Ram's 'Eka Patnivrat' vs. Krishna's 16,108 wives

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
Now, don't start throwing tomatoes at me guys, because I assure you, I LOVE both Ramji and Krishnaji - a lot😆, but this doubt has been playing in my mind for awhile now and I wanted to know your reasoning behind it.😳   I don't think there is any 'correct' answer for it, but the explanations you all think to be true may clear my doubt.

I am basically confused about one thing. Lord Ram demonstrated in his Ram Avatar, that the ideal for every man must be "one word, one wife", meaning that a man should never lie in his lifetime and he should also stay devoted to one woman. Ramji considered both these ideals to be most important, because for the sake of honoring his father's word, he went on 14 year Vanvaas and even when he sent Sitaji on exile in Uttar Kand, he had a golden statue of Sita Ma made instead of remarrying someone else for the Ashvamedh Yagna, even when the praja wanted him to remarry.

Ramji set this ideal for a reason, right? It is because he wanted everyone to follow this ideal and attain moksha.

If Ramji set such a strict ideal, why did Lord Krishna go contradictory to that ideal and marry 16,108 Princesses?

Like I wrote above, I love Lord Krishna a lot and I do not condemn his actions at all, but am just confused.

Both Ram and Krishna are equally important Avatars, and people follow the example of both Avatars.

But a genuinely confused man would be stumped once he gets to the wife part, wouldn't he? Ram said 'one wife' alone gives a man eternal glory, Krishna married more than one wife...so what do people follow? Would it be right for a man to marry more than one wife by taking Krishna as an example? After all, Krishna is also God.

I have a theory playing in my mind about this, but want to hear your explanations first.😳

-Janu

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

desigrl05 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Hmm...I don't know krishnaji's reasoning w/ all those wives..but i do remember something like he wanted everyone to feel happy as all the women wanted him as their husband...

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: desigrl05

Hmm...I don't know krishnaji's reasoning w/ all those wives..but i do remember something like he wanted everyone to feel happy as all the women wanted him as their husband...

Yeah, I know the stories behind his marrying so many. 16,000 of them were sages/sages wives from the Ram Avatar who wanted Ram as their husband in their next life, and the supreme 8 wives were all parts of Goddess Lakshmis.

But my question isn't that. I just want to know how a normal man would reason behind keeping one wife or marrying more than once, by taking either Ram or Krishna as example.
desigrl05 thumbnail
he would get a slap across his face if my husband tried to do that.. rofl.. bhagvaan ki baat alag hai.. they did set examples but i think more so the motive behind krishna was to tell ppl to be pious.. i personally think polygamy is wrong but i am no one to question the scripts but i guess i am somehwere shortenned in interepreting them :S
anku- thumbnail
Great topic Jaanu. My answer soonn =)
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
But... Krishna did a LOT of things that wouldn't make good examples for others to follow. He stole the gopis clothes as a kid, remember? And he bent the truth sometimes... he really isn't supposed to be an example for others to follow. That's what Maryada Purushottam Shri Ram was for. Krishna was supposed to be God on earth, not God as man on earth. There's a saying in Hindi, "Krishna ki kehni, Ram ki karni". Do as Krishna said, do as Ram did. When you see a woman in trouble, you're not going to be able to magically appear and extend her sari. But you can put in as much effort as it takes to get her rescued 😳 Most things that Krishna did are in fact things  humans can't do, so the intention really isn't to follow his example. Metaphysically speaking, Lord Vishnu is supposed to have 16 kalas - full-fledged Vishnu has 16/16 potencies. When he came down as Shri Ram, he had 12/16, so he was the perfect man. But as Krishna he brought down all 16 - he wasn't bound by the rules of nature or society, and he wasn't gonna pretend to be. His avtaar was meant to inspire awe and love and devotion - not set an example.

Did that do it ðŸ˜³
desigrl05 thumbnail
lola... you are so wise lol. im serious though..your interpretation of the scripts is really good
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Awww.... could you repeat that like 10 or 12 times, and maybe even in front of my Hindu Phil teacher 🤣 I'm blushing real hard right now, you da best Jhanz 🤗 But wait until you meet Shivang Bhaiya... Professor Sahab, the human encyclopedia 😆
desigrl05 thumbnail
^^toh phir prof. shivangji ko padharo
would lvoe to hear everyone's take..stretches the mind to think more :)
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Pranam beheno.😊 Jai Shri Krishna Jhanvi.😊

Lola madam you knew that "Let me write the name of Shivang bhaiya, so that would force him to post". Lol. You know motivating factors very well don't you?😉 I agree with word to word you said and particularly with a few punchlines. "God on earth not God as man on earth".

This is a brilliant topic I must say Janaki. Enjoyed your first post and will be waiting to know about your theory as well. Let me try to compile first my thoughts.

I know it would not be authentic to quote but in the novel Munshi's Krishnaavataar, he has envisioned Krishna's character beautifully with human logic. He has portrayed human Krishna (Had Krishna been having human limitations of knowledge but incarnated as a greatest hero on the earth to reestablish dharma still in the same sense and not like in SK or BRC MB knowing everything about the future). He has written (his imagination I am writing and not mythological truth 😊 - he he seemingly two contradicting words together but truth for faithful devotees so I have used them together) that Krishna was not willing to marry due to his aim of dharmasansthaapan. He was not willing to marry at all as he knew that he wouldn't be able to give time and justice and happiness to his wives because all the time he would be busy in his political aim (and also due to the same reason he convinced Radhaji and left her ensuring that she is strong enough to accept that reasoning with great understanding to give freedom to the lover). And then started one by one all detailed stories of his every single marriage (he has covered 4 of them) where he was forced to marry to save the lives. Even there he followed the dharma of God. Sharnaagat vatsal. Yato dharmah tato Krishnah. Yato Krishnah tato dharmah. Wherever dharma is, Krishna is. And whatever Krishna does is/becomes dharma. Just a bit qualifying Lola's statement, I believe even Krishna's actions are there to set the examples (of course other than those miracle way of actions) but not for everyone in all situations in generalized way without knowing his intentions and subtle knowledge behind those intentions in a particular situation. Krishna is not for a man in general to follow but the essence of his actions are meant to be understood and interpreted to be set deep down in our conscience somewhere rather than to be followed in the same birth or immediately in the same birth. He followed polygamy when it was clearly essential and spontaneous to save those 8 Lakshmi's incarnations also who otherwise didn't want to live without marrying him (that way novel portrays). And even Ramji has lied on certain occasions when it was not inappropriate to lie - the examples that I have listed in the Orkut thread 'when saying lie is appropriate'. Ramji stuck to his words and his father's words and promise throughout and he could do that without any harm to anybody's dharma but completely own sacrifice. Krishna twisted truths and also showed readiness to break the promise not for own selfish motive but for higher nobler cause. So I still don't see any real difference between their stances but just in the situations faced, stories surrounded and different eras.

Coming to the topic specifically, I wouldn't like to make any generalized statement whether monogamy is ideal moral and polygamy is immoral or vice versa IN ALL situations (Because Dashrathji, Vasudevji, Pandu, Arjun all good characters followed that royal culture/tradition for political friendship reasons or reasons of continuing the dynasty and for that getting many successors to ensure at least one deserving successor - And even Krishnaji not just did but SAID to Arjun to marry Subhadra and others for strong friendships with kingdoms despite knowing about his marriage with Draupadi. And I also don't really think that Ramji must have the intention of setting any morality example while giving that promise but he just expressed his own level of love for only Sitaji. It may be or may not be. I can't be 100% sure about this. As against that promise, he himself guides Shoorpankha howsoever jokingly though to go and propose Lakshman for marriage.). Still if concluding theory statement of my opinion is required, then "In TODAY's society and cultures, generalized morale should be monogamy with exceptionally allowed circumstances or stories". So I am not advocating polygamy actually but Krishna's situational intentions (of course who am I to do that but for the topic of discussion).😊 It is situational and either is right as long as any action you do is done with the intention of doing good to someone without harming or hurting the other one. There are many love triangle bollywood movies also in which, in the end, we feel that two sisters/friends could have happily lived together with one husband logically and the director could have given out of the box climax like the movie 'Daag' or 'Gharwali bahaarwali' rather than typical suicidal climax in most common movies when one of them essentially has to die (many movies to list possibly it can be) or sacrifice without dying (like the movie 'Basera' or 'Judai'). Most would agree to this feeling while watching movies. So that way I would say it is up to whether the wives themselves accept it or not and how they are ready to share their love or luck. If they are not ready to share, the first right is of first woman obviously. Here the morality of the second woman coming in life is also to be checked rather than just morality of husband doing second marriage about how far she was aware and in what situation she married to a married guy (And what is the present culture of the society - time and place).

In case of Sitaji, from what I remember is that Ramji gave the promise to her by way of a gift. A gift of total concentration on just one person given to that person and openly declared in public to ensure the knowledge of others about his further unavailability or locking 😃. (And in our culture now, the moment a guy is married that is locked by default so other women should immediately get red signal without any such promise given or oath made or declaration made).  And for him it proved to be of spiritual welfare decision all throughout and at no real place he had to break that promise for the better cause. Now if you compare this with Vasudevji, he had two wives and both proved to be useful for his dharma and welfare - one could stay with him in his support and one could stay safe and bring up their child. Had Ram also had two wives, one could be his sahdharmachaarini in vanvaas and other could stay to serve Kaushalya the way HE wanted. But that was not needed because other brothers had great serving wives anyway to serve Kaushalya ma.

And I am talking about monogamy vs polygamy and the irony is I am not going to follow any gamy.🤣 Krishnaji aur Ramji ke alawa Hanumanji bhi to the.😆

Edited by ShivangBuch - 13 years ago