Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai

New soaps, more lather

rekha02 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago
New soaps, more lather
Sheetal Vyas / Hyderabad December 11, 2010, 0:22 IST

Will a new slew of shows bring something fresh to TV?

The world of Indian TV soaps is raising a duststorm. Not of controversy this time but the honest dust of frenetic activity.

Soap operas, as studies and common observation will attest, are addictive affairs.

It is a large but rather particular audience ' usually female though not exclusively so; these are people with the time and mindspace to spare for the concerns of other people, be they ever so fictional. A good soap extends beyond the half hour that is spent in front of the television ' a good story fills the crevices between chores, engages the mind and heart when they are not needed elsewhere. Favourite soaps are habits; not to have the next fix when it is habitually due can be disturbing to the rhythm.

I say all this to place in context the consternation of soap-viewing audiences given the ongoing changes in viewing patterns. To begin with, the past few months have seen the closure of a number of old regulars. The biggest wrench of all surely must be Star Plus's Bidaai. It ran for three years and, while it achieved high TRPs for most of its tenure, it garnered a heart-warming popularity that can't be measured by numbers alone. On the youth-oriented Star One, two long-running programmes ' Dill Mill Gaye and Miley Jab Hum Tum ' have been pulled off. Naturally, there have been replacements. Star One has three new shows including Ekta Kapoor's vampire love story Ye Pyaar Ki Ek Kahaani. Bidaai has given way to the rather interesting and faintly magical Gulaal, which, to my mind, is quite the only one capable of adequately filling the gap its predecessor left behind.

What this means for the soap watcher is that, apart from missing her old staples, suddenly she finds herself in a completely new landscape ' milieux that she isn't too familiar with, several characters she has not invested in, and fresh relationships that don't yet have an emotional connect.

Then, the industry must needs make alterations as well. A few months ago, Star Plus elongated viewing hours with new shows at 11pm and 11.30pm ' late night slots that allow them to be more 'bold'. Then, to the astonishment of many, a series called Saathiya that airs at the early hour of 7pm stumbled into the top ten. You could hear the wheels turning. If sufficient numbers were tuning in at seven, could they be persuaded to reach for the remote earlier still? Zee TV is now trying that: two new serials from this week to kick off the evening's television viewing from 6pm. If the idea takes, it won't be very long before other channels follow. So, all taken, viewers have a potential six hours of fresh content and that's without counting afternoon soaps, promiscuous channel-hopping and repeats. What's more, Star One has decided to push the programming envelope in another dimension. Their five soaps will air not five but six days of the week, by co-opting Saturdays into the 'soap week'.

For our soap watcher, these are hours and slots she wasn't used to, these are new habits she needs develop if she wishes to scope out her options. These shows aim, not at bringing in fresh audiences, but at reining in the same existing ones. How long before fatigue kicks in? Besides, to what end, if the content isn't good enough and will only end after short flailing bursts?

Women rule prime time in India ' on the screen and in the drawing rooms where they are received. But might this extensive programming threaten that? A family that is resigned to let soaps dominate during prime time will be less inclined to relinquish the remote for marathon sessions, five/six days a week. Will these adjustments serve to increase soap viewing or audiences? More importantly, does this slew of soaps bring anything fresh by way of attitudes or narratives? It is too soon to tell  but whether these strategies sink or swim, they're working up a fine lather.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/new-soaps-more-lather/417810/

Bidaai has given way to the rather interesting and faintly magical Gulaal, which, to my mind, is quite the only one capable of adequately filling the gap its predecessor left behind.

Maybe to the mind of the author but since I can't bear to watch Starplus any more maybe somebody else who wishes to agree with what is said here.I found this article in Choti Bahu forum.

Edited by rekha03 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
So the author says that Gulaal will fill the gap  the no 1 poswistion Bidaaii has given

Nah !! I mean the show  may captivate audiences but having a water search show at 9 pm prime time where the source of entertainment will be  people searching for teh source iof water and villagers running with the lady who feels with her payal ki awaaz

People are quite disspointed that a no 1 show is axed at the time when other shows who should be  removed  are still running
poo_s thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I dont know ..as the shows I like dont reach the TOP😭
may be because all Indian audience like shows with 
high melodrama,
high kitchen polictics,
high overacting( or no acting),
multiple marriages,
misunderstanding between (saas-bahu,pati-pati,bhai-bahi,bahi-bahen,bahen-bahen,saas-sasur,sautans)..
saas dont like bahu,
bahu dont like saas,
pati dont like patni,
patni dont like pati
patni dont like pati's 2nd wife(its natural though)
& all plan to kill either of them...& make SHAZIS to throw any of them out of the house
so uncommon & original
🤪
🤣
so any shows of SP can anyday reach the no. 1Spot & if it dont ..then 
Edited by poo_s - 13 years ago
rekha02 thumbnail
Now looks like Starplus is back to the Saas Bahu era as Saathiya is consistently topping the charts , the Saas acts rather well with her big Bindi. I used to watch it in hopes of catching Bidaai's promo on Starplus.
poo_s thumbnail
Originally posted by: rekha03

Now looks like Starplus is back to the Saas Bahu era as Saathiya is consistently topping the charts , the Saas acts rather well with her big Bindi. I used to watch it in hopes of catching Bidaai's promo on Starplus.

hehehe di
even I used to watch SP in free time to catch bidaai promo😳
rekha02 thumbnail
Originally posted by: poo_s

hehehe di
even I used to watch SP in free time to catch bidaai promo😳

Waise Pratigya used to do well too and has good actors but too bold for my taste , I basically like Apu's dramas , they make great viewing . Like the past 7 years , they have been my stable and consistent T.V viewing right from reality to fiction.😃
poo_s thumbnail

Waise Pratigya used to do well too and has good actors but too bold for my taste , I basically like Apu's dramas , they make great viewing . Like the past 7 years , they have been my stable and consistent T.V viewing right from reality to fiction.😃

me too di😛
in this 7 yrs or in my life I never watched any other actors' show ..the way I watch apu's shows 😳
rekha02 thumbnail
Originally posted by: poo_s

me too di😛
in this 7 yrs or in my life I never watched any other actors' show ..the way I watch apu's shows 😳

same here and hope Apu never leaves acting even for his dream of becoming a director.😃. Apu should learn from BigB . Great actors never give up acting. I was very much upset in 2009 but  Bidaai's small wonder has brought him back and hope he doesn't take his usual 4-5 months to take up a new show.
shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I cannot see him behind the cameras he should continue his acting !
I mean seriously he can mold so well in any daam role !!

I hope he comes back soon !! all shows seem so void with him on screen
Thank God i am watching JJKN reruns some Apu dose for me !

poo_s thumbnail

same here and hope Apu never leaves acting even for his dream of becoming a director.😃. Apu should learn from BigB . Great actors never give up acting. I was very much upset in 2009 but  Bidaai's small wonder has brought him back and hope he doesn't take his usual 4-5 months to take up a new show.

sach main apu's dream will kill us😡😭
he should continue with his acting😳..he is such a great actor(& this is not a God gift for him) he worked hard👏 staring from JJKN..
when he was in films..his acting was poor😆 then he entered jjkn initially in was avg but slowly it started to improve..now its TOP CLASS
so he should not leave acting ..😛
though I would love to see his dream come to reality😳