Debate Mansion

long distance mariages/relationships

syrene thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
can long distance marriages/relationships really work? does absence make the heart grow fonder or is it a case of out of sight out of mind?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Me and my then boyfriend( now husband) were away from each other for 3 years . We communicated only through letters and brief phone calls.( that wasn't a popular internet age also then 😭 😭 .So no e-mails msn chat , skype etc ) It was tough . Every body around me betted that our relationship will be over within a few months.But we got married .

I think it varies from relationships to relationships. I have most often seen them not last than last .But then again it depends on the two people in the relationship.
hazelgirl thumbnail
i think distance does make the heart go fonder....... 😛 😛 😛 although it varies with diff ppl 😛
ME_T thumbnail
yeah i think it makes the heart grow fonder although some people may just forget them.
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I think its really hard to have a long distance realtionship. One can make the best out of the situation but that is still a huge sacrifice to make. After all, you want to be together and share the small things every day when its just the both of you.
It's harder still when you have a family to be concerned about or want to start a family? Who take the kids to school, who runs to the hospital when they are sick. Every little thing adds up.
Practical problems arise and keep bobbing their head ever so routinely, its hard to miss them and harder still ot not be irritated and say "bloody hell"

But then these are all things one does in life, if not these kind of problems maybe others, those that happen when you are together.

At the end of all of it, it's the person who makes everything special. If you lose out on the key ingrediant then no amount of catalyzing by being together will help.

Don't give up just because he wants to live on Mars and you want to be on Earth. Go for it, satellite communications shall also happen-
TiN24 thumbnail
True love shall concor all!

If you really love the person, understand the person and most importantly trust the person, then long-distance relationships should work. I think by staying away from the person you care about makes you miss them more and also makes you realize their worth and value. Meaning the more distance (if there is any) makes you realize how much importance that person has in your life and how much you really value them.

syrene thumbnail
thanks for u'r responses!
Edited by winnie_pooh - 18 years ago
syrene thumbnail
wow such lot of varied view points. rindam..very balanced view! indygirl am glad and happy to hear u made it despite the odds!
but not everyone can manage.... i was shocked to know recently that my friends husband who is in Dubai was living in with a nurse working there and they even had a child... all this while this gentleman still made his once in 2 yrs visits home too! on the other hand my cousin and her hubby have been maintaining a 13yr marriage of which the last 8 yrs they have been apart... and every time they see each other they are like newlyweds.

that was what prompted me to start this topic.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

This content was originally posted by: winnie_pooh

can long distance marriages/relationships really work? does absence make the heart grow fonder or is it a case of out of sight out of mind?

in my  opinion marriage is understanding each other feelings and trusting each other, if it not wrk properly.....smtime the result will be negtive....

will shed a million tears,

for just a smile from u,

I will giv a million years,

For just a moment with u...😳

Edited by Believe - 18 years ago
long distance relationship can only work out if there is a best level of understanding between the two....................
by that I mean that it isn't easy to carry a long term relationship based on such distances.......Now sometimes it could be possible due to the fact that the long term may be only for couple of years or so.....

but even though how ever the case will be the two has to reach to a mature understanding that now that they are in a relationship there should be loyalty towards eachother...... more than that comes trust thats like a conformed promise to your loved one that I will be faithful......Now curcumstances are the mother of all situations,eg loneliness can create a stir in a relationship where one feels it is not justified..... or maybe need company,the other is temptations........ Nowthis definatley don't see the difference between the married or the single, so that is one thing that can break apart what the two had build together for years. It is amazing how some can be happy even being lonely desperate just surving holding on to the precious memories.

So maybe what Iam trying to say is could it be possible if you were in that shoes,could you survive?