Writers Corner: Books, Stories & Poems

Short Story: Youth Experiences

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago

Hey all ! 😊

I am so very bored of the usual romantic stuff I write. SERIOUSLY! I had been thinking to try a new genre, and so I wrote this. I really am not sure as to how would this proceed further but this is certainly no romantic story.

I will try and pen down the life stories of two contradictory girls and alongside, how their lives collide with a mysterious fellow's.

Short Story: Youth Experiences

List of Characters

Adara

Simple and intellectual, she is a 15 years old daughter to a divorced mother.

Sofia

Pampered and innocent, the 16 years old school head girl is quite spoiled.

Aman:

Mysterious and flirtatious, the fellow is the son to a rich business tycoon.

_________

Adara:

I believe, this is my first ever birthday without Dad. Gosh, I miss the fatherly warmth, I miss that assuring smile and most of all I miss a happy mom. She's not with dad anymore. I am not with my father any more and my mother has bid adieu to happiness. I am afraid; she'd never fall in love again. I'm afraid, she might never forgive dad.

I forgave him the day he came to me and apologized for what had happened on my last birthday. I met with my dad's new love then. You have NO idea how bad I felt and it's hard for me to imagine what must have been my mother's situation.

My birthday night, I lay in bed wide awake; trying to figure out what went wrong. I always supposed my parents were a happy couple. Just then, my thoughts got halted abruptly as I heard someone opening the door of my room.

As the person walked on the velvety pink carpeted floor, I realized who it was. My dad! I stood up erect with a jerk and switched the table lamp on. Dad passed on his it's-me smile and sat next to me on the bed, caressing my hand. I moved my hand away and asked him to leave. That was the only time I was rude to my dad.

"Listen, sweetheart." He told and I looked away. "Life can never be as perfect as we suppose it to be. I loved your mom but, maybe . . . the feeling's over now. I don't feel the same anymore. If you think I cheated on her then you are right, I did. But if I would have chosen to stay with her like that, without any feeling then also, I would have been cheating on her. And that would have been painful for all three of us." He added.

With eyes, all moist, I looked up to him and asked, "Do you love me, dad or is that feeling also over?"

"Of course, I love you Adara! You are my daughter. The day you were born, exactly 14 years back that is, was the best day of my life. I can never forget how it felt to be a father." He said and looked up to the picture frame hanging on the fall in which he and mom were holding on to my hands, when I was three or so.

"I don't know what to say, Papa." I said and dug my face in my hands.

"Love, listen! You are and will always be my daughter. You can live with whoever you wish too after my divorce with your mother."

"She needs me more than you do! I would live with her." I said flatly, yet firmly.

"Your wish." He said and smiled at me. "Remember, I am a friend to your mother and am your father, always. I'm sorry for the turnaround you are going to face in near future. Pardon me for that once, Adara! I know I can't make up for the misery I have caused to you both." He said and a lone tear escaped his eye.

"It's alright, dad. I wish you and Alvira a very happy life ahead. I will miss you!" I said and took my dad in embrace. That was the very last time I met him.

And as he had already told me about the major "turnaround" I would be facing, I boosted myself and made Adara, the baby girl turn into a strong willed teenager who had a mother to be with. A person I was supposed to stand with all through her thick and thin.

Sofia:

Bloody hell! I wonder, what do these school people think of themselves? How am I supposed to be the head girl? Alright, I like attention and people buzzing like bees around me but HEAD GIRL? It brings fame and a lot of responsibility alongside. SHIT!

I hate responsibilities and especially after the continuous lecture Grappy used to give me. Grappy was my Grandfather who passed away some days back. I miss him so much!

I remember all that he told me about the damned responsibilities, f**king "crude facts", godforsaken "stark reality" and whatnot and trust me; I tried understanding them because I loved Grappy a LOT! But well, that isn't ME! Me = shopping, singing, make up and soft toys. Not to forget – Hunks!! *smirks*

Well, you see life is something you really can't be sure about! Then, I wonder why in the very first place people think of the Grappy philosophies. How can one be so sure of the indefinite and unlikely likely, whatever things to happen! Aah!

I don't get a thing, man! Why can't we just enjoy life? It's kind of short, right? Whatever! Well, I live for the moment and I strongly believe that this attitude of mine would help me reach the peak of glory! My aim – the stage, microphone, guitar, glossy clothes and the star . . . SOPHIA!!  

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Index:
Chapter One - Page One
Chapter Two - Page Six
Edited by -Kanky- - 13 years ago
Arushi. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
*Reserved* πŸ€—

It seems to be a really nice concept. A major break from all the romantic stuffs to me as a reader also.

Im coming in with my two cents on the character one by one :)

Adara:

Sometimes, life makes us mature in a matter of mintues and that is what has happened with her too. She suddenly grew up, no more will she fuss about the differences in baby pink or hot pink, its life for her now, starting now. A life that usually starts, say about after college.

The seperation of parents is one thing that no child ever gets over. I have seen friends go through it, and their pain numbs me.. so I cant even think of possibly articulating how they feel, or how high the disbelieif and sense of betrayal is. Its natural for the child to side with the parent who had no reason in the divorce, and I understand the fathers plight too. Nothing ever means more to a father than his daughter-his own blood, soul, flesh and love. Fathers can do anything or say anything, but anything that hurts their daughters faces a wrath. And that is why it was so necessary for him to seek her forgiveness, to warn her of the ordeals ahead, to tell her that no matter what he will respect her decision, and to lead her life happily without any grudges, so that she learns to trust later in life, and not be wary of relationships, or well, committment.

Nice character :)

Sophia:

Hmm, she is the usual, star of the school, the eye candy with guys swooning, girls dying of jealousy, and madam doesnt have a care in the world ! Ufff ! She doesnt understand the higher truths of life, and its not because she cant, but only because she probably doesnt want to. Her interest doesnt life in these things, she would rather read a fashion magzine than read couplets of Rumi, she would rather go to a concert than listen to people blabbering about the well, 'truths of life'. Yeah right, as if she needs that, she believes what she is doing is right and that it will take her somewhere. Hmmm, every attitude leads us somewhere, now its upto us to make that into a downfall or the opposite. She shirks away from responsblity, only because that requires effort, effort which she is not ready to put in, just yet, because that requires time... and well for her time has better utilisation purposes ! Aaah, hmm.. lol

But there is a sensitive side to her. We all share a little thing called heart, and no matter how dffferent we might be, or how much we would like to portay that.. the heart calls us back to the ground all the time. Her missing of her deceased Grandfather, and her trying to show interest into what he was saying only 'cause she really loved him speaks volumes !

I'd be waiting for you to dwell more on her character, and bring out the softness in her, which is very much present, behind that air head ;)

All in all, a really wonderful start. Will be waiting to read more :)

Much Love,
Arushixxxx
Edited by Arushi. - 13 years ago
Escapist thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
I'm in for it ....
seems to be a good story
finally a bit different from mere romance !!

-fatima
Edited by -shabnoor- - 13 years ago
MaddyStilinski thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Res..

Edit-
This is the first time I'm reading a story written by you,and I have to say The way you have described each character is simply amazing..It's very beautifully written,even I write stories but I'm no where close to this..Seriously Loved ItπŸ‘
Edited by maddi1994 - 13 years ago
KaSh-Maneet-Fan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Awesome concept
Different
Can't wait 2 read more
Con soon
Thanks 4 da pm
Faria. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Hi kanky
good story
a different one
do continue it
sreevijayan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
awesome  dear...........
Mou. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
okki always appreciate ur trying to write in different genre.as a writer u must go for it... But one thing..don't just start writing & stop it at the middle .....it became painful for us readers. u started an wonderful story of a young single mom.u hvn't update it for long so i said that..i hope u will understand .......so sorry if i hurt u..........i really wanna read this different kind of stories & loved that concept .
coming to this one ...it is also very interesting..this two gal has completely different back ground but somehow i feel they hv some thing common between them .which will connect them both.Adara's story moved me a lot.
update soon & sorry once again if i hurt u!!!!!!!
Beet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Kanks it is a very unique and awesome idea,
Brilliantly written.

You portrayed both the cases very well
Great job.
Continue soon.

Loads of love
Daania.