The most asked question.... - Page 2

Posted: 13 years ago
sorry, edited😳
Edited by anchal2 - 13 years ago
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Just an offhand question....what do you guys think of agnostics? Do you believe they too are confused, or do you think they are less confused than atheists?

Someone told me that people who are agnostics almost always turn into atheists sometime in thier life...but could the other not be true also? Do you think an agnostic can turn into a theist?

Great segway, Janu! I think an agnostic certainly can turn into a thiest - when you get further into SK, you'll see that Akrur is shown as a perfect example. What you usually hear from agnostics is something like, "I'm not too sure what I think about God but I don't think it really matters, as long as I am a good person". So, if nothing else, they are certain about the doctrine of karma, and they can be classified as imperfect karm-yogis - imperfect because as per the Gita, it gets perfect when devotion is injected into it - you act, and you offer the act to God. And that devotion only comes through some sort of experience - most often contact with a merciful guru, but in some rare cases something direct like a darshan or a miracle. Though we might think that our devotion has been a part of us since we were born and we didn't need such an experience/contact, that's usually because it happened in a past life and we just don't remember. In Akrur's case, he got that underwater vision of Shri Krishna (you'll love this scene when you get to it) and it was that experience that converted him from an imperfect karm yogi to a perfect one - one who is also a bhakt - and in our terms, an agnostic to a theist. The potential for a guru/experience exists for all, and so all agnostics do have the potential to become theists.
Edited by lola610 - 13 years ago
Originally posted by lola610

Great segway, Janu! I think an agnostic certainly can turn into a thiest - when you get further into SK, you'll see that Akrur is shown as a perfect example. What you usually hear from agnostics is something like, "I'm not too sure what I think about God but I don't think it really matters, as long as I am a good person". So, if nothing else, they are certain about the doctrine of karma, and they can be classified as imperfect karm-yogis - imperfect because as per the Gita, it gets perfect when devotion is injected into it - you act, and you offer the act to God. And that devotion only comes through some sort of experience - most often contact with a merciful guru, but in some rare cases something direct like a darshan or a miracle. Though we might think that our devotion has been a part of us since we were born and we didn't need such an experience/contact, that's usually because it happened in a past life and we just don't remember. In Akrur's case, he got that underwater vision of Shri Krishna (you'll love this scene when you get to it) and it was that experience that converted him from an imperfect yogi to a perfect one - one who is also a bhakt - and in our terms, an agnostic to a theist. The potential for a guru/experience exists for all, and so all agnostics do have the potential to become theists.

I did not get to that episode yet (as you know), but I remember seeing it on youtube because someone uploaded that part and I clicked on it out of curiosity (back in the day when I knew nothing about SK, even that Swapnil acted as teen Krishna). It really was taken well, I loved it!👏

And agree with you about Agnostics turning into theists. One of my friends was an agnostic, and she recently turned into a theist about an year or so ago, but I also have an agnostic friend who claims she's an atheist now, so I guess it can go both ways if a miracle does not happen 'soon enough'.
Well, first of all, we don't have to prove anything to them. If they don't believe, no amount of proof that we put forth will convince them. Usually atheist know that they're being childish when they ask such questions as "How can you be so sure?" They just are frustrated with their own lives and their own faiths that they can't see how God could let so many problems arise. But actually there are many proofs of God everywhere.
 Without God there was about zero chance of us to actually exist if it was left to nature alone. I mean, yeah, the big bang theory and evolution is something I believe in (i am not trying to go against scientific theories), but what were the chances that those things would happen huh? Zero right? And again, when will people realize that they exist beyond this material world. They don't even need to think about the universe and creation but about themselves and ask how they could come exist. God the answer.