Kasamh Se (Kasam Se)

Prachi Desai Interview part 1 & part 2

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
"I didn't have to worry about kissing in OUATIM" - Prachi Desai [Part I]

An SMS can truly reveal an individual's personality. Well, for most of the times. This is how I felt when I first started interacting with Prachi Desai. I missed it during her initial brush with Bollywood with Rock On and Life Partner but this was not going to be the case with Once Upon A Time in Mumbaai. We exchanged a few texts and the content that followed revealed a couple of characteristic traits. Firstly, the language ensured that she would be a sweet and simple person to talk to. Secondly, a free use of words meant that it is also going to be a long and lively conversation.

Never mind the to-and-fro that happened, the wait was truly worth it as Prachi ended up being someone you would love to hang out with and have an engaging conversation over a coffee. Presenting Part I of the conversation that transpired.

You played a young, sweet and simple married girl in Rock On and followed it up with Life Partner where you were again a young married girl next door. Now you are a middle class girl next door in Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai. Don't you get worried with the thoughts of getting typecast in such roles?
Initially it was more of a problem when it came to getting typecast especially since I was just getting out of television medium. In fact I consciously took on roles which were not very mature. I am 21 right now and was just 19 when I did Rock On. I didn't want to do any mature roles at this age. If I do that now, I would have done that; there wouldn't have been anything left to do tomorrow when I grow up.

But don't you want to experiment?
Of course all actors want to experiment so that audience do not get bored. However, each and every actor has to look at a specific genre, especially in the early years. This is what I did for my first couple of films but yes, now is the time to bring about that change. Through OUATIM, I can hopefully see a change in image because audience will get to know that I can be a lot different.

The obvious response that I am expecting from you is that the film turned out to be a fulfilling experience. So should I ask - 'How was the experience of working in OUATIM?'
(Laughs) Well, how much fulfilling it actually was is something that would be known once the film releases. Let these next few days pass and we will know what the film and my role is all about. However, personally as an actor, this film has been extremely satisfying. Still, one can't be sure of audience reception because in Bollywood, due to the kind of career and job option that you have, the journey ahead is always so much uncertain. It is something today and altogether different tomorrow. You may have your own reasoning and still changes could be so drastic. You can just plan but it could all be of no use. Aaj kuch hai aur kal kuch aur.

Even with so much all around uncertainty, you must have been sure about one thing at the least and i.e. a passionate sequence with Serial Kisser Emraan Hashmi, isn't it? Since you are known to be averse to display of skin and moments of lip lock, did you actually get it written in your contract that there won't be any kissing scenes involved?
You are trying to make it out as a big scandal where there wasn't any actually (smiles). In fact I always laughed this out because right from the very beginning, Milan (Luthria) was very clear about my role and the film. He knew that with this film, he would be changing the typical way of making gangster films. I too was extremely sure of what I had to do in the film and carried no doubts about it. So yes, to answer your question, I didn't have to explicitly ask him or put down that whether I had to do any kissing scenes or not. I wasn't worried because I knew that wouldn't be the case.

He knew that with this film, he would be changing the typical way of making gangster films

While Milan may have been flexible enough to allow you to do things your own way or don the kind of outfit where you felt comfortable, not all filmmakers can be expected to be accommodating in a similar manner. In fact some may even term this as interference.
See, I am a director's actor and would never want to interfere with his vision. This is why I have never requested anything to be changed in the script of any of my films. However, there are some matters where you have be yourself because they deal with the way you are presented on screen. Some actors don't mind that because they are new and feel that that it's okay to consent to everything. But sorry, I am not that kind of a person. Milan understands this fact and due to his truthful nature, he was extremely clear about what he wanted. In fact for the Bobby sequence, he gave us a month to prepare so that Emraan could get his six abs and I could be leaner.

Did you know about the Bobby sequence though where you had to get into Dimple Kapadia's outfit?
I knew about the Bobby sequence but I didn't have to ask anyone about the explicit details. I didn't have to worry about the length of the dress or how I would look on screen because I knew that Milan would bring the best out of me. I knew that he won't misuse the sequence for the sake of it. Otherwise I would have been caught in an earlier situation that I had faced for one of my films where all of a sudden, I was told right on the sets that the next day I had to wear a particular outfit.

What was this incident? And how did Prachi really cope with the situation? Also, is Prachi having that someone special in her life who makes her heart go boom? To know all of this and more, visit this space for Part II of the conversation.

Edited by Salmanayesha - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rockyy_ thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Good to see she is sticking to her principles and not doing everything

that is asked of her.

Good article, looking forwards to read part 2.

Take care.
jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
thanx for the article..
will be waiting for the part 2

Fishfish thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
As Kantaben said, our Prachi has grown up, I must say though I am yet to see the film I would like her to succeed as rockon though was a huge hit did nothing for her career and LP the less said about it is better.  She was excellent I hear so lets see how her career shapes up....

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
"Real or reel image of an actor doesn't make any difference" - Prachi Desai: Part II

Prachi Desai is expectedly cheerful. Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai has clicked with the audience as well as critics while Prachi's act too has been appreciated despite this Milan Luthria film being a gangster flick with men (Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi, Randeep Hooda) leading from the front. Her good run is continuing as now, after Rock On and Life Partner, she has her third film in a row all set to be a winner at the box office. While it is a 'khushi' situation for her currently, it was some 'gham' for her not too many moons ago. As she had mentioned in the first part of this conversation with Joginder Tuteja, though getting into a 'Bobby outfit' wasn't a surprise for her, there was 'not quite a decent proposal' made to her in one of her earlier outings. She was required to get into a particular outfit which wasn't comfortable enough for her liking. In the second and concluding part of the conversation, Prachi talks about what had gone wrong and how she handled the situation.

In Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai, did you know about the Bobby sequence where you had to get into Dimple Kapadia's outfit?
I knew about the Bobby sequence but I didn't have to ask anyone about the explicit details. I didn't have to worry about the length of the dress or how I would look on screen because I knew that Milan (Luthria) would bring the best out of me. I knew that he won't misuse the sequence for the sake of it. Otherwise I would have been caught in an earlier situation that I had faced for one of my films where all of a sudden, I was told right on the sets that the next day I had to wear a particular outfit.

Which was this film?
(Hesitates) Let it go.

Ok, what was the incident?
I had never worn an outfit like that ever in my life and here the makers told me to come prepared for the shoot the next day. I was not just shocked but also felt so scared. I was just wondering that how would I look, how would people feel and so on. Today when I look back, I think it was just right on my part not to consent to their demands. I am glad that I kept my foot down. Even though I was in an early stage of my career, there is a certain sense of realisation that I had as an actor. I knew where the line was, what was necessary and what was not. If I would have worn that outfit, I would have looked foolish on screen.

Well, you don't look foolish in the Bobby sequence...
It happens with actors that if they are doubtful about wearing something, it reflects in their performance and audience also catch it there and then. This is the reason why for the Bobby sequence in OUATIM, the discomfort looks so real because that's the kind of person I am in real life. I didn't have to work towards getting the right emotions and only had to concentrate on acting natural. This is the reason why the scene looks so real.

This is the reason why for the Bobby sequence in OUATIM, the discomfort looks so real because that's the kind of person I am in real life

...and cute too?
(Smiles) I am glad that you said this. See, we had this idea with us and pondered over how we got it running in the film because on one hand I was playing such a conservative girl while on the other hand, Shoaib's character (enacted by Emraan) was so erratic. He is a street hooligan so you can well imagine the kind of relationship between them where I am so shy while he is a brat.

Also, the era gone by was conservative as well.
Exactly, you could not be so open in the 70s. Let aside wearing revealing costumes in real life, you couldn't even be seen with a guy. This is why a lot of innocence had to be woven around the sequence by making it sweet and harmless rather than erotic. It all fitted in because Bobby was a huge rage then and hence the whole sequence of Emraan buying a similar outfit and expecting me to wear it just for his eyes made so much of sense. I too was comfortable since there is a lot of trust I have in Milan. After working in three films, I know that you need to have an extremely good rapport with the director to shed your inhibitions.

To be doing so with a co-star like Emraan was also a big deal, isn't it?
(Laughs) It doesn't make any difference in how actors are in real life or in reel life earlier. What is of utmost important is the right casting for a particular film and this is what has worked in case of OUATIM. In a setting that is so dark, it is this relationship between Emraan and I that brings in certain lightness to the proceedings. This is the reason why songs too are getting so much appreciation because they pretty much reflect the different characteristics of the two individuals.

Okay, then why don't you talk about the individual who makes Prachi's heart go boom?
(Smiles) Yes, there is someone out there but I guess it is still too early to state anything. May be I will open up about everything later in the day.

You seem to be really hesitant Prachi. Why is that so, especially when you are in the world of glamour where an artist's private life is anyways open to public scrutiny?
Yes, I agree. In fact as a little child, even I used to be very curious to know about what was going on in the personal lives of actors. After all we actors are in constant limelight 24X7 so it becomes even tougher to admit to something. Ab jab meri baari aayi hai toh I want to be spoken about only for my work!

jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
thanx for the remaining inetrview....