~Article Archives~No Comments

Posted: 13 years ago
Colors to launch its new show 'Rishton Se Badi… Pratha' 
Posted by Adgully Bureau | November 11th, 2010 at 6:30 am

Advertisement

Sati, Polygamy, Female Infanticide were few outlawed practices in India. With each passing day, Indians, whether it's in the name of society or religion or family, instigate new practices in the community / society. One such practice which is still prevalent in certain parts of India is 'Honour Killing'. COLORS new fiction show, Rishton Se Badi… Pratha attempts to highlight one such brutal, gothic and barbaric Pratha of killing one's own kith and kin in the garb of 'family honour'.A story set in Noida revolves around a young couple deeply in love who are forced to give up their love in the name of family honour. Rishton Se Badi… Pratha will premiere on November 15 at 7.30 pm and from every Monday to Friday only on COLORS.

Set in Noida, Rishton Se Badi… Pratha revolves around Surbhi, a dreamy-eyed young woman in love with Abhay. Both their families are related to each other since Abhay's sister Ratna is married to Surbhi's brother. In a traditional Indian set-up if a girl expresses her desire to get married to a person of her choice, it is considered to be the highest degree of dishonor for her family.

Speaking about the show, Ashvini Yardi, Head Programming, COLORS, said, "Rishton Se Badi… Pratha is a very poignant and relatable story that brings to light certain social prejudices that still continue to exist in our society. Honour is a huge responsibility for Indians and families take enough pride to retain their entire lives. There is no space for anyone to ruin it including children. This heartwarming story told by the great team of Spellbound will surely resonate with the viewers."

Rishton Se Badi… Pratha will take viewers through the dark, grim and gruesome reality of insensitive, feudal, chauvinistic and barbaric tradition in the garb of family honour. So will Abhay and Surbhi's love rebel or bow in front of the ruthless and selfish society?

The producer of the show, Pearl Shahi, Spellbound Productions says, "The show is inspired by real-life incidents, specially the recent case of Nirupama Pathak who had to pay the price of expressing her wishes of marrying her love against the wishes of her family. Rishton Se Badi… Pratha is an attempt to highlight such dogmatic pratha that is still prevalent in our modern Indian society. Each individual is entitled to lead life basis their inclination. Though few families are stringent and when it comes to honour they do not spare or support anyone. With this show our aim is to highlight the issue and its existence and raise our voice against this pseudo-tradition, still prevalent in India".

Not long ago, did India stand up for justice against the honour killing cases of Nirupama Pathak and Nitish Katara. Though these are handful cases highlighted, there might be some safely hidden under the blankets of family honour!

Rishton Se Badi… Pratha produced by Spellbound Productions will have actors Shalini Chandran and Vishal Karwal portray lead real-to-life characters and situations along with other talented actors.

Kunal Karan Kapoor in Pratha

Kunal Karan Kapoor in Pratha

Kunal Karan Kapoor who played letch and eve-teaser Angad in STAR Plus' Pratigya has impressed his producer so much that he is all set to be repeated in their new show Pratha on Colors. To those uninitiated, Kapoor's cameo in Pratigya was initially scheduled to last for just two months but the over-whelming response to his character led to an extension of the cameo.

Informs our source, "Kunal is doing a cameo in Pratha like he did in Pratigya. He has been very impressive in the latter and the makers wanted to repeat him in their second show. Kunal will play Amreek on the show who happens to be Vishal Karwal, male lead's friend. He will eventually help the leading couple to elope."

When contacted, Kunal said, "I am playing Amreek Singh who is a modern and happy-go-lucky guy like how you find Punjabi guys in Delhi. For me it's more like re-visiting the past. I am very nervous while essaying this role as this is completely different from Angad from Pratigya. My entry will air in tonight's episode."

Watch the devil from Pratigya return in a friendly avatar in Pratha tonight at 7:30 pm on Colors.

Neha Maheshwri

Link :: http://www.indya.com/gallery/indyagallery.aspx?p=Sanjay-Dutt-to-anchor-Dus-Ka-Dum-3&aid=2304
Hum bhi agar bachche hote
By KavitaYadav 13 Nov 2010 - 10:30

Shalini Chandran: I feel lucky to be born in the 80's where we saw great legends like Michael Jackson and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. We can relate to the old and the present scenario. We did not grow up soon and we retained our innocence for a longer time than the present generation. So, I don't think I would like to be born in this generation for I feel if things don't happen before their time, it's nicer. But, being in school would have been definitely been more fun. Nevertheless, I am happy here.

Link is here : http://www.tellychakkar.com/features/hum-bhi-agar-bachche-hote

My Dilli encounters!

• Shalini Chandran
By ShaliniChandran 23 Nov 2010 - 17:13

Shalini Chandran

A Page from personal diary of Shalini Chandran

Till my Class 10 I had never moved out of my city where I used to stay with my parents. But, my brother used to stay in Delhi and for some reason I don't know why my mom wanted me to go to Delhi for higher studies. As I said, I had never been out of Jamshedpur and I was moving out of it for the first time. My brother came home to take me back.

We boarded a train to Delhi and ever since then I have been travelling to different places from Mumbai to Delhi. And, today I remember my first trip out of my house for I am travelling to Delhi again for my shoot. But, this was not just the first time I travelled out of my city but I also got to see a movie on the big screen.

Due to certain reasons things didn't work out for me in Delhi and I had to come back home in a week's time. But, since I had a week in my hand my brother did let me see one of the most celebrated films of Indian cinema and that was Dilwale Dulhania Le Jaayenge. It was my first visit to a theatre and an entry to the world of big screen. It was an overwhelming experience as it was a romantic movie and I am romantic. Love and romance have been very important part in my life.

Anyways, another interesting thing is whenever I have gone for a romantic movie it's been with my family, even during DDLJ my brother was with me! But, my first trip to Delhi was my key to two new worlds.

Edited by cintu - 13 years ago
Vishal Karwal back in action with Pratha
Buzz up!

Sati, polygamy, female infanticide and honour killing are some of the few outlawed practices in India.

With each passing day, Indians, whether it's in the name of society or religion or family, instigate new practices in the community/society and take law into their own hands. This has been observed by the media, who has decided to promote social awareness through news or television shows. Colors' new fiction show, Rishton Se Badi… Pratha attempts to highlight the issue. The show is inspired by real-life incidents, especially the recent case of Nirupama Pathak who had to pay the price of expressing her wishes of marrying her love against the wishes of her family.

Television actor Vishal Karwal, who was last seen in BhagyaVidhata on Color, will now romance Shalini Chandran who was seen in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki.The story revolves around Surbhi (Shalini),who is in love with Abhay played by Vishal Karwal.

Explaining about his character Vishal says, "In the show,I come from a conservative family that hails from a town in UP and stays in Noida.I play a guy who lives in Delhi and is extremely scared of his father."

Later he spoke about the honour killings, the topic of the show, "I was born in Himachal Pradesh but studied in Chandigarh. So I know that in the interiors of Punjab, daughters are considered as the honour of the family."

Further about his co-star Shalini Chandran aka Surbhi, "I love the character of Geet played by Kareena Kapoor in Jab We Met.And in the show. Shalini's character is just like her.Our on-screen chemistry is so real that I am sure the audience will think that there's something brewing between us off-screen."

Rishton Se Badi…
Pratha revolves around Surbhi, a dreamy-eyed young woman in love with Abhay. Both their families are related to each other since Abhay's sister Ratna is married to Surbhi's brother. In a traditional Indian set-up if a girl expresses her desire to get married to a person of her choice, it is considered to be the highest degree of dishonor for her family.

Rishton Se Badi…
Pratha will premiere on November 15 at 7.30 pm and from every Monday to Friday only on COLORS.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsdetails.aspx?p=Vishal-Karwal-back-in-action-with-Pratha&xfile=2010/November/News_20101113_25

I dream of Manish Malhotra designing for my wedding someday: Shalini Chandran

By TellychakkarTeam 4 Dec 2010 - 19:18

Shalini Chandran

TellyChakkar caught up with Shalini Chandran (Surbhi in Rishton Se Badi Pratha) to find out about her fashion rules.

Fashion is: Something which is very elegant and comfortable.

Who chooses your clothes? I do. I don't have a boyfriend but when I do, I don't mind him choosing my clothes.

Do you wear accessories? I am not a very accessory person. I don't like glam accessories. But I like wearing a lot of chunky watches; I am very fond of them.

Do you follow any brands? I like United Colors of Benetton.

Favourite shopping destination: Oberoi Mall, boutiques and shops in Bandra.

Most expensive buy: It has to be my car. I had gifted myself a Swift worth 4.75 lakh when I was doing Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki.

Clothes you are comfortable in: I love wearing nice shorts from Bandra. I also like traditional wear, but I prefer western outfits more.

Favourite designer: I love Manish Malhotra's collection a lot. He makes women look so beautiful, his cuts and styling is simply superb. And I have a dream of being styled by him for my wedding. Besides, I also like Sabyasachi and Ritu Kumar too.

Must-have in your wallet: I always carry my mother's photo and pictures of god whom I worship a lot (Ganesh ji, Laxmi ji and Krishna).

Favourite perfume: Versace, Hugo Boss (FEMME), Issey Miyake and many more.

Colour that fills your wardrobe: I have a lot of black and a lot of pink stuff, almost every shade of pink.

Vishal doesn't gossip...find out why!

By TellychakkarTeam 30 Nov 2010 - 12:07

Vishal Karwal

Most TV actors spend their time in-between shots either chatting and bitching out others or thinking of new pranks but there are still others like Vishal Karwal who has made a mini-home of sorts in his make-up room and likes to spend his time there.

A source from the sets of Rishton Se Badi Pratha says, "Vishal has set up a mini home in his make-up room where he has everything from a TV set, microwave, laptop, internet connection. And, he had his mini-home even while he was doing Bhagyavidhata. The only thing that's missing from Vishal's mini home is a refrigerator that he will be getting soon."

Meanwhile, Vishal (Abhay), Shalini Chandran (Surbhi) and Zeb Khan who plays Vishal's elder brother Tribhuvan in the show have developed a very strong bond in a short period of time. They are together on the sets most of the time and spend their time either playing Antakshari or watching TV."

Vishal confirmed the same and said, "I anyways end up spending a lot of time on the sets and when we aren't doing much I go to my room and watch TV or work on the net. I think that keeps one away from wasting time on gossiping!"

Ah, a good boy we have here, don't we?

Edited by LoveViShalini - 13 years ago

Surbhi's safely guarded secret is out.. It is yet another testing time for Abhay and Surbhi as sonography results confirm that Surbhi is not pregnant in COLORS' Rishton Se Badi Pratha..

http://www.india-forums.com/tellybuzz/wassup/8949-surbhi-safely-guarded-secret-is-out.htm

'We aim to cross our own benchmarks' - Guruodev Bhalla

Guruodev Bhalla, Vice-President, Walkwater Productions talks about the consistent run of their two shows, Pratigya and Pratha...

http://www.india-forums.com/tellybuzz/starry-takes/8937-we-aim-to-cross-our-own-benchmarks-guruodev-bhalla.htm
Parul feels fortunate to be part of Pratha 
Buzz up!

Television actress Parul Chouhan, who shot to fame thanks to her role in Sapna Babul Ka Bidai will now be seen in Rishton Se Badi…Pratha on Colors. 

She has now replaced Shalini Chandran. Says Parul, "I had gone for the auditions and was selected to play Surabhi. The producers had seen me act in Bidaai and they asked me to audition for this show. The show is different from other primetime shows, as it deals with honour killings. It's an interesting theme, so I'm glad to be part of it."

Speaking about honour killings, she said, "I've heard some horror stories about honour killings. Being Rajput, it's very common in our clan."

Speaking of the character, she said, "The character Surabhi is different from Ragini. She is sweet, loving and there would be additional shades to the character."

When asked about the rumour that Shalini getting replaced because of Vishal, she said, "Vishal is fun-loving and a good co-actor. The unit is fun to be around with. I don't know anything more to the rumours," she added.

She hopes that the audience loves her on the show and appreciates her as much as they did in Bidaai.