Frequent Posters

Anastacia thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 18 years ago
Originally posted by: Malashetty

Madhavan's crisis shoot
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   December 17, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Madhavan in Deal Ya No Deal
Actor-anchor R Madhavan shot for the Sony game show Deal Ya No Deal under the most trying times on Wednesday. A day earlier, his paternal grandfather passed away.

He had to immediately leave for his hometown, Chennai. On Wednesday morning, after the cremation, he flew back to Mumbai for the shoot.

The Deal Ya Na Deal shoot could not be cancelled as the shoot was for a special episode with several celebrities. At the last-minute the channel could not call it off as the guest stars had blocked the dates for the shoot.

When asked about the bereavement, a grieving Madhavan said, "My grandfather passed away on Tuesday. I flew back to Mumbai for the shoot after the cremation on Wednesday morning in Chennai. I would not like to face such a situation ever again. I don't think all this needs to be talked about."

Celeb guests list

It is learnt that the episode that was being shot was for a New Year's Eve special telecast. The celeb guests in this episode include telly stars Sumeet Sachdev, Amit Jain, Apara Mehta, Tassnim Sheikh, Amit Sareen, Sudha Chandran besides Saurabh Shukla and Sanober among others.

The telly actors were from all channels and not only Sony. Apparently the winners of the special episode were Tassnim and Amit Sareen who shared the Rs 4 lakh prize money.

Desi version

Deal Ya No Deal, which went on air last month, is the desi version of the internationally known game show Deal Or No Deal. Produced by Miditech, the reality show tests an individual's ability in making the right choices.

The contestant faces 22 cash boxes, containing cheques varying from a small amount to Rs 10 million.

Without knowing the contents, the contestant picks one box. The participant has to apply his mind for the prize money that ranges from a small amount to lakhs. It is shot at a studio at MIDC, Andheri (E).

The show has episodic and celeb guests besides the aam janata as the participants.

Last night Jassi-Nandu were the guests; there's also Shaktimaan (Mukesh Khanna), the Kkusum pair of Anuj Saxena and Nausheen Sardar Ali slated to feature besides a Christmas special with Madhavan as Santa Claus.

[email protected]

Madhavan for animals

Madhavan's message: Go Veg
PETA India has just released its new ad featuring 28-year-old film star Madhavan, crouched in a small wire cage with a look of despair on his face to illustrate the daily misery of animals confined on factory farms and at butcher shops. The ad encourages the actor's legions of fans to 'Liberate your diet: Go veg.'

By no means was I comfortable during the photo shoot crouched in that small cage,' explains Madhavan, a longtime vegetarian.

'But what were a few fleeting moments of discomfort for me, as opposed to the suffering that animals raised for food are forced to endure from the time they are born.

I am deeply saddened by our nation's appetite for animal flesh and the atrocities that it has created,' laments Madhavan.

'Animals are not the only victims of meat consumption; the Indian people also pay a high price in the form of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and many cancers. A healthful and compassionate plant-based diet is better for all of us.'

Anastacia thumbnail
Originally posted by: monika_g

Rs 5 crore up for grabs
   By: A hitList Correspondent
   November 8, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
The prize money on Indian television is exploding, and the moolah on game shows this year has gone through the roof

Show: Mission Ek Crore
Hosted by: Sanjay Dutt
Channel: SaharaOne
Prize money: Rs 1 crore
Concept: According to available information, Mission Ek Crore will have four participants who will be sent into a money spending frenzy — the mission being to spend Rs 10 million (Rs 1 crore) under specific terms and conditions.

Show: Deal Ya No Deal
Hosted by: Madhavan
Channel: Sony
Prize money: Rs 1 crore
Concept: Based on the international game show, Deal Or No Deal, this Indian version tests the choice-making skills of contestants. The participants face 22 cash boxes, containing cheques with amounts varying from small amounts to anywhere between one crore. Without knowing the contents, the contestant will pick one sealed box. From here on starts their journey to try and hit the jackpot.

Show: Kam Ya Zyaada
Hosted by: Manoj Bajpai
Channel: Zee
Prize money: Rs 3 crore
Concept: Adapted from Scandinavian format Gimme Five (G5), Kam Ya Zyaada will let viewers sitting at home win big prizes. The key ingredient will be the show's interactivity with the audience, who will have to keep track of the developments happening along with Manoj on the show.

Shows inspired from abroad

1. Who Wants to be a Millionaire (Kaun Banega Crorepati)
2. Dirty Rotten Cheater (Bluff Master)
3. My Sweet Fat Latina (Dekho Magar Pyar Se)
4. American Idol / Pop Idol (Indian Idol)
5. Yo Soy Betty La Fea (Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahi)
6. Fame Academy (Fame Gurukul).

Game shows on air

1. Super Sale (Star One)
2. Kaun Banega Crorepati 2 (Star Plus)

source of the article:-

http://web.mid-day.com/hitlist/2005/november/122802.htm

Shakstar thumbnail
Originally posted by: monika_g

I have always broken the rules': Madhavan
source:-

http://tvguide.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1324415,curpg -1.cms

Tamil super-star Madhavan or Maddy, as he is lovingly called by his fans and co-stars, is currently in news for his game show 'Deal Ya No Deal' on Sony. Maddy is not new to TV as he has featured in popular Hindi serials like 'Saaya', 'Sea Hawks', 'Banegi Apni Baat' and 'Ghar Jamai'. In Bollywood he was last seen in 'Ramji Londonwale' released this year. He talks to Rachna Kanwar about why he chose to do a game-show, his experience of hosting it and also his 'new daddy' status.

Q. How did you decide on hosting a game-show and moving to the small screen after such a long gap?
I have never planned my journeys in terms of what I want to do next. This is something that just happened and it seemed like a really big challenge and very exciting. Apart from that it came with a tag line which said that it was the biggest game shows in the world. It was doing really well in the countries where it was launched so for me that was a challenge. Secondly, there was no script. It's all impromptu. Third is the ability to see somebody's life change in front of you forever. That's something I didn't want to miss.

Q. How do you think the channel decide on you?
Like I said everything in my life is not plotted, these guys asked me to come as a judge on 'Fame Gurukul'. They got excited by whom and what I was and they approached me for this.

Q. Like you said it is the biggest game show in the world, what kind of response have you received so far?
It's been extremely flattering. We didn't expect the kind of TRPs we've been receiving from the first day itself. But by and large what's been important is the number of people who have SMSed me and said that they love the show. Not just me, they like the format and the way the people are playing.

Q. Some people feel the rules are a bit complicated...
Some people are having a little complication understanding what the game show is all about. But it's really simple. It's going to take time. We've only aired six episodes. It's been running for five years in places. So eventually they'll all get it.

Q. Tell us about your experience of hosting the show, how is it for an actor to interact with live audience?
Most of the time people are awed by you. People blush and get self-conscious, which is fine. I am not a superstar so it's not like how they are with Mr. Bachchan. With him they are awestruck which I would be too. Here it's more like 'hey, we like your work' and the girls blush.

Q. And pay you compliments...
Ya, which is fine! (Laughs) The thing is that over a period of time the game show as such, takes away from everything else. Once they start playing the game they forget Madhavan and they forget themselves. The focus shifts. It's the possibility of how their lives can change that really makes the difference. Some people come with problems, a kidney operation or they want to send their children somewhere or they have a complex that they didn't have a good childhood, but they want to give it to their children. So it's not just a 1 Crore of 50 Lakhs thing, it's the ability to have all that you wished for in half an hour. And when that happens its ecstasy and when it doesn't happen its agony. So at that time it doesn't matter whether it's a Madhavan or a Shah Rukh Khan who is sitting there, it's their lives that are more important.

Q. What do your fans down south think of your move to host a Hindi game show?
They are very excited as this is for the first time in the history of Tamil cinema that a top league actor there is hosting a huge top league game show in Hindi. So it's a matter of pride for them.

Q. So far, apart from Mr. Amitabh Bachchan, no other big star from Bollywood has made a hit host of a game show. What do you think is your chance of making the show a hit? What is your USP?
It's me! (Laughs) I have always broken the rules. People told me television actors can't become film-stars, but I did. People told me Tamil stars can't do Hindi films, but I did. Now you are telling me that film-stars don't become successful anchors so let's see...I am sure I'll prove that wrong as well.

Q. What kind of specials is in the offing on 'Deal...'? Are their any celebrity specials planned?
Well, I am sure we'll have specials for Christmas and New Year's and celebrity specials also but that's not planned yet.

Q. There's a lot happening in your personal life as well. How has being a father changed you as person?
It's phenomenal! I can't describe it. Most people think I am a kid, not old enough to be a father. But the fact is I am 36, really old enough to be a father. I love the fact that there is this other person who is totally dependent on us and who looks up to us, so when I hold my son in my arms I feel like an emperor. I feel like I have achieved something. I feel that there is somebody who is going to enjoy all my achievements. I hope he has as good a childhood as I did. I try to change nappies but I am not very good at that, but I am good at making him go to sleep.

Q. You are there in 'Rang De Basanti' tell us about your role.
It's just a guest appearance. Hardly 5-7 minutes.

Q. What are the other projects here in Bollywood?
I am going to do only one film a year in Hindi. Next year's film script is getting ready right now.

Shakstar thumbnail
Originally posted by: priya.nair

Daily soaps means slavery!'

Soon be seen in 'Deal Ya No Deal' as a celebrity participant, actress-cum-singer Sanober Kabir speaks to SHOWBUZZ NETWORK about herself..

Sanober Kabir was last seen in Kalpana Lajmi's 'Kyon' and has done three television shows 'Tum Bin Jau Kaha' for Zee TV, produced by Aruna Irani in which she played Durga opposite Vikas Bhalla in Arzoo Hai Tu and - Karishma-The Miracle of Destiny for Sahara one produced by Akashdeep in which she played Ria- opposite Jugal Hansraj. She has done more than 200 live shows as a singer-cum-performer during the last two years (in India and abroad).
The remix of the song 'Bairi Ke Bair' from the film 'Anokhi Raat' from the album " The Return of Kaanta mix on T-series was an instant hit.   The remix song 'Kaan Mein Jumka, Chal Mein Thumka' from the film 'Saawan Badho' from the album 'Bomshell Babe' on T-series was also one of the most talked-about chartbusters.

How did you decide to enter the glam world?
My father N S Kabir was secretary to Sharmila Tagore for 10 years and made two films 'Tyag' and 'Badnam Farishtey' with Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore. My mother Sabiha used to design clothes for many actresses including Sharmila Tagore, Padmini Kohlapure, Sridevi, Madhuri, Meenakshi Sheshadri and Tabu. She introduced
my cousin, Sonam to the industry and managed her work as well.

When did you start with television?
I have been offered television shows since long. Television has become big in the last two years. It ensures regular work for actors. I do live shows abroad and have realised that television actors are as popular as film stars. Television gives you instant recognition. I got an author-backed role of Durga in Aruna Irani Productions. It was on my terms and conditions so I took up the offer.

One doesn't see you in Saas Bahu serials! Any particular reason?
I do watch them once in a while. Like most people, I don't think they are regressive. We Indians are sentimental by nature and like everything with happy endings and emotional content. People complain that saas-bahu soaps are unending but abroad the show can even run non-stop for twelve years. Now the trend of reality shows is picking up and people like variety.

Are you open to doing a daily soap now?
Daily soaps mean slavery. It's like being a bonded labourer for an entire month and you are left with no time for yourself. I am open only to cameos or episodes in shows. I am travelling at least fifteen to twenty days a month for my live shows. I have done more than 200 shows.

Are you a trained dancer?
I started learning dance at the age of five. I have learnt classical for twelve years under Gopi Kishan and also took lessons from Jayanti Mala (Sitara Devi's daughter). In western dancing, I took lessons from Shiamak Davar, Terrence Lewis and Jojo Khan.

Would you have loved to be a part of 'Naach Baliye'?
It's the only program I watch on a Hindi channel. My personal favourites are Sachin and Supriya but I was shocked when Varun Badola and Rajeswari Sachdev were voted out in the show.

How is the experience of participating in 'Deal Ya no Deal'?
It was fun. We were twenty celebrities in all. We had decided in advance that whoever won would share the amount among the twenty of us. Madhavan as an anchor was very sweet and professional. His grand father died on the day the episode was to be shot. He came to shoot because it would have been difficult to get twenty of us together again.

Who's your favourite singer?
Sonu Nigam. He sings like a dream. Every song that he sings makes me feel as if he has sung it for me. I am a screaming fan of his.

What's the best thing about the television industry?
It has given great opportunities to actors, comedians and technicians who were written off by the film industry. It has provided employment to a large number of people. The television industry is growing. Above that, it is a clean industry.

What do you enjoy more, singing or acting?
It's like asking which eye is better left or right! (Laughs)

What about film offers?
I get film offers every second day. But I don't want to do sleazy films or films with no substance. I would prefer waiting for the right roles and continue with television till then.

Who is the sexiest man in Bollywood, according to you?
Shahrukh Khan. I like him for his romantic image. No matter who he is paired with, he
looks at her like she's the only woman.

.iqbal thumbnail

Anchor Madhavan loses voice,thanks to confetti gas on his game show

Last week, while shooting for the game show Deal Ya No Deal, the show's host Madhavan suffered a serious vocal injury which brought on an attack of laryngitis.

Madhavan, who is just beginning to get his voice back, recalled the incident with horror. "It happened all of a sudden and I didn't even realise that it would be so grave. In the middle of the shoot we had this confetti blast. I didn't even know I had inhaled the gas. Before I knew it, my voice got affected. Soon it went completely and I panicked.   Fortunately, it was just laryngitis. I've just begun to get my voice back. But I was asked not speak at all. Even now I'm forbidden from talking."

The actor, who's about to start his new Hindi film, is gung-ho about his game show, "I'm truly enjoying the experience. We recently did a celebrity special with Jassi (Mona Singh) and then with Anu Malik. I had a good time with Anu. He's a really sweet guy. For the New Year's eve we've recorded a celebrity special with the couple who starred in the soap Kkusum (Nausheen Sardar Ali and Anuj Saxena). I'm so glad that TV stars have become celebrities in their own right. I started on TV too."
doc.sam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Deal doctor

R. Madhavan at The Park on Monday. Picture by Pabitra Das
He is set to paint the town yellow in a couple of weeks but during a daylong visit to the city on Monday, he chose to go red. Awaiting the release of Rang De Basanti, R. Madhavan came to strike another deal with Calcutta, promoting his popular game show on Sony and announcing specials for the next few weeks.

"It's a great feeling that ever since the show started one-and-a-half months back, people, especially kids and their parents, recognise me as the Deal Ya No Deal man," smiles Madhavan. "It's quite an experience watching these participants playing for the money and seeing their whole lives in front of their eyes. All the crying that you see on the show is real — we don't use glycerine."

The Sony game show, where people have to keep opening boxes randomly to win lakhs of rupees, started out on a promising note raking in the TRPs. Presence of celebrities like Anu Malik increased viewership and that is what prompted the channel to come up with more specials. So in coming weeks, you can catch everyone from Indian Idol Abhijeet Sawant and Fame Gurukul finalist Rex D'Souza to Mukesh Shaktiman Khanna and Nausheen Kkusum Sardar coming to strike deals on the show.

Deal Ya No Deal marked a return to TV for Madhavan who earlier won many hearts in serials like Banegi Aapni Baat and Saaya. A big cinestar in the South, Madhavan's attempts at Hindi cinema hasn't found favour. Even his last release Ramji Londonwaley sank without a trace. "The timing of the release was very bad," he admits. "But I am not going to give up in a hurry."

Madhavan's role in Rang De Basanti is a "special appearance", he insists. "It was amazing to work with someone like Aamir Khan," he says. "I am really lucky to have worked with the best of people — from Mani Ratnam to A.R. Rahman to Amitabh Bachchan."

But he doesn't figure in Ratnam's next film even though he's played the leading man in three of the director's movies. "It's in Hindi. So Mani Sir's gone with Abhishek Bachchan." reveals Madhavan.

So what next for the man who was born and brought up in Jamshedpur and who still looks out from his aeroplane window to spot his hometown on his way to Calcutta? "I want to have Amitji playing Deal Ya No Deal with me. If the TRPs of his channel and mine combine, we can create television history," winks Madhavan.

Anastacia thumbnail
Originally posted by: priya.nair

Fame Gurukul finalists are all set to compete with their Indian Idol counterparts for a New Year special

War of the vocalists...

The first face-off between Fame Gurukul and Indian Idol is Sony's New Year bonanza

Subhash K Jha

As a New Year's special attraction, Deal Ya No Deal is bringing together the ten finalists of Fame Gurukul to compete with those of Indian Idol.

Nausheen Ali and Anuj Saxena, the original Kkusum and Abhay, will also be seen on Deal Ya No Deal, followed by a congregation of TV stars, including Apara Mehta, Tasneem Sheikh, Pooja Ghai, Amit Jain, Sumeet Sachdeva…

"…Yes, even TV stars from our rival channel," says Sony's Tarun Katial. "We don't discriminate on New Year."

In the meanwhile, Katial stoutly defends the melodrama and tears on Indian Idol 2. "The tears aren't orchestrated. They're genuine. Being an Indian Idol means so much more to the participants than it did earlier. The first time around the contestants didn't realise what being an Abhijeet Sawant meant. Now, just being in the Top 10 is bliss. And so, the desperation and tears. You can't force tears on reality TV."

But the big one for 2006 is Fear Factor. Tarun says, "It's the world's biggest reality thrill game-show that has been running in several countries for over ten years. We've already shot thirteen episodes on different themes in Malaysia with different TV stars and film actors. We go on air early next year. This is a genre that has never been explored on Indian television."

Fear Factor would be Indian television's first international production, with India, Malaysia and Indonesia collaborating on the project

Anastacia thumbnail
Madhavan's vocal chords have been in the news for a different reason altogether. Last week while shooting for Sony Entertainment's game show Deal Ya No Deal the show's host, Madhavan suffered a serious vocal injury which was brought on an attack of laryngitis.

Madhavan, who's just beginning to get his voice back, recalled the incident with horror. "It happened so suddenly, I didn't even realize I was injured. In the middle of the shooting we had this confetti blast. I didn't realize that I had inhaled the gas. Before I knew it, my voice got affected. Soon it went off completely. I panicked. Fortunately, it was just laryngitis. I've just begun to get my voice back. Even now I'm forbidden from talking."

The actor is gung-ho about his game show, "I'm truly enjoying the experience. We recently did a celebrity special with Jassi (Mona Singh) and then with Anu Malik. I had a good time with Anu. For the New Year's Eve, we've recorded a celebrity special with the couple who starred in the soap Kkusum (Nausheen Sardar Ali and Anuj Saxena). I'm so glad that TV stars have become celebrities in their own right. I started on TV too."
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
'Deal Ya No Deal' now with exciting episodes

Courtesy: Goher Iqbal Punn
Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Sony Entertainment channel always churns out the stuff that simply arrests the breaths and gets laced with the contents, which can be watched with the family. And this is what that has created a special niche in viewers' hearts for the channel from the day it went on air to allure the souls of the people spread in the country and across the globe. 'Deal Ya No Deal' is another distinctive feather to its cap, the reality game show with the host R. Madhavan. The show has been making waves since the beginning and also seen celebs and the people from different walks of life playing the game. On New Year Night, the show was also the part of Sony Entertainment whopping Jashn 2005. With the advent of year 2006, the show is bringing the exciting and special episodes to entice its viewers. On 6th of January 2006, 'Deal Ya No Deal' features Traffic Cops Special at 8.30 p.m. where the traffic cop Vishal will be playing to fulfill his dream of building an entertainment centre for his colleagues and traveling to his dream destination - Italy.

The opening episodes of 'Deal Ya No Deal' in the New Year have lots more in store! There's 66-year-old Ratan Sukhwal, a resident of Udaipur, who desperately needs the money to fulfil the needs of his family, playing for the big money on 4th January, 2006. Will this ardent fan of yesteryear actress Vyjantimala and follower of Shri Ravi Shankarji make the right deal? The excitement does not end here, the week also showcases a contestant from Kandivali-Mumbai named Vaishali Shegokar trying to make the right deal on January 5, 2006. 'Deal Ya No Deal' is the easiest reality game show on television today where one does not require any special skill to win big money. The simplest decision and right choice can win a participant anything between 25 paise to 1 crore. No difficult questions, no tricky answers, only one mantra- 'Deal Ya No Deal'.

So what more you need to glitter the New Year beginning? Tune into Sony Entertainment channel every Wednesday to Friday at 8.30 p.m.

Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago