Phone call with Samta Sagar (Devki ji)

Naivedya thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Hello CBians. This past weekend a small group of friends and I had the wonderful opportunity to speak with Samta Sagar (Devaki ji of CB) via telephone. A close friend of Samta ji's introduced us to her and she was delighted to speak to each one of us individually! Samta ji was on her way to a shoot at the time the call was placed. She is an absolutely charming, sweet, humble, and intelligent lady. She allowed each of us to take turns speaking to her on the phone for as long as we wanted and she encouraged us to ask her questions about her work in CB and her new show Sanjog Se Bani Sangini. She told us that she's really enjoying working on SSBS, but misses her CB family dearly.  She fondly recounted some of her favourite scenes in CB.  The most touching part of the exchange for me personally was that Samta ji was every bit as interested to hear about me and what my likes and dislikes are as much as I was interested to hear about her! I praised her beautiful Hindi and Urdu shayari (poetry) and mentioned to her that I also love to write and have a background in literature. She encouraged me to keep up with my own writing and try to get it published! I truly felt as if I was speaking with a close friens on the phone!  What a down to earth, sincere, pure-hearted lady! Samta ji was incredibly appreciative of her fans and invited us to come meet her in person if ever we travelled to Mumbai. We felt a deep satisfaction after speaking with her. Just when we were about to let her get back to work, she surprised us and said there was someone with her who also wanted to speak with us...lo and behold, a powerful but kind voice echoed over the phone, "Radhe Radhe!" It was none other than Gopi Desai, who plays Amma ji in CB! At first we were a little shy and maybe even afraid to speak with Gopi ji, but once the conversation got rolling, she had us in stitches, promising us that she wouldn't shout at her "bahuriya" anymore! She spoke to me in English and I was impressed by her impeccable, polished speech and genuine politeness. I told her that when we viewers watch her as Amma on CB, our emotions flare up completely and consume us so much that we forget that Amma is a fictional character. Such is the life she breathes into the character to make her look and feel so real. This is all due to her top-notch, skillful acting. It was truly an honour and a privilege having the opportunity to speak to two of the industry's most seasoned actresses. After my conversation with these lovely ladies, I realized just how important an ensemble cast is to a TV serial's success. Yes, every serial has it's lead pairs who deserve the spotlight they're in, but the supporting cast is every bit as crucial to the show's success and harmony. They too deserve praise and recognition. My personal opinion is that CB is notorious for under-utilizing its cast, which is truly one of the most talented group of artistes in the industry today. They all work equally hard no matter how large or small their roles are. Each and every one of them deserves a thundering round of applause! Thank you Samta ji and Gopi ji for giving us your time! We truly enjoyed the experience of talking to you!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sunbeam09 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing Sandeepa di...........
liveforever thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing, Nice so you talked to our devkiji!
radev24 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Oh My God Sandeepa,

You know while your expressions and command over English is always commendable, what also touched my heart reading thru this history-making post is the absolute down-to-earth and beautiful personalities these two wonderful artists have, along with AVINA and rest of the awesome cast, I am sure  !!

Hats off to them and to you for allowing us to read between the words and lines, your feelings and experience !!  β­οΈβ­οΈπŸ‘πŸ‘ And so very much thanks for sharing your and your group's awe-inspiring experience ! πŸ€—

It is so great to know that Samtaji is an absolutely charming, sweet, humble, and intelligent lady. And that she's every bit as interested to hear about you and what your likes and dislikes are as much as you were interested to hear about her!

What a sincere and pure personality Samtaji seems to have !

Also reading it made me feel as if I ALSO spoke to them and as if I ALSO had that first-hand experience !  What a profound feeling ! Goes to show your ability to put your feelings and experience with them in a way that I could clearly see thru that, like an aaina, mirror !!  Wow !!

How lucky you all are !!  πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

I especially liked the following and how true it is that our "hatred" for amma's character only proves what a competent and accomplished actress Gopiji is to bring out in viewers such strong emotions.

I told her that when we viewers watch her as Amma on CB, our emotions flare up completely and consume us so much that we forget that Amma is a fictional character. Such is the life she breathes into the character to make her look and feel so real. This is all due to her top-notch, skillful acting.

Here's a thundering round of applause for each and every cast member of our fav CB !! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Edited by radev24 - 13 years ago
JustShanta thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
wow !!  i'm so happy you got that opportunity Sandeepa
good for you!! hope you are afforded the same with the lead pair ,   remember you posted ,your wish to meet them at least once in your lifetime . i say this 'big blue marble' is getting smaller & smaller.πŸ‘πŸΌ
xxxh-hxxx thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I'm really happy for you Sandeepa that you could talk to 2 great actresses. THanks for sharing your story with us.
Naivedya thumbnail
Thank you all for your sweet comments. You know, these artistes work so hard and for such long, gruelling hours. They absolutely love it when their fans shower them with praise and affection for their work. It gives them the enthusiasm to go on. But, they are regular people like you and me and don't want to be placed on any pedestals.  Samta ji is so approachable and humble and has a very pure quality about her. She is an absolute angel to speak with. With that one conversation I felt like I've known her for years!
evasumi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Dear Sandeepa..  Thank you so much for opening up this thread and penning down your wonderul experience with these awesome ladies...

Gosh when the phone was handed over to me...  and before I say anything Samtaji said Eva kaisi ho... tumse FB per to chat kar lati hu per aaj aapki awaz sunker bada accha laga..  (she said how are you eva...  I chat with you on FB but I am so happy to hear your voice....)

I was just speechless by her greetings!!!   I never in my entire life have ever imagine that I will be able to talk with Samtaji on phone..  What a pleseant surprise!!!   she was talking with me as if I have known her for years..  

Ladies her voice is sooo sweet and she is so full of laughter and smile and enthusiasm...  She talked so nicely...

When I told her that I loved her performance in the scene when Devki tells the truth as we were so much anticipating that scene..  She most humbly said that she does not think that she performs well but she was really glad to hear that I liked her performance.  She said after doing the scene she did not even see the video and she personally thanked me for uploading that video on my face book account.  She told me that she kept that with her and tells every one that I uploaded for her

My gosh I felt so honored..  When we told her that we all love her performance at IF she was overwhelmed and really appreicited the love of fans.   She is so down to earth and told me to come and visit her whenever I go to India.   Even told me Eva you have to come we will have lots of fun... Dekho bhulna nahi...  don't forget...

I was just amazed at the humbleness and totally friendly attitude of this wonderful actress..  

Ladies she is a great script writer and writes beautiful poetry.  She has done theaters and her hindi is just so sweet but not an ounce of pride..  Pure humbleness and sweetness but when you praise her she feels shy!!!!!

And when she said that she also has surprised for us...  I thought what it could be..  And Gopiji came on line...  I was so much in awe when I listen to her "Ammaji" voice..  I just could not believe when I told her that I loved her performance but just did not like the character and told her that she has put so much life in that character that we just did not want to see ammaji troubling Devkiji and Radh...  but I love her speech and her VR type accents..  She was happy to hear that...  but I felt so bad for telling her that but the graciious lady said Thank you eva i trully appreciate your comments..   as for an actress it is an honor that people know her by the character.    and as she is Gujarati I started talking to her in gujarati..  She was happy and said of course I will talk with you in Gujarati..  She asked me the details and told me hers....  And chatted with me like an old friend.  I even teased her that Ammaji appki poti ko kahan gum kar diya...  she just started laughing...  I even told her not to scold her bahuria..  She said she will not but let them do what they want to do..

OMG I loved talking with Samtaji and Gopiji... they are such a lovely ladies with nice and humble persona.  

Yes it is so tough to play the negative roles and these actors take so much risk with their career to be hated by their audience.  

Sandeepa I totally agree with you that a show thrives not only on the performance of the lead actors but this supporting actors too..  they put their sweat and blood to support the lead actors so that they can shine.   Without the support of these supporting actors and their awesome performance the story will hardly move  and the show will pack up in few months.. 

Yes CB has really really wonderful team of casts from lead actors to the supporting actors. 

I think DJ production should be thankful to the hard working of these wonderful actors to make their show such a huge success and so we should do it too..  We also need to appreciate this group of supporting actors who help to carry the load of the story on their shoulders too.  And along with DJ we also have underestimated their hard work and dedication

I personaly would like to thank you my friend to make it possible for us to talk with these wonderful ladies and to Samtaji and Gopiji to give us their precious time to talk with them as much as we wanted to and dear Gopiji even tolerated when we told her that we do not like ammaji to trouble Devkiji and Radh...  she said nahi karungi...   for me it was very memorable evening and I immensely enjoyed talking with them... 

Thank you Dear Samtaji and Gopiji for giving me your precious time....

Edited by evasumi - 13 years ago
lbansi369 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Thank you Sandeepa for sharing this experience with us.

billo77 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
WOW Thats so cool !! Your so lucky Sandeepa they sound like two wonderful ladies , 😊
Did Samtaji mention anything about returning to Choti bahu??
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experienceπŸ˜ƒ
Edited by billo77 - 13 years ago