SS - My Benefactor and more short stories

divan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
My Benefactor

She watched her Jai Walia make its way slowly down the winding staircase.  Her stomach had butterflies and she shivered from the cold that seeped into her skin from the wet clothes.  He was nothing like what she had expected. The image of a kind old man, with grey hair and face covered with lines from the passage of time splintered into fragments.  The man coming down the stairs was young, tall with chiselled features, jet black hair and eyes that glinted hard like polished black diamond.  The black suit and shirt fitted his frame perfectly, yet made him look cold.  Fear filled her, was this man their guardian…Mr Jai Walia.  Would he help them, like her father had said?

Jai Walia looked at the three girls standing shivering on the marble floor of his home.  He was going to ask his brother-in-law to deal with them, but curiosity got better of him.  Why would a girl come looking for him?  They did not look as if they belonged in the same circle as him.  Infact they did not look as if they belonged in this city.  Girls did not dress in cotton salwar suits any more or have long hair.

His shoes clicked sharply on the hard floor as he walked toward them.  Standing two feet away, he spoke, his voice business like, "What can I do for you young lady?"

Bani held out the crumpled envelope which was now wet from holding it in her wet hand.  He took the envelope and ripped it open.  Taking out the letter he scanned it briefly and then turning to the side he addressed his butler, "Tony…take them to the guest room and take care of them.  I will decide what to do tomorrow."

"Bhaiya…" a voice called out from the upstairs hallway.  Bani looked up and saw a woman, dressed in heavy sari, matching jewellery and face covered in make up.  Her finely shaped brow were arched and her eyes had something more than curiosity.

"Jigyasa…I don't want to discuss anything now.  We will talk in the morning.  Goodnight."  With that, Jai Walia walked back up the stairs.

Tony cleared his throat loudly to get Bani's attention.  "Miss…if you will follow me."  Bani, Pia and Rano followed Tony down a hallway and entered a large room.  "Please, make yourself comfortable.  If you wish to take bath, there is hot water available, as well towels and anything else you need.  What would you like to eat miss?  I will bring it to your room…you look as if you need some warm food."

Bani set their small bag down on the floor.  "Thank you sir.  Anything will do…we are not fussy.   Some hot tea would nice if it is not much trouble."

Tony smiled, "Tea it is miss.  And please miss call me Tony."

"Then you must call me Bani.  And this is my sisters Pia and Rano."

"Welcome to Walia mansion Bani, Pia…Rano."

"Thank you Tony."  Bani smiled for the first time, feeling little less nervous at seeing at least one warm person in the house.

XXXXX

Even though she had fallen asleep late, Bani was up early as usual.  She got up and had a shower.  Wearing clean clothes, she tied her hair back and slowly came out of the bedroom.  The house was quiet.  Bani walked further down and saw light coming from one of the room.  She slowly walked towards it and stopped when she reached the door.  It was the kitchen and it was empty.  Unsure of whether to go back to her room again or wait, Bani heard Tony behind her, "Good morning Bani.  You are awake early."

Bani turned around and gave Tony a warm smile.  "I always wake up early.  Tony…is there a mandir in the house.  I would like to do pooja…that is if I am allowed."

As if she had asked for something precious,  Tony looked excited, "Of course Bani…come…I will show you.  Mind you…only masi makes use of the mandir, otherwise, no one else bothers.  It will be lovely to see someone doing diya and pooja everyday.  You know Bani…I am Christian, but still I like to hear masi sing when she does pooja…one must always thank God for giving us one more day to live."

Tony opened the door and let Bani step in.  The room housed a beautiful decorated dais with several murtis and polished brass diyas.  "You will everything here Bani…if you need anything let me know."

"Thank you Tony."  Bani replied softly as she covered her hair with her dupatta.

Tony stopped slicing the fruit as the soft sound of Bani's voice drifted into the kitchen.  For a few seconds he stood reverently and absorbed the singing.  If he could hear an angel sing than surely it would sound as sweet as this Tony thought.  He smiled to himself and than wished his master would allow the girls to stay.

Upstairs Jai Walia stirred as his alarm beeped in the darkened room.  He did not stay long in the bed, he got up and went to the bathroom to brush his teeth and change his clothes for gym.  Five minutes later he opened the door and quietly descended the stair to go the gym located on the ground floor.  His long legs moved swiftly along the marble floor and then squeaked to halt as he noticed the light coming from the room where the mandir was located.  Whiff of incense and burning diya flowed out of the room.  Since his masi was not here, who would get up this early to do pooja.

Tony who had been setting up the dining table, stopped on seeing Jai Walia.  "Sir…do you need something?" Tony asked.  He had set up a pitcher of water and a glass of juice in the gym as usual.

Jai shook his head, "No Tony.  Who is up Tony?  It can't be anyone else in the house since it is too early."

Tony smiled, "Sir, its Bani…the girl that came last night."

Jai cursed silently, he had forgotten about them…he had to talk to them today and decide what to do with them.  He wished he had never come across Nishikant…even after death, the guy could not leave him alone.  Just then his thought was disturbed by Bani singing the arti.

Tony couldn't resist commenting, "Sir…she sound just like an angel.  I wish masi could hear her sing."

Jai turned and frowned at Tony before moving towards the gym.

Tony shook his head and returned to the kitchen.

After few minutes Bani came into the kitchen.  "Tony can I help?" she asked. 

Tony shook his head, "There is nothing to do Bani.  Only sir will have breakfast early.  Everyone else usually get up late and they all have different requests for breakfast.  But what would you and your sisters like for breakfast?"

"Anything Tony.  At home I usually make some parathas or poha or something simple.  I make sure the girls eat before they go to school."

"Very wise Bani…now days girls don't eat properly.  Anu…sir's niece usually skips breakfast.  How about you make parathas then for you and your sisters?  I don't think I would very good at that and the cook doesn't come until late."

Bani nodded happily, finally having something to do.  It felt alien to her to be standing around doing nothing.

Bani and Tony chatted along as they worked in the kitchen.  Jai Walia stopped for a moment and listened to them and frowned again, Tony was being too liberal in his duty towards the girl.

Half an hour later, Tony served Jai Walia his breakfast, his usual omelette, toast and today he put couple of hot parathas that Bani had just made on a plate with a bowl of yougurt.  He put the plate at the side and left without saying a word.  Ten minutes later when Tony came to fill up Jai Walia's cup with fresh coffee, he noted the plate with parathas empty.  He smiled to himself and picked up the empty plate and left.  In the kitchen he said gleefully to Bani, "I think sir liked your parathas…he ate them all."

"I am sure he must be hungry after his workout Tony, an omelette is not going to fill him up."  Bani replied as she rolled out another parathas.  Tony shook his head, "No…sir is very particular about food.  Sir enjoys regular food, but Jigyasa mam hates Indian food, always complains not good for health."

Bani smiled, "Tony when you have money, your taste buds acquires different taste too."

Tony gave a sigh, "Yes…you are right Bani.  Oh pour out a cup of coffee, sir likes to have a cup in his study as he prepares for office."

Jai Walia was going through the file on desk when Tony entered with a cup coffee.  He set it on desk and then nervously called out, "Sir!"

Jai Walia without looking up, "Yes Tony?"

"Sir…the girls.  They are good girls sir…don't let go out there sir…there are jackals waiting out there for innocent girls them."

Jai Walia's head shot up and his brow arched, "Really Tony? Not everyone is a jackal."

Tony nodded his head in agreement, "Yes sir…but they are not from city sir."

"Thank you Tony.  You may go and send Bani in…since she is up…I might as well get it over."

Tony held Bani's hand, "Come….Bani…sir wants to talk.  Now don't get nervous.  He likes to bark a lot, just remember its just a cover to make people nervous."

"Thank you Tony."  Bani replied, but her stomach just did a somersault at the thought of facing Jai Walia.

Tony knocked on the door and then pushed Bani forward.

"Come in…" Jai spoke from behind the large mahagony desk.

Bani came forward and stood.  "Sit down," he ordered firmly.

Bani gingerly sat down in the large leather chair.

Jai Walia's eyes bore through her and a silence pervaded for few moments.

"What do you want from me Bani?" he finally asked.

Bani gripped her hands tightly and took a deep breath.  "Sir, I just need help temporary…to find a job and somewhere to stay.  Papa said you had agreed to be our guardian and that he had faith in you."  Bani voice tethered to a stop as she watched Jai Walia's face grow dark.

Rage burning in him wanted to throw her out right there right now, but his mind argued that the girl sitting before him was not responsible for her hateful father's blackmailing. If there was last thing he could do to close this ugly chapter of his life then he would offer temporary shelter to the girls and once Bani had found a job, he would ask them to leave.  But first he had to ask something…what did her father tell her about that fateful night…the night his car struck Kiran Dixit and killed her.

"Tell me Bani…how did you mother die?" he asked.

Tears clouded Bani's eyes and her voice shook as she spoke, "A road accident sir…papa had brought mama to see a doctor her in a city.  Papa said it was raining and he had just gone to get a taxi…when mama decided to cross the road. Papa said the driver of the car had stopped and taken mama to hospital…but she died."

"What happened to the driver?  Do you know?"  Jai Walia asked, the nails of his finger, digging hard into his palm.

Bani brushed her eyes, "Papa said, the police wouldn't charge him, saying it was raining and mama should have been careful trying to cross the road."

"How do you feel about that?" he asked, his heart beating rapidly now, the collar of his shirt seemed to choke him now.

Bani's eyes grew hard, "Sometimes I hate him…and sometimes I think it wasn't his fault if mama tried to cross the road in the rain."

Jai Walia stood up abruptly, wanting to escape outside, where he could breath freely, "You can stay for now.  I will ask Aditya…to help you find a job.  Once you feel ready, he will find a place for you to rent and you can leave."

"Thank you sir…" Bani stood up.  "I have some money…I will pay whatever you see fit as payment for our stay."

His hand shot up sharply, "That will not be necessary," he said curtly.  "Just one word of warning…try to keep to your room.  My sister Jigyasa is not as charitable as me.  Just don't upset her."

Jai Walia watched her slip out of his room.  He hated himself of being pushed into a situation not of his making and this particular one was piercing into his heart like a naked thorn.

THE END

XXXXX

Meri Paas Hai Tu 

Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas Tum Rehti Ho
Jeevan Meethi Pyaas Yeh Kehti Ho
Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas Tum Rehti Ho

Har Shyam Aankhon Par
Tera Aanchal Lehraye
Har Raat Yaadon Ki
Baarat Le Aaye
Maein Saans Leta Hoon
Teri Khushboo Aati Hai
Ek Mehka Mehka Sa
Paigham Laati Hai
Meri Dil Ki Dhadkan Bhi
Tere Geet Gaati Hai
Pal Pal ...

Tum Sochogi Kyon Itna
Maein Tumse Pyaar Karoon
Tum Samjhogi Deewana
Maein Bhi Iqraar Karoon
Dewaanon Ki Yeh Baatein
Deewane Jaante Hain
Jalne Mei Kya Mazaa Hai
Parwanr Jaante Hain
Tum Yunhi Jalate Rehna
Aa Aakar Khwabon Mein
Pa L Pal ...(Blackmail)

He entered the dark room and went to the table near the wall and picked the matchbox and pulled out a match.  A swift strike lit the match and cast a small glow around his hand.  He took the match to the diya and lit it.  The room filled with the soft glow.  His eyes shifted up to the portrait hanging on the wall…the face of his deceased wife.  Raising his hand, he ran it over the face that stared back at him, even now, 25 years later her eyes were smiling back to him.  "I love you Bani…" he whispered hoarsely, overcome by grief whenever he was in the room.

Very few people came in this room…her room.  He had made sure, nothing was removed or touched in this room.  It was still the same as the day she left.  He was scared of losing her memories…memories that the things in this room brought alive in his mind.

Jai Walia lay down on the bed and immediately felt the sensation of being cocooned in her scent…the scent that emanated from the bed.  He closed his eyes…twenty-five years have passed since he lost her.  Since then each day has been just as painful…he felt cold and lonely.  This was far from truth because his house was filled with people, his three children, Atharva, Krishna and Ganga.  All three were married now and even though they had their own homes, they still spent most of their time here in this house.  He wished she was around…they would have had a huge party…yes a huge party to celebrate their life together.

A tear rolled down his cheek and he swiped at it angrily.  She wasn't here with him because once again he had failed to see through people who pretended that they loved.  He should have realized what Meera was up to the day she had brought Bani and Ganga home.  Of course he had secretly been too overjoyed to see the only woman who he had ever loved, walk back into his home and that too with a young child who had inherited his traits.  Where Krishna was beautiful like and a spitting image of her mother, Bani, no one could dispute little Ganga his child.  Once more his children had been left motherless because he failed to protect her…protect her from someone close to him.  His nights always invaded by the gory scene…her dead body…the blood splattered everywhere, her face slashed to the bone…the beautiful closed forever.  Meera had paid with her life…but the revenge had still not erased the pain he had been left with.

"Papa…"

Jai looked towards the door and in the dim light saw Ganga standing against the door.

"Ganga…"

"Are you ok papa?" she asked softly.

"Hmmm…yes.  I just wanted to be alone." He answered back equally quietly.

Ganga walked in slowly.  She stood in front of the burning diya and folded her hands. A silent prayer formed on her lips as she closed her eyes.  After few minutes, she opened her eyes and touched the portrait with her hand and then placed the same hand on her head.  She turned and walked to the bed and sat on the edge next to Jai.

Jai reached out his hand and touched her head, "We love you beta."

Ganga clasped his hand and kissed the back of it.  "I love you both papa…I always feel she is with you."

Jai smiled, the smile did not reach his eyes.  "Yes…but now I truly wish to be her soul.  I feel my work is done.  You, Krishna and Atharva have grown up to be responsible children that any parent would be proud of…you do not need my hand to hold on to…"

"No.." Ganga cried out, tears tumbled from the corners of her eyes, "Please don't say that papa…we will always need you."

Jai stared at Bani's portrait, "We always feel that Ganga…but look at me…twenty-five years later…I have still managed to live life without your mother…even though each night I have gone to bed wishing that I would never wake up tomorrow."

A silence fell once upon the room, Ganga sat holding Jai's hand until he fell asleep.  She covered him with a blanket and kissed him lightly on his forehead.  "Good night papa…I love you." 
Faraway, deep in the sleep, bright light slowly filled his mind.  A familiar voice called out to him, he searched wildly in the blinding light until he found her face, her eyes smiled at him and arms stretched out.  He ran and gripped her soft hands and found himself cocooned in her arms.  They stood together in a timeless void surrounded by the bright light.

THE END

XXXXX

On the Road to Destiny

"Here you are…this is what you wanted, didn't you Jigyasa!" His sharp voice cut through the air.  The brown manila folders flew across the gleaming marble floor to land at Jigyasa's feet.

With a brow arched high, Jigyasa bend down and picked up the files. "What is this Jai bhaiya?" she asked, her voice hard, her eyes cold.

Jai's lips curled in a sneer.  "See for yourself.  Isn't this what you have been plotting behind my back to achieve?" he asked.

Her dark painted nail flipped open the folder and her eyes darted across the top page.  A smile formed on her face and she looked up.  Aditya and Ranveer who had followed Jai into the house, now shifted uncomfortably.  In an agitated voice, Aditya asked, "What is it Jigyasa?"

Without a flutter of an eyelid, her voice smooth as silk, Jigyasa answered, "Jai bhaiya has signed the company over to Ranveer."

"What!" Aditya screamed at Jai.  "Are you mad?  You can't hand it just like that.  Ranveer is not capable of handling the company."

Jai did not answered.  Jigyasa glared at Aditya.  "Shut up Adi…you really don't know anything.  Ranveer is more than capable of handling the business…after all he had Jai as mentor."  The last remark was laced with gloating.  "And you forget Adi…as Uday's daughter, I too have a share in the company and I have no objection to Jai bhaiya's decision."

Adi stomped his foot and said caustically, "So this is all that matters to you…the company.  What about relationships Jigyasa?  Our marriage failed, we got divorced.  Now you are severing the only relationship you have…that with your brother!"

Jigyasa's face turned ugly, the red colour seeping over her make-up covered skin.  "I am severing any relation Adi…Jai Bhaiya is welcome to stay as board of director of the company."

Adi stared at Jai, who had listened quietly.  He walked over to Jai and fell on his knees, tears fell from his soft brown eyes, "Please Jai…I beg you.  Reconsider…all your hard work will go down the drain…in few years…this company will demise.  There will be nothing left."

Sadness filled Jai's heart for Adi.  "I am sorry Adi…I have made up mind.  I am also leaving the house…the city.  I don't know where I am going…but I have to get away.  There is nothing left in this house to hold me back."

Adi reached out desperately and clutched Jai's hand, "NO!" he cried, "You cannot leave…Jai…what will I do…without you?"
Jai reached down and grabbed Aditya by his shoulders.  "Control yourself Adi.  Ranveer needs you…dadi needs you.  Take care of them."

Aditya pushed roughly away from Jai, "No one needs me…even you don't…that is why you are abandoning us."  There was sheer accusation written across Aditya's face.  Jai could not stand the look.  He averted his gaze and decided that he needed to walk out right now else he would falter in his decision.

"Mamaji…" Ranveer squeaked out just as Jai reached the door.  Jai did not turn, "What is it Ranveer?"

"I am sorry." Ranveer mumbled, "I never wanted the whole company."

"Well its too late Ranveer…you have got it…whether you want it or not.  Good bye!" Jai stepped out of the open door and got into his car without a backward glance.  He drove out recklessly onto the road and did not stop until he had left city behind him.  Only when buildings were replaced by sparse vegetation and cracked ground that Jai pulled his car off the road and brought it to halt.  He dropped his head on the steering wheel and took a deep breath.  It was done.  He had discarded what had become a burden in the last few months…his inheritance…the struggling company that had been thrusted into his hands on the death of his father.  Over the years, he had given more than what Jigyasa's share of inheritance had been, yet his greedy sister was never satisfied.  Today he had given the company that his sister desired and had planned to snatch from him.

Now that he was far away from her, Jai had no idea where to go or what to do.  He was feeling hungry and thirsty though and that thought set him off on the road again, looking for someplace to satisfy those needs.

XXXXX

Sounds of car horns and shouts woke Jai up.  He sat up on the back seat of the car and rubbed his neck, sore from sleeping in the cramped space of the car.  The sky was already brilliant blue and the sunlight washed everything in bright light.  He had parked his car as far away from dhabba as possible so as not to get disturbed by the sound of vehicles that might pull in and out of dhabba during the night.  Opening the car door, he stepped out and stretched himself.  Craving for coffee filled him and he strode purposefully towards the dhabba.

He stood with group waiting to order his coffee.  Smell of tea mixed with frying filled his nostril and his stomach rumbled with noise.  Jai ordered his coffee, ignored the protest of his stomach for a plate of freshly fried pakoras and paid for his order.  Taking the steaming glass, he walked back towards his car.  Leaning against the side of the car, he sipped his coffee and watched his surrounding.  There were cars and trucks pulling in and out of the dhaba.  The dhaba was doing brisk business.  Jai felt someone tug his pants and he looked to the side to see a young boy in torn t-shirt and shorts looking at him with his huge eyes.  He smiled at Jai, revealing set of this teeth with an odd one or two missing.

"Saab…give me something to eat…I am hungry." He said and rubbed his hand on his stomach. 

Jai raised his glass, "I don't have anything to eat, just coffee," he told the boy.

The boy pointed at dhaba, "You can buy food there…"

Jai smiled, "Yes I can.  But why don't you go home and eat what your mother has made."

The boy shook his head and said with a toothy grin, "I don't have a mother.  No one to feed me.  Please saab…buy me some food.  You have nice car…nice clothes…plenty of money."

Jai felt pity stirring within him.  "OK..what is your name first?"

"Saala!" he answered.  Jai arched his brow, "Are you sure?  That doesn't sound like a good name."

The boy scratched his dirt laden hair, "Well that is what they all say to me.  Saala haat…salaa bhag…salaa chor."

Jai gave a sad smile, "I think I will call you…Raj."

The boy gave Jai a quizzical look, "Raj…" and giggled, "it sounds good."

"Come…" Jai held his hand out.  Raj gripped it tightly and jogged in his bare feet alongside Jai.

As Jai gave order for a plate of food, the man looked at Raj and then at Jai.  "Saab…he is a beggar…don't spoil him.  They are nothing but trouble…pestering good people like you.  He doesn't want to work…but wants free food."

Jai frowned at the man, "Don't worry…it's my money…and I am sure he will work when he is old enough.  People without anyone to look after has to…otherwise no one will feed them."

Raj grabbed the plate of food and almost ran with it, until Jai grabbed his shoulder.  "Oh no you don't, come back to my car.  You can sit down and eat it slowly."

Jai watched as Raj sat down and hungrily ate the food.  When the plate was empty, he wiped his hand in dirt.  Jai grimaced, "Why don't you wash your hands, there is water tap over there."

Raj squinted as he looked up at Jai, "Kya saab…the dhabawala will beat me…if they see me using their water."  Jai swore under his breath, really people could be such a swine…people leave tap running and no one says anything to them for wasting precious water and they would hit a child for taking a handful to wash his hands.  Jai reached in the car and gave half full bottle of water, "Here wash your hands and mouth."

Raj grabbed the bottle of water as if he had been given something valuable.  He opened the top and gulped some water down before using the remaining to wash his hands and face.  He put the cap back on and then looked at Jai innocently.  "Saab…if you come with me to the tap…I can fill the bottle with water.  The man will not shout, if you are with me."

Jai grinned, liking the way Raj put his request.  "Ok…lets go."  Raj ran towards the tap and waited for Jai.  The woman who was filling plastic thermos bottle wrinkled her nose as she stared at Raj.  She opened her mouth to say something and then seeing Jai, changed her mind.  When her thermos was full, she walked away, giving Jai a funny look.  Raj happily filled up the plastic bottle with water.

"I will go and hide this…so no one think I have stolen it." Raj said as they walked back to Jai's car.  At the side of the car, Jai gave a thoughtful look at Raj and asked, "You don't have anyone, no friend to stay with."  Raj shook his head.  "No saab.  I just stay few days at places and then at night I sneak into the back of the truck and go to new place.  This way it is better for me.  No one can call the policewala to chase me away."

Regret swarmed Jai's heart.  Truly, the world was a monstrous place for children.  Last night he gave his empire to his sister, who lacked nothing in life and today…here he was seeing what it meant to be a child without nothing…no loving parents, no shelter, food or clothing.  He gazed at Raj again and then making his mind up he asked, "Raj…do you want to come with me.  I don't know where I am going…but if want you can come with me."

Raj's eyes grew large and his mouth stretched open.  "I can ride in your car…saab will take me with him."  Jai nodded and tousled Raj's hair, "yes…but first you have to take a bath and get you some new clothes.  I am not driving in a car with you smelling like shit."

Raj giggled loudly.  "Raj will take a bath…I know a place.  But I don't have any clean clothes."

"Never mind…lets find a shop to buy something for you to wear."  Jai opened the door on the passenger side of the car.  "Get in…"

THE END

XXXXX

Denouement

The cigar glowed in his hand as he slowly released the smoke from his lungs.  The smoke spiralled in lazy rings into the night sky.  The roughness of the stonewall dug into his skin at the waist, bare as he had not bothered to put on his t-shirt.  He skin was bathed in heat and he needed to cool down.  He took another drag on the cigar, savouring the aroma.  Cigar smoking wasn't something he indulged in, infact the only times he smoked ones was when he managed to win coveted projects, beating out his rivals after a fierce lobbying.  The victory declared that it be celebrated with a cigar in the company of his nephew Ranveer, who was his right hand and Aditya…the ever so reliable brother-in-law of his, who was smooth talker and a great ambassador for his conglomerate.

His gaze shifted through the open glass door and to the bed where a few minutes ago he had been engaged in another form of victory.  The woman on the bed turned over, revealing her bare back and silky legs through the edges of the silk sheets which half covered her.  Bani Dixit was his prize for the night.  It had been a gruelling duel he had engaged in…to persuade her that he wasn't a s** maniac the media made him out to be, linking him with every socialite, model or girl that he was seen with.  In a bid to sell magazines, papers and other form of media, Jai was hounded by journalists and photographers, in a bid to earn huge profit from catching him a girl in his arms.  It had not bothered him, until the magazines and papers landed in his home and the one person, his masi would get upset over the photos and articles.  Her constant nagging was, "When will you give up all this and settle down with a girl who will take care of you and your home…these girls that you go around with…they will not turn your into a home."

The first time he had seen Bani was at an exhibition of her photos.  In fact he had no interest in going, it was his sister who said that it was for charity and that if he put in a presence it would give a boost to cause and it would give his image a boost too.  So there he had been, dressed in his signature black Armani, with a smile plastered on his face while women cooed around him, trying to vie for his attention.   And then he had seen her, how could not miss her, in a sea of colourful saris and heavy jewellery and salon styled hair, he had seen her, dressed in a simple blue silk sari, with her long hair curled in a low bun at the base of her slender neck and an elaborate bindi on her forehead.  His sister Jigyasa was talking animatedly with Bani and he watched fascinated, as Bani remained cool and composed with soft smile on her face.  When Jigyasa moved away, she had looked up and met his gaze directly.  She had smiled and nodded to acknowledge his presence but had refrained from coming over.

Rest of the night, he watched her as Bani proceeded to auction of her works.  Jai had not paid particular attention to the photographs that is until a picture of a black and white portrait of a child rummaging in garbage dump was put up for auction.  He stared at the haunting eyes of the child, her face smeared with dirt looking so candidly at the camera, a whisper of smile on her tiny lips.  Of course once he put in the bid, no could match it and he became the owner of her work.  Afterwards when the evening drew towards end, Bani had walked over to him.  She had taken his breath away as he gazed at her face, the honey gold skin, the does eyes that were glinted warm pool on a hot sunny day and pink lips that looked so inviting to his eyes.  He had barely heard her words as she thanked him for his generous contribution.  For once he was left in a whirlpool of emotions of lust and desire.

The primitive desire of hunt had filled him when she had turned down his invitation for dinner and so he had deviously plotted and executed moves that eventually cornered her into committing to an evening to one of his private dinner parties at his private penthouse that few people were privileged to attend.  She had come dressed once again in a simple silk sari, a midnight blue with a red border and in a room with all the females dressed in latest designer cocktail dresses she stood out.  Few of his male friends had made a beehive for her even though Jai had warned them beforehand that if anyone made a pass at her they would find themselves dead the next day.  Jai had deliberately let her mingle with his guests, only casually coming now and having a word or two.

The party was still going on when after midnight Bani had come up to him and told him she was leaving.  He had insisted she stay but she had just smiled and said she needed to go as her mother would not go to sleep until Bani came home.  Reluctantly he had asked his driver to take her after extracting a promise from her she would meet him again soon.  The soon had been the next day when he had called her up and insisted on coming out for coffee.  Instead of coffee they had gone to the beach where he watched as she clicked away with her camera.  After she was satisfied, she insisted they have bhel-puri and coconut water to finish off their outing.  He had felt odd, dressed in a suit, sitting on the sand and downing plates of spicy snack and to top it, she had insisted she wanted to take a photo of him sitting in suit on a beach holding the plate of lowly bhel-puri.

Few days later she had called him and they had met for lunch, she had presented him with a framed photo of the snap she had taken.  He had been pleasantly surprised, it was first time he saw himself so relaxed.  And then during their lunch she had told him she was going abroad on an assignment for three months.  He had been filled with enormous disappointment but he had not shown it, wishing safe trip and hope to catch up when she got back. There had been no contact from her over three months and Jai frustration from her absence had made him highly temperamental that even Ranveer who never had qualms about popping in to his office to see him, would call up Jai's executive assistant and find out what mood he was in.

She had surprised him when she returned by calling him up from the airport.  He had demanded that she wait for him as he was coming to pick her up and cut off the phone.  Jai had called up Ranveer and told him to take over his commitments for the day and drove off to the airport.  At the airport he had sat in the car for few seconds drinking in the sight of her, for the first time he was seeing her dressed casually in jeans and a shirt.  He had pulled up and gathered her in a hug and then promptly almost lifted her up and pushed her in the car.  The drive from airport had been silence, it seems both them had been fighting their emotions, neither unable to voice their inner desires.  This was the first time Jai met Bani's parents too, middle-class couple, simple and courteous.

He had stayed briefly and than left with just "I will call to you" to Bani.  And he had called her two days later, that is earlier tonight.  They had gone out for dinner and then he had brought her back to his penthouse.  The whole evening had been filled with tension…an electrically charged aura that tugged at both of them.  The slight of brush of their hands against each other's arm had sent jolts of shock through them and their eyes had searched each other's for something that only their heart seemed to know.  He had carried her into his bedroom and laid her gently on the bed.  No words had exchanged their lips as he made love to her, the intensity and intimacy consuming them both.

"Jai!" Her soft voice broke him out of his thoughts.  He blinked and then dropped the cigar on the floor and moved towards her, standing by door.  She was fully dressed now.

"I am leaving…" she said in a hushed voice, locking his gaze with her eyes.

He touched her arm, savouring the softness of the skin underneath his palm, "Do you have to?" he asked instead of asking her to stay, which is what his heart demanded.

She pushed back her hair back, her eyes luminous with emotions, "I have to…maa will be waiting."  Unable to contain himself he pulled her in a tight hug, "When will I see you again?" he whispered.

Bani pulled back slightly from his arms and titled her face so she could look at him.  "I don't know…I…I…" she stumbled, words choking her…she could not bring herself to say she did not want to go…she wanted to stay with him.  Yet how could she stay when he did not ask her to stay?  When she did not know whether he loved her?  With a soft sob escaping.  Forcing a smile on her face, she caressed his face with her hand and then quickly walked away from him.

Jai watched her disappear out of the bedroom and the heard the soft sound of the door closing in his bedroom.  He stood rooted at the spot.  The high he had been feeling moments ago was gone.  His hand curled into a fist and he smashed it against the glass door.  Expletives left his lips as he wondered why he had let her walk out…why did he not ask her to stay…why did he not say he loved her.

THE END

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

btkr thumbnail
Haila K, you put these up here.  👏👏👏
Heartbreak thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Just one word Divan beautiful.
ducky_euro thumbnail
wow,thats all i can think of
especially the one where jai is old and reunites with bani after 25 years
keep up the wonderful job

SA
Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Read these on RPR as well and enjoyed all of them, especially the last one. Hope you continue writing some more. 😃
Indian_Goddess thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Read these on RPR and enjoyed all three of them, especially the last one. Hope you continue writing some more. 😃
jeenal20 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
hey kanta dii
all aof them were just too good diii

and keep on writing more and more stories for us

some were really heart toching.

and in the first story tony was soo good....

stranger2rose thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
very sweet and touching hope you continue to write more
Yoga4life thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hey Kanta,
My preference is:
 1) Meri Paas Hai Tu -  Jai's  love and longing for Bani is so well described, i would have voted for this one.
2) On the Road to Destiny - A very beautiful story with a message. The only thing i would say is that, when we read JB stories and one of them is missing, it does leave a blank. It would have been my favourite ss if I was not expecting a JB story.
3) Denouement : mysteries of love. Are males so dumb or they act so dumb is also a mystery in itself.
4) My Benefactor: A very good starting to a story, left untold. I would love to read another version of kasamse without the Park road raaj.
Thanks for the wonderful stories.
cheers
Shweta

Pooja_fren thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hey Kanta di,
U wrote 4 for contest. 👏
woooooooooooow I was having hard time finishing one.😆
Thank you so much.
I like last one the most.