Is JSK's Keshniji Real??

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 13 years ago
hiiii friends, actually, I have a doubt.😊 Yesterday my grandma was reading me an excerpy from Bhagwat Puraan, on the marriage of Kans to Jarasandh's two daughters, Asti and Prapti, but it never mentioned someone called Keshni.πŸ˜• I only watched a few epis of JSK when it was in the beginning of the show, and it showed Kans's wife as being only Keshni Devi, a devotee of KRishna. I was wondering whether any other version describes Keshni Devi?

I know Bhagwaat Puraan or Brahm Vaivart puraan describes only Asti and Prapti, the evil queens of Mathura who were the daughters of Jarasandh.

Am interesting to know about the version which has Keshni Devi being the wife of Kans. If someone knows, plsss tell me.😊
yes it was discussed  in JSK forum
dont know y they used name Kesni .. may be another name of Asti or PraptiπŸ˜‰
Good question Mina - no idea why they decided to combine Asti and Prapti, turn them good, and call them Keshni... in other words, she's a fictional character πŸ˜† Similarly they Kans's mom Padmavati was renamed Nandini for some reason. The name Keshni does exist elswehere in Hindu lore, though - remember Maharaj Sagar, Shri Ram's ancestor whose sons accused Maharishi Kapil of stealing their Ashwamedh horse and for whose redemption Ganga Maa came to the earth? Keshni was his first wife.

Originally posted by lola610

Maharaj Sagar, Shri Ram's ancestor whose sons accused Maharishi Kapil of stealing their Ashwamedh horse and for whose redemption Ganga Maa came to the earth? Keshni was his first wife.

True, that the only Keshni I've ever read of. Sometimes her name is spelt 'Kesini'. She is the daughter of the King of Vidarbha, wife of Sagara and mother of Asamanja.

I too only heard of King Sagar's wife Keshni (the other being Sumati)...I haven't heard of any other Keshni in Hindu Puranas. My thinking is that JSK probably combined Asti and Prapti for some reason and named the new character Keshni....either that or the character Keshni really does exist in some other version of Krishna Leela.

I remember long back when new Ramayan was airing, we discussed all the different versions of Ramayan in the Ramayan Forum to pinpoint where all the strange new stories came from that were not in either Valmiki Ramayan, Ramcharitmanas, Adhyatma Ramayan, or any other famous Ramayan. I remember RF member Khalrika told us a lot about so many different versions of Ramayan that she owns at home, and that many of the stories new Ramayan showed were not made up by the Sagars, but taken from those Ramayans which are not that popular but do exist in different tribes and regions in India.

So perhaps the character of Keshni does exist in an unpopular but still existent Krishna Leela source somewhere in India. Though Asti and Prapti are described in detail in Bhagwatham and a lot of other popular Shri Krishna sources, and are accepted by scholars as the two wives of Kamsa, we do not know exactly what sources Sagars used for JSK.

I too did not see the earliest episodes of JSK (only started when Dhriti entered the serial), so I do not know whether Sagars showed Keshni as the daughter of Jarasandh, but if they did not...perhaps Keshni was the 3rd wife of Kans or something? I find it hard to believe that someone like Kans would stop at two wives...he probably had a ton more like Ravan and even a great number of concubines, so perhaps Keshni was one of them.
^^ The show actually does tell us she's Jarasandh's daughter, and they even have her call him to Mathura to give Kans pep-talks as and when necessary (like during the Durvasa visit, remember). And after Kans's death she does fulfill the role that Asti and Prapti did in the sources which mention them, i.e. instigating Jarasandh to fight Krishna for her revenge. There is a slim chance of either of the girls being named Keshni in some other source, because  one of the Puraans (I don't remember whether its Bhaagvatam or the Padma Puraan, will have to check) call Kaikasi (Ravan's mom) Keshni in their summaries of Ram Avtaar.
^ I see, in that case Keshni was probably a character who was supposed to be a combo of Asti and Prapti. Either that or some source has either of the girls also called Keshni.
Originally posted by lola610

^^ The show actually does tell us she's Jarasandh's daughter, and they even have her call him to Mathura to give Kans pep-talks as and when necessary (like during the Durvasa visit, remember). And after Kans's death she does fulfill the role that Asti and Prapti did in the sources which mention them, i.e. instigating Jarasandh to fight Krishna for her revenge. There is a slim chance of either of the girls being named Keshni in some other source, because  one of the Puraans (I don't remember whether its Bhaagvatam or the Padma Puraan, will have to check) call Kaikasi (Ravan's mom) Keshni in their summaries of Ram Avtaar.
Kaikasi being called Keshni that I know but I think what Sagars shown in JSK is wrong. He had two wives for sure and none of them is called Keshni. My other friends checked it and till now they havent find Keshni as the wife of Kansa. I dont want to offend anyone but lots of sequences in JSK are fictional/false for e.g. Radha-Krishna marriage and Yashodaji taking Shri Krishna out of Gokul to keep him with her.😳
Aradhana deviiiiiiii πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€— Where've you been yaar?? Miss youuuuuu πŸ˜­

Anyways pretty much agree with you except for RadheShyam wedding, that happens in Brahma vaivart puraan (janma khand, adhyay 15 if I remember correctly) and Garg Samhita. They describe it as a celestial ceremony which was presided over by Brahma. Not exactly as shown in JSK, but such an event did take place in some sources. However... can't say the same about the the hunter episodes, Kaali maina, and especially the whole Yashoda kidnapping him thing πŸ˜³