Michael Jackson Death Anniversary

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 13 years ago

A flood of tributes will take place this weekend to mark the one-year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death. (Joel Ryan/Associated Press)Tributes to Michael Jackson are rolling out to mark the one-year anniversary of the King of Pop's death.

Jackson's childhood hometown of Gary, Ind., is holding a candlelight vigil and tribute Friday at the family's former home, which has been spruced up for the occasion.

The event is expected to draw thousands, with Jackson's mother, Katherine, and niece Genevieve to attend on behalf of the family, said Mayor Rudy Clay.

Earlier this month, Clay was joined by Jackson's father, Joe, in announcing that plans for a Jackson family performing arts centre and museum were moving ahead.

Fans are also expected to gather Friday for a memorial at Forest Lawn cemetery in Glendale, Calif., where Jackson is buried.

Katherine Jackson, who is also legal guardian over her late son's three young children, has also given her blessing to Forever Michael, a tribute concert scheduled for the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. on Saturday.

Partial proceeds from the concert are earmarked for the Jackson Family Foundation and the singer's favourite charities.

"I know that Michael would be very honoured and very pleased that his fans all over the world are coming together to celebrate his life," Mrs. Jackson said in an online video, alongside the concert's organizer, Joseph Fahmy.

She added her thanks to fans for the support they've shown her family since her son's death on June 25, 2009, at age 50.

Katherine Jackson, mother of the late pop star Michael Jackson, has given her approval to some of the tribute events.Katherine Jackson, mother of the late pop star Michael Jackson, has given her approval to some of the tribute events. (Chris Carlson/Associated Press)Jackson's mother will also be seen on Dateline NBC on Friday in Michael Jackson: A Mother's Story, an interview conducted by Sonia Lowe, who has just co-written a book with her.

Other tributes include a new Jackson 5 exhibit ' featuring photos, awards and costumes ' on display at the Motown Historical Museum in Detroit and the singing group the Commodores releasing a new version of their song Nightshift with some lyrics rewritten to honour Jackson.

This week, a number of published reports have detailed the remarkable success of Jackson's estate in settling his precarious finances over the past year.

Before his death, Jackson faced a debt estimated at more than $400 million US and was still dogged by allegations of child abuse.

However, thanks to sensitive but saavy deals made by the executors of his estate ' longtime associates John Branca and John McClain ' the iconic pop star's troubled finances are nearly settled.

Aside from the skyrocketing sales of Jackson's music immediately after his death, the executors approved the quickly released This Is It theatrical documentary film, drawn from rehearsal footage from his planned London concert series, a lucrative long-term record and licensing deal with Sony Music, as well as creative partnerships with the likes of Cirque du Soleil and Ubisoft (for Jackson-themed shows and a dance video game, respectively).

"To this day there's interest in Elvis. And I think there will be enduring interest in Michael," John Branca said at the time the Sony deal was announced in March.

"It's our job to continue to expose Michael to new generations."

Billboard magazine has also been releasing a host of Jackson-related statistics ahead of his first death anniversary, including that Say Say Say, his 1983 hit with Paul McCartney, was his most popular top 10 hit, followed by Billie Jean, the Jackson 5's I'll Be There, Beat It and Rock With You.

In mid-June, Ubisoft announced it was working on a new Michael Jackson video game in which players will learn his signature dance moves.In mid-June, Ubisoft announced it was working on a new Michael Jackson video game in which players will learn his signature dance moves. (Adam Lau/Associated Press) With files from The Associated Press

Edited by xoHarshaxo - 13 years ago

BIOGRAPHY on Michael Jackson

The Bio History of Michael Joseph Jackson began when he was born on the 29th of August 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He was the 7th of nine children. (brothers: Sigmund "Jackie", Toriano "Tito", Jermaine, Marlon, Steven "Randy", and sisters Rebbie, Janet and La-Toya Jackson.

Michael began his musical career at the age of 5 as the lead singer of the Jackson 5 who formed in 1964. In these early years the Jackson 5, Jackie, Jermaine, Tito, Marlon and lead singer Michael played local clubs and bars in Gary Indiana and moving further afield as there talents grew and they could compete in bigger competitions. From these early days Michael would be at the same clubs as big talented stars of there days, such as Jackie Wilson and would be learning from them even back then.

In 1968 the Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers discovered the Jackson five and from there they got an audition for Berry Gordy of Motown Records. The Jackson 5 signed for Motown and moved to California. Their first 4 singles, "I Want You Back", "ABC", "The Love You Save", and "I'll Be There" all made US No1 hits. The Jackson 5 recorded 14 albums and Michael recorded 4 solo albums with Motown.

The Jackson 5 stayed with Motown until 1976, wanting more artistic freedom they felt they had to move on and signed up with Epic. The group name Jackson 5 had to be changed as it was owned by Motown, so they reverted to The Jacksons as they had be known in the early days. Brother Jermaine married Berry Gordy's daughter and stayed with Motown. Youngest brother Randy joined in his place. The Jacksons had a number of hit records and in total made 6 albums between the years of 1976 and 1984.

In 1977 Michael made his first film debut when he starred in the musical 'The Wiz' playing Scarecrow with Diana Ross in the lead role of Dorothy. It was at this time Michael met Quincy Jones who was doing the score for the film.

Michael teamed up with Quincey Jones as his producer for his first solo album with Epic Records. The album titled "Off The Wall" was a big success around the world and the first ever album to release a record breaking 4 No1 singles in the US.

In 1982 Michael Jackson released the world's largest selling album of all time, 'Thriller'. This album produced 7 hit singles, breaking yet again more records, and went on to sell over 50 million copies worldwide. Michael was keen to use music video or short films as he called them to promote his singles from the album. He worked with the best directors and producers, using the latest technology and special effects for the hit song 'Billie Jean' The short film 'Thriller' used the latest make-up artists technolgy combined with fantastic dancing and cherography, to produce a 14 minute video, with a start, a middle and an ending. So successful was this video that 'The Making Of Michael Jackson's Thriller' became the world's largest selling home video combined with soaring album sales. In 1983 Michael performed the now legendary moonwalk for the first time on the 'Motown 25 years' anniversary show. This performance alone set Michael undoubtable into the realm of a superstar.

In 1984 Michael won a record breaking 8 Grammy awards in one night. The awards were for his work on the 'Thriller' album and his work on the narrative for the 'ET Storybook'.

On December 9th 1984 at the last concert of the Jackson's Victory Tour, Michael announced he was splitting from the group and going solo.

In 1987 Michael released his much awaited third solo album, titled 'Bad', and lauched his record breaking first solo world tour. 1988, Michael wrote his first autobiography, Moonwalk, talking for the first time on his childhood and his career. At the end of the 1980s Michael was named 'Artist Of The Decade' for his success off of his 'Thriller' and 'Bad' albums.

In 1991 Michael signed with Sony Music the largest ever recording contract and released his fourth solo album, 'Dangerous'. He toured world again in 1992, taking his concerts to countries that had never before been visited by a pop/rock artist. Also Michael founded the 'Heal the World Foundation' to help improve the lives of children across the world.

In 1994 Michael married Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of rock legend Elvis Presley. The marriage only lasted for 19 months, as they divorced in 1996.

1995 saw Michael release a fifth solo album, 'HIStory', which was a double album, first half new material and second half half greatest hits. Michael toured again over a legs covering a 2 year period. In between legs of the tour on November 14th 1996, Michael married for his second time to Debbie Rowe who was a nurse that Michael had met in the treatment of his skin pigment disorder. Together they had their first child Prince Michael Joseph Jackson jr born on February 13 1997 and a daughter Paris Michael Katherine Jackson born on April 3rd 1998.

In 1997 Michael released the remix album 'Blood On The Dance Floor' which also contained 5 new song linked with a 38min film "Ghosts". This film Michael played 5 roles using the latest special effects and make-up artistry, combined with his dance and music.

In September, 2001 Michael celebrated his 30th anniversary as a solo artist with two concerts to be held in New York, USA. Many artists such as Whitney Houston, Usher, Destinys Child, Shaggy and many more performed there own and Michael Jacksons past songs. Michael then reunited with all of his brothers and performed there biggest hits. Michael then went onto perform solo some of his biggest hits.

In October 2001 Michael released the album 'Invincible' releasing only 2 singles including the big hit "You Rock My World". Shortly after the albums release there were rumours of a rift with Sony Music and a clear lack of promotion of the album. The second single "Cry" was released with a very poor music video which did not feature Michael and no other singles were released.

In November 2003 a new single "One More Chance" was released as a single and was also a track on new compilaition album "Number Ones".

In March 2009, Michael annouced a shock comeback tour at the O2 Arena in London to start in July 2009, intially for 10 dates but the total grew to a sold out 50 dates with over 750,000 tickets sold. All sold tickets sold out within minutes of being released.

On June 25th 2009 Michael Jackson died suddenly of a reported cardiac arrest. He was 50 years old.

For a more indepth biographical look at Michael Jacksons life read the following era's;

My Lifetime with MICHAEL JACKSON, A Homage to the 'Moonwalker'

A True Fan

MICHEAL JACKSON DEAD

Those were and are still the most shocking headlines for me right now in 2009. They honestly don't make much sense when I look at them together'because I honestly don't remember living in a time without Michael Jackson.  Even if he wasn't making headlines, or making good ones (which is a whole other discussion), I knew I could count on feeling the presence of Michael in the world,

Michael Jackson 1958-2009

somehow, sometime, if not just from hearing one of his many hits on the radio in a day, or if I so decided to swim in my puddles of joyful nostalgia (which I often do) and pull "The History" up on my itunes on my morning commute to work.

There's nothing like the joy, or revelry, or pensive introspection that comes usually with the melodies that only a Michael Jackson song can conjure up from within us.

Funny I should mention that previous statement.   June 25, 2009, was actually one of those days that I felt the "inert" desire bubbling from deep within me to "Swim in my puddles of nostalgia" and hear some Jackson Five!  It's wild!  I was even irritated with myself for not having my Jackson Five hits album imported into my computer already when I went to look for it.  So promptly, I imported my Jackson Five fix and uploaded my favorites of it (the majority) into my ipod with the "grand" idea of playing them poolside.

Yes, I was debuting my "poolside-wear" for the first time this summer, in the company of a dear new friend, and her lovely friend who cordially invited me to come to a posh, pool-spot in the "Uptown" area of Denver that afternoon. The day itself was overshadowed by an "ominous" cloud cover.  We set up shop by the pool anyhow.  The crowd soon loving the Jackson Five coming from our ipod speakers, Air-drum action and all.  How little did we know.

Grace

Amazing because, that "ominous cloud-cover" became completely sure of rain. As we sang along to the soulful plea of "Who's Lovin You," drops began to fall from the sky. We wrapped swiftly as the drops increased in speed and mass.  That was only the beginning of Mother Nature's Monsoon tribute, which then continued to pour out what seemed to be symbolic of the tears that would later well from the depths of every Michael Jackson fans' soul in the world.

Needless to say, that Monsoon would soon become a great flash-flood, that would have me pulling over to "wait-out" the blow-over, and, subsequently, ending up stranded at a local grocery store one mile from my home, for over an hour.  Never had I experienced a flood like that. This day and the following, the world will cry for Michael.

Michael Jackson was a phenomenon from his birth, and my introduction to music appreciation.  What's funny is, as a young child, a pre-schooler in the 80's, naturally, I never knew Michael as the cute little black boy from the Jackson Five.  Yet he existed in my life for as long as  I could remember.  For me, he was first and foremost, The Moonwalker.  At that stage, he was already world-reknowned, and still rising.  To me then, he was my "hero" and future "husband." Lol.

'Moonwalker.' Note: Whoever finds this DVD for me is my new best friend!

He was ALSO the one and only NON-cartoon movie that I would LIVE and BREATHE to watch all the way through.  Moonwalker was iconic even in 1987.  It was the ultimate Friday "special treat" in my predominantly black pre-school environment: my teachers would bargain,  "If ya'll are good, we can watch Moonwalker!"   I remember, my childhood friends and I in pre-school, cheering with the utmost joy, just waiting to see the first music-video clip of MJ on the screen, so we could dance and sing along with it.

I remember, "Man In the Mirror" had to be one of the 1st songs of his that I memorized the lyrics to, because it was always the 1st video shown on the Moonwalker.  As a black child growing up in Denver, Colorado, where our numbers were few and far between, Michael united us.  All of us, little black babies, and white and latino babies alike, we came together in song, dance and celebration whenever  Michael shouted out the prominent hooks of "Bad", "Beat It",  "Billy Jean", "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "Thriller."

I remember when watching the Moonwalker, watching the kids' rendition of "Bad" in complete envy, and wanting SO badly to be one of those kids in the Michael video, just to feel he knew me.  I already felt like I knew him' after the Moonwalker, what more does one need to know of Michael? Lol.  What ever the case, we all thought those kids dancing in the video were by far, the coolest kids in the world.  Who could forget the "Can you Feel It" video, the Jackson's emulating the "Creation Story!"  Now that's one video, that my brother and I thought we were both in.  Like he could touch us, and we him.  That's one that slipped under the radar, and it's absolutely incredible and worthy of mention.  He had such a love for us as children.  I knew it even back then, I could feel it.  Michael was everything magic after Disney. Outside of family, Michael Jackson was my first hero, and I wanted to be his friend, or girlfriend. :)

Michael J Barbie!

I was a BARBIE fiend, like many of us "girly-girls" were'perfectly content when armed with a little briefcase full of barbie dolls and barbie clothing.  Back then, boys who were "cool" played with action figures, and would wince at the thought of even being caught holding a barbie doll.  There was however one exception, and that was if you were the bearer of the Michael Jackson Thriller Doll.  Michael had a barbie, and my brother was given one.  His instant joy upon recieving the only doll he ever owned was indescribable.   He loved the Michael doll, and he was "cool" for having one.

Later on however, his need for that Michael doll fell away as things do when we get older, and so I adopted it into my collection, and was dawned yet another gift of Michael Jackson soon after.  I visited family in New York one summer when I was about 8 years old or so, and a family friend, a preteen girl by the name of Angel, gave me a mixtape that included Michael's "Bad" album.  It was among the first cassete tapes of music that I owned.

So when I got home, I had a soundtrack for my barbie "sagas."  I would sit in my room for hours, creating dramas between my barbies.  I would have my Michael entertain them. Sometimes he would be included in the drama, love triangles and such, and when he would choose a love himself, "Liberian Girl" was often the song of choice for the occasion.  :)   That was one of the first of his "love songs" that I fell in love with. Also, I'd like to note, that there's no other artist I know of that has ever expressed romantic love for an" African" beauty.

What he does best!

Even now, I still believe that the R&B love ballads and songs of Michael Jackson are some of the greatest of our time. He knew the kind of love he wanted and he knew how to make people want it from him.  He was sexy.  That's an undeniable fact. I feel these songs are often over-looked, and overshadowed and of course they would be when you look at his "more prominent" works.  Still always remember "Lady In My Life" ,"Remember the Time", "Who Is It", "In the Closet", "Liberian Girl", "She's Out of My Life", "I Just Can't Stop Loving You","Give In To Me", "You are not Alone", "You Rock My World", "Butterflies", "Heaven Can Wait" and "Break of Dawn."

In the Moonwalker, there is a snippet of Michael and the Jackson Five.  They do this clay-animation forma'ge that's really awesome as they run through "ABC," "Rockin Robin" and "Dancing Machine" and have Michael explaining as a child, his big heart for all the world.  I was watching that at home, and I asked my mother about that "boy," that boy is Michael Jackson too mommy?  She then

The Jackson Five, Who's dat boy in the middle? :)

proceeded to educate me on the Jackson Five by watching the "Jackson Five Cartoon" with me.  I was an instant fan, relating all the more to Michael as a child, because he was a child too!

I think every child growing up then wanted to dance like Michael.  And thus we are a generation of dancers.  Michael Jackson made it the coolest thing to do.  He was "it."  Every girl wanted to be WITH him, and every boy wanted to BE him. He could do no wrong in our eyes, and everyone, other celebrities he was friends with were liked because if Michael liked them, they must be cool.

There was so much variety to his music. In SO MANY ways, I could define myself, my feelings on an issue, with a song by Michael Jackson.  I'm not the only one that felt that way, and  that is in fact why he was the "King of Pop."  His messages were universal, he was SO relatable in lyricism, and

The BADDEST!!!

unstoppable as a performer'which kept that certain "magic" about him.  If you didn't know, you could see it, one performance by Michael Jackson, and be made a believer.  A believer in the power of music, and it's impact when it's been DONE RIGHT.  I wish I could have had the honor of seeing him live in concert.

Every solution to any challenge I faced could be found in a Michael Jackson song.  As we grew into the 90's with him, what struck me more and more was my wittnessing of the Humanitarian in him.  "Man in the Mirror" was the beginning for me, and probably my favorite of all of his "Help Humanity" type songs.  He did have more of those than any other artist I can recall.  I believe he started a trend among pop vocalists in those type of songs.  Because of him, I cared for humanity more.

When Michael sang, he didn't just sing.  He moved with the words in a spirit of passion.  He moved as though his music were a stream of power that was sure to make him take flight.  No one had to guess what it meant when he did his unmistakeable air-hump with the now trade-mark, crotch-grab that made him BAD!  He moved in divine spirit.  A spirit which I now am sure was that of the Holy Ghost.  He screeched, and wooped; he lept around on the stage.  He allowed himself to become completely taken in the enrapturment of his music.  In turn, so did we.

That is why at his concerts, oftentimes people were overcome by tears, and passing out in the crowd.  They were experiencing the Holy Ghost.  That's one thing to note, is the massive

Doin his THANG!!!

pandemonium at Michael Jackson's concerts.  It wasn't just two or three people moved to obsessive mental exassperation, try hundreds of thousands, all literally going "Wacko over Jacko."  His concerts were held in the millions in some places.  People losing sleep from excitement and not eating before they went  had something to do with it too.  To have such impact, astonishing.

Not only that, but MJ had a PR Campaign that was out of this world!  April of this year, I purchased both DVD volumes of "The History."  In the opening is the pandemonium, armies marching, and Michael all suited up in his "Ambassador of the World" getup amidst hundreds of soldiers.  He used governmental imagery to make his presense to the world known.  I honestly believe he wanted to be looked upon as a "prince of peace", and even to go so far as a demi-god.   I say that because the finaly of "The History's" opening is of a massive, golden statue of Michael Jackson being unveiled on the streets of some seemingly european city.  Spectators, media helicopters and the like, all trying to capture the glory.

The King

As much as he may have liked us to think it at times, and though he had the God-given merit, Michael Jackson was no God.  I feel the Lord allowed us to all witness, despite all his great works and majesty, that Michael was still a man.  And we would discover the deeply flawed and misguided individual that he was.  Michael Jackson was indeed a sensitive soul.  A special individual from his earliest beginnings.  He was lavished deep psychological scars upon himself  by those closest to him,

Little Michael

namely Jo Jackson, his own father.

His father was, in Michaels' sense, overbearingly hypercritical and demanded nothing but the utmost perfection from Michael.  This in turn left deep bruises of insecurity, and ultimately seeded the sometimes bizarre and eccentric, child-like behavior that Michael would exude and become known for throughout his career.

Probably the most obvious psychological damage was that exuded in the literal morphing of his own image.  To this day, he is probably thought of as the person with the most reconstructive facial surgery done, ever!  He was NEVER done "fixing his face."  And that came with repercussions that would be mocked across the globe.  He was a laughing stock, in that sense.  Sadly, He became demonized by the American press after his first accusations of child-molestation in 1993, which were never

The last face I'll keep...

founded.

He had an uncanny love for children, young boys especially.  This, we all wittnesed first-hand in his various relationships with young male celebrities of the day, namely McCauley Culkin.  Nothing out the norm, just good old-fashioned friendship.  Those celebrities never had any issues.  Just the "average Joes" kids that he would allow into his home.  They all wanted something out of him'$$$.

On that note, that is not to say that Michael was blameless in the accusations.  Granted, no grown man  of his stature should be sharing his bed with 12 year old boys.  But why take it to that place of perversion in our minds that "something other" should be going on besides sleep in that scenario?   Knowing the love of innocence that has always been apparent in MJ's character.  Why did we have to draw these conclusions?  It's  a societal mindset, and it doesn't hold true in other places in the world.

Whatsonever, the early millenium brought Michael down to an all-time low in his career.  No respect from his home country anymore. Like that, the brightest star in the galaxy had fallen.  Most people didn't look back because by then he had 2 accusations under his belt.  Both unfounded.  Plus his facial structure was deteriorating and the name, "Wacko Jacko" became befitting in many scenarios.  People forgot how much he had done for the world'it's very sad in retrospect.  I'll be honest, I laughed at him.  A lot.  However, I never believed he had the capacity to harm a child, sexually or other.  Deep down, he was a child himself.  A sheltered, and over-exploited little black boy with God-given, barrier-breaking talent from Gary, Indiana.

I think what a lot of people fail to understand about Michael is that he embodied the spirit of Peter Pan, in a sense that he never wanted to live the way he did.   He never got to be a regular kid, he even KNEW THAT as a kid. So in order to counter the pressures of rising above standard, and growing up famous, the tremendous amount of stress that embodies'he remained a child inside.  He built "Never Never Land" right here on earth, to ensure that he would keep that essence of childhood somewhere.  A place where children could be children.  Where he could be a child with children, and absorb their essence.  He knew what was denied him his whole life, it pained him, so he compensated for it the best he knew how.  Lord knows he had the money to do it. Childhood was the sacrifice, the payment Michael Jackson never forgot for Super-stardom.

He was a godsend for sure.   Sent to deliver the beautiful, unshakable, undeniable message of God to the world.  I wittnessed that first-hand with his performance of "Will You Be There," (the song from "Free Willy").  He lived his life out on stages, I realize now that I'm glad God called him home

In Memorandom

now.  The question arose on Larry King the other day, "Could you really see Micheal Jackson grow Old?" Imagine him, in his later 70's and 80's, talkin about, "I wanna Rock wit you'" lol.  Honestly, I can't. Not that I can't, but I don't really want to either.

God was timely with MJ's homecoming, it was either now, or on some stage during his 50-world tour stint that he was planning.  The Lord didn't let him die a slave to the art.  I'm glad.  Michael honored the Lord, he lived his purpose, and when one actually does fulfill their purpose here on earth, why live any longer on this plane of existence that often comes filled with pain and sorrow?  Pain ruled over Michael here, why else would one take so many pain-killers? (haha *nervous grin*).

He left an undying legacy for us all.  Let it live on through us, the children of the 80's and the 90's (they call us Generation Y, I believe). He was cool.  A christian, whether he knew it or not. He was awesome. Absolutely inspiring.  Extraordinary. Stupendous. A legend. The original Icon. He didn't just do love songs like some before him.  However, ALL of  his songs were EMPOWERING LOVE in some way.  They say God is love.  A job well done, Mike. :)

He couldn't have topped that

R.I.P Mj.

Really Love you, your music, your movies and everything you have done for people.
You were an amazing person no matter what rumors went around i always loved you. You are a complete legand and will always be in our hearts.

We Love you MJ. ❤️
Huh... gosh can't believe it's been a year already. RIP MJ, still can't believe you've gone. Thanks for creating this post, it's amazing.
OMG..Its Been A year already :o
RIP MJ Yu Are Missed Greatly ;[[x
Rest In Peace MJ. You will always be missed!
We miss you, man!

😭
R.I.P michael.
we all love and miss you.

i cant believe next month would've been his 52nd birthday - wow!