?
We have tried to bring in people who are from different backgrounds and cultural diversities who live their life in a completely different way.

You have swapped mothers of two families who are from different financial backgrounds; don't you think that it will create a barrier?
Our intention is not to bring out the financial differences of the families and I personally feel that once a mother enters the house, those differences hardly matter. We are also bringing two families which are financially sound but culturally different. For example we are swapping mothers from two families, wherein the first family believes in starting the day with Yoga and living the life in a healthy manner and the other family who believes in living life to the fullest with fun and masti.

You have added Pooja Bedi to show; is she the face of the show?
We decided to take Pooja because she is a single working mother and she was very keen when we approached her. After her shoot she said that the bonding she saw between Rajeev Nigam and his son Yash was really touching which is not there in her family.  There are no celebrities when you enter the show as all are put into similar challenging situations.

With this show don't you think that the children are put into a traumatizing situation?
As far as young children are concerned, they liked their 'new mother' and it is the elder ones who are having problems as they have reached the phase of complex mindset.

What are you trying to achieve from the show; will there be any winners?
There is no winner in the show because that will kill the purpose of the show. We are just trying to portray the different situations the mothers undergo and the final learning experience that everyone gets who are involved in the show

How will you describe the show in one word?
Genuine

Reporter and Author: Saranya Valsarajan

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Tanya. thumbnail

The drama in Maa exchange, a glimpse

The drama in Maa exchange, a glimpse

Tellybuzz gives a sneak peek into the argument of Pooja Bedi and Anuradha Nigam at the press conference of Sony TV's Maa Exchange

Maa Echange has already started setting sparks on the screen with the promos already on air. In the first episode people will get to seePooja Bedi and Anuradha Nigam (Rajeev Nigam's wife) being swapped.  Both of them carried out their tasks very well but what do they have to say about their experience? Here is a glimpse of the argument that was seen in the press conference of the show.

Pooja says "When I entered the house, it was all a mess with utensils unwashed from which worms have been popping out and clothes in the cupboard unset. I did all the work myself and felt that the environment which they live in is unhygienic."

It is definite that a woman will not bear when another woman complains about the way she handles the house and Anuradha retorts "Well, if they are speaking of hygiene, then she should be careful about her children when they eat with the same hand with which they feed their pet dog."

Pooja points again "After Anuradha Ji's entry in the house, there was not even a day that my kids and my maids did not have problems with Anuradha Ji. She stopped the tuitions and the classes of my kids and doubted on the upbringing of my kids for which my kids reacted aggressively. She behaved very rudely to my kids and my maids and made them cry."

Anuradha replies "Since I am from a middle class family even I had problems in adjusting with the lifestyle of theirs. I am not raised nor do I raise my child in a situation where kids are given a menu for breakfast and lives plastic life.'

Well, let us see what the things they enjoyed in the house are.

Pooja Bedi says "I loved the father son relation between Rajeev and Yash as I do not get to see that at my house and when I left the house, I had promised Yash that I would gift him something and I did after the show was over. Also Rajeev arranged a candle light dinner for me which I felt was really sweet of him to do like that for me."

Anuradha shares "The house was really pretty and there were a lot of paintings that I loved. Since Pooja's daughter also paints well, I put a painting of hers in the house as an encouragement for her."

After all what happened Rajeev commented that there is no difference between Rakhi Sawant and Pooja Bedi to which the actress sportily answered "Rajeev is a comedian and he always has the light aspect in his talks".

This was just a coup d'oeil of what happened in an open discussion with the press. There are more to watch on the tantrums thrown and the hammering of the mothers after they are swapped.

For that you will have to tune into Sony TV on January 12 at 9pm. 

.Tanya. thumbnail

Let's swap moms!

Lots of drama on new reality show set to take off tonight

Roshni K Olivera I TNN 

Forget song and dance, reality show now getting more personal. Maa Exchange, a new show on Sony Entertainment Television, starting tonight at 9 and every Wednesday a Thursday thereafter, will see two housewives from disparate socio-ec nomic backgrounds and cultural mindsets being swapped and made to run each other's households for a week, setting their own rules and managing the family members. 
    The celebs, who've participated in this show, have had quite an experience! Says celebrity mother Pooja Bedi, who was swapped with comedian Rajiv Nigam's wife Anuradha, "It was a learning experience in what to do and what not t do. It was the biggest shock to me a was fighting for her rights as a woman at her house with Rajiv, her she was fighting against me. Despit her digs at me, I am proud at the wa my children handled themselves wi courtesy and politeness." Rajiv Nig did have skirmishes with Pooja, bu would be all right by evening. Rega his wife Anuradha, he has a differe as he reveals, "My wife had a bad e ence and felt Pooja is fake. Her dau was well-trained to act in this show 
    TV actor Sudesh Berry's wife 
exchanged places with actress Apa Mehta and for them it was a pleasa experience. "Though my 22-year-old felt a bit awkward in the beginning, rest of my family jelled with Apara," says Sudesh. This show challenges the basic belief that each woman is the best homemaker and makes her question her indispensability in her home situation. Talking about the show, Ajit Thakur, EVP and Business Head, Sony Entertainment Television, said, "We expect this show to become a harbinger of societal change. It will be a vehicle of discovery and learning through a unique experience never before seen on Indian television for every member of the family. Maa Exchange, an adaptation of the internationally acclaimed Wife Swap, is very relevant for Indian society where the woman (and a mother) is at the heart of the family and often does not get the recognition which is due to her. Through the show we are hoping to offer our viewers high quality, engaging content which will make them think."

.Tanya. thumbnail

'I would not be able to handle tension as a contestant' -Surekha Sikri

'I would not be able to handle tension as a contestant' -Surekha Sikri

Tellybuzz chats with Surekha Sikri, the Sutradhar of Sony's new reality show, Maa Exchange that kick-starts tonight at 9 PM..

We know Surekha Sikri as the strict and the hard-hearted Dadisa in Balika Vadhu, but now the talented actress will be seen in a different avatar, that of a host in Sony Entertainment Television's new reality show Maa Exchange.  The show launches tonight, on January 12th and will be aired every Wednesday and Thursday at the 9 PM slot..

Tellybuzz had a chat with Surekha Sikri, the 'Sutradhar' of the show, on the way she perceives her new role, about the show and much more..

Excerpts!!!

This is the first time you are hosting a show, how is the experience?
It is a great experience hosting a show like this and I am enjoying my role as an anchor.

What made you choose a show like this?
The show is completely genuine and real, and I think this is the first time that in a show mothers are swapped and put in real situations wherein they have to look after a house as theirs, which in real is not.  And also the show gave me a chance to speak my heart, so whom you see in this show will be the real me. 

What is your role in the show?
I am just the moderator of the show normally called as the 'suthradhar' and will not have any direct involvement in the scenes. I will appear in between the scenes and will comment on the situations in the show.

Do you think Indian viewers are ready for such a show?
Yes of course because Indian viewers are interested in such concepts and I really feel that they are going to enjoy this show. 

If you were not the host and was approached as a participant, would you have accepted this?
If this show was offered to me as a contestant, I would never have accepted it because I do not think that I would be able to handle the situation. After seeing the promos, I would say, hats-off to all the mothers who have agreed to do the show.   

Personally how do you take this concept as you come from the old school of thoughts?
I feel the show has an interesting concept and this programme will show people, the various situations through which a mother goes thro'. It will also be seen how a mother handles a house and how she wants her house to be. 

People saw you as the strict Dadisa and they do love you in that role; do you think that this show might harm that?
No, I don't think so because that is a different character that I am playing and here in this show I will be what I am.

What do you think people will gain from this show?
The different situations in a house and the way each mothers handle it, can teach a new routine which people might not have even thought of. Since people are so busy in their daily routine they might not have given a thought to add on or change a part of their daily activities. This show can provide an insight into that. 

There are three stages in the show; what are you expecting in the phase where both the families are face to face for a discussion? Will you be present as the moderator?
In the third phase the two families will have an open discussion where they will pour out their grievances and what they felt in the respective homes. I will not be personally present in the discussion because then it might lose the spontaneity and the natural talk that it is supposed to have.   

What would you like to say to the audience?
I would like to request everyone to watch the show as it is sure to be an entertainer and interesting to watch. The show has inputs which are sure to excite everyone.  

.Tanya. thumbnail
Pooja Bedi is fake: Rajiv Nigam

Pooja Bedi with her children More Pics
Forget song and dance, reality shows are now getting more personal. 

Maa Exchange, a new show on Sony Entertainment Television, will see two housewives from disparate socio-economic backgrounds and cultural mindsets being swapped and made to run each other's households for a week, setting their own rules and managing the family members. 

The celebs, who've participated in this show, have had quite an experience! Says celebrity mother Pooja Bedi, who was swapped with comedian Rajiv Nigam's wife Anuradha, "It was a learning experience in what to do and what not to do. It was the biggest shock to me as I was fighting for her rights as a woman at her house with Rajiv, here she was fighting against me. Despite her digs at me, I am proud at the way my children handled themselves with courtesy and politeness." Rajiv Nigam did have skirmishes with Pooja, but they would be all right by evening. Regarding his wife Anuradha, he has a different take, as he reveals, "My wife had a bad experience and felt Pooja is fake. Her daughter was well-trained to act in this show." 

TV actor Sudesh Berry's wife exchanged places with actress Apara Mehta and for them it was a pleasant experience. "Though my 22-year-old son felt a bit awkward in the beginning, the rest of my family jelled with Apara," says Sudesh. This show challenges the basic belief that each woman is the best homemaker and makes her question her indispensability in her home situation. 

Talking about the show, Ajit Thakur, EVP and Business Head, Sony Entertainment Television, said, "We expect this show to become a harbinger of societal change. It will be a vehicle of discovery and learning through a unique experience never before seen on Indian television for every member of the family. Maa Exchange, an adaptation of the internationally acclaimed Wife Swap, is very relevant for Indian society where the woman (and a mother) is at the heart of the family and often does not get the recognition, which is due to her. Through the show we are hoping to offer our viewers high quality, engaging content which will make them think." 

.Tanya. thumbnail

Juhi Parmar and Gauri Tonk face the challenge in Maa Exchange..

Juhi Parmar and Gauri Tonk face the challenge in Maa Exchange..

Juhi Parmar and Gauri Tonk in a candid chat with Telly Buzz about their experiences being in Sony TV's Maa Exchange...

The new promos of Sony's Maa Exchange for a change seems to be cool, with no major arguments or bad mouthing happening.. It looks as though the two celebrity wives Juhi ParmarShroff and Gauri Tonk had a spendid time in their new homes.. 

Surprised? Have a fun read!!!

How has the whole experience been in Maa Exhange?
Gauri: The experience has been nice, and I learned to be patient in situations where you are away from family, that too when you are emotionally under stress. I am a complete family person and this is the first time in my thirty years that I am being away from my family, completely cut off without even talking to them. Even though there had been problems initially, everything went well later.

Juhi: The experience was nice and challenging because you are in a different place with different people.

You have already done Pati Patni Aur Woh where you had a similar experience of taking care of kids; how was the atmosphere different here?
Juhi: Pati Patni Aur Woh was a completely different show. In that show the kid entered in the family and we had to take care of the child, and as the show moved kids of varying ages were brought in. And I had to take care of the kid along with Sachin. But here I had to take care of the family and the kid all by myself. And there is no family support for me here. Pati Patni Aur Woh was all about the child whereas Maa Exchange is about the family. This show tells us what happens to the house when the house maker goes out of the family.

What were your expectations from the show?
Gauri: When the show was offered to me, first I asked Pari whether she would be fine with it. When she nodded for the show I asked aayi and Yash and they both were cool with it. But then I did not know whose house I was sent to. I came to know of it, only when I entered the house. Then when I realized that it was Juhi's house, the first thought that crossed my mind was she was not a mother yet. But then when I saw soft toys in one of the rooms, I thought there must be a kid in the house. But then later I came to know that there was Juhi's sister in the house.

Juhi: When the offer came to me, even I was shocked and asked them why me, because I am not yet a mother . But then they explained the concept and told me that thro' us, they will show the motherhood of both the contestants. For example, they wanted me to react in the same way in which I would do, when I become a mother in future. Likewise how Gauri would take care of her daughter when she grows up because Heena is like my daughter.  As far as the expectations are concerned, I went with a neutral state of mind and I did not know Gauri and Yash personally.

How is your relation now?
Juhi: we have a great cordial relation with each other now and recently after the show she called me up and wished me for my anniversary. And I think we became winners as we had a very cordial relation off camera as well.

How was it managing Gauri's kid?
Juhi: Pari is the most wonderful and well behaved girl and she is a great kid. Her naani used to pack her bags for school for which I asked her to do herself because I explained that since she is a grown up girl now, she should do it by herself, like keeping the books and taking care of the timetable etc. These are small responsibilities which makes a difference.

Now that you have experience in nurturing kids, when are you planning to move into a family?
This is one question that I confront always now, but I would like to make it clear that I have no plans at the moment because now we are in a state where Sachin and I take care of each other.

How easy or tough was it for each of you to decide because Gauri was going to spend more time with Sachin and Yash was going to spend more time with Juhi?
Gauri: We have been together since ten years including the years we were seeing each other and its been eight years since we are married, and the trust is very strong. If it was a newly married couple then the matter would have been different(laughs).

Juhi: We have a chill out family there and the family did not have any issues in taking up the show including me. And also we do all the work together.

What were the matters you discussed in the face off round?
Gauri: In the face off session, I just pointed out the need to bring in a routine in their  family, because if they are planning to have a baby, they will have to start their preparation now. Since I have the experience of being a home maker myself, I could explain it to them. Even though they know that they can take care of the child, there have to be some preparations in the beginning.

Juhi: Actually in face off session, the discussion went off to some other level because it ended up in a different way from where we had actually started off.

What were the issues that people could not adjust with?
Gauri: They had a little problem with the routine that I had set up because they were not used to it. Heena initially had problems and she fell ill too. So I was a bit concerned about her because if she is not comfortable with it then I cannot force her being a sister. But then later on we both got along very well, and I asked her to do Hip Hop classes and painting too for which she had initially said no. I also asked Sachin to try painting which he also did finally. And they both were really great and made good paintings as well.

Juhi: I got really positive vibes from the family and I encouraged Yash to do more of comedy because he really has the comic sense in him. I also made him promise to perform in Comedy Circus once. He also paints very well for which I asked him to have an exhibition of his works. 

What have you learnt from the show?
Gauri: I was really scared of dogs, but now I do not have a problem because there is a pet dog in Juhi's house. And now when I go to my friend's place I do not ask people to close their pet dogs in a different room.

Tanaz, Dina war in Maa Exchange 

Tanaz Irani and Dina, Vindoo Dara Singh's Russian wife will feature in Maa Exchange on Sony tonight. The two will spend a week in each other's home. 

Talking about her experience on the show Tanaz says, "This show made me realize that I am a good homemaker. When you live in someone else's house, you realize how good you are at managing your own home. People usually think that just because we are celebrities, we won't be aware of the vegetable prices but I am happy to prove them wrong through this show."

Speaking about what she missed about her own home, the actress elaborates, "I missed the warmth of my home. Bakhtiyar and I take decisions together. However, in Vindoo's house everyone is very money minded. They follow the rule of 'paisa pheko tamasha dekho'. He does not even know what is happening in the house. On the first day, we ordered pizza but hardly ate it and it got wasted." Tanaz also reveals that she is shocked by the way Vindoo and Dina are bringing up their daughter. She states, "Their daughter does not know anything about Indian culture. They do not even have a temple or a photo of any God in their house. She only watches Russian CD's and eats Russian food. During the face off, when Dina found out that their daughter suffered from stomach ache, she scolded me for serving her Indian food. Even though Vindoo was present, he didn't stand up for me." Another complaint Tanaz has is that the child does not know anything about her grandfather Dara Singh, who is a great wrestler and actor.

Dina too speaks about her experiences with us and this too is not a pleasant one either. Dina says, "I enjoyed working with UTV but my experience with Bakhtiyar was horrible. I missed my husband and daughter, who are very loving. I also missed my bed because in Bakhtiyar's house, I had to sleep on their child Zeus's bed."

Elaborating about the adjustments she had to make, Dina says "I had many problems because Bakhtiyar is not the kind of person I would like to spend even a minute with. I had to bear his aggressiveness and foul language because of this show. However, Zeus was very sweet and he was the only person who kept me going. I took Zeus to the park and both of us had a wonderful time. That is my best memory from the Maa Exchange experience."

Catch Tanaz and Dina's journey on Maa Exchange tonight.