Kabir Bedi: From Sandokan to Dadabhai: TOI Article

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 13 years ago
Television's getting more stylish now.... the handsome Kabir Bedi has made his debut on satellite TV with Ganga Kii Dheej on Sahara One (Monday to Thursday at 10 pm). And he's beautifully managed to get into the skin of his character — a village thakur, who is like God to the villagers.

We would have expected Kabir to choose a more flamboyant role rather than one with a rural setting for a debut, but he has a point: "That's one of the reasons why I accepted this offer. I wanted to show myself in a very Indian role, in a very rural setting, playing this very powerful landlord. I have played lead roles, negative roles, father's roles and this one adds to my range."

Television has always been close to his heart. After all, his international shows including the Sandokan series and Bold & The Beautiful made him very popular. "I had many Hindi serial offers in the last few years, but either they couldn't pay my price or I didn't like the role," he admits.

He's glad with what he's taken up now. "This is a show set in rural Bengal, in a village where power is manifested through the use of superstition and false tradition and oppression of women. It boils down to a village girl's battle against my character — a landlord who virtually rules the village. And there's the other character Mahamai, who plays out the rituals."

Ask him about Indian television vis-a-vis the West and he says, "It's more varied there. They too have family dramas, but they've also moved to other genres. No doubt their budgets are bigger and so they have a few more luxuries. But there's a big change here too with a lot of visual variety."

And what does he have to say about the all-important word TRP (Television Rating Points)? "Given the fact that we have the TRP system, it's definitely important. But I do feel there should be bigger sampling to determine the audience's choice," he says and then, as a parting shot, adds, "There's just one thing I want to tell everyone... Watch this show. If you don't like it, stop watching. But don't not watch it!"