Sonya Jehan to enthrall as Mumtaj Mahal

Aries23 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Sonya Jehan to enthrall as Mumtaj Mahal
By MIO Team

Gracing the screen this Friday is the beautiful Sonya Jehan making her Bollywood debut with Akbar Khan's magnum opus 'Taj Mahal'. Her charm is captivating and serene, making her the ideal choice to play the role of Mumtaj Mahal. Sonya Jehan is half Pakistani and half French and happens to be the grand daughter of the renowned singer-actress Noor Jehan. She is already wedded to a Delhi-based banker and has inhibitions about exposing before the camera.

After she got green signal from Akbar Khan to play the role, Sonya prepared herself by researching about her character in literature and Internet and also viewed the older versions of the film.  In the film she plays Mumtaj Mahal, the loving wife of Shah Jahan in whose memory the renowned architecture Taj Mahal was built. She has been groomed to the character by designer Anna Singh. In Sonya's words, the costumes and the jewellery made her feel like a princess and made it easy for her to gel with the character.

When asked if she was interested in Bollywood, Sonya just has to tell, "My husband is very supportive and is at ease with my decision to do films. But I'm more interested in books on child psychology than films'.

Other than her, this costliest film of India, made at a whopping budget of 80 crores stars Zulfi Syed, Arbaaz Khan , Manisha Koirala , Kim Sharma , Kabir Bedi and Pooja Batra . Watch out for this new Bollywood beauty in the theatres near you on